Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

7 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I expected a large section of Hogwarts (perhaps the rest) at the same scale as the Great Hall and Whomping Willow sets, with lots of minifigs. Given the rumored price, that is not too much to ask. 

So you expected a large playset type thing like Assault on Hoth? Well, that sure went well for LEGO.

I don't really understand how the people here think sometimes. Look at it from a business standpoint; LEGO releases The Great Hall and The Whooping Willow set. The 100 buck flagship is gonna be under a lot of Christmas trees this year. The budget option or "birthdays expansion" is gonna sell out greatly too. Now all the kids/people who bought either or both would gladly get another part of the castle, maybe they'll release the clocktower or Dumbledore's office. So a few months pass and people check up on new Harry Potter sets, and low and behold: the only option is a 500 bucks playset. Going by your logic it would include 4-5 Great Hall sized builds. There would barely be anything more to add to Hogwarts after that.

Again, your disappointment is your own fault.

I am highly disappointed by this microscale news. I’ll reserve total judgment until I see it though. It might still be buyable, although if it doesn’t come with any actual minifigures I think I’ll pass. But I’m sure there will be more system scale Hogwarts sets in future waves, plus I should be grateful Harry Potter is back in the first place! so I suppose I can’t be too harsh on Lego.

2 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

So you expected a large playset type thing like Assault on Hoth? Well, that sure went well for LEGO.

I don't really understand how the people here think sometimes. Look at it from a business standpoint; LEGO releases The Great Hall and The Whooping Willow set. The 100 buck flagship is gonna be under a lot of Christmas trees this year. The budget option or "birthdays expansion" is gonna sell out greatly too. Now all the kids/people who bought either or both would gladly get another part of the castle, maybe they'll release the clocktower or Dumbledore's office. So a few months pass and people check up on new Harry Potter sets, and low and behold: the only option is a 500 bucks playset. Going by your logic it would include 4-5 Great Hall sized builds. There would barely be anything more to add to Hogwarts after that.

Again, your disappointment is your own fault.

Wrong. It would be entirely different from the Echo Base set. Hogwarts Castle would be much more interesting than an ice cave and the figures would also be much better. You can’t even compare the two. Work Village did fine. Both Death Stars did fine. One big play set failed. One. And there can always be more to add. Hogwarts is massive. There are plenty of other sets they could make and attach to the rest. Plenty. So no, my disappointment is completely warranted. As are most people’s.

26 minutes ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

Why did they use the old standart faces "SNIP" and not specific faces like in the factory-set "SNAP"?

Well, the only faces we see in the bag are generic Hogwarts students. It's not like the S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents had much character either;2M47RJe

9 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I am highly disappointed by this microscale news. I’ll reserve total judgment until I see it though. It might still be buyable, although if it doesn’t come with any actual minifigures I think I’ll pass. But I’m sure there will be more system scale Hogwarts sets in future waves, plus I should be grateful Harry Potter is back in the first place! so I suppose I can’t be too harsh on Lego.

Wrong. It would be entirely different from the Echo Base set. Hogwarts Castle would be much more interesting than an ice cave and the figures would also be much better. You can’t even compare the two. Work Village did fine. Both Death Stars did fine. One big play set failed. One. And there can always be more to add. Hogwarts is massive. There are plenty of other sets they could make and attach to the rest. Plenty. So no, my disappointment is completely warranted. As are most people’s.

Alright, maybe the Hoth comparison was unfair, but there are still only so many ways you can split Hogwarts

Edited by Alegrispa

I agree with what’s been said in most posts for and against. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed hearing the micro scale news for Hogwarts. But it makes sense for it to be this scale instead. I think the precedent of the quality of the Disney castle was what some people  had in mind. I’m reserving my judgment until we see pics of the full set wether or not I purchase also pending the price tag (Australia always is highly marked up, so I might end up saving money haha) It might be one which appeals only to the big Potter fans.  In saying that makes me happy that this means we will hopefully be getting the high quality system sets continuing as add ons hopefully over the next few years to complete the Hogwarts sets. Now that this is known, I’m hoping for a nicely detailed minifig upgrade of Diagon Alley in the future sets. Also Still excitedly waiting on the CMF to be revealed, hopefully they don’t disappoint. 

Edited by AusMinifig
Typo

One problem with Hogwarts being in micro scale is that there is no place to display the minifigs from the new series. Usually a large D2C set release alongside a minifigure series serves as a display diorama for the figures (see Disney Castle,Simpsons, Ninjago City, and Joker’s Mansion). The is no set to display the upcoming HP minifig series.

Just now, Chiaroscuro said:

One problem with Hogwarts being in micro scale is that there is no place to display the minifigs from the new series. Usually a large D2C set release alongside a minifigure series serves as a display diorama for the figures (see Disney Castle,Simpsons, Ninjago City, and Joker’s Mansion). The is no set to display the upcoming HP minifig series.

The Great Hall won't be substantially different in size to the Simpon's House and work well enough as a background to a Minifig display. 

I personally loved the Helicarrier, so a Hogwarts in that fashion is exciting for me.  I big plus of the Helicarrier though was the brick built display stand for the regular size minifigures that came with it, so hopefully this will have something like that too.  But I'm excited about the possibility of getting a full, but micro Hogwarts.  I think it would look great on display with all the regular minifigs and the CMF ones displayed around it.

Edited by aukevin

58 minutes ago, Brick Wizard001 said:

I agree! Also, I like how people are already boy cutting the set without even seeing the it first. 

Hm..perhaps because people don't want to drop $500 on a mini version of Hogwarts. Just a guess.

13 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

The Great Hall won't be substantially different in size to the Simpon's House and work well enough as a background to a Minifig display. 

That set already have minifigs of its own, and won’t fit a whole minifig line in a nice way.

I like the idea of D2C Hogwarts being microscale.

1. I won't want to buy it (I wouldn't buy system scale Hogwarts either, but I won't be sad)

2. It's better for a 400$ set to be a really mature and challenging set

3. How the gell would they do a good 400$ Hogwarts set? I want the whole Hogwarts, and whole would cost like 40000$. It's better to get whole Hogwarts than 1/100 of it.

Why are people complaining?

We get a system scale D2C - ugh, so many play features, it's for old Lego dudes, not for children, why you did this Lego!?

We get a microscale D2C - ugh, no play features, where is space for minifigures, you can't do anything with it, why you did this Lego!?

A micro-scale Hogwarts makes sense.

For the past couple of months, I've been trying to figure out what the D2C Hogwarts set would be like: 

-With the Great Hall and Womping Willow, we've already got some big pieces of the castle.  So would the D2C set contain other sections of the castle, so that you could combine multiple sets together?  In that case, it would seem pretty weird to sell a big D2C Hogwarts set that was not only incomplete, but missing some of the most iconic sections of the castle. 

-But what about making it so that the D2C set contained the entirety of the castle?  Then you'd have duplication between the smaller sets (Great Hall, Willow) and the big D2C set.  And in trying to cram the whole castle into one set, you'd end up with each individual section of it being less detailed.  There's no way they'd be able to replicate all of the castle in one big set, yet have the great hall portion of it be as detailed as the stand alone version of that.

-So unless the D2C set were $1000+, there's no way that TLG would be able to release a set that wasn't compromised in one way or another.

Enter the possibility of a micro-scale D2C Hogwarts set.  You would get a highly detailed, and complete version of the castle, without it costing a fortune.  Plus you wouldn't have to worry about releasing a giant set that is incomplete, or that has duplicate pieces of stand-alone sets.

If things go to plan, TLG can keep releasing sets (Chamber of Secrets, Clock Tower, etc etc) in the scale of the Great Hall and Womping Willow.  This can go on for however long they want, and the Hogwarts castle will keep expanding and expanding.

I don't see how this is anything but a win-win situation.  Was I surprised by this news this morning?  Yes!  Was I disappointed even for a second?  Yes!  But when I stopped to think about it, a micro-scale version of Hogwarts makes sense.  Boohoo, it comes with nano-figs instead of minifigs!  Come on people, you can get minifigs in the other sets (Oh, and there's even a whole line of CMFs)!

Let's wait until we get official pictures of the set before we start making final judgment.

Ok so here’s a thought and it’s kind of my last hope. All we’ve seen are the nanofigures. We know it comes with them. But I’ve built both of the other system scale Hogwarts sets on LDD by looking at the pictures put on nanofigures to test it out. They look fantastic at that scale! They would look amazing displayed all over the castle while the castle is on display. So what I’m hoping is that the D2C is actually what it was originally rumored to be: to scale with the other sets, connects to the other sets, includes lots of minifigures, but also includes these nanofigures for the purpose of displaying the castle with more scale accurate figures. I think that would look great and I’m really hoping it’s true. 

https://youtu.be/dPl-a2wgjwA

https://youtu.be/o-E5hlIVdTU

Better look at 75953 and 75954.

Mirrors in Great Halls are actually: Harry with parents, Dumbledore with socks, Ron master of Quidditch and Quirrel with Philosopher's Stone.

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Ok so here’s a thought and it’s kind of my last hope. All we’ve seen are the nanofigures. We know it comes with them. But I’ve built both of the other system scale Hogwarts sets on LDD by looking at the pictures put on nanofigures to test it out. They look fantastic at that scale! They would look amazing displayed all over the castle while the castle is on display. So what I’m hoping is that the D2C is actually what it was originally rumored to be: to scale with the other sets, connects to the other sets, includes lots of minifigures, but also includes these nanofigures for the purpose of displaying the castle with more scale accurate figures. I think that would look great and I’m really hoping it’s true. 

It's not.

2 hours ago, ZO6 said:

For the past couple of months, I've been trying to figure out what the D2C Hogwarts set would be like: 

-With the Great Hall and Womping Willow, we've already got some big pieces of the castle.  So would the D2C set contain other sections of the castle, so that you could combine multiple sets together?  In that case, it would seem pretty weird to sell a big D2C Hogwarts set that was not only incomplete, but missing some of the most iconic sections of the castle. 

This is actually what I was expecting 

I thought the D2C would be a huge portion of he castle built like the Ninjago City D2C, and featuring the Grand Starcase 

About the set feeling incomplete, I get what you mean but the "front" of it could have been the Clock Tower Courtyard. So it would work as a set on his own

Image result for hogwarts clock tower courtyard

4 hours ago, dimaks13 said:

two other Ravenclaw students

Well, we got the Ravenclaw torso we were asking for :laugh:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

By the way, is this the first microscale D2C set ever?

Wow, there sure are a lot of Captain Hindsights here today. Funny how none of them shared their "wisdom" before the latest news... :laugh:

A bit disappointed by the news. I was hoping for some nice sections of Hogwarts with detailed interiors, interesting building techniques and of course a nice selection of minifigures (including some exclusive ones). 

The microscale set will probably look great though, and chances are I will still get it. Just hope the size (mostly in terms of depth) is reasonable so it is possible to display it on a wide shelf. Probably no minifigs, no interiors. Some clever techniques will probably be there but microscale is it's own thing so less interesting for me personally.

On the bright side, I think the regular sets looks great, with some great new minifigures. Add the CMF figures and the TRU promotion, and you'll have a respectable collection of minifigures from the world of Harry Potter.

Having a micro-scale Hogwarts is a good thing and a bad thing!

PROS

- More Hogwarts pieces to come at an affordable price to connect with the Great Hall and Whomping Willow

- Possibly Clock Tower, Boat House, Greenhouses, Dumbledore's Office, Chamber of Secrets

- Will probably be a nice display piece.

- Lego is already going all out with the other sets and minifig series

CONS

- I had my hopes up for a minifig-scale one!

- Not sure how well it will sell. I feel that the main draw to Hogwarts is all of the interesting classrooms and places to put your characters in, so with this set not really having that (it does, but not in the way we know!) not sure how it will go with consumers

I can see it looking something like the Noble Collection's Hogwarts model

https://www.noblecollection.com/Item--i-STS-HP-7074

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

We get a system scale D2C - ugh, so many play features, it's for old Lego dudes, not for children, why you did this Lego!?

We get a microscale D2C - ugh, no play features, where is space for minifigures, you can't do anything with it, why you did this Lego!?

This guy gets it.

1 hour ago, ZO6 said:

-But what about making it so that the D2C set contained the entirety of the castle?  Then you'd have duplication between the smaller sets (Great Hall, Willow) and the big D2C set.  And in trying to cram the whole castle into one set, you'd end up with each individual section of it being less detailed.  There's no way they'd be able to replicate all of the castle in one big set, yet have the great hall portion of it be as detailed as the stand alone version of that.

-So unless the D2C set were $1000+, there's no way that TLG would be able to release a set that wasn't compromised in one way or another.

Enter the possibility of a micro-scale D2C Hogwarts set.  You would get a highly detailed, and complete version of the castle, without it costing a fortune.  Plus you wouldn't have to worry about releasing a giant set that is incomplete, or that has duplicate pieces of stand-alone sets.

If things go to plan, TLG can keep releasing sets (Chamber of Secrets, Clock Tower, etc etc) in the scale of the Great Hall and Womping Willow.  This can go on for however long they want, and the Hogwarts castle will keep expanding and expanding.

I don't see how this is anything but a win-win situation.  Was I surprised by this news this morning?  Yes!  Was I disappointed even for a second?  Yes!  But when I stopped to think about it, a micro-scale version of Hogwarts makes sense.  Boohoo, it comes with nano-figs instead of minifigs!  Come on people, you can get minifigs in the other sets (Oh, and there's even a whole line of CMFs)!

Let's wait until we get official pictures of the set before we start making final judgment.

You explained it way better than me.

u have to accept, that there is a big base of people rather wanting a complete Hogwarts in microscale, instead of like 4-6 great hall-like rooms, which are decent, but not even Modular-standard quality.

For the rumored price, there's even potential for a nice base of mountain terrain, bit of forrest, bridges etc.

I wouldn't buy such a set, but probably more people will rather have such a beautiful piece on their table, instead of what the ~50 people here want.

Well, there's a lot of money saved. I can't say I expected anything near a complete minifig-scale Hogwarts for that price, but as long as it doesn't include any desirable minifigures to display alongside it, I'm fine with it being the scale it is.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Mirrors in Great Halls are actually: Harry with parents, Dumbledore with socks, Ron master of Quidditch and Quirrel with Philosopher's Stone.

Dumbledore with socks is a nice reference to the book, but everyone who read the books knows that that's probably not really what he saw.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

By the way, is this the microscale D2C set ever?

If you’re asking if it’s the first microscale D2C, nope, that was the Helicarrier. 

1 hour ago, LegoFjotten said:

Wow, there sure are a lot of Captain Hindsights here today. Funny how none of them shared their "wisdom" before the latest news... :laugh:

A bit disappointed by the news. I was hoping for some nice sections of Hogwarts with detailed interiors, interesting building techniques and of course a nice selection of minifigures (including some exclusive ones). 

The microscale set will probably look great though, and chances are I will still get it. Just hope the size (mostly in terms of depth) is reasonable so it is possible to display it on a wide shelf. Probably no minifigs, no interiors. Some clever techniques will probably be there but microscale is it's own thing so less interesting for me personally.

On the bright side, I think the regular sets looks great, with some great new minifigures. Add the CMF figures and the TRU promotion, and you'll have a respectable collection of minifigures from the world of Harry Potter.

I think we could get minifigures for display like the Helicarrier and we could get interiors like that set as well. 

I too, was disappointed with the news of a microscale Hogwarts- 

HOWEVER

I have a feeling we are underestimating the playability of this new set. The amount of secondary micro fig characters in the leaked picture leads me to believe we will be able to place them inside the castle. We haven't even seen the Harry/Ron/Hermione/Voldemort/Dumbledore micro figs yet, so this means there are a surprising amount of figures. I think it's possible that parts of the micro castle (not all) will be dollhouse style, and we'll be able to see into micro common rooms/ great hall/ dungeons/ classrooms/ chamber of secrets. Other parts/towers/spires will be closed in I think, but It just doesn't make sense to make so many micro fig students from each house, if we can't place them inside the houses. All these figures are just supposed to stand on a bridge or courtyards? 

If my theory is right^ I think more Harry Potter fans would be willing to buy it for that price. I'm probably wrong because I'm not super familiar with micro sets, but this is my best case scenario and seems to make sense of the figures.

2 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

If you’re asking if it’s the first microscale D2C, nope, that was the Helicarrier.

Oh right... how could I forget about the Heli? Thanks :classic: