Didumos69

42083 Bugatti Chiron - MODs and Improvements

I do like the black and white... Very cool! Now let’s hope TLG releases those fenders in more colours.

Just now, LvdH said:

I do like the black and white... Very cool! Now let’s hope TLG releases those fenders in more colours.

Thanks! And they do it the 2019 911 RSR. But that white fenders on the 42096 911 RSR looks like are different size and with printed patterns. i hope it don't.

Wow, that's way more than a MOD, I am really impressed.  Though I wonder what the overall weight of it now is... massive!

7 hours ago, dforce said:

Wow, that's way more than a MOD, I am really impressed.  Though I wonder what the overall weight of it now is... massive!

Thanks! and the last time i check it is around 3.Xkg.

Intriguing to see that people set themselves completely different goals when it comes to modifications; some like to add as many extra features as possible, whereas I am much more interested in reducing and simplifying things. That's what is so great with this medium! 

On 11/25/2018 at 2:15 PM, Lipko said:

Please, do a blog post, I love reading such things.

Glad to read that there is an interest for such "boring" hard to see stuff.

On 11/25/2018 at 2:42 PM, brunojj1 said:

Suggestion: it would be nice to have a side by side comparison with the original model to be able to figure some of the major changes. Probably the easiest way would be to show the excerpt of that particular stage from the official instructions (pdf available). That way you would need to formulate a bit less of explanatoty text which may overstrain some younger people nowadays  :wink:.

Yeah, I have to think a little on how to present such an "optimization" topic in an interesting and easy to understand way. Comparison between the models with a short explanation would probably make most sense. Then I just have to figure out the most effective medium for doing this; photo's, digital models and/or instructions...  

On 11/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, Bartybum said:

@NKubate Are you planning to redesign the ugly squashed front of the original model?

Someone else asked me this too if I would look into changing sections of the externals. For the moment this is not part of the plan, but I guess we'll just have to see how things progress...

Does anyone know why there is a loose 32t blue gear wheel in the rear axle?

To me, this just seems like extra friction. 

42132778094_0c7e67172b_b.jpg

1 minute ago, skaah said:

Probably to avoid the differential from slipping by sandwiching it.

15 hours ago, skaah said:

42132778094_0c7e67172b_b.jpg

As my though I truly thanks there is another blue 20T then i don't need to but one more

The holidays have allowed me time to actually build and tinker.  As I was building my 42083.... I noticed something.  Late to the party - yes - but I do not think this has been discussed yet.  Apologies if it has.  A quick search of "air brake" on this thread did not yield anything I am alluding to. 

Anyways, the rear spoiler deploys with no problem with the key. But as mentioned in the original 42083 thread, in the real car, it also elevates into a ~45 degree angle to serve as an air brake.  Even the full-size Lego Bugatti got this right. 

However, 42083 does not.  Uses friction 3L pins on step 508 that hinders the whole process.  Check out this little video to see the correction. 

Edited by nerdsforprez

23 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Uses friction 3L pins on step 508 that hinders the whole process.  Check out this little video to see the correction

Excellent. @jb70, will you add this to the pimped up version?

So, I also just finished this. Now looking for best pipmped instructions.

I don't know, but shure, that others also did. I put one spare 1L connector, where there was end of 5.5 axle "connecting" to pin 3/4. It was just meant for that place.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, NKubate said:

The past few weeks I have been working on a redesign for the front section (box 2). However - similar to the rear section - many of the changes seem hard to notice because it's about parts optimization and efficiency, where the overall structure will not change that much in comparison. I could go more into detail of different sections and submodules with all the modifications I have done and my reasoning behind it if people are interested, but then it's perhaps better to make a separate blog of it... Suggestions?  For now some more pics to share, with the most notable differences visible at the bottom. 

Chiron redesign WiP front section by Nathanael Kuipers, on Flickr

Chiron redesign WiP front bottom by Nathanael Kuipers, on Flickr

I would love a blog post with more details.

@nerdsforprez, weird that yours didn’t work. Mine works fine (airbrake and spoiler), even with friction pins. I do admit that it takes some force though. 

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

@nerdsforprez, weird that yours didn’t work. Mine works fine (airbrake and spoiler), even with friction pins. I do admit that it takes some force though. 

And perhaps that is the key.  I am not so much saying it does not work, but it certainly doesn't work well, or at least without some definite warping of the key.  if I remember correct, the key uses a 7 or 9L axle, and too much force will twist it, could even ruin it.  As can be seen in the video, I think the force needed is too excessive.  Mine didn't work b/c I am not willing to potentially ruin a good axle.  IMO, better to simply replace the friction pins with frictionless. 

So as I continued to build my Chiron, thought it might be cool to see some internals while shifting through all eight gears.  I know others have made mention of this before, but they like models that can mix aesthetics with also the guts of a machine.  I like the idea, and may leave the car like this so I can display both sides depending on my mood.  Just simply switch it around when I wanted to show one over the other:

cutaway_small

Here is a video of it shifting through all the gears.  Also showing the error in the design... i.e. the lack of gear block.  I know we have corrected it, but I am just showing the error in the original. 

@nerdsforprez your idea is actually better because with to much force pieces can be damaged and become useless :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

8 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

So as I continued to build my Chiron, thought it might be cool to see some internals while shifting through all eight gears.  I know others have made mention of this before, but they like models that can mix aesthetics with also the guts of a machine.  I like the idea, and may leave the car like this so I can display both sides depending on my mood.  Just simply switch it around when I wanted to show one over the other.

This is absolutely fantastic! We should do that for every model from now on!

Lego Bugatti Division GT ( Blueprint )

I know it is almost 2019 and I have not update anything like a few month, but in this few month i have been working on this project a lot and have not give up to anything.

It is sad that I don't have much time to bring this to real life but one day I will! So wait me for more great news in the near future!

And happy new year everyone!

95VKqUS.png
GXdhNMv.png
8Ip2oc2.png
tBIi9xY.png
gfAm2vv.png

In that Vision GT guise with that colour scheme it looks simply stunning! I look forward to seeing it in the brick. Great work :thumbup:

Edited by grum64

@jb70: Just building your pimped bugatti (now already with box 6): its a real pleasure to build this improved version - works like a charm and especially these mods are IMHO essential fixes:

- suspension: now working on both axles

- HoG steering: the most MUST of all

- HoG gear-switching AKA as gear-indicator: also very useful

- Your door mechanism and especially the "locking" is quite genius - kudos!

so in your incarnation the Bugatti ranks easily within the best supercars out there... thanks a lot for compiling the BIs!

@nerdsforprez: have included your small fix for the air-brake - very good finding, works well now.... thanks a lot too!

Edited by Kumbbl

On 12/28/2018 at 7:03 AM, I_Igor said:

@nerdsforprez your idea is actually better because with to much force pieces can be damaged and become useless :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Kumbbl said:

@nerdsforprez: have included your small fix for the air-brake - very good finding, works well now.... thanks a lot too!

Perfect - glad others could use it.