MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

What the hell? Everyone here is being so dramatic. They’re trying something new, and that’s great for them. If it fails, it fails, and maybe then they’ll try making some minifigure based sets. But I’m holding out hope that the $100 set is a Bowser or Peach Castle with minifigures because I can’t see EVERY set being this kind of flat game level style especially when they said we’ll see very iconic things. I think this idea is very cool- not what I was expecting but I’ll definitely buy some sets to see how it works. I just hope we get minifigures eventually. I also don’t understand all the idiotic licensed theme hate at all. LEGO still makes original themes and licensed themes have created some awesome new pieces and figures even when they’re one-offs like Trolls and Minions. And this Super Mario line is definitely NOT going to kill LEGO. It’s doing just fine. 

@GeneralNumberOne:

Ok, doomer :laugh_hard:

The negativity around here is astounding. This wave not having minifigs doesn’t mean there never will be. This isn’t a one and done theme after all :classic: And just because TLG releases something YOU personally don’t care about, doesn’t mean everyone else feels the same, especially the target audience.

Remember the outcry when Ninjago was first announced? Look it up if you don’t, it’s absolutely hilarious in hindsight :snicker:

I get some people don't like the theme, but the some comments are just.... 

I think it's different. I just wish that thing would look more like a mormal minifigure. They could have made it like those led keychains

But, I don't think there will be minifigures in the near future. Because adults will buy those and not this line. And it seems they are investing a lot here

Don't bother arguing with the negativity. The pattern of one particular poster is reminiscent of the unpleasant aspects of other kinds of social networking sites (FB/Twitter).

Looking again, Mario might not be the only part with significant tech. There is supposed to be a spinning action that Mario activates. That would require more than a special sticker.

Well I seriously don't get Lego's thinking with this theme. Did they forgot that people love minifigures? According to all Interviews it's unlikely we will, get minifigures in this first wave! And Nintendo even told them they want system scale sets with minifigures! This theme looks like it will crash and burn... Hope Lego learns their lesson and remember what people actually like about their products.

Reading the last page was pretty interesting. "LeGo Is DoOmEd", "tHiS tHeMe WiLl FlOp", "ToYs ArE dOoMeD", "hYpE fOr MaRvEl Is DeAd", "MiNiOnS wOn'T sElL wElL" or "sTaR wArS aNd NiNjAgO dIdN't SeLl WeLl".

What are you guys taking? In 2019, the sales rose when compared to 2018. It's one of the strongest companies in the world.

Even if this theme will flop, this won't be the end of Lego. Does a movie company after making a movie that completely bombs at box office bankrupt? No.

Toys are not doomed :laugh_hard: that's my favourite statement btw.

Marvel is doing better than ever. Just look at this year - two MCU movies, two MCU shows, two Sony movies (Lego loves Venom) and Maximum Venom aninated TV show (trust me, this will make some kids buy those Venom sets). Also, Marvel was in TOP 6 best selling 2019 themes.

I don't know about Minions. It probably won't be a best seller, but kids and Facebook moms love those ugly creatures, so I don't see it flopping hard.

Star Wars was in TOP 5 best selling themes last year. It's not dead. Ninjago didn't perform as good as in 2018, but it definitely didn't do bad.

In a troubling time, that fatalistic nonsense brought me a great laugh, so thanks for that. Nothing like a bit of drama to lighten the mood.

Wow I love this! It's such a unique thing to break out of the mold like that, huge props to LEGO for trying this out! I know 10 y/o me would defenitely be excited for this. It also kinda has classic NES vibes? (As I've seen echoed by other users here)

It also makes me cautiously optimistic for a potential Breath of the Wild set. The latest 'stables' Ideas-set has received 10,000 voters yet again and is in the review stage after all. It even received a staff pick so I reckon LEGO is on to something now.

I don't get all the melodrama, this line looks unique, fun, and (potentially) amazing! I want to pick up some of these sets just because the builds for some of these characters look incredible, and my kid brother is super interested in the line as well.

And, while I kind of get the disappointment behind the lack of minifigures, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't LEGO supposed to be a building toy, i.e. not an action figure company? I'm willing to forgo minifig-scale if it means great builds, and, much like nano-Hogwarts, the Star Wars UCS line, and so many more, this is a great example of why going outside the box of one benchmark scale can do wonders for a license!

And, judging by comments made in designer interviews, I get the feeling that minifigures are planned... I mean, we know we're getting "some iconic locations" (and Peach's Castle would never work in this style), and I can't think of any licenses to take the Jan 2021 CMF slot aside from Mario, so...

As for Mario only being in one $60 set- yeah, that's a load of boosh. Firstly, the one set we know of (Mario, Goomba, flagpole) is not even close to 231 pieces, I count around 100 or so, which fits the "overpriced" $30 set nicely. We also know that all four of the $10 sets include one of these guys (The power switch and scanner are built into the overalls, they clearly aren't removable), and the $70 with 468 pieces probably does as well. As for the $60 set... well, we know that Mario connects to something to update, but it isn't the Switch... maybe this set has something to do with that? 

Oh, and, even negating everything above, even if this theme does somehow manage to flop worse than Galidor, saying that it'll mean the bankruptcy of LEGO is just ridiculous. Now, I'm not going to take the time to individually quote all of the negative comments, since that'll take ages, but I'll just quickly address the doomsday claims of you smoothbrained neckbeards. 

Firstly, the claim that LEGO "is forgetting the brick"- yeah, this is dumb. Yeah, we've had gimmick themes, but for every theme that expands out in new directions (because trying to do new things with the brick isn't the same as forgetting it, fyi), we have dozens of classic building themes.

Licenses are killing LEGO- binch, licenses are one of LEGO's greatest profits. Harry Potter, Star Wars, Jurassic, Marvel, Minecraft- all licensed themes, and all of which mostly fly off shelves. (Also, special notice to the id who said that LEGO's main pushes this year were Black Widow and WW84- dude, both of those are getting one small set apiece. As a sub theme of two bestselling lineups. Dumba**)

Yeah, that about covers everything. If you feel as though you should quit LEGO because this one theme isn't exactly what you want it to be and therefore the entire company is unfaithful trash- then please do, because your babyish negativity isn't wanted, and we'll all be glad to be rid of you.

I smell a troll... Have to admit though "every Lego theme is selling terribly and the entire toy industry is dead" was hilarious.

Anyway, I'd be really surprised if Mario was only in one or two expensive sets. Basing an entire theme around a certain gimmick and then locking it behind only a few of the highest-priced sets would be downright idiotic. If they did that it would have to be a mix of system and gimmick sets if they had any hope of it selling well. There needs to be a cheap set with Mario to ease buyers into the theme without going all in right away.

Now that series 2 of the Harry Potter CMF has leaked I think we can put all the speculation about a Mario CMF to rest, at least for 2020. I’d love to see one down the line, though! 

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

As for Mario only being in one $60 set- yeah, that's a load of boosh. Firstly, the one set we know of (Mario, Goomba, flagpole) is not even close to 231 pieces, I count around 100 or so, which fits the "overpriced" $30 set nicely. We also know that all four of the $10 sets include one of these guys (The power switch and scanner are built into the overalls, they clearly aren't removable), and the $70 with 468 pieces probably does as well. As for the $60 set... well, we know that Mario connects to something to update, but it isn't the Switch... maybe this set has something to do with that? 

Actually the power switch and Bluetooth button are built into the red shirt. The overalls do appear to removable, and for this to be so it would just need to have an opening in the bottom for the scanner. The $10 sets do appear to be the powered up costume changes; fire, flying raccoon, etc. Hopefully Mario will be in the $30 set, as the build with the goomba does appear to only be about 100 pieces. That seems like it would be a more reasonable starter set. I could see Bowser in the $60 set.

Edited by gedren_y

12 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

That are probably going to get delayed

We don't know that, that's just speculation (no matter how likely that is).

12 hours ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

With the economic crash, families can't afford to drop $60 on a stupid gamble to see if little Timmy will like his dumb Mario baby toy.

The end is near. Toys are doomed.

Thank you for this. This is by far the funniest thing I have ever read on a Lego forum and you have made my day.

Have anyone seen Jim Sterling made a video about the LEGO Mario

9 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

What the hell? Everyone here is being so dramatic.

Agree, or their just being dramatic for the lols. While I think LEGO is doom to repeat history somewhere in the future, it is idiotic to think that this one thing is the killing blow for LEGO.

10 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I also don’t understand all the idiotic licensed theme hate at all. LEGO still makes original themes and licensed themes have created some awesome new pieces and figures even when they’re one-offs like Trolls and Minions. And this Super Mario line is definitely NOT going to kill LEGO. It’s doing just fine. 

It's not that we hate licensed theme (not even close) it's that it's down right taking over LEGO as a hole, as it feel like all LEGO cares about is the licensed more while giving little love to their original themes. This is especially when Dimensions as around, only 3 of LEGO own IP while everything else was just licensed. The CMF series feel like they're giving less love to their original line compare to the spin off lines.

In the past there was a balance between licensed and original IP, fans of licensed stuff got their stuff, while fan of original stuff got their castle, city, space, and those looking for story and different got things like Exo-Force and Bionicle. And now all we who want original IP got are Ninjago, City, Creator, Hidden Side, Speed Champion (somewhere), while everything else is just licensed. We have only gotten 1 castle, 1 pirate, 2 space theme in the past 10 year, all lasting for 1 year (granted I do love these 1).  So it is reasonable why there are those who dislike licensed, including myself. 

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Firstly, the claim that LEGO "is forgetting the brick"- yeah, this is dumb. Yeah, we've had gimmick themes, but for every theme that expands out in new directions (because trying to do new things with the brick isn't the same as forgetting it, fyi), we have dozens of classic building themes.

If you had look at the citation I gave where the tweet from Solid Brix said "Nintendo wanted normal LEGO brick built sets while LEGO wanted technology/interactivity" support what I said about them forgetting the brick again. 

10 minutes ago, nintendude64 said:

Thank you for this. This is by far the funniest thing I have ever read on a Lego forum and you have made my day.

"And they'll destroy City to make it happen!1!!1!!"

1 hour ago, ShadowWolfHount said:

Have anyone seen Jim Sterling made a video about the LEGO Mario

Agree, or their just being dramatic for the lols. While I think LEGO is doom to repeat history somewhere in the future, it is idiotic to think that this one thing is the killing blow for LEGO.

It's not that we hate licensed theme (not even close) it's that it's down right taking over LEGO as a hole, as it feel like all LEGO cares about is the licensed more while giving little love to their original themes. This is especially when Dimensions as around, only 3 of LEGO own IP while everything else was just licensed. The CMF series feel like they're giving less love to their original line compare to the spin off lines.

In the past there was a balance between licensed and original IP, fans of licensed stuff got their stuff, while fan of original stuff got their castle, city, space, and those looking for story and different got things like Exo-Force and Bionicle. And now all we who want original IP got are Ninjago, City, Creator, Hidden Side, Speed Champion (somewhere), while everything else is just licensed. We have only gotten 1 castle, 1 pirate, 2 space theme in the past 10 year, all lasting for 1 year (granted I do love these 1).  So it is reasonable why there are those who dislike licensed, including myself. 

If you had look at the citation I gave where the tweet from Solid Brix said "Nintendo wanted normal LEGO brick built sets while LEGO wanted technology/interactivity" support what I said about them forgetting the brick again. 

"And they'll destroy City to make it happen!1!!1!!"

I agree that there are too many licensed themes

I will reiterate myself, I really feel like we should wait for the full quote/interview to come out before jumping to the conclusion that Nintendo was dead set on brick sets and LEGO forced them to do a technology based theme.  I'm willing to bet a good chunk of money that the quote was partially taken out of context or is somewhat embellished.  Just think about it for a second.  They're not going to spend four years developing a product with LEGO and let them do whatever they want with the ideas and development.  If Nintendo was really that dead set on brick sets and brick sets only, they would've just kept with the K'Nex license or gone to Mega Construx, since that's where they already have the Pokemon license.  I don't know the ins and outs of the licensing agreement, obviously, but Nintendo in the past does not strike me as a company that lets people use their IP willy-nilly, they're pretty particular about the way that Mario or their other characters are portrayed.  There's absolutely no way that LEGO "forced" them to do anything here.  

My guess is that the full quote probably says that Nintendo initially came to them looking for a line of traditional brick-built sets without the idea of going further and including technology, which people have interpreted to mean "LEGO came up with this stupid idea that Nintendo didn't even want to do"

Edited by Kit Figsto

35 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

I want to apologize for how I acted. I've had a rough week, and I took it out on you guys. My relationship is falling apart and I've been really scared lately.

Oh, that's fine. I get that life's been messy, especially right now, and I guess all of us are using this hobby as an escape for the moment.

I really feel like the way that lego has presented this has only made it more confusing. They should have just done what they usually do and show us complete sets, not this mishmash of however many sets it is, because right now we're left to speculate on "which sets have mario?" And "are they all like this?" Or who knows what. The lack of clear answers to all of this doesn't really help anyone. I hope we find this all out sooner than later, so we can finally know for sure what we're getting. (And whether or not to be disappointed)

15 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

What the hell? Everyone here is being so dramatic. They’re trying something new, and that’s great for them. If it fails, it fails, and maybe then they’ll try making some minifigure based sets. But I’m holding out hope that the $100 set is a Bowser or Peach Castle with minifigures because I can’t see EVERY set being this kind of flat game level style especially when they said we’ll see very iconic things. I think this idea is very cool- not what I was expecting but I’ll definitely buy some sets to see how it works. I just hope we get minifigures eventually. I also don’t understand all the idiotic licensed theme hate at all. LEGO still makes original themes and licensed themes have created some awesome new pieces and figures even when they’re one-offs like Trolls and Minions. And this Super Mario line is definitely NOT going to kill LEGO. It’s doing just fine. 

It seems to me that the ones complaining about licensed yearn for the days of the Classics & think licensed is taking their spots away. While that has some potential, that doesn’t mean it’s true. 

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think it's different. I just wish that thing would look more like a mormal minifigure. They could have made it like those led keychains

Now that would be cool. I wonder if tried other more appropriate shapes & sizes but couldn’t fit the necessary components inside? It’d be neat to see that process from concept to final product. 

18 hours ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

I'm expecting one of two things to happen. Either these don't sell at all, or scalpers buy all of the Mario sets. If the latter happens, I can see this theme being counted as a success, and Lego stupidly continuing it. Either way, this spell certain death for Lego, especially because they lose the Star Wars license next year. I think it's time we all move on.

I saw your more recent post, and I'm sorry about that, but I just wanted to mention that you don't have to worry about lego losing the star wars license. The theme's selling really well, and lego can afford to take a hit on mario.

16 hours ago, Vindicare said:

The negativity is funny, the doomsday end of LEGO is hilarious...one line of 14 sets theoretically not selling well doesn’t mean the death of LEGO...how stupid is that? I can’t believe adults are making these comments. It could do good, bad, or great. Only time will tell. But please, continue with the dumb comments, they’re great. 

Yeah, I don't know if the virus scare is getting to them, but some of these are hilariously stupid comments.

I think we'll see minifigure sets. There's no reason for the guy in the interview to say he can't say if they're not coming, and some of the sets have a ppp of a normal set. (compared to the ones with insane ppps probably containing the RFID stickers, mario fig, or just those large parts like the pipe and those big rounded square parts that are two plates tall.

28 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think we'll see minifigure sets. There's no reason for the guy in the interview to say he can't say if they're not coming, and some of the sets have a ppp of a normal set. (compared to the ones with insane ppps probably containing the RFID stickers, mario fig, or just those large parts like the pipe and those big rounded square parts that are two plates tall.

Well there is actually a reason - he would make right away a lot of people disappointed and not interested in this theme. This way, he can keep some people's interest. Also, for example @Falconfan1414's "just when you thought it couldn't get worse for this theme" doesn't give us much hope for this theme.

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Well there is actually a reason - he would make right away a lot of people disappointed and not interested in this theme. This way, he can keep some people's interest. Also, for example @Falconfan1414's "just when you thought it couldn't get worse for this theme" doesn't give us much hope for this theme.

It didn’t have to do with that. Look I’ll say this, it seems the $60 set is a must buy to get into this theme at all. I get where they are going for this theme with style of build levels. But flagship sets that are $60 in order to get into a theme all together seems risky