On 7/7/2020 at 2:21 AM, MatthewRC said:

Alright, here’s my list:

The A-Team (Only used for LEGO Dimensions Year 2 and nothing else)

Adventure Time (Last acknowledged in 2016/2017)

Back to the Future (Last acknowledged in 2018 via BrickHeadz)

Beetlejuice (Only used for LEGO Dimensions Year 2 and nothing else)

The Goonies (Doubt it would be able to coexist with a potential Classic Pirates revival)

Gremlins (Only used for LEGO Dimensions Year 2 and nothing else)

Knight Rider (A minifig-scale set of Michael Knight and K.I.T.T. would’ve been awesome)

Legends of Chima (Discontinued in favor of Nexo Knights in 2015\2016)

Middle-earth (AKA The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit)

Mission: Impossible (Only used for LEGO Dimensions Year 2 and nothing else)

Portal video game series (A GLaDOS set would have been amazing!)

Scooby-Doo (Last acknowledged in 2017 via a DTV movie, Blowout Beach Bash)

The Simpsons (Last acknowledged in 2018 via BrickHeadz)

The Wizard of Oz (Even though we already got minifigures of Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, the Wicked Witch of the West and her flying monkeys, this IP still deserves a wave of sets based on scenes from the 1939 film)

Please let me know what else I left out. Thank you.

Well, we should all just wait until Doctor Who’s popularity rises again.

Dragging this off topic a bit here aren’t we?

I’m sorry but in the grand scheme of things, Dr Who really doesn’t register on the popular scale of things, remains very niched. Yes I know you’ll rail against the very notion of that, but it’s the cold hard truth. Still, there’s plenty of custom options out there if that floats your boat.

As for the Art theme in general, the licensing alone for these iconic images explain the high price. God knows what Lego paid the Warhol estate here. At least they (probably) built in the Beatles rights as part of the Yellow Sub deal a few years ago. 

Personally, I think they’ll struggle for future subjects for this new theme. Balance has to be just right. Iron Man for example is a truly terrible choice.

As for suggestions, Ali’s famous image of him standing over a KO’d Liston would be up there. 

Edited by Lucarex

5 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Iron Man for example is a truly terrible choice.

I'm not so sure about that. There was this Iron Man 48x48 mosaic (right hand side of pic below) made as a give-away for a certified store in Singapore a few years ago.

0soaresk1hxk.png

https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/28203/iron-man-mosaic-gwp-singapore-only-though

Quite a few sold on BL for around the £100-140 price soon after release so not far off this and people were bricklinking them, and also doubling them up as shown above to form the larger symmetric image.

A bigger high quality Warhol print (an official one) costs one third of that. and there is not that much plastic on these sets.

The price is insane for what you get.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:40 AM, MAB said:

Funny enough, I did The Starry Night earlier, this is 48 pixels wide (31 high) but before changing to LEGO colour palette. I think most people would recognize it as van Gogh, but  would anyone want it on their wall?

Yes. Much more so than iron man, star wars, frozen elsa, harry potters or all the other hollyweird entertainment licenses that will likely saturate this theme as they have permeated everything else in the world.

TLG has the opportunity here to branch out further into education and art. Not just more :insert movie or tv show: content.

Can anyone tell me what is the weight of one assembled art panel?

I'm trying to work out if Command 3M adhesive strips would be strong enough to hold the mosaic on the wall.

Finished my full set! Combined them all under one single frame build

50536776076_be6069fb38_c.jpg

On 8/6/2020 at 11:56 AM, NathanR said:

Can anyone tell me what is the weight of one assembled art panel?

I'm trying to work out if Command 3M adhesive strips would be strong enough to hold the mosaic on the wall.

I would estimate roughly 2 pounds. My set of 4 above is just under 8lbs, I have two 8lb capacity command hooks holding it up

Noticed today on the 2021 Everything We Know So Far page, 4/5 2021 mosaics are rumoured - Hogwarts Crest, Mickey and Minnie, Elvis, and a World Map.  Wondering how the World Map in particular will work - a continent per mosaic, one giant mosaic, or what?

14 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Noticed today on the 2021 Everything We Know So Far page, 4/5 2021 mosaics are rumoured - Hogwarts Crest, Mickey and Minnie, Elvis, and a World Map.  Wondering how the World Map in particular will work - a continent per mosaic, one giant mosaic, or what?

Huh, it could actually end up being one continent per set, or buy 6 for a 2x3 world map. It could make for interesting combinations. I could see TLG make it so that you can buy one set and build any continent, or two to have a 48x96 map of the Americas, or four for a 96x96 mosaic of Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania.

I hope TLG goes for this kind of representation of the world map:

Physical-World-Map-3360.jpg

(Instead of the version where each country is a solid colour.)

Could this set be cheaper than other, licensed Art sets? I think this is the only set that interests me at all from this theme, but for 150CAD/set, I'd rather go for a traditional three-dimensional set from another theme.

27 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Huh, it could actually end up being one continent per set, or buy 6 for a 2x3 world map. It could make for interesting combinations. I could see TLG make it so that you can buy one set and build any continent, or two to have a 48x96 map of the Americas, or four for a 96x96 mosaic of Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania.

I hope TLG goes for this kind of representation of the world map:

Physical-World-Map-3360.jpg

Might seem like a stupid question, but would you want the curved ends?

28 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

(Instead of the version where each country is a solid colour.)

Definitely.  But a simple green/blue map wouldn't sell in my opinion, so if it's not I can't see it going ahead.

18 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Might seem like a stupid question, but would you want the curved ends?

That's a tricky one. TLG could crop the map to remove a portion of the curved ends, but that would also mean cropping Alaska and a lot of Oceania. Anyway, I much prefer the look of the map with curved ends than this one where some countries are grossly oversized:

world-map.gif

Lots of ways TLG can tackle this set, that's for sure. I hope it ends up being more interesting than I fear it could be... :look:

The Hogwarts Crest looks amazing! $119 seems like a good price considering the piece count. Mickey Mouse is also one of the better Art sets but it's definitely on the expensive side.

Edited by JintaiZ

The Mickey set is notable in that it‘s the first one with two motives only (unless there‘s a combined third one of course) :classic: The rumours never specified the number of motives per set, did they? With the exception of the HP one of course

Edited by Lego-Freak

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

The Mickey set is notable in that it‘s the first one with two motives only (unless there‘s a combined third one of course) :classic: The rumours never specified the number of motives per set, did they? With the exception of the HP one of course

Notice the background on the Mickey set...the Mickey and Minnie images, when set side-by-side, make up the top half of the mouse ears logo. Maybe there are plans for another set to make up quadrants 3 and 4?

Saw these earlier today and forgot to come here!  

I think they look great - though I’m more interested in the unannounced 2... (world map, Elvis).  I was hoping the Hogwarts ones could be combined to make the crest shown on the first page of each book, but doesn’t look like it...  

To be fair, it’s not shown on the others, but no ultimate build is obvious here...

Still waiting for an iconic work that actually appeals and makes me want to suffer the mosaic “build” experience.

Iron Man was bad enough but Harry Potter house emblems? Seriously? It’s called “Art” theme. 

On 7/15/2020 at 11:53 PM, koalayummies said:

TLG has the opportunity here to branch out further into education and art. Not just more :insert movie or tv show: content.

An opportunity they’ll swerve as it won’t maximise profit. It’s incredibly sad to see. Even the Architecture theme has gone full “tourist attraction” for the same reason. 

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

54884_hp2.jpg

Just saw this on Instagram and was coming to post the same thing!  Looks amazing - definitely far more worth it in that capacity than the honestly disappointing single builds.

Edited by Vilhelm22

I'm wondering if the world map would be done with plates or tiles. I kind of suspect plates, as that would make for a feature where you could easily add a different colored brick to indicate places you've visited, like some people do with pushpins on paper maps. (But I'm also hoping for tiles if that might mean a 1x1 round tile in Earth Green, an element I've been wanting for a project I'm working on.)

52 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

40179 Personalized Mosaic now available at LEGO.com! (US only)

Interesting.  Shame it's only in the US though but as many of the European flagship stores, such as my local one in Leicester Square, London are closed at the moment, I hope they will add it to the European sites soon....

not normally one to get into sales figures, its not popular etc etc 

But in the uk a lot of the stores stocking the original 4 sets have massively discounted them (£53 for Beatles )

I wonder if it means that in the future they will be LEGO Store exclusives only as I don't think it quite worked in non brand stores although Covid may have had a hand in that 

17 hours ago, Benny benny BENNY said:

not normally one to get into sales figures, its not popular etc etc 

But in the uk a lot of the stores stocking the original 4 sets have massively discounted them (£53 for Beatles )

The flaw with the Beatles and Marilyn Monroe is that they work as a set - the others can be more of a standalone type....  As a result they probably sell better that way.  All the bad reviews of the Beatle set in particular that I've seen are people who have expected enough to build 4 because they didn't read the description at all.

Edited by Vilhelm22

On 1/30/2021 at 10:05 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Interesting.  Shame it's only in the US though but as many of the European flagship stores, such as my local one in Leicester Square, London are closed at the moment, I hope they will add it to the European sites soon....

Available now!