Sariel

Another YouTuber stealing your Technic videos

13 minutes ago, Sjoemie himself said:

If not, the admin(s) should remove the picture or replace it with another image of their own..

Already done :wink: We don't want to get in trouble with The Splat Group :sweet:

16 minutes ago, Jim said:

:wink: We don't want to get in trouble with The Splat Group :sweet:

Just maybe The Splat Group shouldn't post pictures on a public platform 

but what do I know, I don't even work here....

5 minutes ago, Sjoemie himself said:

Nice to see you took the high road @Jim , probably best wat to go regarding integrity and stuff like that :grin:

Yup. You have to be very careful these days, even when you spend endless hours setting up contests, sending prizes, using your own money for the community....without getting anything in return. Admittedly, being bashed for something mundane is rewarding enough though :thumbup:

On a sidenote; I'm looking forward to seeing Splat's new logo, since he will surely do what's right too!

40 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yup. You have to be very careful these days, even when you spend endless hours setting up contests, sending prizes, using your own money for the community....without getting anything in return. Admittedly, being bashed for something mundane is rewarding enough though :thumbup:

:cry_sad: People these days... Tut tut.

41 minutes ago, Jim said:

On a sidenote; I'm looking forward to seeing Splat's new logo, since he will surely do what's right too!

Oh I'm sure! :sarcasm:

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Admittedly, being bashed for something mundane is rewarding enough though :thumbup:

Aah yes, there are rewards like this in every hobby and/or community (trust me, I know :grin:).

Seems like a good time to go back to school and become an IP lawyer.  :classic:

Now that YouTube has changed the rules for monetization, is it still worthwhile to steal videos? 

18 hours ago, Splat said:

@Aventador2004 - Do you think that ignorance is a valid excuse?

Think about it this way:
If you want to use an image, did you take that photo and/or create that image yourself?
If the answer is no, then you COPIED it from somewhere else.
If you do not have permission from the copyright owner, or your use does not fit into the category of the 'fair use' doctrine, then you are not allowed to use that content.

The same applies to literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture.

@Jim - Is your comment (quoted above) an admission of guilt?
As the copyright owner, I also retain the exclusive right to produce derivative works based on my original, copyrighted image.
Given your position on this forum, you should know better, and your blatant disregard for my legal rights as the copyright owner and your continued use of this image and derivatives thereof is very concerning.

I send a MAIL to LEGO Group, because @Splat will own the Copyright for this LEGO PART !!

I think he will hear in a few weeks from the australian justice. It seems like an 100.000 - 500.000 $ process against him, when he and his " Splat Design Company have no license from The LEGO Group to use there parts under his own Copyright !!

Edit: on the Motor I can read :

(Copyright) 2012 LEGO / LEGO (R) (rights reserved)

Pictures of the Eifelturm in Paris are prohibed to publish

Edited by Wolf_Zipp

36 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Here ya go @Jim

Quick picture I snapped for ya. :wink:

Thanks mate! But last night we already stopped the production facility to replace the artwork with non-copyrighted versions. 

I do have a question about quoting images though. Is quoting a copyrighted image allowed? I want to make sure, since we might need to revise some of the EB guidelines.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Thanks mate! But last night we already stopped the production facility to replace the artwork with non-copyrighted versions. 

:laugh: No problem. Any time.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I do have a question about quoting images though. Is quoting a copyrighted image allowed? I want to make sure, since we might need to revise some of the EB guidelines.

Well I for one always remove the quoted picture(s) and replace it with a "*snip*". 

Ahh of course, the not-quoting-images-rule already negates the copyright issue. Makes sense :thumbup: 

I found this from google, its about copyright images.  it states you don't need to filed any paperwork to make it copyrighted and you may need permission from the artist. Then again, it only applies to America. 

https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

Edited by sirslayer
extra comment

12 hours ago, Jim said:

What I am wondering, is why @Splat is getting all worked up over a simple picture (...).

I  think he is getting worked up because instead of taking him seriously you seem to be making light of the situation. While I think you know that in essence he is correct.

Personally I  would have cut the staff of EB  some slack for the reasons you mentioned, which are obvious for anyone who stops to think about them.

This part I would worry and it can happen!!!    Fair use may be an exception allowing you to use copyrighted images, but chances are you’ll be in for a discussion or possibly find your site taken down by your host if the copyright holder disagrees

What the flying megabluck is happening here guys? Tell me it's only some wird Jim Carrey joke.

11 hours ago, sirslayer said:

This part I would worry and it can happen!!!    Fair use may be an exception allowing you to use copyrighted images, but chances are you’ll be in for a discussion or possibly find your site taken down by your host if the copyright holder disagrees

The question is, who´s site will be taken down ??

The site of @Splat, who use copyrighted Images from Lego on his site, and splatted with poison here on EB ??

In the discription of his (slfroden) Video you can read :

"LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this Video."

It seems he is not autorized from LEGO to use the Minifig for his own Company marketing

Edited by Wolf_Zipp

Personally, I think the admin's of the this site have the right as long is to the best interest to maintain and pay for their time for hosting a very good AFOL site and its classic to see members act like babies..For the best of our interest is to allow the admins to use the resources ( like a Hollywood agent)  and promote with freedom , like the American way!!!   (you hear "The Halls of Montezuma" in the background)

Edited by sirslayer
humor

Fair use varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In countries without strong IP laws or not signed onto international IP agreements, any use would be "fair use".  You could move your hosting server to one of those countries.   :classic:

Splat should issue cease and desist letters to show he is serious about protecting his IP when his work is used without his permission.  Otherwise, the lack of effort protecting his IP could be used against him if he goes to court in the future against someone violating his IP.  Wasn't it Bayer who lost the ownership of the trade name Aspirin through common language use or something like that?

On 10-2-2018 at 11:18 PM, Kelkschiz said:

I  think he is getting worked up because instead of taking him seriously you seem to be making light of the situation. While I think you know that in essence he is correct.

In essence I think one is allowed to protect his IP, of course. Especially when you have created a unique MOC, building instructions, etc. But we are talking about a generic picture of a pullback motor, which has been released by TLG and not even by TSG. Therefore I find the tone in his first post rather aggressive and over the top. He could have played it more lightly and we would have had a laugh about it. I would even have credited Splat for the magnificent image and I would probably have added a link to his Youtube channel or something. Because that's how I roll. But that's not how keyboard warriors roll. They fire up their engines and go on a rampage, while sending me and Milan a PM would have been the most logical course of action.

However, this is not even the worst part. The worst part is, that he is claiming to have all sorts of rights, but in the meantime ignoring one of the most important copyright protections TLG has, the 2x4 brick and the Minifig (Hispabrick had to change their logo because they used a minifig head, just sayin). So he is bashing me for using a picture on a fan site, in a contest for fans, which will only cost me time and money, while at the same time ignoring a major rule enforced by the company who brought you the pullback motor to begin with. This just doesn't add up.

And to be clear; I pay for building instructions and I have never sent them to anyone else. I have paid for all my eBooks and I pay montly for my TV series. I even pay for icons and graphical assets, to be used in my websites are apps. So yeah, I play by the rules. But sometimes I do grab an image from the internet....yes I do that! Do I make money out of it? Most definitely not. Do I use them to promote my business? Most definely not. I don't even have Ads activated on my Youtube channel, while I have over half a million views. You know why I haven't activated them? Because I get sets from TLG to do reviews and for me it doesn't feel right to make money of something I got for free and I don't want to bother fans with Ads. Because that's how I roll.

Half of the world is at war, the other half dies of cancer, so instead of focussing on mundane issues I like to focus on the positive things in life. So yeah, I am making light of the situation :sweet: :thumbup:

Yup, all of this rampage because of a picture about a common piece. A picture anyone with a half-decent camera can make in a matter of minutes...

Really guys, all of this is putting me of. The sharing part of this hobby is getting lost by "professionalism" and making money. The best builders stop sharing their models to make profit or to work for the Chinese knockoff companies. Now, a fight over a goddanm piece. Where are we heading? Sorry for the rant and the off.

32 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Yup, all of this rampage because of a picture about a common piece. A picture anyone with a half-decent camera can make in a matter of minutes...

Really guys, all of this is putting me of. The sharing part of this hobby is getting lost by "professionalism" and making money. The best builders stop sharing their models to make profit or to work for the Chinese knockoff companies. Now, a fight over a goddanm piece. Where are we heading? Sorry for the rant and the off.

:thumbup: and :thumbup:

Well... I did not give permission but I guess the use is okay...
Still, weird to accidentally stumble upon my own work :tongue:

edit: They did link to the original video in the description.

Edited by shadow_elenter