Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

15 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

I just re read the dimensions, no way is it 20 inches deep. Is anyone far enough I to the bud process to confirm if that's actually it's depth?

The set is 36/37cm (14.1-14.6inch) deep when you place the building against the wall (so that the gazebo part sticks out). I read somewhere else that they measured the 20inch/50cm while placing Elronds Council build in front of the Rivendell build. I haven't measured that, but I don't know how they even came up with the depth dimension. 

32cm at the deepest point dixit one youtuber (my estimate was around 30 looking at the set in store). Said youtuber commented that unfortunately it was a tiny bit too deep for a certain brand bookcase many AFOLs use.

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m most of the way done the build. I’m blown away by the ingenuity of this set design. There’s also just something so nice about sitting and building Rivendell while listening to the Prancing Pony Podcast with an ice cold beer

Same, almost done (tonight hopefully).  I enjoyed a mix of the movies and audio books while building. The build is excellent though. I love all the oh that’s why they did that moments while building.

1 hour ago, Hoth Rebel said:

The set is 36/37cm (14.1-14.6inch) deep when you place the building against the wall (so that the gazebo part sticks out). I read somewhere else that they measured the 20inch/50cm while placing Elronds Council build in front of the Rivendell build. I haven't measured that, but I don't know how they even came up with the depth dimension. 

Ohhh that's much more reasonable, it's gonna be hanging off the shelf a bit but that's alright 

I'm waiting for 2X VIP points to get this, but just reading all the positive comments and reviews makes me more and more excited for it. 

I called my local LEGO store and they wouldn't divulge the amount of sets they received lol. They had done that in the past for Titanic, AT-AT, etc. It sounds like it's selling well most places, whatever the number. This is a good sign!

My local certified store in France received 30 copies and 12 were sold at six in the afternoon.

They expect to sell them all until wednesday. 

Edited by Khargeust

37 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I'm waiting for 2X VIP points to get this, but just reading all the positive comments and reviews makes me more and more excited for it. 

I called my local LEGO store and they wouldn't divulge the amount of sets they received lol. They had done that in the past for Titanic, AT-AT, etc. It sounds like it's selling well most places, whatever the number. This is a good sign!

Mine sold 10/30 in 5 minutes.....

22 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

WHAT?!?! How was that even in stock?

I know, right? I emailed the store manager and asked, and his response was:

"Regarding the LOTR polybag you received with your purchase - you're right, it is an older set. Occasionally, we have very small quantities of previous promotions, which we can then use as little extras for kids, perhaps on their birthday or another special occasion. In this case, we were able to use the polybag as a reward for those first few customers who bought the Rivendell set, as a thank you to them for supporting the store."

So I guess they must have had some really old stock lurking in the back *huh*. Makes me wonder what else they've got back there!

Really nice touch though.

4 hours ago, Hoth Rebel said:

Did you mean taking out the whole council, to reveal the "eye" hidden underneath, then placing the whole council in front and outside of the whole build???

3 hours ago, Arjo said:

32cm at the deepest point dixit one youtuber (my estimate was around 30 looking at the set in store). Said youtuber commented that unfortunately it was a tiny bit too deep for a certain brand bookcase many AFOLs use.

Which brand bookcase is this? I am building a Lego room so I would like to know... Is it the Swedish low-cost ones? Or were you referring to the expensive fancy plastic/ LED ones made in Singapore?

2 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

Ohhh that's much more reasonable, it's gonna be hanging off the shelf a bit but that's alright 

I'd like to protect it from dust, so I will likely encase it in a clear 'box' made by a Lego-associate company from Europe. So I will need a pretty deep cabinet.

So, I like the new Ed hair a lot, with the notable exception of Legolas.  I used the Legolas hair on haldir from helms deep which was an improvement for both.

now that I am done building all I want is more of the mini figs for multiple scenes.  I also might rebuild the shards of narsil section as a standalone somewhere else.  Just because it is hard to see on display but I want to keep Rivendell together.

2 hours ago, hikouki said:

Which brand bookcase is this? I am building a Lego room so I would like to know... Is it the Swedish low-cost ones? Or were you referring to the expensive fancy plastic/ LED ones made in Singapore?

It's the Billy bookcase from IKEA. @kbalage mentions it in his (excellent) video.

Good news, just checked Lego.com and saw it on back order!  I am thinking we will get more LOTR (factoring in more people waiting for better VIP points or GWP or saving up etc.)

40 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

It's the Billy bookcase from IKEA. @kbalage mentions it in his (excellent) video.

IKEA does sell a deeper ~40cm deep Billy variant in Europe , but doesn't look like they sell those everywhere in the world.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, hikouki said:

Did you mean taking out the whole council, to reveal the "eye" hidden underneath, then placing the whole council in front and outside of the whole build???

I'd like to protect it from dust, so I will likely encase it in a clear 'box' made by a Lego-associate company from Europe. So I will need a pretty deep cabinet.

I've accepted that mine will collect dust. Oh well. At least I'll have plenty of time to admire the build while I dust it

23 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

If it's a LEGO exclusive, it's highly unlikely to be discounted. Best would be 2x VIP with a good GWP. Titanic and the Colosseum feel like good comparisons, as they're exclusive and expensive. No discounts from LEGO, and I've not seen any going 'cheap' second hand, as they're not the kind of sets that you impressed purchase and then regret later.

If it goes out to retail partners, then maybe more of a chance of a discount, but that will vary by region.

Thank you for the information!

1 hour ago, Lordhelmet said:

Good news, just checked Lego.com and saw it on back order!  I am thinking we will get more LOTR (factoring in more people waiting for better VIP points or GWP or saving up etc.)

That "backorder" but still order-able seems to happen pretty frequently on most items (except the tragic UCS Hulkbuster and the table football LOL), but the next step would be for it to be "temporarily unavailable." Meaning it really sold out with a pending return date.

I do agree that the price point is hampering quicker sales, but this one is just so well-made that I really think it is worth it! I do not mind Lego making another masterpiece of the same price. Of course, I would not mind, and actually would want, smaller items too!

Edited by hikouki

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

IKEA does sell a deeper ~40cm deep Billy variant in Europe , but doesn't look like they sell those everywhere in the world.

Unfortunately they don't even sell them in every European country...

Sets ordered on March 1st with normal shipping: dispatched on the same day

Set ordered on March 5th with express shipping: still not dispatched

*insert eyebrow raise meme*

Anyone who’s got the set and copies of the old figures able to offer some pics of swapped parts?

Legolas with the old face and new hair, old face and old hair, new face and old hair (basically every combination possible :pir_tong2: )

Also swapping for Arwen’s old hair, Gandalf’s old face, switching Merry/Sam hair colours, and anything else anyone can think of…?

When logged into the Lego [UK] website, the Rivendell set is now on 'back order'. When logged out, still says 'coming soon'. So, there's that. :shrug_confused:

My set purchased midnight Sunday, still not dispatched.

13 hours ago, kbalage said:

Unfortunately they don't even sell them in every European country...

IKEA's home country Sweden = What 40cm deep Billy bookcase?!

Sadly not sold here in Sweden.

Great Britain, Belgium, Portugal, Italy and Netherlands and a few more, seem to have those, close to, 40 deep.

sonofasubmariner, if those 75x32cm is correct, Then maybe, I could fit this, on a 2 wide modified Detolf? I had a friend make a custom top and bottom. If I use those in my current apartment, then maybe I could fit this build inside, if I someday buy it.

It looks amazing tho!

Edited by Shiva

24 minutes ago, Shiva said:

IKEA's home country Sweden = What 40cm deep Billy bookcase?!

Sadly not sold here in Sweden.

Great Britain, Belgium, Portugal, Italy and Netherlands and a few more, seem to have those, close to, 40 deep.

sonofasubmariner, if those 75x32cm is correct, Then maybe, I could fit this, on a 2 wide modified Detolf? I had a friend make a custom top and bottom. If I use those in my current apartment, then maybe I could fit this build inside, if I someday buy it.

It looks amazing tho!

I like the IVAR system from Ikea for displaying Lego, very modular and offers two depths in the U.S. to use.  

2 hours ago, sonofasubmariner said:

If anyone is interested, Tiago Catarino's review is on YouTube. I find his reviews pretty valuable personally:

As always, a fantastic review. The comments made towards the end of the video were a bit of a downer though. The suggestion that this is probably all we’re getting in the LOTR theme. ☹️

2 hours ago, th0r1n said:

As always, a fantastic review. The comments made towards the end of the video were a bit of a downer though. The suggestion that this is probably all we’re getting in the LOTR theme. ☹️

If true I’ll buy another one next year.  Should know by the end of the year though.