Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

9 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

If you seriously do believe the globe to count as a space set

If a Medieval Blacksmith can fit under the Castle theme then a Globe can fit under geographical or Space theme. An aquatic robot such as you suggested would not apply to Bionicle and made no attempt to advertise itself as such, while a Globe is inherently about exploring and has been used in Space travel, established by a Greek Astronomer with the largest globe in the world is housed in DeLorme focusing on geostational Satellite mapping technology, etc... I'm just saying it is possible Lego will attribute it to Space and release a $100 Space set to continue the trend that they have in 2020 and 2021.

As for everything else :hmpf_bad: shall let mods sort it.

11 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Where in space do you see a brown semicircular arch that is sitting on brown base that is labelled "The Earth"?

Where in Star Wars do you see a Star Wars ship with a black base labelled "Imperial Star Destroyer"?
As far as I can tell your response is that because it has a display/base stand it cannot possible be released under Space? :tongue:

11 hours ago, MAB said:

So why give images at all if nobody pays attention to them.

Probably to attempt to job memories? As they describe it: "We've even added some pretty pictures so you know what you're voting for!" though chances are anyone voting would go for a theme they remember rather than needing a memory jog. Hence why it was likely a rushed situation of selecting the first result or perhaps a specific set that is pre-chosen by Lego to represent the theme.

The situation is that you visit the 'Fan Poll' page and you can immediately click head over to the Activity page and cast your vote without seeing any of the pictures or the options. Once at the activity page you have no pictures and then you get into the vote, you have no pictures. So the pictures are only included on a single page that most people won't bother to skim through given the poll only allowed you to select from the specific themes anyway and most people naturally would think the final poll would list all the themes you could choose.

11 hours ago, MAB said:

They haven't appealed other groups any more than Bionicle though. Bionicle got Mixels, for example.

Bionicle is a brand name, title and characters - it was never applied to Mixels. The general nature of constraction themes does not mean every constraction theme is a Bionicle. The 2020 Barracuda and 2021 Medieval Blacksmith are remakes/heavily inspired by classic sets. Mixels was never that.

If people can say others should be satisfied with what they've got even if they are not, then so should Bionicle fans.

It's unlikely Lego would be able to satisfy everyone, but I don't see why people are clambering after another adult focused Pirates or Castle set when we have had those in 2020 and 2021:

• The 2020 Barracuda is a remake/heavily inspired by the Black Seas Barracuda
  • The 2021 Medieval Blacksmith is a remake/heavily inspired by the Blacksmith Shop

In regards to the expected 2022 Earth Globe our currently only other globe representation has been in Star Wars with the 'Planets' series. While a globe predates Space travel, the only associated themes would be along the lines of exploration or Space. Lego seems to be making a Lego Ideas set and then a $100 associated set in a similar theme. I can see this as an opportunity to focus on Space. It's also possible that Lego vary from the original design and turn it into a depiction of the solar system.

11 hours ago, MAB said:

And why would this set be unique? Something unique would be doing something they haven't done before. That seems to be precisely the opposite of what LEGO wanted here.

The original moulds are almost all gone, save for some pieces that were used in the technic theme. The CCBS system is also believed to be gone. It's as such not possibly for Lego to really rely on constraction - which makes it fairly unique. Lego has only dabbled with system Bionicle sets during 2005 to 2007. As such, Lego either would have to use a new constraction system, if they have one currently OR they would be reliant upon system which featured for only a short segment of Bionicle G1.

It's been done before admittedly, but the uniqueness comes from the unlikeliness of them being able to actually create similar moulds for a constraction style Bionicle that more accurately represents the theme, so if Bionicle is chosen, they would likely need to approach it from a new direction. Every other theme can pretty much be remade fairly easily by Lego as they stuck to the standard Lego system, but Bionicle has aspects that are specifically lost to time.

Edited by Scarilian

The set is not going to be Bionicle, and it's something all you Bionicle fans have to come to grips with. It's just not going to happen.
Maybe, just maybe, they'll release a special set for it on the side. But Bionicle has very little to do with the actual known LEGO system, and this is coming from someone
who was a huge Bionicle fan back in the day, and who still has a special place for those times and characters. It's just, simply put, not going to be the case
that LEGO will fill up this spot for an anniversary set celebrating their whole brand with a line that represents... very little of it, in essence. Sure, buildable figures,
but LEGO has always been first and foremost about the bricks. They're not even doing regular castle, space and pirates themes these days,
it's highly unreasonable to expect they'll churn out a BIONICLE set as their one 90th anniversary set. A little set on the side would be nice as a nod to them but that's about it.

5 minutes ago, General Magma said:

The set is not going to be Bionicle, and it's something all you Bionicle fans have to come to grips with. It's just not going to happen.

That maybe so, but lego did include it on the poll, and it made it to the very top of the first round, so Bionicle fans have a right to to speculate about, and discuss it as we always have, if that isn't the case, then lego shouldn't have wasted our collective time by even putting it on the poll in the first place.

12 minutes ago, General Magma said:

Maybe, just maybe, they'll release a special set for it on the side.

We both know lego wouldn't do that for the Bionicle community. I'd love to be wrong, but I honestly believe the best chance that the community has to ever get new stuff is if we back custom part designers like Kingsidorak and RSG, and pool our resources into manufacturing for ourselves.

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

If a Medieval Blacksmith can fit under the Castle theme then a Globe can fit under geographical or Space theme. An aquatic robot such as you suggested would not apply to Bionicle and made no attempt to advertise itself as such, while a Globe is inherently about exploring and has been used in Space travel, established by a Greek Astronomer with the largest globe in the world is housed in DeLorme focusing on geostational Satellite mapping technology, etc... I'm just saying it is possible Lego will attribute it to Space and release a $100 Space set to continue the trend that they have in 2020 and 2021.

Even if LEGO counts it as a "space" set, that it very much not what space fans are looking for.  When people think LEGO Space, I would assume most people are thinking of playsets with a futuristic design - spaceships, lunar bases, robots, rovers, etc.  Even if the Blacksmith isn't a "castle" per say, it fits in very well with the established Castle builds and themes.  They've done blacksmith shops or buildings that aren't a castle, but most definitely fit into the medieval style.  A display model of the Earth doesn't really fit with any prior space theme, whether it's the 70s Classic Space or 2009 Space Police III.  

People seem really dismissive of Bionicle, but that's ignoring the fact Lego put Bionicle in the poll and obviously had clear understanding that anything on the poll could be possible to be made into an anniversary set. We have no idea what form that will take, but it's definitely something Lego has considered. I don't think any of these remarks really makes sense, why would Lego add Bionicle if they had no option of producing a set for it? It feels like a lot of 'fans' making excuses as to why it would not be chosen, despite Lego themselves clearly considering that it could be. I understand why that has occured due to Lego cancelling Bionicle early twice, but have some faith xD

Chances are they already have a rough idea of what to make for any of the options, especially given the turnaround time is a year. It would make the most sense for Lego to use the 1st poll's winner, especially given it is many votes ahead, which was public and as such people are not going to dismiss its results like they will with the second poll. The only reason they have the option to pick any of the top 3 was likely due to a potential for the votes to be incredibly close - but they were not even close.

I also think it'd be unlikely of Lego to dismiss 6,586 unique voters who only wanted Bionicle. This number dwarfs the unique voters who only wanted Castle, Space and Pirates combined - it is our best example of unique voters without any risk of overlap with other themes:

• 6,586 users voted for Bionicle only
  • 2,557 users have voted for Castle themes or subthemes only
  • 2,457 users have voted exclusively for Space themes or subthemes only
  • 311 users have voted exclusively for Pirate themes or subthemes only

Lego won't simply ignore this, doing so would risk alienating a lot of voters. The information is also still available, so I'm sure someone with more time would be able to break up the votes to find exactly what people voted for to determine how they might vote in the second poll. Chances are those who voted for Bionicle and another theme, unless the other theme was Castle, Space or Pirates, would stick to Bionicle.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

Even if LEGO counts it as a "space" set, that it very much not what space fans are looking for.

Which is why, if my hypothesis is correct, that Lego will associate the ideas set with Space and release an accompanying $100 Classic inspired set. Similar to how 2020 got a classic inspired Pirate set and how 2021 is rumored to have a classic inspired Medieval Castle set.

We simply do not know what form the 90th anniversary set will take, so I feel fans might still be disappointed even if they win.

Edited by Scarilian

Too bad Lego didn't planned a special 90th anniversary series with 1 sets of each 5/6 (or more) most popular classic themes. Everyone would be happy.

25 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

I also think it'd be unlikely of Lego to dismiss 6,586 unique voters who only wanted Bionicle. This number dwarfs the unique voters who only wanted Castle, Space and Pirates combined - it is our best example of unique voters without any risk of overlap with other themes:

• 6,586 users voted for Bionicle only
  • 2,557 users have voted for Castle themes or subthemes only
  • 2,457 users have voted exclusively for Space themes or subthemes only
  • 311 users have voted exclusively for Pirate themes or subthemes only

Lego won't simply ignore this, doing so would risk alienating a lot of voters.

This seems disingenuous to me. There were thirty themes in the vote, and twenty-nine of them were system. Just because it's easiest to find the numbers for people who only wanted Bionicle doesn't mean that there are more Bionicle-only fans than no-Bionicle fans. I won't show up in the figures for people who voted for any specific theme - I spread my votes around three diferent themes, all of them System, because while I have my preferences I'll probably buy a System set that looks good no matter what the theme is, and unless I find myself out of money altogether I'll be getting the 90th Anniversary set if it's a System set. So Lego could pick twenty-nine of the thirty themes and get my money. I would not buy a Bionicle set, because I don't like the theme and have no use for the parts therein. Now, it's not all about me. I'm one of millions of Lego fans, and if the Bionicle set is what comes out then so be it. You can't have everything.

But I'm willing to bet that there are at least as many people like me who would never buy a Bionicle set as there are people who would only buy a Bionicle set. If the poll had been run with other Constraction themes (Hero Factory, even Galidor if they were feeling brave) some of those 6,586 users who voted for Bionicle would have added their voice to one of those themes. It just happens that Bionicle was the only theme in that system included in the poll, so non-System fans could easily coalesce around that single theme and have nothing to spread their vote around to.

As it is we can only speculate, but I can't see past one of the System themes winning. The theoretical audience is just so much bigger - and that'll probably be the deciding factor, when it comes to brass tacks.

2 hours ago, Scarilian said:

f a Medieval Blacksmith can fit under the Castle theme then a Globe can fit under geographical or Space theme. An aquatic robot such as you suggested would not apply to Bionicle and made no attempt to advertise itself as such, while a Globe is inherently about exploring and has been used in Space travel, established by a Greek Astronomer with the largest globe in the world is housed in DeLorme focusing on geostational Satellite mapping technology, etc

A medieval blacksmith being a castle set is not much of a stretch, but to say a common household object is certainly is, especially if you say a robot set with similar articulation to a bionicle figure is not a bionicle set. The mech example isn't a bionicle set though because it doesn't advertise it self as such, as you have said, but there is also no indication whatsoever that a globe would be advertised as a space set. Although the globe can be used for astronomical purposes it certainly isn't viewed regularly as such, but if it was scientifically accurate depictions of space that 'space' in this poll referred to, then the lunar lander, saturn v and city space sets would already be viewed as space sets.

Space in this survey refers to sci-fi space, not anything astronomical or scientific, the image used in the survey was the galaxy explorer, which is very different to the globe.

3 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Where in Star Wars do you see a Star Wars ship with a black base labelled "Imperial Star Destroyer"?
As far as I can tell your response is that because it has a display/base stand it cannot possible be released under Space?

A labelled display stand on a spaceship is far different to a stand that is an integral part of the model with a real purpose.

Also, please don't think I am being harsh or trying to negate your view. I know you have said its how you think the globe set could be advertised, which is completely reasonable and understandable, considering some of the previous posting in this specific forum I don't want you to think I am personally attacking your valid opinion which you are entitled to. I am saying this only because I have just written several paragraphs with the purpose of disagreeing with you, which could come across as disrespectful.

30 minutes ago, dimitri_bricks said:

Too bad Lego didn't planned a special 90th anniversary series with 1 sets of each 5/6 (or more) most popular classic themes. Everyone would be happy.

I'm not too worried about that. I don't think Lego will celebrate their 90th anniversary with only one set. We'll probably see throwbacks and promotions throughout the year, and amongst all that a "fan's all-time favourite theme" set.

5 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Bionicle is a brand name, title and characters - it was never applied to Mixels. The general nature of constraction themes does not mean every constraction theme is a Bionicle. The 2020 Barracuda and 2021 Medieval Blacksmith are remakes/heavily inspired by classic sets. Mixels was never that.

You literally contradict yourself from one paragraph to the next. 

If blacksmith can fit under a castle name then globe can be space. 

Both are under the Ideas brand name. 

Which as you say, bionicle is a brand name etc. 

Therefore, by your own reasoning, as the globe and medieval blacksmith are under the Ideas brand, they can't be castle or space. 

If you *still* want to argue after that, then I'll point out you are *entirely* missing the point of what people who want space sets are after, and what they consider as a space set. 

Sets in the style of classic space (blue, gray, trans yellow); blacktron1/2; spyrius; ice planet; m-tron; space police 1/2/3, exploriens, futuron etc. The coloured space sets with vehicles and transparent coloured pieces/canopies from yester-year of 2000 and before. 

Not a fkin globe that some random guy is going to attribute it to space so he can claim space fans 'have something'. 

Additionally, the globe set made no effort to advertise itself as a space set in a similar fashion as you claim the aquatic robot made no claim to be of bionicle. It did however make an attempt at advertising itself as a shelf decoration found in people's living rooms or offices etc. Because nowhere from space do you see a big metal bar going through the centre of the earth with a support holding it up. That globe set is a representation of a room decoration.  

You're not even clutching at straws. That's clutching at dust. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

45 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Sets in the style of classic space (blue, gray, trans yellow); blacktron1/2; spyrius; ice planet; m-tron; space police 1/2/3, exploriens, futuron etc. The coloured space sets with vehicles and transparent coloured pieces/canopies from yester-year of 2000 and before. 

Heck, people don't even really consider Rock Raiders to be space even though it's set in outer space/on alien planets.  (For what it's worth, I think it's totally fair to not really think of it under the space umbrella because for the most part, they could be futuristic Earth vehicles, they just happen to be put in space).  If people don't accept that as space, there's no chance whatsoever people are going to accept a globe model as part of space.

I understand the argument that "LEGO might count it as space" but even then I highly doubt it, I think LEGO has enough sense to know what people are asking for when it comes to space. 

6 hours ago, Scarilian said:

As far as I can tell your response is that because it has a display/base stand it cannot possible be released under Space? :tongue:

18 hours ago, MAB said:

False analogy. The Star Wars ship is perfectly functional without the stand. The Earth globe is not functional without the stand. 

6 hours ago, Scarilian said:

As for everything else :hmpf_bad: shall let mods sort it.

Wow, you're not prepared to concede a ridiculous point but dig yourself into a deeper hole. Let me spell it out for you: The Earth Globe as it is depicted in the IDEAS project, is something you put on a bookshelf or desktop. It is a functional device that was used to educate children about geography not astronomy.   It does not represent a device that space agencies use to send people into space or launch satellites.  

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

21 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

You're not even clutching at straws. That's clutching at dust. 

Okay, that’s a badass line that I’ll be using in the future!

Anyway, I haven’t really been keeping up with the discussion here, so apologies if I’m just reiterating what someone else said, but I don’t understand what’s stopping Lego from just doing a set from each of the top three or four themes in this vote. I mean, yeah, that’s three or four times as many sets they have to design and release, but obviously there’s enough interest in each of them for there to be such a debate going on online. For Pirates and Classic Space in particular, AFOLs go nuts every time a set like Barracuda Bay or Benny’s Spaceship comes out, and they seemingly sell pretty well each time. (Remember how hard to find Benny’s Space Squad was when that first came out?) Why not just do one set for each of the top picks and just release them with each quarter of the year?

16 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Anyway, I haven’t really been keeping up with the discussion here, so apologies if I’m just reiterating what someone else said, but I don’t understand what’s stopping Lego from just doing a set from each of the top three or four themes in this vote. I mean, yeah, that’s three or four times as many sets they have to design and release, but obviously there’s enough interest in each of them for there to be such a debate going on online. For Pirates and Classic Space in particular, AFOLs go nuts every time a set like Barracuda Bay or Benny’s Spaceship comes out, and they seemingly sell pretty well each time. (Remember how hard to find Benny’s Space Squad was when that first came out?) Why not just do one set for each of the top picks and just release them with each quarter of the year?

If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if they do consider doing some "throwback" themed sets after this whole thing is over.  Barracuda Bay seems to be popular, like you said, and this poll got over 70,000 votes.  Even if some of those were dummy accounts that people made to vote multiple times, that's still a ton of people interested in this.  Between the four that made it plus Adventurers and Trains, all of those had over 10,000 votes each, which I think would indicate that there is a demand for doing sets based on these old themes.

16 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

Thus why I gave a small discrepancy of around 5 percent, although I didn't factor in Hero Factory at all into this, I should have, I loved that theme and there's (obviously) a huge overlap of people who were into it and into Bionicle. But without that, There aren't many people who's first constraction theme was G2, since it was barely marketed anywhere.

You don't see the people whose first constraction theme was G2 because they're 10-15 years old now; check back in another 15 years. They might be a nostalgic AFOL demographic then. (AFOB? Adult Fan of Bionicle?)

3 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

If blacksmith can fit under a castle name then globe can be space. Both are under the Ideas brand name. Which as you say, bionicle is a brand name etc. Therefore, by your own reasoning, as the globe and medieval blacksmith are under the Ideas brand, they can't be castle or space.

If I release a trans yellow, black spaceship 'Ideas' set it has potential to fall under 'Classic Space', while it would also fall under the general theme of 'Space', It would likely fall under 'Blacktron' rather than 'Exploreins' due to brand identity. 'Space' is a theme, 'Classic Space' is a subtheme, 'Ideas' is a brand title, but it can also fall under the specific 'Brand' of Blacktron due to its nature.

Missing the point of what people who want space sets are after, and what they consider as a space set. 

Each of those would then be a brand.

• Blacktron, M-Tron, Exploriens are a brand, 'Classic Space' would be the subtheme with 'Space' being the main theme
  • Dragon Knights, Nexo Knights are brands, 'Castle' would be a theme
  • Bionicle & Hero Factory are brands, 'Constraction' or 'Buildable action figures' would be the theme

You do get some overlap in cases such as Knights Kingdom which had a 'Constraction' or 'Buildable figure' theme while also falling under the main theme of 'Castle' - but you would'nt call them 'Bionicle'.

People who want 'Space' sets don't necessarily want 'Classic Space' and people who want 'Classic Space' would probably prefer one of these brands over the others. I also doubt 'Space Police 3' would count if you are going under the mindset of 'Classic Space' unless we are straying away from the core concept a little, I can see some fans hoping for something more akin to 'Benny's Spaceship'. Though at the end of the day that is personal preference and neither you or myself have any idea how the 90th set will be structured or in what form it would take even if the theme or brand we support would get adapted.

globe that some random guy is going to attribute it to space so he can claim space fans 'have something'.

Your rudeness was solely because you took my hypothesis as an insult to your brand loyalty? :facepalm:

That was solely a tangent I went on to explain that Lego might be trying to appeal to everyone by having a rough Lego Ideas set and then milking the profits with a somewhat associated $100 set release, it was not meant to dismiss them. It was unrelated to the 90th anniversary poll beyond the potential for 2022 to already have Classic Space themed sets planned, but that does not exclude the 90th set. My point about the Globe was that due to its nature of depicting a model of the Earth, it would potentially be advertised to Space fans. That was it. That was my remark solely to fit into a hypothesis of Lego secretly celebrating some Classic themes by having a somewhat associated Ideas set releasing with an actual $100 remake of one of the Classic sets.

Edited by Scarilian

21 minutes ago, Flak Maniak said:

You don't see the people whose first constraction theme was G2 because they're 10-15 years old now; check back in another 15 years. They might be a nostalgic AFOL demographic then. (AFOB? Adult Fan of Bionicle?)

Mmm, not with the (lack of a) marketing campaign lego gave it, but hey, well have to wait about, say, 5 years at the soonest? and see

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

People who want 'Space' sets don't necessarily want 'Classic Space' and people who want 'Classic Space' would probably prefer one of these brands over the others. I also doubt 'Space Police 3' would count if you are going under the mindset of 'Classic Space' unless we are straying away from the core concept a little,

Space or classic space usually refers to sci-fi space, that would include those examples and many others. Classic space however is usually the earliest sci-fi space sets, from 1978 to the mid-80s, followed by blacktron and others. Most people who want space would happily have anything sci-fi space related.

1 hour ago, Kingriedak said:

Mmm, not with the (lack of a) marketing campaign lego gave it, but hey, well have to wait about, say, 5 years at the soonest? and see

Bionicle G2 fans were largely children, who would have been the primary market for such sets. They wouldn't remember the original bionicle because they probably weren't alive so the change in storyline wouldn't matter, from what I saw they were quite popular with KFOLs.

I think bionicle should actually get some 18+ attention (not in this poll, I want space!!!) focusing on the G1 sets. It can afford to be niche because if it is done correctly there is a large enough fanbase for it, if too much time passes Lego could miss out on what would be a good opportunity. There is obviously demand for the products as this poll has shown.

Anyway, we should all remember that it will be the 100th anniversary soon, and I anticipate that TLG will probably release a larger line of sets then.

10 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

I think bionicle should actually get some 18+ attention

I mean, they kind of had last year to do that with the Ideas diorama that they didn't accept. Of course, being that it was system with minifigs I myself wouldn't have bought it, but I honestly doubt lego is looking for figure focused way to approach Bionicle again, and more just hoping that the community would migrate to ninjago or something

15 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

if too much time passes Lego could miss out on what would be a good opportunity.

It is Bionicle's 20th anniversary this year, which would be the perfect time for them to do something, but the closest possible date that I see them doing anything would be 2022, with either Bionicle getting the 90th anniversary by itself, or possibly splitting the winning spot with the other top 3 in smaller sets, any longer than that and my pseudo dark age will probably be fully realized

5 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Heck, people don't even really consider Rock Raiders to be space even though it's set in outer space/on alien planets.

Yeah, I had no idea that Rock Raiders had a space setting until I saw Nick on Planet Ripple's Rock Raiders video. My brothers had some sets back in the day, and they didn't know either. I checked in the 1999 US S@H catalogs, and didn't see anything that mentioned that the theme isn't set on earth. It's mentioned in the UK catalogs though...

This thread is getting a bit hard to follow, but I'll chime to let it be known that I don't consider a globe to be a space set :grin:.

Do we know when we'll be told which theme was chosen? (And as for the set itself, surely we'll have to wait months, if not most of a year, to see any preview of that, so hopefully it isn't some hype/disappointment cycle.)

1 hour ago, Stuartn said:

Space or classic space usually refers to sci-fi space, that would include those examples and many others. Classic space however is usually the earliest sci-fi space sets, from 1978 to the mid-80s, followed by blacktron and others. Most people who want space would happily have anything sci-fi space related

True, though at the same time the user I was responding to included several post 80's themes and some post 2000's themes as examples of their view of 'Classic space' such as 2002's Ice Planet or 2009's Space Police 3. The later of which focused a lot on smoothing and updating the builds rather than the classic style which is generally more pointed and blocky.

• Some fans seem to want a complete return to the original asthetic
  • Some want an updated version of the sets maintaining a similar colour scheme even if it means abandoning the asthetic
  • Some want a combination of the two to varying extents
  • Etc...

I don't think it would be as simple as 'release an updated set' to appeal to 'Classic Space' fans - and I'm sure some Space fans exist who buy only the IRL inspired sets or other variations.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:25 PM, Modal said:

People consider Saturn V, International Space Station, Lunar Lander, etc as Space sets. Don’t think that’s too far fetched of an idea.

Edit: There’s even More! 60228 Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control. 60226 Mars Research Shuttle, etc. 

Saying Benny’s Spaceship is the last Space set to come out is more far fetched, imo, especially if people are going to claim that the Medieval Blacksmith is a “Castle” set.

You say this...then say you don’t want to get into semantics over a theme. Well, the Blacksmith is a Castle set, just as much as MMV & Mill Village Raid are Castle sets. 

I’d wager more people mean Classic Space(or like sci fi outer space stuff) when they say space as opposed to real world space. 

12 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Even if the Blacksmith isn't a "castle" per say, it fits in very well with the established Castle builds and themes.  They've done blacksmith shops or buildings that aren't a castle, but most definitely fit into the medieval style.  A display model of the Earth doesn't really fit with any prior space theme, whether it's the 70s Classic Space or 2009 Space Police III.  

The Blacksmith doesn't fit in very well, not even well, with established castle builds. The scale and detail are completely wrong.  That's like taking a series of quite basic open backed City buildings and saying a Modular fits into the same theme. Or taking some Classic Space builds and putting in some Star Wars sets too (minus the figures) or Bionicles and adding in some Mixels, mechs or CCBS parts from superheroes,  SW or Chima. They are a bit the same but not really.

10 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Heck, people don't even really consider Rock Raiders to be space even though it's set in outer space/on alien planets.  (For what it's worth, I think it's totally fair to not really think of it under the space umbrella because for the most part, they could be futuristic Earth vehicles, they just happen to be put in space).  If people don't accept that as space, there's no chance whatsoever people are going to accept a globe model as part of space.

I understand the argument that "LEGO might count it as space" but even then I highly doubt it, I think LEGO has enough sense to know what people are asking for when it comes to space. 

Forgot about them to be honest (and their sets were decent too, but never had them) :tongue: and power miners although not sure where that was set exactly, I just loved the little transparent bodied little rocklings. In my personal view, I believe they could be classed as a space theme, but can also understand to a degree of it not falling in line with the typical 'Space' theme as, it's all underground stuff. I'm not getting dragged into a debate on that, asides from the fact I don't mind what people class that one as, this debate is more than enough for me :laugh:

7 hours ago, Scarilian said:

If I release a trans yellow, black spaceship 'Ideas' set it has potential to fall under 'Classic Space', while it would also fall under the general theme of 'Space', It would likely fall under 'Blacktron' rather than 'Exploreins' due to brand identity. 'Space' is a theme, 'Classic Space' is a subtheme, 'Ideas' is a brand title, but it can also fall under the specific 'Brand' of Blacktron due to its nature.

Each of those would then be a brand.

• Blacktron, M-Tron, Exploriens are a brand, 'Classic Space' would be the subtheme with 'Space' being the main theme
  • Dragon Knights, Nexo Knights are brands, 'Castle' would be a theme
  • Bionicle & Hero Factory are brands, 'Constraction' or 'Buildable action figures' would be the theme

You do get some overlap in cases such as Knights Kingdom which had a 'Constraction' or 'Buildable figure' theme while also falling under the main theme of 'Castle' - but you would'nt call them 'Bionicle'.

People who want 'Space' sets don't necessarily want 'Classic Space' and people who want 'Classic Space' would probably prefer one of these brands over the others. I also doubt 'Space Police 3' would count if you are going under the mindset of 'Classic Space' unless we are straying away from the core concept a little, I can see some fans hoping for something more akin to 'Benny's Spaceship'. Though at the end of the day that is personal preference and neither you or myself have any idea how the 90th set will be structured or in what form it would take even if the theme or brand we support would get adapted.

Your rudeness was solely because you took my hypothesis as an insult to your brand loyalty? :facepalm:

That was solely a tangent I went on to explain that Lego might be trying to appeal to everyone by having a rough Lego Ideas set and then milking the profits with a somewhat associated $100 set release, it was not meant to dismiss them. It was unrelated to the 90th anniversary poll beyond the potential for 2022 to already have Classic Space themed sets planned, but that does not exclude the 90th set. My point about the Globe was that due to its nature of depicting a model of the Earth, it would potentially be advertised to Space fans. That was it. That was my remark solely to fit into a hypothesis of Lego secretly celebrating some Classic themes by having a somewhat associated Ideas set releasing with an actual $100 remake of one of the Classic sets.

Not quite. Well, mostly right, except classic space is the blue/gray with trans yellow. The hypothesised set you state has no potential to fall under it. Even TLG class classic space as the blue/gray/trans yellow subtheme. The branding of that is the logo. To all intents and purposes, 'classic space' is as much a brand as m-tron, blacktron, and bionicle. Google the word 'lego classic space' and you'll see nothing but gray/blue/trans yellow and the moon logo with rocket ship. 

Space is a theme, correct. But there has become an indistinct definition and seperation of what space fans mean by 'Space' and 'space'. 

I guess it can be slightly confusing, but it's a similar mindset for the most part throughout space fans. I had a similar mindset I naturally gravitated towards before realising it was an actual thing others did as well (perhaps not the capitalisation of one and not the other to distinguish, but the word 'space' having 2 seperate definitions when it comes to what type of space sets are meant). 

Space is the subthemes I mentioned previously (while having missed out a few. Yes, I'd also include SP3, as the slight straying of design is simply modern techniques and newer part availability. The essence was still very much prevailant and there). That includes Classic Space. It's the style. 

Then there is 'space'. This is the main overbearing generic 'anything to do with space'. Such as Saturn V, women of nasa, the recent city space sets (60226 as example), the ISS, the rover etc. 

Similarly for Bionicle fans where some would be happy for anything bionicle related or similar (HF/KK/Bionicle g1/Bg2 etc) there are those die hards that only will be happy getting Bionicle G1 or whatever their preference is. 

Same thing goes for Space, I'd personally be happy for anything in the style of the list I previously mentioned while having a preference for some. I didn't collect classic space, but I'd certainly be more than happy if something classic space themed was made. Others, may only be happy if it's only classic space and not something else. 

Nope, my 'rudeness' (frustration) was purely because you were still trying to justify the idea that the globe could in any stretch or manner be classed as a space set when it just can't. 

It's a tedious link with a ridiculous degree of seperation that is absurd to logically believe authentic. 

If you want to go that route, then bionicle is also space. Set on another planet in different worlds, which, you know, float in space therefore, bionicle is actually space. 

Castle could be considered a space theme because, if they look up at the sky, what do they see? Stars, and the sun and space... So, space. 

Trolls is space because I'm certain the creators were originally stoned when coming up with the idea of little naked people with massive neon hair and so were spaced out. Thus, being a space set. 

*If* the globe didn't have its base, and arch that supports the rotating axis, but was instead presented sat on a transparent stand made of transparent clear bricks because its meant to be an actual representation of the actual earth, *then* I could get on board believing it *could* potentially fall under the category of 'space' (generic space, not Space). But it has that base and arch, it's clearly depicting a model found in people's living rooms or offices or class rooms etc. That's all it is. 

TLG know better than to try advertise that to space (especially Space) fans. 

Edited by Fuppylodders