Captain's log, December 16th, 617 AE

HMS Ironsides, moored in King's Harbour

Admiral Fletcher has recently sent me a young officer, formerly first of the HMS Redoubtable.

Seemed a decent enough chap. Some of these young officers have a tendency to feeling entitled, thinking that a plum is their birthright, and will scoff at anything less. Back in my day, anything copper-bottomed was a regular god send. Independent command was all one of her Majesty's officers would ever dare dream of, even if it was the lowliest transport afloat. Hopefully young Lieutenant Lavendwood ( @Flavius Gratian ) is nothing of that sort.

His service record appears commendable, but he is very young to have reached 1st Lieutenant, and, being the son of an Earl, one could fear some influence of favouritism.

However, with the service lacking in ships, and more so officers, I shall soon find out!

He carried out the outfitting of Gun Sloop No. 1 expertly, but now is the time to see if he can lead. I have put him in command of the two gunboats, which should be ample chance to prove himself.

Today, I shall be drilling the gun boats in gunnery. Although I expect no miracles, after such a short while, we will see whether the young man has been able to make the men follow him. Time will show if they will respect him too.

38381138084_25de620c9a_c.jpg

Captain Cooke is, in the HMS Ironsides' jolly boat, dropping empty casks as targets for the gunboats. Golden watch in hand and spyglass at the ready, he will carefully gauge the accuracy of the gunners, and the time between shots. Aiming a gunboat's guns is more complicated that those of a regular man of war, as the whole boat must be turned to train the guns.

A quick little story build including raising the shiplimits (to 75) for Corrington. As always, C&C is welcome. I am quite happy with how the blurred out background works, and all lego shots have always fascinated me.

That's a great build! I think you really capured the "movement", so to speak, in the picture! You should definitely be pround of how the background and foreground come together!

I also like the story, naturally, when my own character features so prominetly! :wink: Hopefully we can develope a fun relationship between Cooke and Lawliet! Now I just need to figure out how to make sure Lawliet proves himself

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

one could fear some influence of favouritism

What! That's completely absurd! I resent that statement! :classic:

Really liking the lighting and atmosphere here, Bregir, awesome little scene! :pir-wink:  The light bouncing off the water and the shadow of the oars add a lot to the shot!

Nice one Bregir! I, too, like the full LEGO photos but they rarely look decent in my opinion when studs are visible on the background. Your photo though is a brilliant exception to the rule :wink:

Also a nice idea to practice targeting on barrels (since we aren't yet on that historical period where one can drop nuclear bombs on obsolete battle cruisers while admiring the sunset on an atoll :tongue:).

Nice little story, simple, yet effective build, and brilliant photography. The way the focus is handled really makes the scene, well done. :thumbup:

On 16/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, Flavius Gratian said:

That's a great build! I think you really capured the "movement", so to speak, in the picture! You should definitely be pround of how the background and foreground come together!

I also like the story, naturally, when my own character features so prominetly! :wink: Hopefully we can develope a fun relationship between Cooke and Lawliet! Now I just need to figure out how to make sure Lawliet proves himself

What! That's completely absurd! I resent that statement! :classic:

Thanks - and I agree. Somehow this very simple build turned out really nice once I set up the background and I gutted out the angles.

And yes, I hope we can develop their common story further - it is super nice to finally have some young sea officers to "boss around" IC, and I think we have already created the basis for an interesting relation between the two.

Re: Proving yourself, Cooke values professionalism above everything. Aaand, last MRCA, the one gunboat capture a class 3. So I have high hopes for two! :P (It had NOTHING to do with luck... ;))

On 16/12/2017 at 9:52 PM, Garmadon said:

Really liking the lighting and atmosphere here, Bregir, awesome little scene! :pir-wink:  The light bouncing off the water and the shadow of the oars add a lot to the shot!

Thanks - I never really notice how nicely the light and shadows had come out until you pointed it out. Had just reflected that it "looked nice" :)

22 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice one Bregir! I, too, like the full LEGO photos but they rarely look decent in my opinion when studs are visible on the background. Your photo though is a brilliant exception to the rule :wink:

Also a nice idea to practice targeting on barrels (since we aren't yet on that historical period where one can drop nuclear bombs on obsolete battle cruisers while admiring the sunset on an atoll :tongue:).

Thanks, BD. I always liked full lego shots but I would think any background could do, if it fits with the setting. I am somewhat disappointed with my pictures when I remove the background. Perhaps one should invest in a few large pictures of the sky in different weather? :P

Also, in my opinion, battlecruisers are never obsolete! ;)

22 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Nice little story, simple, yet effective build, and brilliant photography. The way the focus is handled really makes the scene, well done. :thumbup:

Thanks, Drunknok. I would have liked to have focus more pronounced but with the size of her background and the lens I have, this was how it could turn out. And I am happy you like the story. I always try to weave in other players and recent events when suitable :)

This is another great way to raise ship limits. I like the posing, water effect, and the Lego background. I am not sure about that baseball hat though. Might be a bit before the times. 

Nice little scene. Great posing, and nice background. Creative way to do a build for increasing ship limits. I like it! :thumbup:

Nicely done, Bregir. A simple build, but as Captain Aubrey Cooke knows, there is no substitute for well-drilled gunners. I think a SNOT sky would look better, but it's still a nice, clean presentation. 

Nice, the photo and focus are perfect. Better drill those gunners well, looks like we going to need them one way or another...

Edited by Ayrlego

On 18/12/2017 at 1:05 AM, SilentWolf said:

This is another great way to raise ship limits. I like the posing, water effect, and the Lego background. I am not sure about that baseball hat though. Might be a bit before the times. 

Thanks, SW. The hat is the one for the painter, so not really a baseball cap. I actually think it works quite well for a soft cap-like hat with a small shade.

On 18/12/2017 at 12:37 PM, Puvel said:

Great action shot, you really captured the barrel dropping there!

Thanks - accidental brilliance, if anything :)

On 18/12/2017 at 9:22 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Nice little scene. Great posing, and nice background. Creative way to do a build for increasing ship limits. I like it! :thumbup:

Thanks, Captain Wolf. I find the angle of the shot does a lot for the build. Perhaps because it is a more natural angle, compared to the bird's view I normally use?

On 19/12/2017 at 12:21 AM, Captain Genaro said:

Nicely done, Bregir. A simple build, but as Captain Aubrey Cooke knows, there is no substitute for well-drilled gunners. I think a SNOT sky would look better, but it's still a nice, clean presentation. 

Thanks. Genaro. If a ship can get in 3 accurate broadsides in 5 minutes, it can never be beat in a fair fight! ;)

Snot might indeed be better - although that would require a lot more blue bricks! :P

(Also, technically, my current background is SNOT... ;) )

On 19/12/2017 at 1:16 AM, Ayrlego said:

Nice, the photo and focus are perfect. Better drill those gunners well, looks like we going to need them one way or another...

Thanks - for christmas I have put on my wishlist a macro lens, so that I can use this effect more effectively. And yeah, it seems so. Still wonder the sea rats haven't replied...

8 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

I like the use of those modern hat on the pirates figs... I will try this as soon as possible.

the background is well thought

Thanks, Thaum. My new building space doesn't have a good place for photos, so I have to figure out something for the background! :P