Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

On 1/29/2022 at 10:43 PM, Ayrlego said:

A figbarf for Altonia (because why not?!):

Indeed! These really should be added to Jameis Farstrider's guide!

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2022 at 3:43 PM, Ayrlego said:

Alpiner Jäger

This is my favorite of the bunch. :pir-thumb:

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2022 at 3:43 PM, Ayrlego said:

Linieninfanterie (Line Infantry), ... Landswehr (militia).

I love that you've used the back of the green pirate torso as the front for these two!

And have you used an upside-down base for a lever to attach to the hat plume, which enables you to attach the flower stud? Clever!

Jameis Farstrider sails again! Some new entries have been added to the Guide.

I have a question for those who are perhaps more familiar with BBCode or whatever is powering Eurobricks. When copying text from on thread, topic or message to a new topic, the editor tends to also copy the white background behind text and images. This is rather annoying and so far I haven't found a way to "clear" text of this specific markup. Does anyone have an idea?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

51865681834_8490e492c4_w.jpg

I've already manually cleaned up the Heptarchy's entry and have started on the Lotus entry, but it rather tedious to manually clean it up via copying into a text editor and then copying it back into the browsers + relinking PNG images (which are transparent FYI).

EDIT: So via trial-and-error, I've found that Flickr adds a white background to a transparent PNG when you use the Flickr resizer when making your BBCode link. Odd... Still doesn't solve the issue for text though.

Edited by Khorne

2 hours ago, Khorne said:

When copying text from on thread, topic or message to a new topic, the editor tends to also copy the white background behind text and images. This is rather annoying and so far I haven't found a way to "clear" text of this specific markup. Does anyone have an idea?

To remove that formatting you can highlight the text and use the 'Tx' tool in the WYSIWYG editor - it should remove the white background!

Thanks for adding the new NPC info!

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

To remove that formatting you can highlight the text and use the 'Tx' tool in the WYSIWYG editor - it should remove the white background!

Thanks for adding the new NPC info!

Okay, thanks! That's useful to know :thumbup:.

Excellent lore updates to the Farstrider Guide. It is an excellent read with an involved and very snappy presentation. Thanks for all of your effort everybody. I'm reading it all day. 

@Khorne Many thanks for the Farstrider's Guid update. It was interesting and informative to read.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, Khorne said:

EDIT: So via trial-and-error, I've found that Flickr adds a white background to a transparent PNG when you use the Flickr resizer when making your BBCode link. Odd... Still doesn't solve the issue for text though.

If you paste text "as plain text" (Ctr + Shift + V) that should avoid the white background.  But sometimes you'll want to keep formatting such as links, in that case there's really no good solution.

23 hours ago, evancelt said:

Yep, another way to remove formatting, but again, removes all formatting including links you may want.

22 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Excellent lore updates to the Farstrider Guide. It is an excellent read with an involved and very snappy presentation. Thanks for all of your effort everybody. I'm reading it all day. 

18 hours ago, NOD said:

@Khorne Many thanks for the Farstrider's Guid update. It was interesting and informative to read.

6 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

An absolutely brilliant guide, thank you to all involved. The graphics and figbarfs are amazing - very inspiring for future builds!

Glad you all enjoyed the additions. @Ayrlego also provided input and background content, plus gathered existing info. Most icons I had already made for the Essen page, but I made some new ones for the extra topics that are included in Jameis' Guide.

I'm working on deeplinks for the figbarfs, because most are currently hidden on my Flickr page, but I'm planning to migrate those to the same account I use for the icons so my own feed doesn't get filled with only figures (even though, that's already 80% of my feed :grin:).

The Middle Kingdoms entry has been in the works for some months now and the Lotus and Monomonto entries were fine tuned over the course of last month in order to provide extra background information and inspiration for the coming challenges in the continuing El Oleonda conflict :classic:

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

If you paste text "as plain text" (Ctr + Shift + V) that should avoid the white background.  But sometimes you'll want to keep formatting such as links, in that case there's really no good solution.

Yep, another way to remove formatting, but again, removes all formatting including links you may want.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing there probably won't be an easy solution where I can just remove the white background, but keep the bold, italic, etc formatting. What a weird gimmick to include the white background, when copying. Doesn't really seem useful to me to include that function in the text editor.

I'm sure I saw a map with all of the regions put together somewhere but I am struggling to find it.

Would anyone know where this would be? I'd love to visualise all of the NPC nations and the game world as a whole!

I believe Mesabi made one a while back Here is the Flickr link/picture

World Map

@Khorne  I just read the new Farstrider Guide update.  They are top notch!  Thanks for putting in that level of effort.

Question: Is it possible to get a bullet in the Diplomacy Section on how a nation reacts to black-flaggers/privateers?  I miss the old days of Legostone/ESL bidding for my services against Mardier and the Letters of Marque, and I am curious if some NPC nations are of similar mind.  (Yes, there is the Lotus/Carno fracas but that has become woefully one-sided and I'm not suicidal :pir-grin:)

52 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Yes, there is the Lotus/Carno fracas but that has become woefully one-sided 

This is the precise reason that you should be interested in any offer Carno might for Letters of Marque, etc., and why they would be willing to make offers. I suspect they would be happy to employ mercenaries at this stage, and the Lotus fleets are not overpowering. 

FYI, I know of at least one instance of a PC nation working out a deal with an NPC pirate to fight against the Lotii. :pir-oh: :wink:

Lol.  No, you misunderstood me.  I would have sided with the underdog by Lotii.  Unfortunately, they now face Oleon (the strongest fleet sailing by far… they even worry me), Corrington, Carno, and now a PC pirate. It’s  way too slanted a playing field to bother.  Heck, it would be over already if the Reds could stop losing capital ships. 😜

I was musing more about two ‘minnows’ having a little intercine trade war I could stick my nose into and maybe go semi-legit.  No worries though - I’ll just continue picking daisies. :pir-grin:

@Kwatchi I'd imagine the GMs will take the size of player forces and match, or even exceed, that contribution. The lotii are mighty. The numbers may be daunting but it's not as though the Lotus empire has fixed army numbers. They can be as large or diminutive as the GMs deem nessicary for a hearty fight.

As to participating in a NPC vs NPC altercation, I'm sure if you put the effort into a good story arch and support it with mocs, the GMs will reward those efforts. As a wise person once told me, 'mocs equal effort. Effort is rewarded.'

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

On 2/6/2022 at 11:44 PM, Khorne said:

DIT: So via trial-and-error, I've found that Flickr adds a white background to a transparent PNG when you use the Flickr resizer when making your BBCode link.

How did you manage to solve this? If I cut and paste from your posts when editing the exsisting entries it works fine - but when I use the BB code from Flickr it inserts the white background.

15 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Lol.  No, you misunderstood me.  I would have sided with the underdog by Lotii.  Unfortunately, they now face Oleon (the strongest fleet sailing by far… they even worry me), Corrington, Carno, and now a PC pirate. It’s  way too slanted a playing field to bother.  Heck, it would be over already if the Reds could stop losing capital ships. 😜

I was musing more about two ‘minnows’ having a little intercine trade war I could stick my nose into and maybe go semi-legit.  No worries though - I’ll just continue picking daisies. :pir-grin:

That would interest me too. On the underdog side is more interesting and fun. A Lotii Letters of Marque?

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

How did you manage to solve this? If I cut and paste from your posts when editing the exsisting entries it works fine - but when I use the BB code from Flickr it inserts the white background.

When deeplinking transparent PNG's from Flickr, I've found that you need to use the image in its original size. At first I made the icons at @2 size and then wanted to use them at 50% on EB, but whenever I used the Flickr resizing option, it added the white background. So I then made all icons 100% true size and re-uploaded them to Flickr and when deeplinking I now use the "Original size" option. The moment you pick something other than "Original size", it adds a white background.

2 minutes ago, Khorne said:

When deeplinking transparent PNG's from Flickr, I've found that you need to use the image in its original size. At first I made the icons at @2 size and then wanted to use them at 50% on EB, but whenever I used the Flickr resizing option, it added the white background. So I then made all icons 100% true size and re-uploaded them to Flickr and when deeplinking I now use the "Original size" option. The moment you pick something other than "Original size", it adds a white background.

Does it convert the original PNG to a JPG when it resizes? That would ditch the transparent background

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

Does it convert the original PNG to a JPG when it resizes? That would ditch the transparent background

I'm guessing that's most likely the issue. That or the resizer tool drops the alpha channel and changes the PNG from RGBA to RGB for some reason. I don't think there's much to do about it :sceptic:.

8 hours ago, NOD said:

Lotii Letters of Marque?

I'm sure the Lotii issue Letters of Marque, too. The question is: how would you acquire them? If you had a good story illustrated with an MOC or two, then who knows what could happen … :wink:

Some Mokolei troops - I seem to be into old world NPC building at the moment!

51900801528_302499628a.jpg

Infantry: Imperial Janissary (heavy infantry), Nizami musketeers (x2) (line infantry),  Kvarnerić Pandour (light infantry), Mokolei Shamshiri (melee infantry). Cavalry: Imperial Guard Cavalry, Nizami Lancer, Camel Tribesman.

I'm posting from a hotel room in (not so) sunny London, I'm visiting the UK for work for the next few weeks so no more MOCs for a little while, although hopefully Colonel Allcock will get out for some sight seeing pictures and I should have some time to catch up on some admin stuff around here!

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I'm visiting the UK for work for the next few weeks

If you'd like me to put you in touch with any of the London AFOLs, let me know. Are you visiting anywhere else?