Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

Cutlass to foreshadow a return of the Pirate Theme?

Vote now!  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a sign that Pirates are returning?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno

Interesting poll, Sinner! :thumbup:

I voted for YES because I bet that there'll be a new Pirate theme next year.

I don't think that the sabers are the only sign: They could be used for Western, Adventures and fantasy themes, too :pir-sceptic: .

The reason for that: Legomilk told us that there will be two new themes in 2009. One of them surely will be some Space theme - and the other surely will be Pirates since we already got a :pir-sick:-theme (Agents) this year. And Western will - if any - but hopefully - be "only" Factory and no new theme. So: What's nearer than Pirates (since it wasn't done for about ten years and you'd really like a comeback)?! :pir-sweet:

Klaus-Dieterh

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I vote yes, and now have a NEW reason! There is a LEGO PIRATE in the Lego Club Magazine, here is a picture:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/axle417/...zin/pirates.bmp

But... In that picture there is also a KK looking knight that is not in any current set, I think this just has these figs in it because the artist felt like drawing them (they don't really go with the fleshies though).

Also in the Cool Creations page is a nice Pirate ship, very nice sails and rigging, this was made by a 4 and 7 year old!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/axle417/...agazin/ship.bmp

That is definately not foreshadowing a return to the pirate theme. :pir-tongue:

:skull:

I don't know so I voted for dunno.

It may foreshadow a return as do the 2 torsos in the other thread.

I hope lego is indeed planning a new pirate line and not just getting rid of those old cutlasses :pir-hmpf_bad:

This thread title is a little deceiving. It should be amended! Like: "Cutless to forshadow a Return?"

In any other case:

No. Maybe they used it because there is actually a cutless in the movie...

:O Movie spoiler!!!!

Curiously, they fought with rapiers in the movie, not cutlasses. Irina's sword had a handle, but both rapiers and cutlasses have handles like that. After seeing the movie, I had wondered about that piece choice as well. Also, a bunch of themes make comebacks later on-heck, Castle and Space have been doing it for nearly twenty years! Also, take Alpha Team and Aqua Raiders (or Aquazone-same dif). They made comebacks years later, so why not Pirates?

Edited by Adam

Well, it's always good to have a brand new cutlass after all these years, and the bley doesn't bother me in this case. As for the Pirates - as I wrote in another thread, I have a strong feeling they're coming back. I'm sure we'll have them by 2010, maybe sooner. :pir-classic:

Thought I'd share this little bit of information. When I was at Brickworld this year, I went out to a bar with a bunch of Lego employees and some other fans. After the conversation (and drinking) had been going on for a little while I casually brought up the question of whether we'd see a new pirates line any time soon. :pir-wink: One of the employees got a very telling look on his face and it was pretty clear that he had an answer but obviously couldn't say anything. This combined with the new shark, the return of the cutlass and the monkey, and those pirate figs in AZ make me 90% sure Pirates will return next year.

When you think about it, pirates used to be one of the four pillars of System. The past few years have really seen Lego returning to its roots in a number of ways. It's only natural that this would involve the return of pirates. :pir-classic:

Edited by fallentomato

Yes I believe they're returning, but I think worse than even before :(

I don't think lego's gonna go back to that traditional look BSB or SES had

more like into Red beard runner style and maybe they add more colours

so it looks like a patchwork quilt in the sea

In Gizmodo's recent Lego interview, the Lego rep listed Pirates as one of Lego's four "evergreen" themes — i.e. permanent themes that stick around, unlike the minor themes that last 2-3 years.

There's lots of other interesting stuff in that interview, especially when it comes to theme popularity and market details (like how Germany is #1 for Lego).

Thought I'd share this little bit of information. When I was at Brickworld this year, I went out to a bar with a bunch of Lego employees and some other fans.

Ah nuts, I was invited to that particular round of liver abuse but decided to call it a night since it'd been a long day already and I had a long drive home. Next year I get a hotel room!

I had posted the "where there's smoke, there's fire" metaphor elsewhere regarding a new Pirate line, and at this point, we have something approaching a mushroom cloud worth of rumors, innuendo, and half-glimpses. I wouldn't be the farm, but I'd be willing to put a barn or two on the line we'll be splicing the main brace to celebrate new Pirate sets soon enough.

badger

All this means is that TLG still has a Cutlass mold, which hasn't been in a set for years.

It's not THE sign for the return of Pirates, but a small sign.

So, i voted to yes, this is a sign that pirates are returning. :thumbup:

When I checked this a few weeks back it was a close vote, but now it seems that people are starting to agree with me. I wonder why... :pir_laugh2:

When I checked this a few weeks back it was a close vote, but now it seems that people are starting to agree with me. I wonder why... :pir_laugh2:

I guess everyone likes to vote for the sure winner.

I guess everyone likes to vote for the sure winner.

Then why didn't they agree with me in the first place; I am a winner! :pir-laugh:

Well, aside from the obvious bandwagon effect of folks wanting to hope on the winning team, there's also an interesting phenomenon in social psychology that explains this as well:

If you present a story without an ending to someone, then give them four different possible endings and are told to pick the one that's most likely to occur, people will pick each ending with equal probability. However, when told that one answer is what "really" happened, people will then overwhelming pick that option regardless of which of the four ending is said to be what "really occurred."

Basically, the knowledge of how a situation really turned out colors how you you view the sequence of events that led up to it. Over the past few months, there have been numerous threads claiming that the return of certain parts in recent TLC sets, images in TLC media, and products at LEGOland parks meant Pirates where on the way. Now that we know for a fact Pirate sets are indeed in the TLC pipeline, it's hard to look back objectively at those "hints" without considering the new information that's come to light.

Did the return of these items mean TLC was dusting off molds the company knew they'd be making use of in upcoming Pirate sets? Maybe. Then again, they could have also simply thought with an available accessory that worked well enough for the job (the TLC cutlass doubling for a rapier), why waste resources on a new mold?

Without someone from inside TLC giving us info that yes, those parts were returned to active production in anticipation of the new Pirate line, we can do nothing but throw around idle speculation as to whether or not they really were clues Pirates were to make a return.

badger

Over the past few months, there have been numerous threads claiming that the return of certain parts in recent TLC sets, images in TLC media, and products at LEGOland parks meant Pirates where on the way. Now that we know for a fact Pirate sets are indeed in the TLC pipeline, it's hard to look back objectively at those "hints" without considering the new information that's come to light.

But I was the first to make a topic about hints, and I made that with only the cutlass hint. Those guys who made topics after mine when the evidence was starting to add up are side show phoneys; I'm the real herald! :pir-tongue:

But I was the first to make a topic about hints, and I made that with only the cutlass hint. Those guys who made topics after mine when the evidence was starting to add up are side show phoneys; I'm the real herald! :pir-tongue:

And a modest Herald this one is too :pir-grin:

Yes, the cutlass did indeed foreshadow a return of the Pirate Theme!

It is appearing in Indiana Jones sets too. So they may bring out a new mold next year?