Sariel

Another YouTuber stealing your Technic videos

I found this channel, LEGO Geeks Hub, which has things like Top # C-Models" from set XXX. A lot of builders' MOCs and photos are in these videos. However credit to the builder and links are given. Some people might like this for publicity, others may not. I found one of my models but I have never been contacted first. Just thought I should share.   

30 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

However credit to the builder and links are given.

I saw this channel too. I think it's fine; if no video content is used and credit is given there is no problem. The MOC pictures are publicly posted to the internet; I guess you could think of those videos similarly to a The Lego Car Blog post (though they hold a lot less weight in terms of publicity).

On 1/13/2018 at 11:06 AM, kbalage said:

Yep, since my content is not there I cannot report it to Facebook. I also commented on one of the shared videos asking them about this practice, my comment was deleted without an answer soon after... 

So it didn't take long - one of my videos was shared by oldlego.com on the FB page. I messaged them asking to take it down and told the guy that re-uploading YouTube videos with a simple text credit is not a good business behavior. The answer was not surprising and reflects perfectly the attitude:
"obviously I will do it with extreme pleasure, if you do not understand the advantage it is not my fault. Goodbye"
So he even thinks that he does a favor with this... amazing. He blocked my immediately and took the video down so there's not much I can do :/ I was naive to think that communication could solve anything, I should have filed the official copyright report instead.

I just realised today that a screenshot from my 42077 review video is used to advertise the Lepin clone of this set :( It is very easy to identify it as I accidentally built the center lights upside down and they used this image for the preorder ads and it is used on most aliexpress ads as well... I assume there's nothing I can do with it, but it's really frustrating to see my work reused to advertise fake products :(

21 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I just realised today that a screenshot from my 42077 review video is used to advertise the Lepin clone of this set :( It is very easy to identify it as I accidentally built the center lights upside down and they used this image for the preorder ads and it is used on most aliexpress ads as well... I assume there's nothing I can do with it, but it's really frustrating to see my work reused to advertise fake products :(

My Porsche pics are used in a Facebook ad. And you know what?! I don't give a crap. I have more important things in life than to get frustrated about it. Focus on the good things and don't waste your energy of these kind of futilities :sweet: :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Jim said:

My Porsche pics are used in a Facebook ad. And you know what?! I don't give a crap. I have more important things in life than to get frustrated about it. Focus on the good things and don't waste your energy of these kind of futilities :sweet: :thumbup:

Valid point :classic: It didn't last long actually, I guess everyone has a "first time" for such things as well :laugh: 

:laugh:

Or course, it's a different matter when you are actually making a living out of something and/or it is costing you money. If not...why bother.

I don't think any of us are immune to having our images/videos stolen.

As an example, I was taking a look at the Eurobricks Frontpage News, and suddenly realised that image of the pullback motor that @Milan used to promote the Voting for Technic Pullback Contest! topic was my original image that I took back in 2012, and the picture has been cropped to remove my original watermark from the bottom-right-hand corner.

Digging a little deeper, it looks like @Jim also used the same cropped image in the [TC13] Technic Pullback Contest general discussion topic without permission.

The original image is located on my Brickshelf gallery at one of these addresses:

1. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5672931
  2. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5816741
  3. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5816779

In the footer of the Brickshelf pages it states:

All Gallery contents are copyright of their owners.

That means that, while I have uploaded the content (images) to Brickshelf, I still retain the copyright to this content, and it cannot be copied without my permission.

I'm not saying that @Milan and @Jim are the only ones to have copied my images of the pullback motor without my permission, and a quick Google image search shows that it has been copied by a number of other websites too, all without my permission.  I just find it sad that our Eurobricks Technic Admin (@Jim) and Eurobricks Technic Moderator (@Milan) are also contributing to the issue of improper use of copyrighted material.

Actually, it was just a placeholder, but I forgot to make a proper promo image.

Dang, even Jim gets grilled..  I didn't even know using someone images of their Lego sets can be a bad issue.. I would of though if someone is using my image is just a fan.  i guess claiming someone work is a big issue that happens a lot?? I didn't think having a Lego's image of your work could be protected by the law....   At least my images are from home..  Hey we all are humans and no one is perfect.. i know i'm not perfect... but I do like Lego's !!!!   

Edited by sirslayer

23 minutes ago, Splat said:

I don't think any of us are immune to having our images/videos stolen.

As an example, I was taking a look at the Eurobricks Frontpage News, and suddenly realised that image of the pullback motor that @Milan used to promote the Voting for Technic Pullback Contest! topic was my original image that I took back in 2012, and the picture has been cropped to remove my original watermark from the bottom-right-hand corner.

Digging a little deeper, it looks like @Jim also used the same cropped image in the [TC13] Technic Pullback Contest general discussion topic without permission.

The original image is located on my Brickshelf gallery at one of these addresses:

1. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5672931
  2. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5816741
  3. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5816779

In the footer of the Brickshelf pages it states:

That means that, while I have uploaded the content (images) to Brickshelf, I still retain the copyright to this content, and it cannot be copied without my permission.

I'm not saying that @Milan and @Jim are the only ones to have copied my images of the pullback motor without my permission, and a quick Google image search shows that it has been copied by a number of other websites too, all without my permission.  I just find it sad that our Eurobricks Technic Admin (@Jim) and Eurobricks Technic Moderator (@Milan) are also contributing to the issue of improper use of copyrighted material.

Personally I'd be honoured if EB staff used a picture I took. :laugh: Or anyone else for that matter. But if someone started making posters of my MOCs and was selling them, Or claimed my MOCs as their own, that would be a problem.

2 hours ago, Splat said:

I just find it sad that our Eurobricks Technic Admin (@Jim) and Eurobricks Technic Moderator (@Milan) are also contributing to the issue of improper use of copyrighted material.

Ouch splat! do you think the mods knew?

3 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Personally I'd be honoured if EB staff used a picture I took. :laugh: Or anyone else for that matter. But if someone started making posters of my MOCs and was selling them, Or claimed my MOCs as their own, that would be a problem.

Unless you were getting the profits of those posters...:laugh:

13 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Unless you were getting the profits of those posters...:laugh:

That was an unsaid understanding, but yes. :grin:

It's probably better to come clean, since we have been busted anyway. @Milan and I have been quite busy selling copyrighted merchandise over the past couple of weeks. We figured we could get away with it, but apparently what goes around comes around :tongue:

Edit: image removed

8 minutes ago, Jim said:

It's probably better to come clean, since we have been busted anyway. @Milan and I have been quite busy selling copyrighted merchandise over the past couple of weeks. We figured we could get away with it, but apparently a lie has no legs :tongue:

*snip*

:iamded_lol::thumbup:  Oh wow, nice one Jim! 

I think I'm out of my Vulcan mind. :grin:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

It's probably better to come clean, since we have been busted anyway. @Milan have been quite busy selling copyrighted merchandise over the past couple of weeks. We figured we could get away with it, but apparently a lie has no legs :tongue:

Whatta...? Thanks a lot, Jim! We are supposed to trust each other, Jim! If that is your real name! Now what we are going to do with 2 shipments of Pullback Merchandise? What about already paid FB Ads? And highway billboards? You can forget about that Lilac Pullback Boxers you wanted so much!

I'm sorry, but you know me. I can't live with lies. Keeps me awake at night. I already had my doubts to begin with, but those dollars man....those dollars!

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm sorry, but you know me. I can't live with lies. Keeps me awake at night. I already had my doubts to begin with, but those dollars man....those dollars!

So it’s more ‘DollarBricks’ for you then? That’s nice to know...;)

Just now, rener said:

So it’s more ‘DollarBricks’ for you then? That’s nice to know...;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

51 minutes ago, Jim said:

It's probably better to come clean, since we have been busted anyway. @Milan and I have been quite busy selling copyrighted merchandise over the past couple of weeks. We figured we could get away with it, but apparently what goes around comes around :tongue:

Most hilarious mods ever! Where can I buy? :laugh:

7 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Ouch splat! do you think the mods knew?

@Aventador2004 - Do you think that ignorance is a valid excuse?

Think about it this way:
If you want to use an image, did you take that photo and/or create that image yourself?
If the answer is no, then you COPIED it from somewhere else.
If you do not have permission from the copyright owner, or your use does not fit into the category of the 'fair use' doctrine, then you are not allowed to use that content.

The same applies to literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture.

7 hours ago, Jim said:

26298099568_949e83c5d8.jpg

@Jim - Is your comment (quoted above) an admission of guilt?
As the copyright owner, I also retain the exclusive right to produce derivative works based on my original, copyrighted image.
Given your position on this forum, you should know better, and your blatant disregard for my legal rights as the copyright owner and your continued use of this image and derivatives thereof is very concerning.

Not trying to make light of this situation, it is definitely a scourge that is apparently running rampant throughout all aspects of our society today and should be handily dealt with. 

So just wondering @Splat what should all involved parties do to rectify the situation, what would be acceptable to you. 

What I am wondering, is why @Splat is getting all worked up over a simple picture, yet he is using a Minifig in his logo, while it's very clear that this is not tolerated by The LEGO Group.
https://www.lego.com/en-MY/service/help-topics/fun-for-fans/behind-the-scenes/our-company/commercial-use-of-lego-products

We can't allow the use of LEGO copyright materials such as brand names, logos and trademarks like the 2x4 brick or the LEGO minifigure for commercial purposes such as promotional campaigns, marketing and PR. This also applies to items such as building instructions and parts. For more details, see our Fair Play policy.

When I visit his Youtube channel and watch a video, Ads are shown, which makes it a commercial activity. Apparently the rules don't apply to him, but they do to others. I can only assume he has explicit permission of TLG to use their Minifig.

We are proud to announce new Pullback merchandise. The shirt is made of 100% slave-free cotton and no endangered species have been sacrificed to produce the mug. Both products are produced in child-labor-free countries and no pullback motors were hurt during the process.

26309418258_87acb287d9.jpg

21 hours ago, Jim said:

Actually, it was just a placeholder, but I forgot to make a proper promo image.

And again.....the original image was just a placeholder in a temp topic. Since I was very busy, Milan published the topic. We both didn't think of replacing the image with an actual promo image. Nothing more, nothing less.