Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

[Era II, Ch IA - OL] The Gilded Cup, Jameston, Celestia

The Gilded Cup, Jameston, Celestia

This is my entry for Era II, Challenge 1, Category A. The build was somewhat inspired by the 18th century Green Dragon Tavern in Boston.

In the rapidly growing settlement of Jameston, a place of particular popularity among wealthy gentlemen scientists and adventurers exploring the wonders of Celestia is the luxurios (well, by colonial standards...) tavern called The Gilded Cup. An expedition is making ready to set out from there to search for the rumored superb orchid of Celestia.

39915383251_239ba836ce_c.jpg
The Gilded Cup

39915382721_1521512dea_z.jpg
The innkeeper greets one of the island's many explorers

26042415508_4e2348f61a_z.jpg
Corlander colonial troops

39915382131_d3daed8e6b_z.jpg
Expedition members are discussing their plans for their venture into the jungle

Members of the expedition
Gideon Saulse de Bothnia
Mayor of Astrapi. Always a restless adventurer, so when he got bored of the duties of mayor he has neglected all of that and gone off on new adventures. Now Gideon has heard the rumors of ancient treasures on Celestia and has arrived in Jameston, in the search of the fame and glory.
39016567865_e28b554a51.jpg

Jayson Saulse
Member of the Order of the Faith, devoted to Poseidon. Brother of Gideon, but has relinquished his noble titles when he swore fealty to the Order. Exploring the frontiers together with his brother, but his motives are less obvious. He claims to be searching for ever more splendid offerings to the God of the Sea in order to improve the good fortunes of the Oleander fleet, but some whisper that his true objective with this endeavor is to please his masters and strengthen his position within the Order.
39016568105_a2029829f3.jpg

Dr. Alistaire Garrett
Gentleman scientist, with enough inherited money to spend on a life of scientific exploration while still travelling as comfortable as possible. As every true gentleman scientist of this era, his research interests are multi-disciplinary. His true calling however lies is the discovery and cataloging of the botanical and zoological wonders of New Terra.
39915380541_1abcff9350.jpg

Edan Braxton
Corlander adventurer, among the first to explore Cascadia and therefore speaks the Myzectlan tongue well. He can therefore communicate somewhat also with the natives on Celestia and will (for a good price) guide an expedition towards a rumored ancient temple complex in the jungle.
39915379801_d9aa4c89aa.jpg

Fantastic as always. :excited: Beautiful design in dark red, and lots of good details in the structure and landscape. As taverns go this is one of the best. And good collection of characters too. :classic:

:wub:

Lovely build. The colour choices and architectural details are awesome, and due to its size it is a really impressive MOC. Well done! The only improvement one could ask for would be an interior, everything else is flawless. :thumbup:

I was excited the other week to hear you were entering and you certainly haven't disappointed! I do love dark red buildings and this one is awesome. The detailing around the windows looks really good and I like the use of the flexi pipe to make the trellis work for the vines. I also really like how dense the flower boxes on the ground floor appear. Great job and I think this will be an extremely hard entry to beat!

Will you license it as a large or small artisan? I kept loosing count on the perimeter studs but I think it is 70x38ish? Bigger than it first appears!

Wow ! 

Excellent entry ! As always with your builds ! It's always a pleasure to look at your creations.

I am seconding Ayrlego, it will be a hard entry to beat... :pir-laugh:

Excellent job !

Thanks! :classic:

15 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Will you license it as a large or small artisan? I kept loosing count on the perimeter studs but I think it is 70x38ish? Bigger than it first appears!

I'm not sure about how the licensing works nowadays? Been away for too long :sad:
The base is 38x68 (equal to about 50x50) and the building itself 28x52 (equal to about 38x38). So what can I license it as....?

Great entry and I am glad I could see an earlier sneak peak! The build is so carefully constructed that I caught myself studying the dark red plates used at the corners (where dark red meets lbg), rather than having the usual bricks everywhere approach. Anyway, glad to have you on our side! :sweet:

5 minutes ago, Gideon said:

So what can I license it as?

I believe it leans more on the large side.

25 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

Great entry and I am glad I could see an earlier sneak peak! The build is so carefully constructed that I caught myself studying the dark red plates used at the corners (where dark red meets lbg), rather than having the usual bricks everywhere approach. Anyway, glad to have you on our side! :sweet:

I believe it leans more on the large side.

I should look into the licensing forms some day then.

On 28/01/2018 at 2:21 AM, Gideon said:

I'm not sure about how the licensing works nowadays? Been away for too long :sad:

Well it's great to have you back! I can look after the paperwork for you if you like?

42 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Well it's great to have you back! I can look after the paperwork for you if you like?

Sure, many thanks if you would fix that! :classic:

11 hours ago, Gideon said:

Sure, many thanks if you would fix that! :classic:

done!

So many things to like here!

Your photography skills make it perfect!

Edited by Maxim I

Wow!  Amazing inn Gideon!  Beautiful quantity of dark red profile bricks and the light grey and brown fit in perfectly.  The lush flowers on the bottom story windowsills, the vine growing in front of the side door, and the palm trees all add their touch.  Great to see another build from you!

An extraordinary MOC. Beautfiul details, perfect execution, amazing presentation. You understand to use the focus of your camera. Just wow!

The flowers at the windows are just so cleverly done. Using the ingots at the edges was a fantastic idea. All the architectural details have been executed flawlessly. Wonderful MOC!

I personally think it does not 100% match Jameston as it has been depicted in the first MOCs, but definitely matches the style of BoBS in general. That is my only criticism, though. The MOC itself is just perfect.

You can hardly go wrong with dark red, but you've taken it so much farther here than just 'good'!  I'll just echo the others - this'll be one hard entry to beat!