38 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

To control a blade and ripper? Even with drive, one hub would do.

It could easyly has two hubs - one for drive & steering, another hub for two front and two rear functions.

45 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

To control a blade and ripper? Even with drive, one hub would do.

The blade and ripper each have two functions associated - lift and tilt. That makes for six functions with two hubs.

Edited by Bartybum

There was a ton of speculation about the specs/mechanics of 42114 before it was launched - but I don't remember anyone guessing anything remotely like its gearbox. OK, the set may have been a bit of a disappointment in other ways (I've only read that; I don't have one myself), but Lego blindsided us with a funky new technical solution noone had considered (at least in an official set rather than a MOC). Let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll somehow take advantage of Control+ to do something cool and unexpected. Perhaps with a few interesting new parts as well...

(and yes, I'm privately keeping fingers crossed, against all reasonable hope, for RC pneumatics...)

5 minutes ago, J159753 said:

There was a ton of speculation about the specs/mechanics of 42114 before it was launched - but I don't remember anyone guessing anything remotely like its gearbox. OK, the set may have been a bit of a disappointment in other ways (I've only read that; I don't have one myself), but Lego blindsided us with a funky new technical solution noone had considered (at least in an official set rather than a MOC). Let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll somehow take advantage of Control+ to do something cool and unexpected. Perhaps with a few interesting new parts as well...

(and yes, I'm privately keeping fingers crossed, against all reasonable hope, for RC pneumatics...)

Many flagships have some cool new parts that brings new functionality. 2020 flagship only had angular motor, but 2019 had control+ and much more as new parts, 2018 didn't have much, 2017 was.....2016 had the large quarter gear racks, 2015 had new pneumatics. So what really cool new parts could a bulldozer really need if it's just another PU/LA based thing? 

9 minutes ago, allanp said:

Many flagships have some cool new parts that brings new functionality. 2020 flagship only had angular motor, but 2019 had control+ and much more as new parts, 2018 didn't have much, 2017 was.....2016 had the large quarter gear racks, 2015 had new pneumatics. So what really cool new parts could a bulldozer really need if it's just another PU/LA based thing? 

The real machine has 3 forward and 3 backward gears. I think TLG may implement that.

20 minutes ago, allanp said:

So what really cool new parts could a bulldozer really need if it's just another PU/LA based thing? 

A subtractor drivetrain. It’s unnecessary, but it’s cool and I’d be impressed if they did it

A subtractor mechanism means that, for going straight, only one motor provides power and the other is just dead weight. The advantages are that it is capable of going perfectly straight and the motor for turning can be less powerful than the one for going straight, neither of which is very significant for a remote-controlled model.

37 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

A subtractor mechanism means that, for going straight, only one motor provides power and the other is just dead weight. The advantages are that it is capable of going perfectly straight and the motor for turning can be less powerful than the one for going straight, neither of which is very significant for a remote-controlled model.

Dito. Would be a waste on this model, as it will not win a price for speed.

But thinking about TLG, it might be possible, as they put a 3-speed-gearbox in the 42114. In my opinion, this should belong into a museum! into a rc race car.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The real machine has 3 forward and 3 backward gears. I think TLG may implement that.

Possibly, but what cool new parts would it use? Does the real one use standard gears or planetary gears?

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

A subtractor drivetrain. It’s unnecessary, but it’s cool and I’d be impressed if they did it

Yes but what cool new parts would that need, and does the real one use a subtractor mechanism?

I guess subtractror gearbox could be made to run with two (coupled) motors for drive and one to steer, as single motor drive would probably be too weak for this scale. Coupled with blade+ripper lift and tilt it would take 7 slots in the two hubs. 8th function could be the three speed gearbox for drive.

No cool new parts though with this configuration so I'm not really expecting it.

4 hours ago, allanp said:

2018 had the wave selector, which was probably one of the most important parts of the decade.

Just now, howitzer said:

2018 had the wave selector, which was probably one of the most important parts of the decade.

Ah yes, forgot that one, and the 20t clutch gear. Was thinking more about the flagships for each year.

Just now, allanp said:

Ah yes, forgot that one, and the 20t clutch gear. Was thinking more about the flagships for each year.

You don't consider the Bugatti a flagship? RTC had bigger parts count yes, but it was much less expensive and didn't have much of anything new, it was just a really big set.

1 minute ago, howitzer said:

You don't consider the Bugatti a flagship? RTC had bigger parts count yes, but it was much less expensive and didn't have much of anything new, it was just a really big set.

IFAIK the 1:8 supercars aren't considered to be flagships because they are part of their own separate line of sets. 

7 minutes ago, howitzer said:

42082 was the 2018 flagship for sure.

5 hours ago, howitzer said:

RTC had bigger parts count yes, but it was much less expensive and didn't have much of anything new, it was just a really big set.

It introduced the banana gear.

15 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Wasn't that BWE (42055)?

...and in banana colour :wink:

10 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This sounds likely to me. The fully rc gearbox in 42114 is its main selling point IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to take it up a notch (also: the high price is most likely driven by more motors).

12 hours ago, AVCampos said:

A subtractor mechanism means that, for going straight, only one motor provides power and the other is just dead weight.

That’s actually a really good point that I hadn’t considered. Two XLs would give you much better performance than just one. By that alone I think it’s likely that the tracks will just be direct drive (after a reduction gearbox)

6 hours ago, AVCampos said:

No it didn't, as I_Igor mentioned, the gear was introduced in the BWE, though I believe the RTC had it for the first time in black.

6898 pieces, 1 hub, 4 motor. 

Either it has a 8043 distribution gearbox, or TLG has gotta be kidding me! 

Why cant it have two hubs and 6 motors? Who would need that many parts for a dozer?

On 1/13/2021 at 11:31 AM, Bartybum said:

The blade and ripper each have two functions associated - lift and tilt. That makes for six functions with two hubs.

No it doesn't.

17 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Why cant it have two hubs and 6 motors? Who would need that many parts for a dozer?

Because people would complain that it's too simple, just one motor per function, like they do with the 42100. Whatever option TLG takes, somebody will complain that they should have chosen the opposite.