Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

32 minutes ago, Lordhelmet said:

Seconded, it feels like every ten pages ROP comes up again.  

the new minifigs have grown on me. I was initially going to order new faces (the old ones) but have decided to keep these ones the more I have looked at them, I don’t love that they reuse the faces but the look of these ones has really grown on me.  I think my only change for me is going to be Legolas hair to the old one and sams hair color.

In honor of the Disney CMF leaks, what LOTR minifigs would be our top 12 for a CMF LOTR series.

1. Eoyen  2. Sauron  3. Faramir 4. Witch king 5. Tree Guard (Gondor)  6. White hand Uruk  7. Gothmog  8. Gondor pippin  9. Rohan merry  10.  Gondor knight 11.  Lothlorien elf (with helmet and shield as side items)  12. Rosy (or a different hobbit)

I’ve mapped out so many CMF series concepts for LOTR it’s ridiculous. It would be hard to narrow it down to one series of twelve figures. But knowing lego, four slots would most likely be the Hobbits. I think the best CMF options would be variants that wouldn’t appear in sets. For example, the most likely version of Eowyn to appear in a set down the line is a Dernhelm version from the Battle of Pelennor Fields. So maybe a Helm’s Deep version or an Edoras version would be perfect for a CMF 

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

1 hour ago, Lordhelmet said:

In honor of the Disney CMF leaks, what LOTR minifigs would be our top 12 for a CMF LOTR series.

1. Eoyen  2. Sauron  3. Faramir 4. Witch king 5. Tree Guard (Gondor)  6. White hand Uruk  7. Gothmog  8. Gondor pippin  9. Rohan merry  10.  Gondor knight 11.  Lothlorien elf (with helmet and shield as side items)  12. Rosy (or a different hobbit)

If for the first one you mean Eowyn, I support your proposal ;-)

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’ve mapped out so many CMF series concepts for LOTR it’s ridiculous. It would be hard to narrow it down to one series of twelve figures. But knowing lego, four slots would most likely be the Hobbits. I think the best CMF options would be variants that wouldn’t appear in sets. For example, the most likely version of Eowyn to appear in a set down the line is a Dernhelm version from the Battle of Pelennor Fields. So maybe a Helm’s Deep version or an Edoras version would be perfect for a CMF 

Good call, I suppose you could have two lists.  1) CMF series where they never make another LOTR set again (my list). 2) CMF series where they do make a few waves of sets in the future and then it would be variant focused (or book focused)

I would be good with four hobbits so long as they are variants or not the main four to build a better hobbiton like the sackville baggins the old gaffer, rosey, some tooks etc.  it would be cool if they did a D2C of Bag end and included a bunch of hobbits but also suramon to let people recreate the book ending where they take back the shire.  (Could use the Galadriel mirror vision scene for licensing reasons)

1 minute ago, Altair1 said:

If for the first one you mean Eowyn, I support your proposal ;-)

This is true, I am not sure a Eoyen would be a good minifig :).   I also would prefer Eowyn .

2 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

Good call, I suppose you could have two lists.  1) CMF series where they never make another LOTR set again (my list). 2) CMF series where they do make a few waves of sets in the future and then it would be variant focused (or book focused)

I would be good with four hobbits so long as they are variants or not the main four to build a better hobbiton like the sackville baggins the old gaffer, rosey, some tooks etc.  it would be cool if they did a D2C of Bag end and included a bunch of hobbits but also suramon to let people recreate the book ending where they take back the shire.  (Could use the Galadriel mirror vision scene for licensing reasons)

This is true, I am not sure a Eoyen would be a good minifig :).   I also would prefer Eowyn .

Yeah, I’ve made lists for CMFs that aren’t accompanied by anything else and I’ve made lists for CMFs that go along with possible sets and it’s a lot of fun to come up with the lists

If they did a CMF, I hope they'd go back to 18 like the upcoming Disney 100. Because we all know that the CMF would have to include the entire fellowship, but at the same time, no one would want that. Or maybe, maybe they could be brave and do a Marvel where they ignored the movie characters and focused on the TV shows. What would sell better? Fellowship appeals to more general audience, but are they interested enough in LEGO LOTR CMFs? Other characters probably appeal more to AFOLs and serious LOTR fans, who would likely buy them out quickly, but there aren't as many of them.

17 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I'm sorry but that's a terrible comparison.  Peoples palettes are different and maybe beef isn't there idea of good food no matter if it's wagyu or not.  I for one am not a big fan of lobster does that make me lacking knowledge no it doesn't it means I don't care for lobster.  There is a discussion section I set up in multimedia for Rings of Power show.  I'd rather discuss the topic there as this is for set discussions.  

Cool lets continue it over there

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Yeah, I’ve made lists for CMFs that aren’t accompanied by anything else and I’ve made lists for CMFs that go along with possible sets and it’s a lot of fun to come up with the lists

CMF Tom Bombadil would be rad. 

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

If they did a CMF, I hope they'd go back to 18 like the upcoming Disney 100. Because we all know that the CMF would have to include the entire fellowship, but at the same time, no one would want that. Or maybe, maybe they could be brave and do a Marvel where they ignored the movie characters and focused on the TV shows. What would sell better? Fellowship appeals to more general audience, but are they interested enough in LEGO LOTR CMFs? Other characters probably appeal more to AFOLs and serious LOTR fans, who would likely buy them out quickly, but there aren't as many of them.

I would imagine many LOTR fans would want the Fellowship. Much more than would want other characters but without the Fellowship. I doubt very many LOTR fans will be buying Rivendell. At that price and scale it is for LOTR AFOLs not LOTR fans. Whereas if you can pick up the complete Fellowship for $40, more casual fans would buy in to the CMF. Without the Fellowship, and with no small regular sets, I doubt a non-Fellowship CMF set would sell very well.

But I don't think we'll get one as I don't think enough of the target audience for CMF are into LOTR.

Edited by MAB

32 minutes ago, MAB said:

I would imagine many LOTR fans would want the Fellowship. Much more than would want other characters but without the Fellowship. I doubt very many LOTR fans will be buying Rivendell. At that price and scale it is for LOTR AFOLs not LOTR fans. Whereas if you can pick up the complete Fellowship for $40, more casual fans would buy in to the CMF. Without the Fellowship, and with no small regular sets, I doubt a non-Fellowship CMF set would sell very well.

But I don't think we'll get one as I don't think enough of the target audience for CMF are into LOTR.

I kind of assumed that if they did a CMF, they would have other sets to go with it, which include the Fellowship. But yes, if it was ONLY a CMF (and Rivendell), then you'd have to have the Fellowship.

Also agreed that they're very unlikely to do it.

30 minutes ago, MAB said:

Perhaps a compromise would be to have a CMF that included different variants of the Fellowship characters from the Rivendell set, like the Simpsons or Ninjago Movie CMFs did with their main characters. As a casual fan I don't recall how many unique costume changes the LotR cast had throughout the trilogy, but I'm pretty sure that there were at least a few (plus the potential for other situational face prints and accessories as well).

I agree that if there were a LotR CMF series it would have to include at least some of those major characters who appear elsewhere. As big of a fuss as AFOLs make over "army builder" figs or unproduced side characters, major characters are more likely to attract the sort of casual audience that a low cost, high production line like the CMFs needs to succeed.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Perhaps a compromise would be to have a CMF that included different variants of the Fellowship characters from the Rivendell set, like the Simpsons or Ninjago Movie CMFs did with their main characters. As a casual fan I don't recall how many unique costume changes the LotR cast had throughout the trilogy, but I'm pretty sure that there were at least a few (plus the potential for other situational face prints and accessories as well).

It depends on whether the line is successful enough to continue beyond Rivendell and Barad-Dur. If we're going to see yearly releases for each of the major locations then most of the costume changes are going to be covered in the sets anyway. It doesn't leave much else for a CMF series to cover.

also can we get a LOTR advent calendar while we are at it (a list of things LOTR fans want).  I would buy four or five of those.  And I would like a Santa gollum and an Uruk in a Santa hat or Christmas tree Gandalf 

1 hour ago, Lordhelmet said:

also can we get a LOTR advent calendar while we are at it (a list of things LOTR fans want).  I would buy four or five of those.  And I would like a Santa gollum and an Uruk in a Santa hat or Christmas tree Gandalf 

Great idea! We have them for several Lego themes, why not LOTR!

10 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I kind of assumed that if they did a CMF, they would have other sets to go with it, which include the Fellowship. But yes, if it was ONLY a CMF (and Rivendell), then you'd have to have the Fellowship.

Also agreed that they're very unlikely to do it.

2 hours ago, Triceron said:

Oh wow, Christmas LOTR advent calendar would be interesting.

Does Lego have the license to make standalone minifig ‘sets’ for LOTR?

I thought I read somewhere that due to licensing issues, just like with SW, they are not able to make CMFs or minifig packs. But battlepacks are possible.

Dunno how that translates to Advent Calendars.

The new Rivendell set is truly remarkable, even going of the leaked images I thought it would be something special but not to this extent, having such an amazing exterior whilst also capturing a very good interior for what I think is at good price (especially when you look at the cost of SW & other themes) is so hard to do.  Getting the entire fellowship in a single set makes it all the better as well.  

One thing I think sells it more than most sets (other than the obvious detail and architecture) is that it's all built onto one big platform.  What I mean by that is that usually we get a building that just stands on its own but with this it really feels like Rivendell, like you can walk from one building to the other.  That is defiantly a feature than needed to be included with Rivendell as it's very much about the ascetic look.

If I had one issue with it then it would be to just make it bigger and give us one or two more buildings just to expand Rivendell.  I'd of happily paid more for that.  Having said that I do imagine if we are to get more sets then we may get a small expansion potentially for this set.  

Also are the rumours true that Barad-dur will release this year or was that just speculation?

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

Also are the rumours true that Barad-dur will release this year or was that just speculation?

They are still rumours.

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

If I had one issue with it then it would be to just make it bigger and give us one or two more buildings just to expand Rivendell.  I'd of happily paid more for that.  Having said that I do imagine if we are to get more sets then we may get a small expansion potentially for this set. 

I think it is big enough (actually, too big) as it is. Increasing the size and cost even further would likely lose many more buyers than the extra size gains in income. I also doubt we will see a small expansion for it. If we are lucky and get smaller sets for a LOTR theme (instead of ICONS) then there are plenty of other locations they could do and give something new rather than being an add on to an already large set. If they visit Rivendell again in a smaller set, I imagine there would be duplication of characters and possibly some architecture. So something like the small Wizard Battle vs Orthanc in the previous LOTR theme.

5 hours ago, Artanis I said:

<snip>

A smaller version? Are we at the Star Wars point of set reissues? :look:

A 10 years old set that many were not able to get back then does not help anyone ;) Please just accept that many were not able to buy the initial LOTR or Hobbit wave back when it was first released.

Edited by MKJoshA
Please don't quote pictures

1 hour ago, MAB said:

They are still rumours.

I think it is big enough (actually, too big) as it is. Increasing the size and cost even further would likely lose many more buyers than the extra size gains in income. I also doubt we will see a small expansion for it. If we are lucky and get smaller sets for a LOTR theme (instead of ICONS) then there are plenty of other locations they could do and give something new rather than being an add on to an already large set. If they visit Rivendell again in a smaller set, I imagine there would be duplication of characters and possibly some architecture. So something like the small Wizard Battle vs Orthanc in the previous LOTR theme.

What’s the difference?  It’s still labeled as LOTR and packaged as that isn’t it?  Also the description said LOTR sets so surely we can expect more.  Or as you say it’s just a rumour now regrading Barad-dur but it does make sense if they release it as it would still be under ICONS and cover the description that was out out about LOTR in general.  

17 hours ago, MAB said:

I’m not sure about this, most LOTR fans and LOTR collectors are used to very expensive collectibles. Many people in some of the Tolkien communities I’m in that don’t buy lego have expressed serious interest in the set already

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Reviews are out... Its funny how all those "main" channels drop the review video at the same time :D Besides Ashnflash and Solid Bricks Studio, all of them are quite annoying. Especially Emosaurus :D

Edited by Blazej_Holen