I have started making a wheel loader with using new electric parts from 42099 (two L motors, two XL motors and a HUB). The goal is to recreate a Liebherr L580 loader:

L580-I-IV-R_ASD-Halle_03_2015_02.jpg

So far I have a chassis that can drive around and currently I am struggling with arm  movement.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by M_longer

7 hours ago, suffocation said:

How do you find integrating the new motors into your builds compared to PF motors?

They require a little change of habits, but are much easier to integrate with model's frame. They basically become part of the frame, not an addition to it like old PFs.

1 hour ago, Metagross555 said:

Where'd you get those wheels in the 2nd photo down, they look so good

RC4WD Mil Spec ZXL:

Z-T0075-1.jpg

https://store.rc4wd.com/MIL-SPEC-ZXL-19-Tires_p_1957.html

Curious to see progress. How do you pilot the new motors? I thought the Lego app allows for the time being no MOCs, but only 42099 and 42100.

1 hour ago, WvG_853 said:

Curious to see progress. How do you pilot the new motors? I thought the Lego app allows for the time being no MOCs, but only 42099 and 42100.

You can use Brick Controller 2 or, as Sariel just discovered, the latest version of the BuWizz app.

Why couldn't you use the official app with 42099 controls, I mean the hub and motors don't know what sort of construction they are built into? Of course that would make an unintuitive controller when you see 42099 on your screen but your MOC on your floor (or wherever). Brick Controller 2 of Buwizz app surely are better though.

8 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Why couldn't you use the official app with 42099 controls, I mean the hub and motors don't know what sort of construction they are built into? 

They know, actually. As I've explained in my 42099 review, the official app recognizes what motors are connected to the smart hub and the 42099 controls will work ONLY with two XL and one L motors connected, and they will ONLY let you use both XL motors for driving and one L motor for steering. With any other motors configuration, the app just won't connect to the hub.
It's good to know what you're writing about. And let the man use whatever software he wants, what's the problem? Is using third-party apps stealing from LEGO or something?

Edited by Sariel

That could be part of the frame is the only part I like of the new motors, like the L motor do but I will use the old ones a little more. I do.not like the wheels at all but I always learn something of your machinery so I will stay alert to this, every wheel loader is always wellcome.

I like this build already! 
Great to see the new PU motors find their way into the MOC's on these paiges, I hope to see you utilize some of the new potential!

5 hours ago, Sariel said:

And let the man use whatever software he wants, what's the problem? Is using third-party apps stealing from LEGO or something?

I agree, I don't see any reason why one would confine themselves to official TLG software only, if a third party app can make it beter and more functional.

8 hours ago, suffocation said:

You can use Brick Controller 2 or, as Sariel just discovered, the latest version of the BuWizz app.

Thanks for this info! I did not know this. Based on the reviews of the 42099 I thought you could ONLY use the new motors with the official Lego app. It was actually one of the reasons I decided not to buy this set for the time being. The better ...

21 minutes ago, WvG_853 said:

Thanks for this info! I did not know this. Based on the reviews of the 42099 I thought you could ONLY use the new motors with the official Lego app. It was actually one of the reasons I decided not to buy this set for the time being. The better ...

Sariel discovered it after my hint ;)

800x450.jpg

Major progress was made, the arm and bucket have now proper range of movement. Now I need to rebuild that mess into proper arm and Z-linkage:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

2 hours ago, Kio Liex said:

How many hours do you use a week on building LEGO? 

It depends on my shift at work, sometimes I spend none, sometimes I have building marathons for 8-9 hours a day :)

5 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Can't wait to see how it turns out. 

Me too.

The arm has been rebuilt, along with front frame, it is much more rigid now. The front lights are just placeholders, they will be changed on the end.

800x450.jpg

Very nice progress, as always :wink:. Nice to see the Control+ stuff hidden inside. You may be the first one to use this technology in a MOC!

@M_longer, did you use a special application to check the dimensions?

16 hours ago, M_longer said:

I have made a dimensions check and it seems that front parts needs some tweaks:

800x316.jpg

2 hours ago, Andman said:

did you use a special application to check the dimensions?

Not so much, the picture above was made with using Ldraw and Gimp.

Another update;
I am making first try on modeling the rear part of the loader, along with fitting that huge C+ hub inside. Ouch.

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

I already like it :classic:

You seem to manage the space very well! You will have a good counterweight :laugh:

What are the dimensions of the Hub? from the photos, I assume its width is 9L but what about the length. 

Keep it up, you really are a Modelteam master!