I noticed recently that there's been no topic for future landmark buildings (mods please merge/delete if I'm wrong) so I thought I'd better make one.

There have been 6 landmark building sets made by TLG so far:

1. 3450 Statue of Liberty (2000)
  2. 10181 Eiffel Tower (2007)
  3. 10189 Taj Mahal (2008)
  4. 10214 Tower Bridge (2010)
  5. 10234 Sydney Opera House (2013)
  6. 10253 Big Ben (2016)

The Statue of Liberty is technically not part of this line but of the 'Sculptures' line that also includes 3723 LEGO Mini-Figure and 3724 LEGO Dragon, but I have included it here as the only Creator Expert set not officially of the 'Buildings' line that is a building known worldwide.

The Taj Mahal was rereleased in 2018 as 10256. 

But the big question is.... what next?

The building has to be something that can be sold and recognised globally, and would be a very large set (the smallest so far is the Statue of Liberty with 2882 pieces).  It would also probably need to be something of architectural interest - not just a big glass skyscraper (the Burj Khalifa falls into this category).  Towers are possible, but as the last one was a tower, I think it's unlikely.  10253 also had a large extension to the side which made it far more interesting.  If you ignore the Taj Mahal entirely (or at least the rerelease) there have been buildings in 2007, 10, 13, and 16, so it would make sense to have one in 2019.

The Taj Mahal rerelease is now the only one available, as Big Ben and Tower Bridge have both just been retired from LEGO’s range.  It would therefore make sense to have one this year, with no others available apart from the Taj Mahal.

So what is it? Share your thoughts in the comments below - but please no 'I want' or similar.

Edited by Peppermint_M
Changed thread title.

I strongly hope the next one will be an Italian landmark, but since we have much more churches than "civil" buildings to boast, one of the fewest possibilities would be the Colosseum or Rialto Bridge. Worldwide speaking, Brandenburg Gate could be a good candidate, as well as Golden Gate Bridge...every other monument I can think of is either a church or related to religion (St Basil's, Christ the Redeemer, St Marcus's, St Peter's etc)

10 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

not just a big glass skyscraper (the Burj Khalifa falls into this category).

It's at least got the spiraling setbacks to lend it some variety, so it wouldn't be quite as repetitive a build as something like the Seagram Building, but I agree that in general towers are less likely candidates. Then again, I also thought that buildings that had already been done as Architecture sets were unlikely to be revisited as Creator Expert sets, then 10234 and 10253 came out, so what do I know? My dream set for this line would be something Greek - a Parthenon, or maybe even a full Acropolis if they scale it down. And wasn't there some talk a while back about a Creator Expert-level LEGO House, or was that just referring to what became 21037?

Excellent idea for a topic @Vilhelm22:thumbup:

Regarding what you said pertaining to modern skyscrapers, yeah, there's just not much that can be done technique-wise with such uniformly monotone structures; but, having said that, I would love to see skyscrapers from the earlier parts of the twentieth century, namely NYC's Chrysler Building, as that wouldn't be as monotone of a subject matter to make for an interesting build. :classic:

On 2/1/2019 at 7:30 PM, Giacinto Consiglio said:

I strongly hope the next one will be an Italian landmark, but since we have much more churches than "civil" buildings to boast, one of the fewest possibilities would be the Colosseum or Rialto Bridge. Worldwide speaking, Brandenburg Gate could be a good candidate, as well as Golden Gate Bridge...every other monument I can think of is either a church or related to religion (St Basil's, Christ the Redeemer, St Marcus's, St Peter's etc)

All excellent suggestions Giacinto Consiglio!  The Golden Gate Bridge would look fantastic but I'm worried about its length.

I may be wrong, but I think in this theme religion is less important - I know in the WV subtheme, it's based off Christmas but not all religions celebrate it so it can't be called that - but in Buildings, a lot of famous landmarks are religious, and some would look excellent.  Also, the Taj Mahal is religious - it is a tomb, and (though not part of the set) to the side of the complex is a mosque.  I personally would love to see your suggestion of St Basil's as a set.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:42 AM, tafkatb said:

My dream set for this line would be something Greek - a Parthenon, or maybe even a full Acropolis if they scale it down. 

Excellent idea!  I'd be interested to see how they would do the half collapsed style of the Parthenon - or would they do the full-scale replica in Nashville?  I think the Acropolis would be either too big a set or when scaled down the Parthenon would be too small.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Excellent idea for a topic @Vilhelm22:thumbup:

Regarding what you said pertaining to modern skyscrapers, yeah, there's just not much that can be done technique-wise with such uniformly monotone structures; but, having said that, I would love to see skyscrapers from the earlier parts of the twentieth century, namely NYC's Chrysler Building, as that wouldn't be as monotone of a subject matter to make for an interesting build. :classic:

Thanks @Digger of Bricks!  I think you're right with regards to skyscrapers, but I don't think the next one will be that as it is similar in basic shape to Big Ben (actually the Elizabeth Tower).  However, I think it's possible that one in the future will be.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:39 AM, blueduck37 said:

I would love to see a Brooklyn Bridge set on a Tower Bridge scale.

Good idea, but I think a different bridge would be more likely as it would be more architecturally interesting  - Tower Bridge, for example, is 2 main colours rather than one and is like two castle towers, and is also of similar shape i.e. 2 towers joined in the middle and at both ends, so a sort of repeat would be unlikely.  The Rialto Bridge, for example, is a completely different shape, so would I think be more popular with collectors who have Tower Bridge, such as me.  

Just now, Vilhelm22 said:

I think you're right with regards to skyscrapers, but I don't think the next one will be that as it is similar in basic shape to Big Ben (actually the Elizabeth Tower).  

True, though I figured that it'd be more likely to happen than its other famous NYC skyscraper neighbor, the Empire State Building, as it'd be more complex in its building techniques given the more complex shaping of its ornate spire. :shrug_oh_well:

File:Chrysler Building spire, Manhattan, by Carol Highsmith (LOC highsm.04444).png

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

True, though I figured that it'd be more likely to happen than its other famous NYC skyscraper neighbor, the Empire State Building, as it'd be more complex in its building techniques given the more complex shaping of its ornate spire. :shrug_oh_well:

File:Chrysler Building spire, Manhattan, by Carol Highsmith (LOC highsm.04444).png

Agreed.  It would be a very interesting build

I could see either a detailed Eiffel Tower or a Chinese Temple happening.

I would like to see (but it won’t happen) is a recreation of the Neuschwanstein Castle from Germany. 

I always thought the Sphinx would be a good idea for a large scale expert creator set.  

28 minutes ago, ddavid said:

I could see either a detailed Eiffel Tower or a Chinese Temple happening.

I would like to see (but it won’t happen) is a recreation of the Neuschwanstein Castle from Germany. 

Eiffel Tower was done in 2007 so probably won’t happen again.  I see what you mean about the castle - looks amazing but is huge and not known globally like the others.

3 minutes ago, ndawgg said:

I always thought the Sphinx would be a good idea for a large scale expert creator set.  

The sphinx would be good, but as the only other available set is the Taj Mahal which is also nearly all one colour, I find this unlikely.

I’ve been wondering what the next set is this line will be.  I’d love something Greek or Roman, Neuschwanstein would be great but is too close to Disney. Something Asian could be neat too, maybe Angkor Wat?

On 2/6/2019 at 5:18 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Isnt there a large architecture set coming of the Empire State Building this year that’s approx the size of the newest Statue of Liberty?  I think that would rule this one out as being the next large landmark building.  

12 hours ago, ndawgg said:

Huh, I've strangely not considered the possibilities for ancient landmarks within the Creator Expert theme. The Sphinx in particular, would make for a much more interesting set than Khufu's Pyramid if the subtheme were to cover Ancient Egypt. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, ndawgg said:

Isnt there a large architecture set coming of the Empire State Building this year that’s approx the size of the newest Statue of Liberty?  I think that would rule this one out as being the next large landmark building.  

There is, but would the two necessarily conflict with each other? :shrug_confused:

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

There is, but would the two necessarily conflict with each other? :shrug_confused:

I don’t think they’d put them out in the same year.  But you’re right, it doesn’t mean a larger Empire State Building couldn’t happen at some point once the other one is older or retired.  

In a interview I think Jamie said that older buildings that are more intricate and detailed look better in Lego that modern ones. He also said that the Sydney Opera House performance was a bit underwhelming, so I guess we won’t be seeing modern architecture any time soon.

55 minutes ago, Dragunov2 said:

Sydney Opera House I like to see again

BTW: I think the Opera House is a brilliant model, much better than Big Ben

Edited by ddavid

I think at the moment my favourite would be St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow.  Has that even been done in Architecture?

Edited by Vilhelm22

I would love to see the Forth Rail Bridge. One of the most recognisable bridges in the world and an amazing piece of Victorian engineering.

16 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Wow.  Yes!  I’d be interested to see the strength of those towers.

And per year, u get extra pieces, so it's finished in another 100 years ;)

All of these ideas are amazing. As to what is most likely to come next i have no idea. But being french and recently visiting the Paris lego store I would Love to see a Notre Dame, Louvre, or arc de triumph set. As to saying skyscrapers would be boring I agree but one I wouldn't mind becoming a set is the frost tower in Austin Texas. I think it would be a fun challenge to construct the top of that tower. Props to everyone on this thread with the amazing ideas.

Here is an image of the frost building i had mentioned.

Image result for frost tower

I agree, a tower would be interesting. But it should be something well known like the One World Trade Center from NY or the Shard from London (they would look something like those 1/650 MOCs). I also (still) think a chinese temple would be something that could work very well in this bigger scale (Forbidden City or Angkor Wat). I just hope we will get anything this year ;)