Jim

Technic General Discussion

Is the 8285 a good set? should i get one? (i have seen one cheap) it looks really great but i can't sell myself on it just yet, any second opinions?

Absolutely SUPERB model!....easily in the top 5 Technic sets imo. Huge level of detail....the model is MASSIVE and quite heavy. It uses pnumatics + gears for its functions....most of which are neatly hidden away inside two of gour very nice looking and large panels.

Lots of rare/unique Silver Metallic elements....really fun to play with and the B model is just as good!

Its still in very high demand and new sets costs a fortune!....€400+

The Metallic Silver stuff is constantly sought after and command high prices.

So if you get a set at a good price grab it!.....i'll byt the Metallic Silver parts from you :-)

Is the 8285 a good set? should i get one? (i have seen one cheap) it looks really great but i can't sell myself on it just yet, any second opinions?

It's been on my wanted list for a while ... finally bought one today ... coming all the way from the Netherlands (still cheaper than buying local)

^ you are correct, there are a few versions of this set. Some came with all 10 wheel hubs in Metallic Silver while others only had 6. Eventaully when they ran out of stock they changed the hubs to LBG. Same scenario with the other Metallic Elements, some sets had 8 of part #75535 in Metallic Silver while later sets changed to LBG.

TLG only produced a certain amount of Metallic Silver parts, as they ran out of each part they changed the respective part # to Light Bluish Gray

You are supposed to show your LEGO workspace, not your model trucks.....wait a minute....

Nice collection of MOCs (still no proper abbreviation for someone else's MOC). You are probably a Model Team fan too :sweet:

On the abbreviation...

How about SEC, someone elses creation or SED, someone elses design?

Just a thought...

SEC = Securities and Exchange Commission ... Those are the people empowered with ensuring the Stock Market runs as it's supposed to (almost).

In another topic (General Discussion?) I proposed SEMOC, someone else's MOC.

If you're talking directly to the creator of the MOCs, it should be "YOC", your own creation. For a third person, I suggest "HOC" or "TOC", meaning her/his/their own creation. ;-)

SEC = Securities and Exchange Commission ... Those are the people empowered with ensuring the Stock Market runs as it's supposed to (almost).

well MOC = Mars Orbiter Camera

but that doesnt seem to stop us lego people from using it...

http://www.abbreviations.com/MOC

Edited by Eigenbroetler

How about NMOC = Not My Own Creation. Or !MOC if you're into computer programming.

How about NMOC = Not My Own Creation. Or !MOC if you're into computer programming.

I like it. It's simple and easy to understand :thumbup:

I also like !MOC :laugh:

Looking at the past racecars from TLG which do you guys think is the best? 8461, 8458, 8674, or 42000? Aren't 8461 and 8458 similar with different colors?

8458 is my favorite because it was innovative and big. 8461 and 8674 models were Silver champions on disguise.

42000 looks better, benefits from new parts but is smaller. It probably is the best but after so many years I still remember being in awe with Silver champion and not so much with 42000 due to the existence of the older models.

I think what really makes the older F-1 cars more awesome than the 42000 is the wheels/tyres they used then. The ones on the 42000 just look too skimpy.. :blush:

8458 is my favorite because it was innovative and big. 8461 and 8674 models were Silver champions on disguise

8461 yes 8674 no: 8641 is the really 99,9% the same as 8458 just with the new panels (BTW: therefore i like the williams more because IMHO the old panels make the 8458 looking too jagged)

But 8674 is a complete New and complete studdless design whereas 8458 and 8461 have an internal structure made with studded beams. The Ferrari has also other freatures whereas the older ones are really identical.

IMHO the Suspension of the Mercedes and the Williams is too weak (front) whereas the ferrari suspension works a little bit better at the front axle

So my favorites are the Williams and the Ferrari. I have cannibalized the 8458 for the ninja supercar of nat Kuipers which is made of the two sets 8466+8458....

I was wondering what the different classes of offroad racing are?

I know that trophy trucks are the fastest, and correct me if I am wrong but trial trucks are the slowest( but the most powerful).

If anyone knows because I've googled it but have not found anything useful.

Thanks

saw this today wondered if it would be possible to be made from technic?

kazarinov_01.jpg

Nice looking concept, but such articulated vehicle would be very difficult to drive, because it'll be unstable. There is no 'mechanism' to keep all the wheels aligned on the same trajectory and those would naturally have a tendency to 'wiggle' and thus are unstable. The dynamics of articulated vehicles are more tricky than those with a single chassis.

Edited by DrJB

saw this today wondered if it would be possible to be made from technic?

Of course it is. If you can imagine it, you can build it!

The dynamics of articulated vehicles are more tricky than those with a single chassis.

Yep, but truck drivers are

when facing that problem :wink: