Jim

[TC14] Technic Theme Park Contest - Information Topic - Deadline 7th of September

8 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Do we just change the name of our WIP thread to MOC when we get finished or do we need a WIP and a separate MOC discussion topic thread as well as our entry post in the contest thread?

There is no need to add WIP or MOC or whatever, just TCxx. And we keep it that way forever ?

so are we expecting a flood of entries today and tomorrow ?

I'm looking to see everyones creations

I managed to redo my video as i wasn't happy with it

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

so are we expecting a flood of entries today and tomorrow ?

I am wondering the same thing. 

30 minutes ago, Jim said:

I am wondering the same thing. 

Me too, I was expecting there to be a lot more entries by now...

BTW, there's a comment in the entry topic.

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

BTW, there's a comment in the entry topic.

I removed the comment, thanks.

Well, I am going to post mine as soon as it’s finished... @Jim, what is the actual cutoff time (and time zone) for us fools on the Americas side of the pond? My midnight Friday is your Saturday morning.  :sweet:

With the amount of schoolwork I got and work work, if by chance I do finish my build in time, I won't have time to make any kind of a decent video. 

2 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Well, I am going to post mine as soon as it’s finished... @Jim, what is the actual cutoff time (and time zone) for us fools on the Americas side of the pond? My midnight Friday is your Saturday morning.  :sweet:

You just got an extra week. Don’t push it :wink: 

And you basically answered your own question.

That’s ok @Jim, I’m not  pushing it, I’m just going to need as much time as possible that night... and thanks for the extra time already, I was amazed at what I got done in two weeks. Having a lot of fun either way :classic:

The voting topic is available! Good luck.

Just 12 entries... I thought there'd be more, It's such a cool contest!

It's to bad The prizes were not yet secured at the start of the competition, I think the prospect of having a chance to win a neat LEGO prize is incentive for a lot of builders to build an entry MOC and join the competition.

Speaking of the prizes @Jim are we still not allowed to know what they are? 

11 minutes ago, shadow_elenter said:

Well, I for one wasn't able to finish my ride in time. Might finish it at some point nontheless, but not as TC14 entry...:sceptic:

Anyway, I'm curious to see all entries, gonna check it out later today. Indeed a cool contest!

11 minutes ago, shadow_elenter said:

It's to bad The prizes were not yet secured at the start of the competition, I think the prospect of having a chance to win a neat LEGO prize is incentive for a lot of builders to build an entry MOC and join the competition.

Speaking of the prizes @Jim are we still not allowed to know what they are? 

I do think the theme was kinda hard, so I am actually satisfied to have 12 entries.

I'd rather have 12 people entering because of the contest, than 24 because of the prizes :wink: 

Of course you are allowed to know what they are. The prizes are LEGO Technic sets, which will be sent out right after the contest has ended. So, no more delays because of third party prize providers.

It's 12 new, original, highly inventive builds. Within 2 months. That's quite a feat.

I will take my time to pick some favorites and cast a vote. I have seen some pretty cool rides already!

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

It's 12 new, original, highly inventive builds. Within 2 months. That's quite a feat.

2 months? I got mind built in like a week haha. 

@aminnich, more like 3 weeks for me, but a lot of hard work by all of the contestants.  I wish I had more time for a better presentation, but I could not be more pleased with the performance...  I was worried it would not be as fast as the original ride, and it ended up being twice the speed!

I enter the competitions because I like that it gives me a topic to build to. Never entered because of specific prizes. I think the Technic mugs were the best prize so far.

I too entered simply for the fun of the challenge, before jim announced there would be prices.
But I loved how active the forum was when we had TC11. Lots of WIP's to follow, lots of innovations to be seen, and interesting discussions why bot X would beat bot Y. 
I missed that a bit in this one, partially because there were simply not too many contestants, and I got to thinking what would make it so that more people would enter...

4 hours ago, Jim said:

I'd rather have 12 people entering because of the contest, than 24 because of the prizes :wink: 

I'd rather have the 24 contestants, even if that means half of them got motivated because there are prizes.
It would not be a bad thing for the 12 that would enter because they just like a competition (in fact they might be triggered to go even further), and the other 12 may just as well make great and interesting MOC's. 

If the net result is more interesting builds and more fun activity on the forum I'd say what motivates people to enter is not that important.

More people=more fun!

But your right, the theme is quite challenging and that may just as well be why there's less entries.

Edited by shadow_elenter

What I notice with every contest is that there are a few people posting only on the last days, posting their finished stuff without works-in-progress. While little can be done about it, I think the most fun of these competitions is seeing everyeone's entries progress, and commenting on their entry-to-be and giving suggestions and tips and exchanging ideas.

As for reasons to enter, I'm with @shadow_elenter - if someone else enters for the prizes, but they show a cool build, does it matter? (In many cases, we wouldn't even know - not everyone tells why they enter - and if we don't know, it can't even matter).

I think the prize, for me, does not influence the decision to enter, but the fact that there are prizes might make me just a bit more enthousiastic about the whole event. I would lie if I said I was indifferent to the chance to win a cool Technic set ;)

And yes, it's a hard subject this time. Maybe next time do something a bit more down-to-earth (literally, seeing all those dizzying thrillrides).

I started building something for this contest, but it's summer, so I ended up taking advantage of the weather and abandoned the build. I wonder if the season affected anyone else. 

I’m sure lots of people were affected by the summer holidays. For me the greater challenge is when the “boss” at home will let me have a few hours build time.

is it mad that I’m looking forward to TC15 already?

15 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Maybe, but TC13 was supposed to have no prizes, and there were still over 20 entries.