coaster

10-wide 4-6-0 C&O 377

I needed some downtime between working on tracks and train parts, so I built a choo-choo.  Specifically, a 10-wide (1:38 scale) version of C&O 377. 

When someone says "toy train around a Christmas tree," what comes to mind?  For me, it's a small steam engine and tender, something classically American, in a 4-6-0 or similar arrangement.  I didn't want anything that was just all black either, and I wanted something that hadn't been built yet (as far as I could find), which is how I arrived at the C&O 377.  I took some creative liberties with the build, most notably I wanted to use the single piece cowcatcher.  Real-life and track development got in the way a lot, so this took about 2 years to actually complete.  There are a few details I need to update or correct, but overall, I'm happy with how this build turned out.

10-wide 4-6-0 C&O 37710-wide 4-6-0 C&O 37710-wide 4-6-0 C&O 377

I'm very happy to see you finally got the time to build an engine to run on your awesome track - doubly so since it's a very fine piece of work.

Your mention of a Christmas train set my expectations for the model perfectly, it looks like an ideal little Christmas time engine and it's got that "familiar" feeling in the scale you chose. Of course, I'd take this in a heartbeat over any of the usual trains they sell around Christmas time. 

The time wasworth it ... I have a similar O scale train that laps the tree. This really turned out well.  It doesnt look 10w but it looks "right"

What a wonderful mix of old school (classic 1x and 2x windows, first gen technic connectors, etc) that looks totally new school. Great build!

Very tidy! There's some excellent parts usage around the whole model, and it certainly stands out with its size, colours, and details. Fantastic work.

On 5/27/2019 at 5:55 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

It doesnt look 10w but it looks "right"

I agree, the locomotive looks very well proportioned and I like the red door of the cab with the SNOTted window! :wub:

Great tender too! :thumbup:

Looks wonderful.  Lovely color scheme, and the fractional plate offsets at the top of the boiler are beautiful. Great use of those classic windows, too!  :sweet: