Ngoc Nguyen

[REVIEW] 42113 - Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey

Out of curiosity, I went and looked up how I could acquire this set in North America... It would appear that I would have to spend upwards of $2000 USD on the set alone, before international shipping ( $100+ USD ) in order to get this set...

I am very disappointed by Lego here. Some of their past releases, if anyone remembers them, they include the following sets:

Red Baron a German triplane fighter aircraft, with visible guns, from the First World War, and two versions of the

Sopwith Camel (old) & Sopwith Camel (new) which are also British fighter aircraft from the First World War, again with visible mounted guns.

Shame on you, Lego, for cancelling your release of a search and rescue aircraft.

2 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Out of curiosity, I went and looked up how I could acquire this set in North America... It would appear that I would have to spend upwards of $2000 USD on the set alone, before international shipping ( $100+ USD ) in order to get this set...

I am very disappointed by Lego here. Some of their past releases, if anyone remembers them, they include the following sets:

Red Baron a German triplane fighter aircraft, with visible guns, from the First World War, and two versions of the

Sopwith Camel (old) & Sopwith Camel (new) which are also British fighter aircraft from the First World War, again with visible mounted guns.

To be fair they're very historic aircraft. That and two of the sets are almost 20 years old, and one is almost 10.

2 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Shame on you, Lego, for cancelling your release of a modern licensed military aircraft made by an arguably shady company.

Fixed that for you

23 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Is this confirmed? Can we see the statement from LEGO?

If it is true, I can not consider the whole story as a RELEASE CANCELLATION / RECALL. 

Values. Decisions. Conclusions.

Thanks for the great review! I'll see if I'll be lucky enough to find one around here.

Great writeup! I can really see this set being very (very) expensive in the coming years, did you get multiple sets? That would be a bonkers investment if you are into that kind of thing.

4 hours ago, arnoldtblumberg said:

Kudos to LEGO for their decision.

Yeah, let´s see what comes out of it. All Offline retail stores around canceled my pre-orders. 

There is just one left, who (hopefully) get´s its stock of 3 ! a few days later.

To me it´s incredible that lego gave way to a society with supposedly little hundreds of members and a demonstration of 2 !, again, TWO people in front of a LEGO Store in Germany.

These times are pure madness. 

38 minutes ago, TBS said:

To me it´s incredible that lego gave way to a society with supposedly little hundreds of members and a demonstration of 2 !, again, TWO people in front of a LEGO Store in Germany.

These times are pure madness. 

There’s lengthy discussion about this in the general 42113 thread. It likely isn’t as simple as that

9 hours ago, Bartybum said:

There’s lengthy discussion about this in the general 42113 thread. It likely isn’t as simple as that

Let´s hope then, every pilot of this a few dozen of machines remembers this at an emergency site, like a volcano eruption, flood, firestorm or let´s say an earthquake.

So these - "activists" - can sink into the ground heroically and never have to experience such a shameful resque with this terrible abdominal type of plane.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:01 PM, Coolusername said:

These sets must grow on trees in NZ :laugh:

One would think so. However the scalpers have well and truly been out in force. Personally if love to see them get stiffed but that's not going to be the case. The one thing that has surprised me is the ratio of sets per head of population. A rough guide is at least 1200 sets where released here.

@Ngoc Nguyen How much did you "play" with the functions and can you see any wear on the middle 8T gear? There are speculations on the reddit forum about a possible design flaw with this set and it being the real reason behind the cancellation which would make more sense to me. If there is no clutch gear on the main drivetrain and gears get damaged from normal use it would be a greater problem for a company that puts so much emphasis on "only the best is good enough".
I also saw in another german review that the rotors cannot spin while the engines are horizontal due to insufficient ground clearance, which is another issue if you "forget" to turn off the spinning rotors and the blades start crashing in the table.

50141676208_1de1e096bb_c.jpg

@R0Sch I don't play with the function much. And I can't really see if there's any wear on the 8z gears on the middle line because the gearbox has been buried into the fuselage. I can only see the one in the top, and it looks okay.

What you said about spinning the blades is true. I also mentioned it in the review One shouldn't turn on the spinning function if the rotors are in horizontal position, but that only applies if the model is on the table. If you're picking it up and swooshing it, then the blades will spin just fine. But turning on the spinning blades is strongly advised against, because the blades are large and can sweep into your face. It does hurt a bit.

10 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@R0Sch I don't play with the function much. And I can't really see if there's any wear on the 8z gears on the middle line because the gearbox has been buried into the fuselage. I can only see the one in the top, and it looks okay.

What you said about spinning the blades is true. I also mentioned it in the review One shouldn't turn on the spinning function if the rotors are in horizontal position, but that only applies if the model is on the table. If you're picking it up and swooshing it, then the blades will spin just fine. But turning on the spinning blades is strongly advised against, because the blades are large and can sweep into your face. It does hurt a bit. 

Ok. Thanks for the info. Still, there should have been a clutch gear at the first stage motor reduction. Sadly there is no space in the current setup to replace the z12+z20 gear with a z8+z24 clutch gear.

@R0Sch But since we're talking about the spinning blade, there is this weird phenomenon. When I turn on the spinning blade function, the motor seems to be straining to deliver power. The blades still spin fine, but the axles in the gearbox spin slower than usual, and the sound coming from the motor is weird. I troubleshoot by turn it on on multiple separate occasion when the blades are removed, when the left rotor is removed, when the right rotor is removed, and when both are removed. The motor and the axle only rotate normally when both rotors are removed. I think either the rotors design interfere with the function, or the drive train isnt geared down enough. The gear ratio from the motor to the spinning blade is practically 1:1.

2 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@R0Sch But since we're talking about the spinning blade, there is this weird phenomenon. When I turn on the spinning blade function, the motor seems to be straining to deliver power. The blades still spin fine, but the axles in the gearbox spin slower than usual, and the sound coming from the motor is weird. I troubleshoot by turn it on on multiple separate occasion when the blades are removed, when the left rotor is removed, when the right rotor is removed, and when both are removed. The motor and the axle only rotate normally when both rotors are removed. I think either the rotors design interfere with the function, or the drive train isnt geared down enough. The gear ratio from the motor to the spinning blade is practically 1:1. 

I just saw this new review that shows exactly this phenomenon you describe. Doesn't sound good at all and will most likely lead to the worn z8 gear if you run it some time. I hope @Sariel can give his expertise on this and test it a bit when he'll review his copy.

11 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

I just saw this new review that shows exactly this phenomenon you describe. Doesn't sound good at all and will most likely lead to the worn z8 gear if you run it some time. I hope @Sariel can give his expertise on this and test it a bit when he'll review his copy.

OMG the blades' behavior is exactly the same as mine.

The drivetrain from the motor to the blade is (motor 12z) - (20z - 8z) - 8z - (8z - 16z) - (16z - 20z) - (12z - 12z) - (half 12z - half 12z) - (half 12z - blade). It's geared down but geared up back later by the same ratio.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

OMG the blades' behavior is exactly the same as mine.

The drivetrain from the motor to the blade is (motor 12z) - (20z - 8z) - 8z - (8z - 16z) - (16z - 20z) - (12z - 12z) - (half 12z - half 12z) - (half 12z - blade). It's geared down but geared up back later by the same ratio.

Yes, the ratio for the blade rotation is exactly 1:1. 12/20 * 8/8 * 16/16 * 8/8 * 20/12 * 12/12 * 12/12 * 8/8
qMFqpNa.png

And it's true the lowest z8 gear will get the highest torque so it will fail first if there is any resistance in the system, which can happen very easily since you can run all 4 functions simultaneously. But, the tilting function has the heavy duty clutch elements (which were probably necessary due to the heavy weight of the engines and the inertia) and the linear actuators have the internal slip clutch if they reach the end-stops. The only function connected directly to the motor is the fast spinning rotor. It's not a design flaw but more a lack of a safety feature in case the blades hit something.
FSRh3a5.png

Edited by R0Sch
Additional explanation of the functions

Any idea why the tilting motors are moved with wormscrew + blue clutch 20t + 2x12t + tan 20t + yellow axle instead wormscrew + tan 20t + yellow axle ?

2 minutes ago, Anio said:

Any idea why the tilting motors are moved with wormscrew + blue clutch 20t + 2x12t + tan 20t + yellow axle instead wormscrew + tan 20t + yellow axle ?

To include the clutch piece.

Oh, I see, it is not included in the picture.
My bad.

Just now, Anio said:

Oh, I see, it is not included in the picture.
My bad.

Yes, cause it's not available in Studio yet. The two black 4L axles are connected by the new clutch elements.

On 7/25/2020 at 6:40 PM, arnoldtblumberg said:

Kudos to LEGO for their decision.

It was a really stupid decision on Lego's part and this is arguably one of the most impressive technic sets that they have produced. It's one of the few technic sets I would have ever gotten and I'm speaking from a perspective of someone who was never really into technic sets other than a few of the massive construction sets. This would have been my first technic set in a long time and potentially reinvigorated my interest in the technic theme - but now its unlikely to see the light of day. I'd argue this decision from Lego will open up massive problems the next time they have a vehicle that has been used for military purposes - which removes a lot of options in future and sets a dangerous precident that Lego will cancel any set containing a vehicle that was militarised at one point.