21 hours ago, Stephan said:

Well, they are actually not tightly attached to the bucket, so there is nothing to be illegal :)

Can that be added in the next update, then? And the barrel thing. I know that one's legal.

2 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

@Garry_rocks For info, one stud in one Technic hole is illegal now.  At least it was for the BrickLink Designer Program.  The Technic hole is indeed smaller than an antistud and stresses the stud but it was considered acceptable before.  The “7-year-old rule” made it totally unacceptable for more than one stud.  Also remember that it’s not because LEGO did it once (or thrice), that it’s okay.  Rules change.

I realize this is a major rule for TLG designers, but my question is why it also applies to AFOL users. LDD is officially abandoned by TLG for years now! I seriously doubt that anybody is using it to buy specific bricks without testing their model (or at least some connections) IRL beforehand. I see that type of connection in every other MOC and it's fine. Never heard anybody complaining about damaged studs. Well, I guess I'm asking too much...

What about just one-stud parts? Not all of them can be connected and not all of technic parts allow that connection. 

20 minutes ago, Garry_rocks said:

Well, I guess I'm asking too much...

I was just commenting on LEGO’s rules and parts’ stress.  People are free to what they want.  (I also use some studs in Technic holes when necessary in my MOCs :wink: )

7 minutes ago, Calabar said:

Did you miss my "edit"? :classic:

I wrote before you did it and, unless the forum let me post without warning me about it, I posted before too :tongue:

@SylvainLS
There was not any post after mine when I edited, probably the forum notify a new post but not an edited one.

Anyway the question at the heart of the speech is interesting. Should LDD allow illegal techniques? A switch among the options would be the best solution, but we have limited room for manoeuvre in editing LDD. Someone thought about LDD that it should "teach" legal techniques to builders not allowing legal ones, but that surely would not allow LDD to be an universal building tool. Maybe this deserve a stand alone conversation.

9 hours ago, Calabar said:

There was not any post after mine when I edited, probably the forum notify a new post but not an edited one.

Not an e-mail notification, but some forums warn you (“Are you sure?  There’s a new post.”) when you click the post/submit button that there’s a new post or it was edited.  And maybe it’s you who didn’t see my post: I posted between the time you refreshed the page and the time you submitted your edit.  Anyway, that’s just interesting as a “how does the forum work” question :grin:

9 hours ago, Calabar said:

Anyway the question at the heart of the speech is interesting. Should LDD allow illegal techniques? A switch among the options would be the best solution, but we have limited room for manoeuvre in editing LDD. Someone thought about LDD that it should "teach" legal techniques to builders not allowing legal ones, but that surely would not allow LDD to be an universal building tool. Maybe this deserve a stand alone conversation.

Yes.  For the LDraw editors, as they started (or still are) without snapping or collision detection, the question didn’t arise and now that people are used to be able to do anything, I think the “opinion” is that snapping and collisions are tools, not rules, especially as they aren’t perfect or complete.  At least it’s my opinion :tongue:

47 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

I think the “opinion” is that snapping and collisions are tools, not rules

Interesting thought, I think it summarize quite well the issue. So what's the course of action? Allow anything possible?

About the warning, I mean the forum's "popup", I'm quite sure there was not any post after mine when I edited but I can't rule out I miss something.

26 minutes ago, Calabar said:

Interesting thought, I think it summarize quite well the issue. So what's the course of action? Allow anything possible?

“Tools, not rules” rhymes too :grin:

In Studio, all Technic pins have a stud connector.  That allows them to connect to antistuds.  When I asked about it, I was told it’s because AFOLs use this connection often… though it’s not something I noticed.  (Note that it works on/for plates; on bricks, the pin doesn’t go all the way because the anti-stud is at the base of the bricks and the stud at the end of the pins.)  I’m not sure I like that.

But then again, missing connectors are less of a hassle in LDraw editors (Studio included) because you have simple tools to move parts around.  In LDD, you need scaffolding (sometimes very complicated) and tricks to adjust movements (like using a clip on a 2540 to move by 2LDU).

5 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Yes.  For the LDraw editors, as they started (or still are) without snapping or collision detection, the question didn’t arise and now that people are used to be able to do anything, I think the “opinion” is that snapping and collisions are tools, not rules, especially as they aren’t perfect or complete.  At least it’s my opinion :tongue:

I started from LDD and I think there is a difference between "illegal" and illegal. I mean there are rules for TLG designers and AFOL MOCers aren't bound by those. And then there are illegal things that are possible only with digital builds (completely disconnected sections, overlapping parts and floating bricks). I'm thinking that the first type should be ok in LDD since it's not a business tool for ordering your model as a set from Lego (as it was initially introduced). You can probably learn some connections from LDD and take it to real bricks, but most likely it's vice versa. LDD won't teach you how sturdy those connections are, how much friction is in those joints or how much weight can they support. If that's not the point of your attention, why bother about "illegal" connections everybody is using IRL anyway?.. Also I can show LOTS of illegal techniques emulated in LDD without triggering the famous "1k bricks were deleted from your model". Don't get me wrong, I know a workaround, I just wish there was an easier way to use this connection in LDD. But easy ways aren't for LDD users, are they? :roflmao:

Could be possible to include this piece in the next update?? thanks in advance.

Edited by CorvusA

22 hours ago, CorvusA said:

Could be possible to include this piece in the next update?? thanks in advance.

Will definitely be included!

I wonder if it's possible to increase the size of the decoration window. Say for selecting minifigure prints. Would be a lot easier to pick the right one if you could see them clearer.

For the next LDD Update please also check Part 35459 Tile 1×3, Inverted, W/3.2 Hole as Collision Data seems to be missing for the three Hollow Studs in the middle, thus other Bricks can be incorrectly placed within the Tile through the Holes (the Baseplate example only happens with Flat side down).

640x328.png

In addition, below is a list of all current Bricks with a possible distorted Decoration surface (UV Mapping exceeding texture bounds), use this for the most up-to-date information. Being simply a tiny visual issue these can always be modified later.

Already confirmed and clearly visible: Part 3068 Flat Tile 2×2, Part 87079, Flat Tile 2×4, Part 4150 Flat Tile 2×2, Round (compare with similar Part 14769).

Not yet confirmed but still visible: Part 15210 and Part 15210 Four-sided Sign With Snap, apply Decoration 93337 onto both and neither will be displayed 100% correctly.

Potential new candidate: Part 3039 Roof Tile 2×2/45°, not sure what is going on but when applying a Decoration which fills up the entire slope surface; sometimes the Decoration will get cut off on the left and right sides of the slope, sometimes the Decoration will not fill up the slope on the top and bottom sides, so it’s best to check this Brick’s UV Mapping too.

Thanks.

Any chance to see the new technic panels, wheel arches and the double-headed CV joint?

2509:

2509.png

3538:

3538.png

2438:

2438pb001.png

2442:

2442pb001.png

2405:

2405.png

I would really like to complete my motorized version of the 42054 :wink:

These new Technic parts will definitely be there!

I have some trouble finding time for LDD, to set up Patreon for direct part access, before the update and stuff like that.

Edited by Stephan

Quick bug report, and unfortunately I've got a feeling this one will be annoying to fix. I tried flexing part 63037 - Outer Flex Cable 88mm and this happened:

MXOTl76.png

Evidently there are some edges that are staying put while the rest of the model flexes, though some to seem to be staying less put than others. Not sure what would cause that second part.

While we're on the subject of flex cables, would it be possible to add versions of some of them that are pre-bent into certain common shapes (particularly circles)? The flex tool is a lot harder to control than it could be, and it'd be nice to have another option.

Edited by BrokenEye

By the way, this may be of interest to y'all - LEGO is still updating and releasing their parts library via Unity packages. The most recent update was less than 2 weeks ago, and there's lots of new parts that could be ported to LDD:

Someone I know even found unreleased/unproduced parts from canceled Vidiyo sets in there.

Edited by jamesster

On 4/23/2023 at 4:46 PM, jamesster said:

By the way, this may be of interest to y'all - LEGO is still updating and releasing their parts library via Unity packages. The most recent update was less than 2 weeks ago, and there's lots of new parts that could be ported to LDD:

Someone I know even found unreleased/unproduced parts from canceled Vidiyo sets in there.

Ooh, this is awesome! This will definitely speed things up.

Edited by Stephan

Hey @Stephan Could you add 6380020 please? It's the new train wheel introduced for the UCS Hogwarts Express last year.

I greatly appreciate all the work you put into the updates. They have made my designing process much easier and more motivating.

8 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Hey @Stephan Could you add 6380020 please? It's the new train wheel introduced for the UCS Hogwarts Express last year.

I greatly appreciate all the work you put into the updates. They have made my designing process much easier and more motivating.

It is on my list, but there is no proper 3D model yet. Perhaps it is in the new Unity update.

Glad to hear that!

Hi there everyone.  I just finished my ldd build of the Lego Icons: LOTR Rivendell set, and am currently working on the stickers and prints in my spare time.  I've got the floor tiles finished if anyone is interested on my flickr.  Contrary to the way they are listed on Bricklink and other parts lists, the last two tiles (2x2 and 2x3 pentagonal tile) use medium stone gray, not sand blue).  Which makes sense because they are meant to match up to the surrounding bricks.  Also, remember to select "Original" when downloading so you get the png version.

Edited by Mobieus69

On 4/24/2023 at 9:31 PM, Stephan said:

It is on my list, but there is no proper 3D model yet. Perhaps it is in the new Unity update.

Glad to hear that!

Ahhh makes sense.

I've joined your Patreon as I want to support the updates going forward. Who knows what I would have done without the updates!

Hi @StephanI ran into a few small problems with some of the LDD parts.

both 65509 and 65092 would cause a "zero length vector" error when loading the .lxf file in blueprint
(https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/108346-software-blueprint-a-building-instruction-generator-for-ldd/)
M0mmnHr.png  JT4PQat.png

the hub 28738, seems to have some collision issues resulting unable to plug in anything (be they motors or lights or whatever) in both A and B ports.
tspel8z.png  5zKuDeB.png

28326 also have some collision issue where when I'm building the Ford Mustang Set, I am unable to achieve this step shown in screenshot

W6NPAvX.png  qXMbIcd.png

Edited by Yangster