Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

AoM: Inn Build 2: Yule Celebrations

It is traditional in many parts of Mitgardia for celebrations to be held around the time of the winter solstice. The celebrations mark the 'turning point' where the often harsh winter is halfway through and the people can look forward to spring. Traditionally, to help the people of their lands through these tough winters, the Lord of the village would provide bread baked from his own personal grain supply and ale paid for with his coin. These offerings are usually distributed in a festival that includes music and dancing. 

31421916517_493c6eb396_c.jpg

In Ambarvale, Sir Alan hosts these traditional festivities and the villagers all come out to enjoy his generosity. As the weather remains clear, the festivities are held in the yard of the smaller of the towns two taverns. A nearby fur tree (planted years ago for just this purpose) is decreated with a bright star and scraps of rag.

It's taken me a couple of days to getting around to posting this, but here is my latest build! It is again the same style as I've been using and will likely the last like this for a while. I've attempted snow again and am still not convinced I've quite pulled it off...!  The AoM requirement was for a beer garden but I decided for a seasonal twist. I hope all have a good break this holiday period and get to spend some time with their family and loved ones.

Lovely build.  The building is fantastic, the roof technique is great and i agree with you about the snow on a roof pitched like that is hard to do considering that it's hard to replicate as it would be in real life.  The snow would usually just fall right off a roof pitched like that but it think it looks fine as the snow would fall off the roof quickly if the sun came out.  And having it built up at the base of the building is realistic and looks good.  The snow on part where the people are isn't all that bad either maybe more rounded plate or flat plates would work.   I like the style of the building itself is unique and has great texture and wooden parts look nice.  Overall pretty good job.  

Another great build David!

You're certainly getting good value for money out of those 1x2 tiles :grin:, but all the same it looks fantastic as always.

The sand green looks great as northern grass, gives it a muted feel. I bought a load of sand green recently for similar reasons.

The scene is nicely populated with figs and I love the banner of flags.

Great work!

This looks like a refreshingly cool and jolly scene!  Great job making the snow look natural, I think you did an especially good job around the low stone wall. 

Great build. I love your buildings in general. Might emulate them a little the next time I build something like that.

The sand green and snow work really well together. The muted colors on the build draw attention to the festivities.

As I have said before I really love the way your buildings have enough detail but also a practical simplicity that makes them look like they could go anywhere with a few tweaks. That ground floor level is great for so many builds.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and then build some more!

another nice build for your city! really neat. I particularly like the portico in front of the entrance :thumbup: as for your doubts about the snow, I think you're doing pretty well overall. To be precise: what could be better is the tree - the white leaves should be at the top (simple snow fall) or maybe at the side if a storm had raged, but not at the bottom. The rest of the snow is well done on the roof as well as on the ground (given all the activity and the hence the fact that it's partially melted), but I think you've nailed it close to the little wall on the left hand side, I really like it there! I also love the figs :classic:

Nice building, minifig posing and overall atmosphere of the build :thumbup:
I particularly like the snowy wall :classic:
My only nitpick would be that when shooting a build containing white at some edges like in the tree here, it would be better with a slightly darker background to make the elements pop a bit more.

Another beautiful building! Love the color combo of the dk bley and brown, as well as the macaroni tile use on the walls.

The snow on the roof and ground looks very nice! You will equal SK in your snowscapes yet (maybe, unless he sabotages you to make sure you never equal his snow). The house looks great, especially the headlight bricks used sideways in the wall to give some nice clean (and closed) studs for texture. I am not sold on the grey shutters, as they don't fit the rest color-wise very well, and I wish there were an easy way to hide or fill the little gap in the trim up at the top of the eaves, but beyond that the house is excellent. The tree needs a bit of work, though. I wonder, if, instead of white leaf pieces, you had used 1x2x2/3 curved slopes with no studs on the dark green leaves, since that would match the texture of the snow on the roof and ground better, as well as allowing you to put the snow on the edges of the branches where it would more likely collect. (Also, as a side note, it is a fir tree, not a fur tree - though pronounced the same.) I really like the gathering of people, too. 

Your tudor style is great!  Roof, wall texture, the plaster and lathe work on the walls, plus the old-school shutters are my favorite!  Love the snow on the tree and the star on top as well.  Great work with the flags on a string (I may borrow that at some point) and the many peasants.  I like the snow on the ground, although I don't think it looks quite as natural as your last build, but it may just be that the peasants have trampled it down.  Excellent work!

I'm gonna echo previous commenters, but with good reason. The roof is fantastic, the building quite nice, and underrated is the posing and picture quality. Keep it up!

A simple touch that looks lovely here, is the wooden planks topping the stone stairs :thumbup:The low stone wall by the first story door is another excellent detail.

As HQ said, your snow is excellent! And of course the tudor building is gorgeous :wub: