Plural

New factory space sets?

I think the skull one is ingenious :-$ , I don't understand the whole "The Skull thing has been beaten to death by Lego" argument, sure we've had skulls, but in a space theme? Not that I can recall, and its sweet! :'-)

Infact, I just built my first ever space moc a few seconds ago, in this style, after seeing these pics :-$ .

Skulls ON!

Batbrick Away! >:-)

Nice pics.

I really like the Star Justice designs. Though they don't appear to be using *that* many new parts for LDD. Mainly I see a few slopes and some more colors.

Well, if the torsos are printed then sure, it'd be good to have. And that new control panel will be great for my own LDD models...

Just couldnt resist making a copy using the bricks currently available, its not that far off..

Picture

http://shop.lego.com/Product/Factory/Produ...ee-ee4f75c28eae

Edited by xenologer

I really like the Star Justice designs. Though they don't appear to be using *that* many new parts for LDD. Mainly I see a few slopes and some more colors.

I'm always surprised with how much can be done with what I originally viewed as that limited Factory palette.

Admiral Giddens and Grand Admiral, what was the process like? Were you given a certain palette you could work from? Did they limit the number of pieces or the techniques you could use? Did you get to use the company jet to fly anywhere you wanted? :-$

I'm always surprised with how much can be done with what I originally viewed as that limited Factory palette.

Admiral Giddens and Grand Admiral, what was the process like? Were you given a certain palette you could work from? Did they limit the number of pieces or the techniques you could use? Did you get to use the company jet to fly anywhere you wanted? :-$

They have a company jet? What colour was it? Was it also made of Lego?

Seriously though, I would also be interested in the process. I don't know if you are allowed to reveal these details Admirals, so just tell me get lost if you aren't, but what was the initial approach that Lego had with these designs? Like, how much creative freedom were you given, piece count wise, design wise? Were the two factions already in place before you started?

To the Bricksignal! >:-)

At first I was wondering what was meant by the skull design on the good guy's torsos, I didn't see it at all, I was looking for a little printed skull, then I realise you meant the whole torso. :-$

These looks nice so far, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest! *y* You'll have to cut back on the great Castle stuff if you want we to buy this though. X-D

~Peace

can't wait to get these in my hands!! the skull looks really cool, wonder if it comes with a trans clear display foot... and there's bound to be some interior, right?

the base looks nice but fairly basic. in any case a great parts pack, and i love that little fighter :-$ i'm missing some sort of platform at the base for that plane, though

What we can see from the pics on lego.com, showing all three subthemes (house, train, space) next to each other, it seems that the going to increase the number of bricks available. That would be great.

I am SO crossing my fingers for that to happen. I really need new parts for my EF MOCs :-D

CloneCommando, the person who designed the set is trying to participate in the conversation. Let's show our true EB spirit and be welcoming and constructive with our comments, okay? Thanks. :-)

Sorry. :-(

Well, hmm...The space justice base seems simplistic...VERY greebled, and looks amazing, but as for being a base, it seems a bit small. The rover-flyer thing looks great. If that would be sold individually I would buy.

The Space Skulls main thing looks a bit over-larged, the face looks like it could be smaller. If it's that big, it might restrict the 'base' behind it, but if size doesn't matter for the inward workings, more power to big skeleton! *skull* I also want to see the skeloton minfigures.

Maybe this will start something called 'White Fantasy' building. :-D

Hmmm... interesting to say the least.

I'm glad LEGO has taken a different approach to space. Space skulls seem interesting. I would, however, like to say that the large skull needs a little refining, IMHO. I'm really liking the small skull, though! *wub*

The Star Justice sets seems nice. Hopefully not too expensive, though. But quaint, small, compact, with a classicy feel. *y*

Way to go! *y*

don't get me wrong, I like these.. but I was hoping to get a big spaceship from Chris.... with a detailed cockpit for several minifigs, a boarding ramp and so on... like his creations... not a bunch of small things or a base...

anyway - it is a big honour to work with TLC and I really appreciate your both' work! Keep up bricking!

:-)

don't get me wrong, I like these.. but I was hoping to get a big spaceship from Chris.... with a detailed cockpit for several minifigs, a boarding ramp and so on... like his creations...

:-)

i think all space fans agree with you here. my guess is we'll get a big space ship later on, as the first drawing sorta suggests.

Wow, lots of replies since yesterday...

I'm not sure how much I can talk about at this point, so my replies will have to remain vague for now, at least until more things are officially released.

We were allowed to request certain pieces to work with. Some pieces we received, others we did not. A lot of that had to do with which pieces were scheduled to be produced this year. LEGO has certain piece runs in certain colors each year. Some of the more complex and expensive to produce pieces simply aren't available to LDD.

Some techniques were limited... and LDD won't do certain things. There were times we had to ask LEGO to check something in LDD that it should be able to do but wouldn't.

Unfortunately we didn't go anywhere. Everything was designed from our own homes using LDD. ;)

what was the timeline for these projects? when did you guys start with the project and how long did it take to get a final product?

They have a company jet? What colour was it? Was it also made of Lego?

Seriously though, I would also be interested in the process. I don't know if you are allowed to reveal these details Admirals, so just tell me get lost if you aren't, but what was the initial approach that Lego had with these designs? Like, how much creative freedom were you given, piece count wise, design wise? Were the two factions already in place before you started?

Yes, the two factions already existed for several years.

PCS: http://pre.classic-space.com/?p=PCS

Chris created PCS several years ago as a "subtheme" for space. Originally he was making very detailed, re-styled versions of some of the Classic Space sets. As he progressed, he began creating some of his own designs.

3vil: (sorry I don't have these organized as neatly as Chris)

http://fleebnork.com/?m=3vil

http://fleebnork.com/?m=3vilbike

http://fleebnork.com/?m=dropskull

http://fleebnork.com/?m=hoverskull

http://fleebnork.com/?m=skullpod

http://fleebnork.com/?m=skullmodule

http://fleebnork.com/?m=azazel

http://fleebnork.com/?m=asmodeus

I created 3vil as a more comical, over-the-top rival to Chris's PCS. So every 3vil vehicle needs to have an oversize skull on it, so it looks extra cool. ;)

The process where LEGO asked us to create sets will be discussed in an upcoming Brickjournal article. :)

Hmmm... interesting to say the least.

I'm glad LEGO has taken a different approach to space. Space skulls seem interesting. I would, however, like to say that the large skull needs a little refining, IMHO. I'm really liking the small skull, though! *wub*

I would have liked to sculpt the large skull more, but bear in mind that I was limited by the LDD parts palette, and there weren't a lot of wedges or curved pieces to work with. LEGO added the 1x1 slopes to the assortment after we were finished with our design process, so the 1x1 slopes you see in our sets were added later on by a LEGO designer. :'-(

don't get me wrong, I like these.. but I was hoping to get a big spaceship from Chris.... with a detailed cockpit for several minifigs, a boarding ramp and so on... like his creations... not a bunch of small things or a base...

We would have liked to do that as well, but LEGO felt it was more marketable to offer a range of vehicles in a set than one single "UCS" model from either of us.

We would have liked to do that as well, but LEGO felt it was more marketable to offer a range of vehicles in a set than one single "UCS" model from either of us.

Perhaps a more unfortunate decision.... A Space set like Caf

LEGO felt it was more marketable to offer a range of vehicles in a set than one single "UCS" model from either of us.

FOOLS! :-P

Seriously though...the more I look at them, the more they're growing on me. Also, knowing you guys were, for the most part, limited to what was already in the Designer program helps me appreciate what was actually accomplished here.

I know personally I've never successfully created any damn thing with that program...just not enough of the pieces I want deino2.gif

Seriously though...the more I look at them, the more they're growing on me. Also, knowing you guys were, for the most part, limited to what was already in the Designer program helps me appreciate what was actually accomplished here.

LDD can be difficult to use sometimes, especially when you're trying to build SNOT. It doesn't like to put groups of pieces together when they're sideways. Occasionally you have to "trick" it into doing what you like, like attaching pieces to a plate, rotating the whole group sideways, then deleting the plate. *wacko*

We're dreaming of it too, so hopefully if our sets sell well enough, it might become possible in the future.

Hopefully our dreams

Always remember, the process goes something like this....

The DREAM, the CONCEPT, the REVISIONS, and the reality....

We're proud of what's in the box, it's good building and lots of brick. The process through LEGO changes things through rules of building and part changes. We dreamed big and tried our best to keep those dreams alive all through the process. The reality is what is in the box and approved and built with stability.

I will have to wait and see the final product before I make a judgement on these. I will agree though that I am tired of the red/black and blue/white themes for factions. In a way it is good these are being made through factory and not real sets, as I probably would have much less interest in a offical LEGO space line in these colors. It is nice to see that fan made figures can be/are being done. That gives me hope that one day I could see my own ideas for a faction come to life.

Thank you guys for posting your thoughts here. I look forward to seeing what you have to say at the unveiling of the final products.

I have a feeling that these will be like dacta sets, but with a better selection of parts included in them.

In contrast to the most of you I really dislike these sets!

It's very nice to see that TLG releases sets which were designed by Lego fans. *y*

But why then not releasing some nice sets?! Since there are so many nice sets on Lego Factory I can't understand why some so ugly sets like these were chosen to be released! *sing*

Hopefully TLG will release some really nice fan designed sets in the future!