Jim

[TC12] Technic Wacky Wheels Contest - Information Topic

I am curious what the prizes will be for this contest, can the winners except a brand new set? or a 2017 set?  Either would be an awesome prize!

Just now, aminnich said:

I am curious what the prizes will be for this contest, can the winners except a brand new set? or a 2017 set?  Either would be an awesome prize!

I'm assuming that they would be one or more of the 2H 2017 technic sets, but only @Jim knows for sure...

Is it permissible to use a large rubber band as a tire around a large diameter wheel ?
I have an idea to build a wacky wheeled tank.

11 hours ago, Jim said:

Your prayers have been answered. Good luck with going on today :laugh:

Maybe we need a place to track the [TC12] topics.  Any suggestions?

Collect them in the entry topic? Make a separate locked topic? Collect them in the 1st or 2nd post of this topic?

Maybe a sub-topic @Jim that you can put directly under this one.:wink:

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Is it permissible to use a large rubber band as a tire around a large diameter wheel ?

Yes, it is. It is even encouraged to make your own unique wacky wheels! The wackier, the better :wink:

Anything can count as a wheel, as long as the vehicle can "drive". So yeah!!

In short: what Milan said :laugh: 

25 minutes ago, Jim said:

Anything can count as a wheel, as long as the vehicle can "drive". So yeah!!

In short: what Milan said :laugh: 

Thanks, my wheels will really wack the ground !

Apologies if this has already been answered, but does the wacky function need to be independently controlled, or can it be linked to the drive and/or steering mechanism so it activates when the vehicle moves?

24 minutes ago, heyitsdisty said:

...or can it be linked to the drive and/or steering mechanism so it activates when the vehicle moves?

I think so (and it should be), because it should still qualify as a separate function, even if it's connected.

Don't the rule say that it should be a separate function? That is, independent from the other functions (drive and steering) 

I might be wrong, please correct me of that is the case @Milan

Edited by aminnich

6 hours ago, heyitsdisty said:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but does the wacky function need to be independently controlled, or can it be linked to the drive and/or steering mechanism so it activates when the vehicle moves?

Actually, I don't really mind if it's independent or not. As long as your vehicle can do something extra, besides steering and driving.

5 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I think so (and it should be), because it should still qualify as a separate function, even if it's connected.

Exactly.

Can you have more than one extra wacky function ?

I have 2 linked to drive & steering and have another idea for an independent driven function.

You can have a million wacky functions :wink: 

Is there any limit on the amount of non-Technic elements (ie traditional System bricks) we are allowed to use? (I'm assuming that's what the 'Model Team style building is allowed' rule is referring to?)

1 hour ago, heyitsdisty said:

Is there any limit on the amount of non-Technic elements (ie traditional System bricks) we are allowed to use?

No, you can use as much as you want, as long as you follow the rules.

Jim, Milan.

Re Video:
I will be using a compact hand held camera to video.
Is it OK to make two short videos to record the various functions and another to show it it motion & steering.
I want to demonstrate the various functions in close to show them working.

Its proving difficult to control vehicle and film at the same time & my wife is not a good lego driver !

I don't know how to combine the two videos into one.

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Is it OK to make two short videos to record the various functions and another to show it it motion & steering.

Unfortunately, we can accept only one video in your Entry topic.

Let me send you a PM, maybe we can solve this that way.

Did i understand it correct that you can post 3 pictures, that are made out of 4 pictures? In the size witch are stated in the rules of the contest?

Just now, JDL1967 said:

Did i understand it correct that you can post 3 pictures, that are made out of 4 pictures? In the size witch are stated in the rules of the contest?

That is indeed allowed. But please be aware that it's sometimes better to post one or two bigger main images than 12 smaller ones (3x4).

I'd recommend using at least one main big image.

Re Video:

Does the video have only to appear in the entry topic or is it allowed in the discussion topic prior to summiting the entry topic ?

48 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Does the video have only to appear in the entry topic or is it allowed in the discussion topic prior to summiting the entry topic ?

You can have only one, final video in your Entry topic (voters will judge based on that video).

You can have as much videos as you want in the Discussion topic, including your final video. People sometimes want to show problems or some concept in Discussion topic in the form of the videos, so they post few videos in that topic.

Hey, it's me again with another question! (Sorry...)

I'd like to post a WIP of the entry I'm working on to request advice, and then post the finished creation it its own entry topic later. Is it frowned upon to post a WIP topic and a separate entry topic? Do I have to keep WIP pics and pics of the finished build in the same topic?

You should have one topic about your TC12 submission. It will be a WIP type of thread, most of the time people will give advice on your build. Then once you have finished you creation, you post it into the entry thread. No need for a second thread committed to your entry. 

I hope that answers your question :) 

10 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

What if the members who participated got a wacky wheels tag? I think it would be cool, like in TC10

But what would it be?