Pdaitabird

[SR - FB] The Gnat

Named for her small size, the Gnat is a Bermuda-rigged sloop belonging to (stolen by) the smuggler Obadiah Shaw.

The Gnat

Although she carries only one swivel gun in the bow, what she lacks in armament she makes up for in speed.  The Gnat's reputation as a fast vessel has even led to Captain Shaw being contracted to transport legitimate cargo from time to time. Still, he prefers smuggling...there are no regulations and it pays better!

The Gnat

Capt. Shaw only hires a crewman or two when the job is big enough, or dangerous enough, to warrant it. Once the job is done, he usually gets his crew good and drunk, takes their pay back, and slips out of port without them!

The Gnat

Many thanks to @kurigan, whose hull technique I adapted and downscaled for the Gnat.

The Gnat

I think this would be a class 1 vessel (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for looking!

Soli Deo Gloria

Welcome aboard, Pdaitabird! I have to say that is an absolutely excellent bermuda sloop - we have many excellent ship builders in here, and an amazing assembly of vessels with all sorts of designs and techniques, but I think this is one of the very best small sailing vessels. I have myself experimented with Kurigan's technique, but not really had any luck, but the same cannot be said for you!

The only thing I would suggest changing is the heavy line you have used. I think a thinner (<0.5 mm, which in imperial units must be something like 12 fahren-ounce-feet :pir-grin:) would be more fitting and have better properties in terms of tightening it a bit. Even some thick-ish sewing thread may do the trick.

All in all, a superb example of a class 1 vessel. I wish you the best of luck on the Brick Seas, and will be looking forward to following the stories of Mr. Shaw!

That ship looks really well sturdy and well built. I like how there is a bend to get the shape.

@Bregir Thank you!

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

I think a thinner (<0.5 mm, which in imperial units must be something like 12 fahren-ounce-feet :pir-grin:) would be more fitting and have better properties in terms of tightening it a bit. Even some thick-ish sewing thread may do the trick.

Actually, 0.5 mm converts to 17 gallons in imperial units. :pir_tong2: I looked for something closer to the official Lego string, but with the current state of the world, I just had to buy whatever I could find!

1 hour ago, merc said:

That ship looks really well sturdy and well built. I like how there is a bend to get the shape.

Thanks! It's sturdier than I expected...while building, I dropped it from about 16 inches (3.5 mL) and it held together!

@Professor Thaum @LM71Blackbird Thank you!

Edited by Pdaitabird
Kant spel

Hello and welcome to BOBS!

Lovely vessel you have here !

I like the sleek aspect it has. Good job on that :thumbup:

Very nice vessel. The technique works well here. And I also like the full scene with the tarp-water and little island.

Very nice ship, this class 1 is a real beauty. The hull is great. I like the details on deck too. 

Also story-wise you step in at a good angle. It has many possibilities. 

The shape looks great, even it's a based on Kurigan's technique, and Gnat is an appropriate name for its size, the island looks great too.

Beautiful ship! I Its curves and the swivel gun at the bow look perfect! Although a slimmer rope/thread might do the trick better, I have also used that type of rope for various reasons (fits a minifig hand, stays put and doesn't untie by itself, is readily available at each and every hardware store in the planet, etc) :tongue:

Hey, that's awesome! I caught this a few days ago, thanks for Facebook and it made my day. I really appreciate the credit and like your use. Might i suggest a name change? "Banana" on account of her color scheme :pir-wink:. I see you already have another up in the MOC forum in the time it took me to log in, so I'll go check that one out too, while I'm here. Thanks again, great build!

Dave