M_longer

42079 - Heavy Duty Forklift - MODs and improvements

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

Thanks, but they seem a little small.

Nah I reckon they suit it really well.

20 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

My idea after building:

(56 mm Balloon tires:)

Honestly I'm not fan of balloon tires, but I have to admit that it looks like some off-road forklift truck ?

...but size is more appropriate in comparison to length...

The reason for the limited lift height on 42079 is that the load needs to be kept at a safe altitude while travelling. Since this is the type of forklift that carries loads around a dockyard rather than stacking them in a warehouse, I'd say the fork travel is more than appropriate here.

The lxf is done. Thanks to M_Longer for making the Base.

The Rope follows green(knot)-> blue ->Orange -> yellow -> pink -> trough the lightblue Pin and knot in green pinhole

43810009672_6b15661878_c.jpg

edit: lxf link is fixed

Edited by efferman

Hm ? ...  I was wondering how long will we have to wait for your improvements...was afraid that you were gone to vacation

unfotunately no vacation. simply to much work at high temparatures. So i have only time and energy for small things.

My improvement using 10 different pieces:

Forks all the way up. (20 studs tall ATM)

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Should be easy to mod.

Edited by Aventador2004

@efferman Is it possible that I cannot download your LXF file? The site gives an error message when i click on the link.

5 hours ago, efferman said:

unfotunately no vacation. simply to much work at high temparatures. So i have only time and energy for small things.

Let's say that I understand you; here in continental part of Croatia is some 35 degrees Celsius last week or so and will continue...nevertheless nice effort :thumbup:

Ok, then i have to upload it at bricksafe

edit: done

Edited by efferman

Here is my 5 minutes MOD. This was so obvious, I am wondering why is it not applied on the set as default. Forks all the way up to the top of the mast, making 21 studs clearance beneath. I love this little set, and now it is PERFECT! :wub:

HERE you can download in PDF format, 7 extra pcs needed:

4x https://brickset.com/parts/4121715/connector-peg-w-friction 4121715

2x https://brickset.com/parts/4142135/technic-5m-beam 4142135

1x https://brickset.com/parts/614126/round-plate-1x1 614126

1280x384.jpg1280x724.jpg1280x723.jpg

2 hours ago, agrof said:

I am wondering why is it not applied on the set as default.

My guess would be because it isn't firmly locked in place. Applying a mediocre amount of force on the fork might make the rope break free from that half pin. Same goes for @Aventador2004's solution, that pin hole with pins on both ends could turn once force is applied on the fork. Would this happen with normal play? Of course not. Is it a major problem if it does happen? Of course not, easy to fix if it does. Does Lego consider it "legal"? Maybe not.

Edited by Appie

13 minutes ago, Appie said:

My guess would be because it isn't firmly locked in place. Applying a mediocre amount of force on the fork might make the rope break free from that half pin. 

It is actually very stable connection, I can not make the rope plug move at all, the whole fork+mast assembly bends. Tested. :wink:

EDIT: at the top position it does indeed disconnect, the reason is, that the 3x5 liftarms slide apart above a certain (unreasonable) force.

What I only can think of as "not-so-ideal" situation: the rope is actually sliding on the top of the mast - instead of having a rolling support. This might cause earlier wear of the rope=reduced lifespan. If it really matters, I don't know, for me it still seems an acceptable trade-off.

Edited by agrof

I tested this type of connection a few days ago before you posted this idea and could rip the cord from the assembly easily. The difference being, I tested it without the fork and mast, you did it with. I like my individual connections strong without a mast and fork to share in the load and I suppose Lego does too, hence it not being in the model.

6 hours ago, agrof said:

Here is my 5 minutes MOD.

Looks exactly like mine. Seems to work for me.

4 hours ago, Appie said:

Same goes for @Aventador2004's solution

It was a proof of concept, almost the same thing I made used by Agrof.

Finally finished the RC mods of both A and B models. The Tow Truck came first:

It has the following functions:

- M motor to drive the rear wheels
- M motor for steering (return to center with rubber bands)
- Fake engine driven by M motor
- Controlled with a Power Functions IR receiver and IR remote or a Powered Up remote