Jim

[HELP] Generic Building Help Topic

12 minutes ago, langko said:

if you were willing to sacrifice the stackability

Sorry, I missed that bit.  In that case, no, I don't understand either.  

In fact, if you made a small unthreaded shim on one end, and a corresponding indentation on the other, you could make one that was both stackable and a full 2L long.  Maybe not enough diameter to play with on the 2L worm gears, but should be possible on the newer 1L ones, I think.

2 hours ago, langko said:

I understand that also. (And thankyou for explaining the calculations in more detail). But my question in the AMA was if you were willing to sacrifice the stackability, wouldn’t a perfect 2l or even 3l worm gear be possible? (The answer was apparently no, but I don’t understand why that would be so)

It sure seems that it would be possible if one were willing to give up the stacking!

Could it be possible they do it that way for some reason we are unaware of?

Maybe it's like that to avoid interfering with other parts while in operation, or the other way around.

17 hours ago, pdw said:

if you made a small unthreaded shim on one end, and a corresponding indentation on the other

I don't think there's enough thickness for that. Especially since you wouldn't want the shim to work itself into an adjacent axle hole.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:19 AM, pdw said:

Sorry, I missed that bit.  In that case, no, I don't understand either.  

In fact, if you made a small unthreaded shim on one end, and a corresponding indentation on the other, you could make one that was both stackable and a full 2L long.  Maybe not enough diameter to play with on the 2L worm gears, but should be possible on the newer 1L ones, I think.

All good, glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t understand. 

I’m not sure that would work.. if you then put 2 of those stacked worm gears on a rack the shim in between would cause it to be misaligned? I think it may be a choice between one or the other. 

On 3/8/2021 at 12:55 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

It sure seems that it would be possible if one were willing to give up the stacking!

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks so. Thanks for the reassurance I might not be going crazy!

On 3/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, Johnny1360 said:

Could it be possible they do it that way for some reason we are unaware of?

Maybe it's like that to avoid interfering with other parts while in operation, or the other way around.

That’s what I wanted to find out. But it didn’t go anywhere in the AMA and now it has ended...

2 hours ago, langko said:

I’m not sure that would work.. if you then put 2 of those stacked worm gears on a rack the shim in between would cause it to be misaligned? I think it may be a choice between one or the other. 

No, my idea is that the shim would slot into the end of the next one.  As @pleegwat says, I don't think there's enough diameter, at least on the 2L ones, and you'd only get a whole number of studs with a single unstacked gear.

9 hours ago, pdw said:

No, my idea is that the shim would slot into the end of the next one.  As @pleegwat says, I don't think there's enough diameter, at least on the 2L ones, and you'd only get a whole number of studs with a single unstacked gear.

Ah I understand now :thumbup:

Re Stacking 2L worm gears.

There is a right way & a wrong way to do this - see image.
If stacked the wrong way the worm teeth don,t match and cause increased friction when engaged with gear racks.

The groove seen between the teeth should all be in line to be correct.

51019670788_141c4fb3b0_c.jpgFlickr

Edited by Doug72

I would like help to make a lego technic nissan z32 in the style of bugatti chiron set. How can I do that?

@samuelgu I am glad to see another JDM fan here! The 300ZX is very underrated imo.

Do you have some technic MOC experience? Building a 1:8 scale cars like this takes a lot of time, especially if you don't have a lot of experience.

First thing I always recommend is to work with Sariel's awesome Model Scaler. It'll help getting the proportions right. >> Model Scaler <<

5 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Does someone know what the use-case is of https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3705b&name=Technic, Axle 4 Threaded&category=[Technic, Axle]#T=C&C=11?

Are those threads to make it easier to pull them out?

The longer ones have been used on turntables together with nuts to fix the upper part of the construction from falling off.

55 minutes ago, anyUser said:

The longer ones have been used on turntables together with nuts to fix the upper part of the construction from falling off.

Thanks! I would have never imagined Lego ever using nuts/bolts!

1 hour ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Thanks! I would have never imagined Lego ever using nuts/bolts!

Well, considering how little those parts were used in their time, they probably weren't exactly greatly useful or at least they broke easily or something. They were only ever released in 2 lengths, 4 and 10, and only appeared in a handful of sets.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

I'd be quite interested in getting some, but they are rather expensive now...

I wouldn't go overboard for them. Nice to have in a parts collection for completeness but they soon work loose in use, 3/4 turns of 8851 turntable, and double nuts do not lock it either. Possibly why discontinued so quickly?

On 3/24/2021 at 6:46 AM, Lira_Bricks said:

Does someone know what the use-case is of https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3705b&name=Technic, Axle 4 Threaded&category=[Technic, Axle]#T=C&C=11?

Are those threads to make it easier to pull them out?

I came across this use this morning. It's metal, but you could do something similar with the treaded axle.

Edited by weavil

Hi! 

does anybody have a solution for brakes for a rear axle, and brakes for a front axle? I see that lots of people use Pneumatics, but I am looking for something like the system that Sheepo uses...  anybody have any ideas?

22 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

Hi! 

does anybody have a solution for brakes for a rear axle, and brakes for a front axle? I see that lots of people use Pneumatics, but I am looking for something like the system that Sheepo uses...  anybody have any ideas?

I've done a number of cars with mechanical brakes. Here are some images of my most recent design:

Bronco Sport Rear(https://bricksafe.com/pages/2GodBDGlory/ford-bronco-sport)

Spoiler

IMG_20210313_110140704.jpg

M-motor driving U-joints, driving bevel gears, rotating 2L beams, pulling 6L links

IMG_20210313_110149190.jpg

Similar

IMG_20210313_110153533.jpg

Hub from above. The black connectors with 3L axle are fixed on one end, and loose on the near end. This pulls black 4L half beams, pulling the rubber against the disc

IMG_20210313_105944168.jpg

This is a poor image of the bottom of the hub, but it might help

IMG_20210313_105951467.jpg

Bronco Sport Front

Spoiler

IMG_20210313_105918697.jpg

The 5L suspension arm in the center activates the brakes

IMG_20210313_105926432.jpg

Bottom of the hub

IMG_20210313_105933321.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't currently have any images of these hubs on their own. If you are interested in them, and can't figure it out from these images, I can try to rebuild them and get some better ones.

OK! Thanks a lot, I hope you don't mind if I pilfer these creations and use them to my own ends...  (I won't sell them, of course!)

Edited by Scoar Sonander
ton > to

6 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

OK! Thanks a lot, I hope you don't mind if I pilfer these creations and use them to my own ends...  (I won't sell them, of course!)

Go right ahead! I hope that helps

Does anybody have any tips for making a Lexus front grill, like the one from the RC?

image.jpeg.54f20c712a15858bf0da5a93adf520a3.jpeg 

I've seen people just use normal plates, but I want to use this for 1:8 scale.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Scoar Sonander