Thirdwigg

[MOC] Ionos Sports Sedan (Free Instructions)

Finished MOC at rebrickable.com for both AWD and RWD.

51753076983_c5c2167734_b.jpg

My employment can often be intense during the fall, and this past fall was no exception. After an intense period, I turned to LEGO to rest well over the holidays. I wanted to start a comprehensive project during this time to let my mind wander down a creative outlet.

I seem to cycle through tractors, cars, and Unimogs, so this time I was ready to try another car. I am a proponent of the sports sedan, in life and in builds, so that was an easy decision. It has been some time since I have built a 1:10 car, and since then the new 42110 wheels are now available. This would be a center feature of the build to see if I could take advantage of the new offset in both suspension and steering. I hope the blue sports sedan will look somewhat sporty, but not like the current BMW faux sporty. 

When I build I always set the dimensions first, based on the wanted features. The car will be 50-52 studs long with a 33 stud wheelbase. Body width is 23 studs, with a fender width of 25 at the front and 27 studs at the rear.

"System Builds" have become a recent theme of my builds in that a center build can easily accommodate changes or additions easily. I wanted this to be the central theme of the sedan; more than a modular build the system will allow for flexibility and interchangeability. Thus, there are two categories of features to the sedan.

System Modules

• Transmission/Rear Suspension
  • Front Suspension/Steering
  • Engines
  • Floorpan
  • Unibody
  • Seats
  • Doors/Hood/Trunk

Features (Options)

• Independent Suspension
  • Steering: HOG/Wheel
  • Working Fake Motor (V8, I6, F6, Hybrid)
  • Working Transmission (4S Manual, 4S Sequential)
  • (RWD/AWD)
  • Removable Body
  • Seating for Four
  • Opening Hood, Trunk, Doors

After setting some hard points, I had a general idea.

800x800.jpg

I had hoped that I could have a front suspension module and a rear suspension module, but already at the above stage, it was becoming clear that separating the transmission from the rear suspension would result in too many structural compromises.

800x600.jpg

Above you can see the general idea for the front suspension "bathtub" that will connect to the rear suspension/transmission module. The engine will drop in, and the lock in between the two modules. The HOG is placed above the dashboard with steering controls traveling under the engine. This bathtub will hold a V-8, an I-4, and an I-6.

I very much want to have the I-6 engine be part of the final build, but it is causing a lot of problems. It's just soooooo long. In fact it and the supporting structure come within 2 studs of the front of the car. I may have to go all Audi, and change it to a I-5 which may be just the right amount of weird. 

800x600.jpg

Above you can see, generally, how it will come together. This version includes the sequential transmission module, and the AWD front module.

The AWD module is the hybrid version. This "bathtub" is locked in that the engine is chosen for you: you get the Flat 6 engine with two fake electric motors, one for each side of the front axle, that function as an electric assist. 

More is coming... Next I'll work on the structural floorpan, and a unibody that will drop on to all modules and give additional structural support. 

My builds are taking too long these days, so I am going to put a due day of May 22, 2021 for this project. Maybe that will incentivize it's timely completion. 

Edited by Thirdwigg

That's a nice start, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of the solution for the steering wheel rotation. At this scale I would try to have a more realistic solution (U-joints & crap)

29 minutes ago, chlego said:

Not sure about the flat 6, usually no sedan has one.

Yob mobiles?

Edited by Bartybum

22 hours ago, Lipko said:

That's a nice start, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of the solution for the steering wheel rotation. At this scale I would try to have a more realistic solution (U-joints & crap)

Thanks @Lipko, I agree with the critique of the steering wheel solution. The front is getting very dense, and any additional space is being used to stiffen the structure, so I am not sure I can get this in. I'll see what I can do.

15 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Looks good!

An I-5 would be fun to include!

I'm still holding out for the I-6, and I think I got it to work. Now I'm having trouble with the V-8 fitting. Ugh....

7 hours ago, chlego said:

Not sure about the flat 6, usually no sedan has one.

Keep up the great work!

7 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Yob mobiles?

Yeah, the Subaru Legacy (I guess they are called Yob mobiles?) had one for a while. They are certainly not common. But just because they don't (often), doesn't mean they shouldn't. Porsche would have been on brand if they offered one in the Panamera, but....

800x600.jpg

OK, above is a draft bodywork that sets on top of the chasses module. This shows the wheelbase at 32 studs, and since the doors were not able to open well, I changed the wheelbase to 33 studs. The bodywork will be a moving target, but would like to keep some general three box look with fender flairs. 

Edited by Thirdwigg
typo

I see you are wasting no time with your 2021 list. A very solid start! Personally I think the steering solution is not much worse than "u-joints and crap" (:laugh_hard::thumbup:), super compact and efficient. A guess it is a bit less realistic, but so is the transmission in the back. I assume "system" or modularity takes the priority here.

A bit off topic: I always feel that placing the gearbox away from the fake engine is wrong. To the point where it almost feels like it is not worth it. What is your opinion on that (obviously you are okay with it, but still)? To what scale you need to go to do it in a more realistic way? Does anyone remember any examples out of their head? Again, sorry for off-topic, let me know if this is a wrong place do discuss it. Just the whole theme of modularity got me thinking.

5 hours ago, proran said:

A bit off topic: I always feel that placing the gearbox away from the fake engine is wrong. To the point where it almost feels like it is not worth it. What is your opinion on that (obviously you are okay with it, but still)? To what scale you need to go to do it in a more realistic way? Does anyone remember any examples out of their head? Again, sorry for off-topic, let me know if this is a wrong place do discuss it. Just the whole theme of modularity got me thinking.

Certain front-engine rear-drive sports cars will have the transmission mounted at the rear, usually as a transaxle around the differential, in order to help with weight distribution. No sport sedans with such a configuration come to mind, but it is a real solution.

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Certain front-engine rear-drive sports cars will have the transmission mounted at the rear, usually as a transaxle around the differential, in order to help with weight distribution. No sport sedans with such a configuration come to mind, but it is a real solution.

Fair point, thanks.

10 hours ago, proran said:

A guess it is a bit less realistic, but so is the transmission in the back. I assume "system" or modularity takes the priority here.

Yeah, for this car the transmission is where it fits and allows for flexibility. The manual fits in the front and the shifter is at hand for the driver, so that's were it goes. The sequential is wider, so I tried to tuck it between the rear seats. 

You are correct, most cars have the transmission right next to the engine for simplicity, but some do place it in the rear as part of the drive axle for better balance, as noted by @2GodBDGlory. The Austin Martin Rapide and Maserati Quattroporte are two examples of sedans that have this configuration. 

Ah, the manual goes in the front, I've missed it in the second picture. This is cool. Thanks for the replies guys.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:24 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Looks good!

An I-5 would be fun to include!

I5 like in classic Audi? Perhaps this advertisement could give him an idea :wink:

Just a small update today. I had a little time, so tried a couple of drafts for the seats.

800x600.jpg

I like the one on the left, and fits the easiest, but the side bolsters can pivot, which is no go for me. Draft two fixes this problem, and draft three (far right) I like the best. Though, I don't like the headrest. I plan to use DBG for the seats, and maybe some highlight color.

Fitting four of these seats in may be another challenge as the center transmission is not uniform between both options. So that may change the shape the seat a little more. We'll see.

800x600.jpg

I have a general draft of the bodywork that I'll show soon, but I have also been working on specific areas. Above is a draft of the front. Nothing solid yet, but the short front overhang is complicating my options. You can see here how far that I-6 motor extends to the front.

More later.....

Imho best would be combination of first (headrest) and last (the rest)

Or maybe last seat and one of these new small tri axle connector panels (from 42122 or 42123)? Maybe supported by an axle connector with pin hole on each side (though not sure if the shoulder parts are angled the same way than the part that supports the head rest).

11 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Imho best would be combination of first (headrest) and last (the rest)

+1. Pretty sure those headrest piece (quite creative part usage actually) come in black. That would look pretty good on the far right one.

1 hour ago, langko said:

+1. Pretty sure those headrest piece (quite creative part usage actually) come in black. That would look pretty good on the far right one.

It is in black in 8448 set :grin:

@I_Igor @johnnym @langko, all of you are right, the first headrest piece is perfect, and looks best.

But, how to add it?

800x1067.jpg

I added the black part, to the modified version (left), and it's a step backwards. The bolsters are stressed, the headrest can turn, and the headrest angles too far forward. I'll keep working on it, but I may set it aside for a couple of days. I can fix these problems by making the headrest in line with the seatback, but that looks funny to me.

It's the attention to these kind of details that slow down my builds.

Edited by Thirdwigg

38 minutes ago, johnnym said:

Actually I meant this piece:

71682.png

...as head rest.

I know, I don't have them yet, but they are on order. I'll try them when they arrive. 

How about something like this? Everything is fixed and nothing is stressed. 

IMG-5134.jpg

Edited by langko

@langko yes! This is exactly what I need. Let me make a couple and try the fit. Thanks, sometimes a simple solution is right there, but you can’t see it because you have been looking at something else for too long. 

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

@langko yes! This is exactly what I need. Let me make a couple and try the fit. Thanks, sometimes a simple solution is right there, but you can’t see it because you have been looking at something else for too long. 

No worries! I definitely agree, The amount of times I’ve spent hours trying to do something just to find an easier way later... 

Just so it’s clear as its hard to tell in the photo.The dbg piece under the headrest runs vertically not horizontally. Otherwise the angles don’t work.

Alright, four seats are in. Design 3 is on the right, and design 4 (Thanks @langko) on the left. I’ll need to make some adjustments for the sequential transmission chassis, but something here will work. I’ll clean up the colors at some point. I would like to keep DBG, but maybe the seats will have to be LBG.

800x600.jpg

In this photo the seats are mounted to the floorpan, but I have moved them to the unibody. This eases the unibody removal at the expense of making the chassis look a little more bare.

Edited by Thirdwigg