Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Series 22 leaflet leaked on IG

While Promobricks described the alien as insect-like, it's actually more like a snail. A let down, IMO. Because of the Promobricks post, I was expecting a Galaxy Squad throwback

The Robot is ok. I like it better than the alien

You think it looks like a snail. It looks like that classic Trek species but purple. I think they should have just made a new classic space helmet in purple. That would have made people happy.

2 hours ago, Maple said:

It looks like that classic Trek species but purple. 

Are you referring to the Andorians? If so, I disagree; the VIDIYO aliens look more like Andorians than this Minifig (the only similarity that I see is that antennae). 

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

While Promobricks described the alien as insect-like, it's actually more like a snail.

I am not really sure how I feel about the "snail-ien": Usually, I like getting references to Classic Space, but when compared to the rest of the figure, the Classic torso print just looks plain. I would have preferred a Classic-inspired design (see Cyber Drone droid), a solid purple Classic astronaut with an alien head, or something else entirely (like a Galaxy Squad or Insectoids reference). As it is, the design just feels muddled. 😕

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Oh man, personally I love the look of that alien—the face (with stalk eyes and a mouth where the face would normally be) feels very low-budget retro sci-fi, in a good way. The lack of a helmet in purple is a slight bummer, but I feel like the distinctiveness of an alien crewmate makes up for it. And who knows? A purple helmet could wind up coming in a theme like Friends before long for all we know (sort of like how the Ninjago Prime Empire sets introduced an "unbroken" blue classic space helmet).

The robot is quite cute, as well. I feel like this is the first time in a while that we've seen that robot arm used—and IIRC maybe the first to have it in a non-metallic color. And I love that tiny robot buddy, who reminds me positively of the old Lego Star Wars pit droids and the funny way they walk.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Oh man, personally I love the look of that alien—the face (with stalk eyes and a mouth where the face would normally be) feels very low-budget retro sci-fi, in a good way. The lack of a helmet in purple is a slight bummer, but I feel like the distinctiveness of an alien crewmate makes up for it. And who knows? A purple helmet could wind up coming in a theme like Friends before long for all we know (sort of like how the Ninjago Prime Empire sets introduced an "unbroken" blue classic space helmet).

Oh, that is an interesting theory. It might be. He also has an interesting resemblance to the Matt Mason Scorpio figure from the 60s from Mattel. Matching magenta skin, purple suit, and antennae/eyes.

Rare-Vintage-1969-Cipsa-Mattel-Mexico-Ma

Edited by BrickHat

6 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Are you referring to the Andorians? If so, I disagree; the VIDIYO aliens look more like Andorians than this Minifig (the only similarity that I see is that antennae). 

That's what I mean, the head piece looks similar.

Snail Face is weird...is he supposed to have a huge smile?

I like the idea of a purple Classic Space minifig though.

The more I think about the Target Lego Classic Space merch...it's weird that the focus is purely on the different colored figures. The shirts, gift wrap, and journal aren't really space themed at all -- they just a plain white backgrounds. It's like they're trying to make the classic astronaut a thing but separate them from the Space theme almost. It's just weird.

There's one puzzle with a couple of the Classic Space ships in the background at least.

Edited by danth

On 10/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

How did we miss this?? The images have been up since September 1st (per Twitter), but the only reason that I managed to find them is because I was looking further into my theory that the 2022 City Space wave will be inspired by the Artemis Program (their official Twitter account retweeted one of the LEGO Education videos)! 
BTL_ModDetail_24_FullFocus.png?auto=webp

Those flight suits are quite nice.  The jumpsuit is fantastic.  While we had the Star Trek style red jacket, we have never had a basic jumpsuit (or coveralls) with the classic space logo.  I really hope those are coming in the new City Space wave.  We would finally have a good non-suited generic crewman torso for capital ships and moonbases.  :moar:

8 hours ago, danth said:

I like the idea of a purple Classic Space minifig though.

I have a question...

Is this the first time the Classic Space is used on an alien? Because as far as I remember, it's always used on humans

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I have a question...

Is this the first time the Classic Space is used on an alien? Because as far as I remember, it's always used on humans

How do you know it's an alien? Maybe it's a human from the future and we evolved into a snail human. :grin:

19 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I have a question...

It's a good question! I know I've never really seen Classic Space uniforms on alien characters in vintage promotional media like the Jim Spaceborn comics.

I have recently been looking through some other sorts of vintage LEGO promotional media out of curiosity (like old LEGO single-page comics that appeared as ads in European comics and magazines like Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse). There are some comic storylines from back then that portray groups of classic space astronauts encountering separate "alien" groups with the same style of uniforms — but as far as I can tell, they are "alien" in the traditional sense of "foreigners from another world" rather than as non-human "space aliens". Most instances of non-human "space aliens" that I've seen tend to be portrayed as wacky non-LEGO creatures, sort of like the aliens of Commercia in the Jim Spaceborn comics.

The Idea Book 6000 also featured an alien race encountered by the two human protagonists. But these aliens, identified as "Zarconians" from the Planet Zark in the British "Captain Indigo" comics from Bricks & Pieces magazine, are custom builds using minifigure torsos and legs, front-mounted air tanks, and heads made from basic bricks. A couple of them use Classic Space torsos, but it's hard to tell if that is meant to have any significance besides as one of several random torso choices.

So I think this is the first definitive instance I've seen of a non-human crewmate for the Classic Space fleet!

Edited by Aanchir

7 hours ago, Maple said:

How do you know it's an alien? Maybe it's a human from the future and we evolved into a snail human. :grin:

Dude evolution took a bad turn somewhere hahaha

5 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

So I think this is the first instance I've seen of a non-human crewmate for the Classic Space fleet!

Interesting... thanks for the investigation

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

Dude evolution took a bad turn somewhere hahaha

The last several years have proved that. :laugh:
Ever watch the (HORRIBLE) Star Trek Voyager episode where they go warp 10 and evolve into giant salamanders? So why not a humaniod snail? 

I like the figure fine, but the face of it is really odd. I do wish LEGO would do more minifigures that fit into dead themes. Like the Alien Conquest Queen being made in the CMF after the sad premature death of the theme.

7 hours ago, Maple said:

It's a futuristic space mailperson. The end destination of the slowdown of the U.S. postal system / global shipping nightmare is now known: literal snail-mail. :grin:

8 hours ago, Maple said:

1 hour ago, Maple said:

Ever watch the (HORRIBLE) Star Trek Voyager episode where they go warp 10 and evolve into giant salamanders? So why not a humaniod snail? 

Or they were de-evolved, or mutated by a parasite, or affected by a mood-intensifying alien cube, or somehow spliced with a snail in a transporter accident, or. . . 

13 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Or they were de-evolved,

That was TNG. 

I see plenty of potential in this series. Since I have no problem dismantling my minifigs, and use their parts in non-standard ways, the complete design of any minifig doesn't matter as much as if the parts can be used for multiple things.

4 hours ago, gedren_y said:

That was TNG. 

I know - I was referencing other possible ways that a Human could become a humanoid snail! 

18 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Or they were de-evolved, or mutated by a parasite, or affected by a mood-intensifying alien cube, or somehow spliced with a snail in a transporter accident, or. . . 

TNG, TNG, Lower Decks, VOY (Tuvix). 

Details of another City space set have been revealed: 

19 minutes ago, fo4saken said:

Lego City 60351 Rocket Launch Pad, March 2022, $169.99, retailer exclusive 

Full Lunar subtheme (thus far): 

60348 Moon Rover: €29.99 
60349 Lunar Space Station: €59.99 
60350 Moon Research Base: €99.99 
60351 Rocket Launch Pad: $169.99 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

It'll be interesting to compare and contrast the $170 City rocket with launch pad and the $100 (?) Monkie Kid rocket with launch pad.

City rocket no doubt will be based on the SLS (Space Launch System), since they use it in their "Build to Launch" LEGO Education videos (2019 was also based on it but now we're 3 years later when those sets release), and has it's first un-crewed launch planned for February 2022.

Big question will be if it will include a Crawler platform, but that'd probably be too many parts, I'd rather have a multi-stage rocket instead.

A launch vehicle beside a tower on pad

Edited by TeriXeri

Well if the rocket itself is similar to the previous Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control, but without the launch control building, I could see getting the crawler and gantry instead.  I mean a $70 price increase plus the parts equivalent from the control building and track could be doable at that scale.  I hope they continue using the modular sections that the 2019 sets had.  That was one of the best aspects of those sets.  If the new ones use the same connection standard (and why wouldn't they when they used it in the undersea base too) and we could mix an match that would be awesome.

60228-1.jpg

As much as I too would like some actual classic space style stuff, I can't say no to well designed sets that are most of the way there anyway.  If the new wave does in fact use the classic logo (which the 2019 wave should have used anyway) all we really need is some trans dark blue windscreens.  Hopefully we'll get some nice useful classic logo stickers too.  (I would prefer some printed tiles, slopes, and/or wall panels but lets be realistic here)

Jedi Jac Penguin lists this:

• Set: 41713 - {? Olivia's Space Academy ?}
    • Includes TBA pieces
    • Minidolls: TBA
    • US $69.99 - DE/FR €69.99 - UK £TBA
    • Release: MAY 2022
    • UPC: 673419357272 / DPCI: TBA / SKU: TBA

Just as we haven't yet had Ninjago-in-Spaaaace, this probably isn't Friends-in-Spaaaace either.  But it is intriguing.

3 minutes ago, icm said:

Jedi Jac Penguin lists this:

• Set: 41713 - {? Olivia's Space Academy ?}
    • Includes TBA pieces
    • Minidolls: TBA
    • US $69.99 - DE/FR €69.99 - UK £TBA
    • Release: MAY 2022
    • UPC: 673419357272 / DPCI: TBA / SKU: TBA

Just as we haven't yet had Ninjago-in-Spaaaace, this probably isn't Friends-in-Spaaaace either.  But it is intriguing.

Oh man, this sounds great! It might not actually be the Friends going INTO space (though I wouldn't 100% rule it out). But growing up as a space-obsessed kid in the '90s one of my childhood dreams was to go to "Space Camp" (a sort of kids program with NASA in Florida where they put you through mock training exercises and other activities), and I've long hoped that the Friends theme could feature a subtheme along those lines!

For a little bit of context, in the current Lego Friends storyline, Olivia's main interests are science and tech, and her dad (who is separated from her mom) is an astronaut. So there's definitely groundwork in place to integrate a space-related storyline!

While I don't expect Friends to go actually into space this next year (2022) yet, it could still be a set up for it in some further year, watching those Build to Launch video series from LEGO Education, there is a lot of promotion for woman that got into Nasa tech jobs, including leadership positions (real people, not just the LEGO Space Team minifigs), and also the goal toward the 1st woman on the moon is repeatedly said there.

Something like a minidoll version of elements of those sets, test rocket launch, G force machine and maybe a simulator, from the Space Port 1999 Town.

6452-1.jpg6455-1.jpg

Also would be pretty cool if Friends had something like an Observatory / Planetarium type of set, or a Lab for samples.

Edited by TeriXeri

IIRC one episode of the Friends TV series involved Olivia going to the astronaut training facility so its entirely possible that's what we are getting in the set.