Darnok

José's Inn - Ye Olde BoBS Drinking Hole

On 7/11/2022 at 11:37 AM, Maxim I said:

From this moment onwards, the harbor authorities of Elysabethtown (zone 20, value 290) and Damaborg (zone 50, value >80)  will not further share the list with anchored vessels to official authorities or even the KPA.

Although the IC implications are pretty fun (friction with Oleon is almost a certainty), there are some serious OOC consequences that should be addressed;

On 7/11/2022 at 6:34 PM, Captain Genaro said:

Are players/factions even allowed to hide movements like this (the sole exception being the SRs black flag/hidden hideouts)? What's to stop Oleon from just declaring all our movements to be secret and then prevent them from being published? 

Without solid rules, all RPGs devolve into bickering child's play.

@Ayrlego @CapOnBOBS @Capt Wolf @Professor Thaum

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

1 hour ago, Jeff of Clubs said:
On 7/11/2022 at 1:37 PM, Maxim I said:

From this moment onwards, the harbor authorities of Elysabethtown (zone 20, value 290) and Damaborg (zone 50, value >80)  will not further share the list with anchored vessels to official authorities or even the KPA.

Although the IC implications are pretty fun (friction with Oleon is almost a certainty), there are some serious OOC consequences that should be addressed;

On 7/11/2022 at 8:34 PM, Captain Genaro said:

Are players/factions even allowed to hide movements like this (the sole exception being the SRs black flag/hidden hideouts)? What's to stop Oleon from just declaring all our movements to be secret and then prevent them from being published? 

This was brought up in the Court and has been discussed there. I don't think this will wind up being as big a deal in this instance as it sounds like, but we are aware of the ramifications and have a plan. For now we are letting this play out in real time through the KPA, so enjoy the storytelling elements of this and don't worry.

Just now, Jeff of Clubs said:

Understood. Excited for the implecations in the KPA! Sorry for any hassle.

No worries. You raised valid issues (and you weren't the first :wink: ).

13 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

@Ayrlego @CapOnBOBS @Capt Wolf @Professor Thaum

As stated by Capt Wolf, it has been brought up and there are some limits to it.

Don’t see the possible friction with Oleon in this? Do I miss an event that could explain your thoughts?

There is a difference between ports declaring not to share information to authorities (reference: Nassau wich was a port of the British Empire, but for a brief moment was in facto a pirate heaven) and sailing fleets dissapearing from the map constantly (Stealth technology was not yet invented 😃

A black flag vessel sailing in a normal harbor will still be reported to the KPA. It’s not like all of their movements are hidden.

Storywise, it makes sense since at this very moment, Eslandola lacks central power to interfere in the shady activities of both settlements due the intern struggle (check the minichallenge). Note that Trador (the capital of MAESTRO is not doing this)

I can not understand how this (ref Nassau, but also Garveyan settlements) is comparable with a faction complely hiding their shipmovements.

last point to adress this: both settlements are open to black flagged vessels from all factions versus the benefit that only Oleon would gain by hiding movements

Interesting implications of a mayor deciding to aid vessels attacking other nations though...

What a fascinating time to return to!

9 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Don’t see the possible friction with Oleon in this? Do I miss an event that could explain your thoughts?

Just In character stuff; 

Oleon is engaged in a war with the Lotus Empire in the New Haven Sea. Damaborg sits between Oleon's settlements of Nouveau Oleandia and El Oleonda so a swarm of pirates berthed there could be an issue. 

It's nothing heavy but does afford some fun storytelling options! 

I will moc a diplomatic overture to the authorities of Damaborg that will state as much and offer IC solutions to both our woes. We don't want another open conflict.

8 hours ago, Bregir said:

Interesting implications of a mayor deciding to aid vessels attacking other nations though...

What a fascinating time to return to!

Mostly just this :pir-laugh:

OOC concerns were simply mechanical, and the court is well aware of implications, so those concerns are withdrawn.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:37 PM, Maxim I said:

Public Service Anouncement

MAESTRO PORTS welcome black flagged vessels!

Given the current political struggles within Eslandola, the still unknown official status of the island of Berelli and the need for supplies in Damaborg, the harbor authorities of Elysabethtown have succumbed to the continious attempts of bribing of Captain Grey. On the other side of the ocean, the growing settlement of Damaborg is in need of more supplies and inhabitants and prefer food and income (even from pirates) over spilling much needed funds and resources on keeping pirates away.

As Elysabethtown and Damaborg are still part of Eslandola, the only restriction is that before arriving in the harbor, no Eslandolan vessels were harmed, destroyed or captured. If this would have been the case, the assaultings vessels could be seized by the settlement of Elysabethtown/Damaborg. (OOC: if you want to visit Elysabethtown or Damaborg, don't attack Eslandolan ships that turn).

Furthermore the officials from both harbors are warning that within the city walls, Tullips and Pnences are not considered to be legal methods of payment!

If certain Black Flagged captains have questions, feel free to contact your local Apple Cider merchant to discuss this further.

Official statement of MAESTRO:

"Blame it on Count Lewishamilton or whatever his name is. We still are not as corrupt as he is and income will be invested in the development of our settlements and their residents. And Pnences are a fraud just like Tullips. But we do like Gwuinees, they are cute"

I'm answering for a friend, I'm just a simple humble sailor.

In theory, that's a good deal. My friend do not choose Eslandolan ships as an enemy. But what is if Eslandolan chooses black flagged ships as enemy? In the Kings Port Advertiser it will be written that my friend black flagged ships had a battle with Eslandolan ships. After that all my friend black flagged ships will be confiscated.

This offer has too many risks for my friend and is useless!

1 hour ago, NOD said:

I'm answering for a friend, I'm just a simple humble sailor.

In theory, that's a good deal. My friend do not choose Eslandolan ships as an enemy. But what is if Eslandolan chooses black flagged ships as enemy? In the Kings Port Advertiser it will be written that my friend black flagged ships had a battle with Eslandolan ships. After that all my friend black flagged ships will be confiscated.

This offer has too many risks for my friend and is useless!

Hmm excellent question :)

I guess there will be written who attacks who or that a detective can find these things out 😃

I think Eslandola might be in more need of troop variation than Oleon is :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by Justsomebrix

1 hour ago, Justsomebrix said:

Eslandola might be in more need of troop variation than Oleon

I am shocked. You take that back!

15 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Oleon or Eslandola...? :pir_laugh2:

Regardless, where are those helmets from? :pir-love:

And the torsos are stickers?

6 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Regardless, where are those helmets from? :pir-love:

And the torsos are stickers?

As Justsomebrix said, they are from AE.

Here are the Frenchies:

frenchies.jpg

And here are the Brits:

IMG_6341.jpg

I'm glad I'm not the only one who put the bayonet on the wrong place. It must be mounted further back.

The quality of these minifigures is very good. Arms, hands, legs and head can be moved easily. Many others from AliExpress are difficult to move. The left and right leg is mounted straight. Very often the legs are a little slanted inwards. The muskets are nicely made but a little difficult to put into the hands of the soldiers. In some places, the diameter of the musket is too narrow, so the hand can't grip it. The Sabers and pistols also look good. The printing on the uniforms is very beautiful and precise. The hats and helmets are also excellently processed. I am happy that there is good quality at a good price.

Not everything from AliExpress is bad. Who doesn't want, he don't have to buy it.

So all my photos, which aren't great to begin with, are taking a massive nosedive in quality as soon as they hit flickr. Any other hosting sites out there?

21 minutes ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

So all my photos, which aren't great to begin with, are taking a massive nosedive in quality as soon as they hit flickr. Any other hosting sites out there?

Want to host at corrington.club? Happy to provide an account for you. Some BoBs users do that. Hit me up in a PM if you do

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

Want to host at corrington.club? Happy to provide an account for you. Some BoBs users do that. Hit me up in a PM if you do

You could probably create an Oleon.club then too! That'll bring all of us over most likely! 😂

14 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

You could probably create an Oleon.club then too! That'll bring all of us over most likely! 😂

:pir-grin: Each domain costs ~$13/year to register so I don't want to add another one to the mix. If you'd like a subdomain of corrington.club or brickseas.net, then I'm happy to host for you (brickseas.net might be a little more faction-agnostic)

EDIT: So maybe jeffofclubs.brickseas.net and thomaswaagenaar.brickseas.net?

@Jeff of Clubs @Thomas Waagenaar

9 hours ago, evancelt said:

:pir-grin: Each domain costs ~$13/year to register so I don't want to add another one to the mix. If you'd like a subdomain of corrington.club or brickseas.net, then I'm happy to host for you (brickseas.net might be a little more faction-agnostic)

EDIT: So maybe jeffofclubs.brickseas.net and thomaswaagenaar.brickseas.net?

@Jeff of Clubs @Thomas Waagenaar

Haha, 13/year isn't too bad tbh, if there's more people from Oleon than just us willing to use it (since so far Flickr works fine for me), I'll happily carry the costs of the domain!

On 7/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, Jeff of Clubs said:

My IPG photos on Flickr, when I download them, are identical to the originals. On the screen on Flickr, my photos are scaled down, so they look worse. But I do not care. If someone likes the photos, then he or she can download them in the original quality. Do you have a difference in quality to the originals when you download one of your photos at Flickr?

@NOD I believe the culprit is my ISP actually. I live in a rural area here. It can take several minutes for the view to fully load some days. Estonia has better upload speeds than most of the states due to monopolies.

Has there been much work on the prehistory of BOBS? I'm imagining a Atlantis-style city for the Halos empire. Could be fun to explore. I already have the front end of a trireme, and I'm curious about ways I could use it...