Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

9 hours ago, jodawill said:

One of the new Friends sets has trans-yellow garage doors!

How long until someone does a Classic Space or Blacktron recolour of the Deep Freeze Defender? 🤔

On 11/6/2023 at 8:02 PM, R0Sch said:

Yep, sadly just stickers. :sadnew:
P80QYUw.jpg

Cool sticker

Our first look at the City aliens (8:20)! 

3 hours ago, thminigab2 said:

While a new headpiece would have been nice, I really like these! Their suits have a nice late 90’s-early 00’s vibe, and the heads are cute (very much the alien equivalent of the Standard Grin). They seem to have the CS logo in orange, along with the left leg stripe-and-triangle detail from the 2022 City astronauts, so I wonder if this is the 2024 spacesuit. Also, if they are not already using it, I am definitely putting the lime antenna hat piece on these guys! 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

On 11/6/2023 at 9:52 AM, R0Sch said:

Green. Says so in the IG comments too.

Also confirmed by Bricks By Mind's hands-on presentation video:
ez2gYEo.png

Ahhh so it was just the lighting throwing me off in the other pic. Well once the whole issue with Bricklink ends, it'll be time to get the green spacemen. Now all we have to wait for are the light stone helmets and tanks.

14 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

How long until someone does a Classic Space or Blacktron recolour of the Deep Freeze Defender? 🤔

Unfortunately several pieces don't exist in the needed colors for that. The whip antenna had unfortunately never come in trans yellow for example (that one is high on my wishlist)

19 minutes ago, Inspecter said:

Ahhh so it was just the lighting throwing me off in the other pic. Well once the whole issue with Bricklink ends, it'll be time to get the green spacemen. Now all we have to wait for are the light stone helmets and tanks.

I would suggest holding off until we see what else is coming in 2024, as the green Spacemen are around $25 each! 😬

18 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Unfortunately several pieces don't exist in the needed colors for that. The whip antenna had unfortunately never come in trans yellow for example (that one is high on my wishlist)

I was thinking more of a MOC ‘remaster’ (like the Galaxy Explorer or Blacktron Cruiser) rather than a part-for-part remake. 

17 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I would suggest holding off until we see what else is coming in 2024, as the green Spacemen are around $25 each! 😬

Wow I didn't realize they were that expensive at the moment! Checking Bricklink, they are more around the $35-40 each here in Canada.  A couple years ago I picked up the Exo-suit set for about $50.00, those minifigs alone are worth more than that lol. They are probably the most valuable minifigures I have at the moment.

A pic of the City space station has leaked - I really like it from what I can see! The ring configuration is unique for LEGO, and the modular design is just begging to be expanded; overall, I think this is the best (City) space station that LEGO has made! The colour-scheme is white/orange/sand blue, and the logo appears to be the one from the City space missions set (or a similar one). The station also appears to have a landing platform for a small hoverbike with a design similar to one of the SP3 prototypes (and detachable ships in the Galactic Enforcer). It definitely feels more futuristic than prior space stations, and I can see how we will be getting things like mechs and aliens alongside it. The one major L that I can see is the clear (rather than coloured) canopies - Trans-orange is right there, and it would have made the line feel like a precursor to Mars Mission! 

20 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

A pic of the City space station has leaked - I really like it from what I can see! The ring configuration is unique for LEGO, and the modular design is just begging to be expanded; overall, I think this is the best (City) space station that LEGO has made! The colour-scheme is white/orange/sand blue, and the logo appears to be the one from the City space missions set (or a similar one). The station also appears to have a landing platform for a small hoverbike with a design similar to one of the SP3 prototypes (and detachable ships in the Galactic Enforcer). It definitely feels more futuristic than prior space stations, and I can see how we will be getting things like mechs and aliens alongside it. The one major L that I can see is the clear (rather than coloured) canopies - Trans-orange is right there, and it would have made the line feel like a precursor to Mars Mission! 

I think the orange color in the new space sets might also be the new reddish-orange color that's also been spotted in Monkie Kid and Friends. I think it looks really good with the white and azure!

22 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I think the orange color in the new space sets might also be the new reddish-orange color that's also been spotted in Monkie Kid and Friends. I think it looks really good with the white and azure!

Azure? It looks like sand blue to me. 

6 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Azure? It looks like sand blue to me. 

Hm, you're probably right. At first I thought it was Medium Azure (which can look a bit like that in some lighting), but comparing it to the other colors it does look more like Sand Blue.

Sand Blue might be a more useful color for some parts like the big Technic quarter circle gears anyway, since it has a more mechanical sort of feel.

I wonder if George Gilliatt worked on any of these sets, as the orange-sand blue-black colour-scheme for the Cyber Drone was his idea (harking back to the old Titan XP set). 🤔

The new "LEGO Space 1978-1992" book by Tim Johnson (of New Elementary fame) has several VERY cool pictures of unreleased sets that we haven't seen before!

He got +1500 pics from TLG, including some of the most military looking vehicles I've ever seen come from TLG, some amazing mechas and .. much more!

No, I will not post pics (but I'm sure they will be online anyway). Buy the book!

https://brickset.com/article/101609/exclusive-interview-with-tim-johnson-author-of-lego-space-1978-1992

Cheers,

Ole

On 11/16/2023 at 12:39 PM, 1974 said:

The new "LEGO Space 1978-1992" book by Tim Johnson (of New Elementary fame) has several VERY cool pictures of unreleased sets that we haven't seen before!

He got +1500 pics from TLG, including some of the most military looking vehicles I've ever seen come from TLG, some amazing mechas and .. much more!

No, I will not post pics (but I'm sure they will be online anyway). Buy the book!

https://brickset.com/article/101609/exclusive-interview-with-tim-johnson-author-of-lego-space-1978-1992

Cheers,

Ole

Just picked it up today! Tim is a good friend and I was very excited that he was getting to write something like this that goes so in-depth into the development and designs of the early Space sets.

I hope this book is successful and inspires Lego to produce more books like this, either about subsequent Lego space sets, other classic themes, or even more modern themes.

Something to look for in seller stalls in future LEGO expo's.
Buying it through Amazon comes with a hefty import tax (roughly 2/5th of the price) in my country.

Just seen the box for 60431 - "Space Explorer Rover and Alien Life". It might just be a city subtheme, but space is coming back big time next year. New aliens, coloured spacesuits, sci-fi vehicles. We are so back.

It looks pretty good, but I can see this being very similar to the most recent wave with the research base. So it might depend on how much they want to push it with the other alien sets, or will it be closer to real-world, near-future settings?

So far we've seen images from two of the city space sets:

• 60431 Space Rover with Aliens
  • 60433 Modular Space Station

No images of these yet:

• 30663 Space Hoverbike
  • 60428 Space Mech
  • 60429 Space Asteroid Recovery
  • 60430 Spaceship
  • 60434 Space Base with Launch Pad

Mechs, hoverbikes and green aliens are much closer to sci-fi than city has ever gone before. I really think this is closer to a new space theme than more of the same city space stuff. 

60433 appears to feature the module connectors so it still interfaces with the most recent city space wave. Can't wait to see the space suits.

56 minutes ago, AstroFalcon said:

So far we've seen images from two of the city space sets:

• 60431 Space Rover with Aliens
  • 60433 Modular Space Station

No images of these yet:

• 30663 Space Hoverbike
  • 60428 Space Mech
  • 60429 Space Asteroid Recovery
  • 60430 Spaceship
  • 60434 Space Base with Launch Pad

Mechs, hoverbikes and green aliens are much closer to sci-fi than city has ever gone before. I really think this is closer to a new space theme than more of the same city space stuff. 

60433 appears to feature the module connectors so it still interfaces with the most recent city space wave. Can't wait to see the space suits.

Yeah well were wold you place space ses somehwere else if it’s not for City theme? City is generally a not-quite-realistic theme. For example, fire helicopter doesn’t shoot water at all. Or there are some weird-looking race cars (2K Drive ones). Or Stuntz subtheme. 

Friends has one (i think) space set and that set name sounds realistic to me. There are no weird or wacky sets in Freinds theme. 

I guess City is a fitting theme for space sets to join.  And i don’t mind that at all, i just like wacky sets, lol.

1 hour ago, AstroFalcon said:

Technically, the previous City wave did have alien life, specifically the microbes inside the meteorites from 60350 and 60351! Also, the Town theme had a "Space Scorpio" and "Space Spider" as part of the 2000 Arctic range. But you're right that the City theme itself has never had a larger alien species like this!

On a related note, I appreciate that the aliens look very unlike any sort of Earthling organisms. Despite their very speculative nature, this helps to set them apart from the humanoid aliens we've seen in Space themes and other sci-fi themes from the mid-90s onward.

I really like this; it looks far more like something from Mars Mission than anything that we have gotten from City before! 
The astronaut in the background obviously has the torso and legs that leaked with the alien heads, but the driver might have a different design (dark blue instead of bright green). 🤔

It's not my style, personally. It seems to have more in common with Elon Musk's vision of the future than Gene Roddenberry. I guess this is the current pop culture vision of sci-fi.

It looks incredibly sterile, which is also what I didn't like about Exploriens as a kid. And, opposed to classic space being wildly futuristic and not aspect of the vehicle necessarily has a modern day translation, this vehicle looks like something SpaceX could release next week. It feels kind of depressing.

The suspension is really interesting though, especially how the front wheels stretch out front of the vehicle. It looks like it handles really well over obstacles on the floor.

34 minutes ago, jodawill said:

It's not my style, personally. It seems to have more in common with Elon Musk's vision of the future than Gene Roddenberry. I guess this is the current pop culture vision of sci-fi.

I am not really sure where you are seeing Elon Musk in this; it looks very sleek and futuristic, as the classic themes’ rovers often tried to be with the parts available at the time (the design is similar to SP1’s Spy-Trak I). 

38 minutes ago, jodawill said:

It looks incredibly sterile, which is also what I didn't like about Exploriens as a kid. And, opposed to classic space being wildly futuristic and not aspect of the vehicle necessarily has a modern day translation, this vehicle looks like something SpaceX could release next week. It feels kind of depressing.

No more sterile than Futuron, IMO; additionally, M;Tron had tow trucks and a helicopter, so classic Space themes absolutely drew from real-world vehicles. 

@danth: Thoughts? 

How on earth (lol) is this a "City" subtheme? 

The only thing I can think of is because they have Star Wars they cant have an official in house space theme

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I am not really sure where you are seeing Elon Musk in this; it looks very sleek and futuristic, as the classic themes’ rovers often tried to be with the parts available at the time (the design is similar to SP1’s Spy-Trak I). 

Spy-Trak I is a good example of what I'm talking about. The color scheme is more out of this world and it has lasers for prison bars. The new one has a more realistic color scheme and doesn't seem to have any sci-fi elements like lasers, although it's hard to tell for sure from the leaked image.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the new one. It's just different, and it probably reflects society's shifting views on futurism than it does Lego itself. One of the positives I see is that it appears to be a lot sturdier than some of the builds in the later space themes, so it will probably be a lot of fun for kids to play with. I would probably like it more if it was black with a trans green windshield and antennas.

No more sterile than Futuron, IMO; additionally, M;Tron had tow trucks and a helicopter, so classic Space themes absolutely drew from real-world vehicles. 

Yeah, I agree that Futuron is pretty sterile. It's not one of my favorite space themes, although there are elements I like. It's actually pretty similar to classic space, but with more of an emphasis on white. It still has some nice transparent elements, although it also uses a lot of trans blue, which looks too similar to real glass for my taste. 

Interestingly, in Tim Johnson's new space book, one of the designers said they would have originally used white if they had been able to because real spaceships are white. I'm glad they went with gray and blue because it's so much more interesting to me.