Rick

2018 Friends Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Hello everybody. I know some of the pictures of the 2018 second wave sets have been knocking around in dark corners of the internet for a while... :look: 

For ease of reference I have added High-Res pictures of (pretty much) all the sets to the first post of this thread. 

The second wave sets were on sale in Billund when I was there the other day, and indeed are now also on sale in my local supermarket (UK). Reviews from all quarters will not be too far behind I'm sure, and I'm hoping to do a couple myself as I seem to have acquired a few sets. There really are some lovely sets in this wave, and the go-karting subtheme is a really interesting direction, I think.

Can anyone who's already gotten a couple of the new sets tell me how far the launcher bits actually launch the go-karts? (I'm considering adding a little racetrack bit to my village.)

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

There's been much discussion over on the topic for City regarding this new line of polybags

*Snip*

I think a very, very large part of the Friends line is used by City builders to expand their townscape, and many Friends builders are building their own version of Heartlake City, be it with Modulars or an alternate townscape, so I can see that these polybags would be a great way to boost detail in either. The appeal of the polybags to City builders is that the parts add the detail that is most easily found in Friends sets, without the purchasers having to deal with lime green or orange or magenta so much.

They are not dissimilar to these sets released last year:

40170-1.png

40264-1.png

10 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Can anyone who's already gotten a couple of the new sets tell me how far the launcher bits actually launch the go-karts? (I'm considering adding a little racetrack bit to my village.)

It depends on how hard you hit the lever and what kind of surface the go-kart is rolling on. 

40264 is great for adding bunnies to a MOC. I should have bought more.  

Here are two blog posts that may be of interest to readers here:

The Brothers Brick - Summer 2018 wave of LEGO Friends sets [Review] 

New Elementary - LEGO® FAN MEDIA DAYS 2018: WHAT HAPPENED 

3 hours ago, Pandora said:

They are not dissimilar to these sets released last year:

Ah, yes, I've forgotten about those two. 

On 03/06/2018 at 6:10 AM, dr_spock said:

It depends on how hard you hit the lever and what kind of surface the go-kart is rolling on. 

40264 is great for adding bunnies to a MOC. I should have bought more.  

I don't suppose you could give me an estimate? Assuming the surface is standard official road baseplates?

9 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I don't suppose you could give me an estimate? Assuming the surface is standard official road baseplates?

If you just "tap" the grey Technic beam of the Launcher, it will go about 18 inches, on a flat surface.  If you "slam" it (as many people refer to the Launchers as Slammers), then it could probably go 3 feet (36 inches) or more -- on a straight path.

Here's an image of Andrea's Go-Kart:

34-Drifting-Diner-41349-Review-Andrea-Andretti-Launches-her-Go-Kart

I barely tapped for image-sake.  The Karts have proper weight-to-wheel ratio to 'go' well.

Hope that helps :-)

I'm starting to wonder if the 2019 wave will be tied to the LEGO Movie 2, or if it will be completely separate from that

32 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I'm starting to wonder if the 2019 wave will be tied to the LEGO Movie 2, or if it will be completely separate from that

Or, we'll see an all-new sci-fi minidoll theme follow-up after the sequel, to make usage of whatever other new parts may be introduced by the movie's tie-in sets... :grin:

Spoiler

lg2-t1-01053.jpg?w=892&h=598&crop=1

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

While we've not yet known whether Friends can eventually have a role in any LEGO film, I think there's no need to have a movie tie since the different series still stays with the respective canon. Just like the Ninjago sets from that year was still NInjago, not TLM version.

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Or, we'll see an all-new sci-fi minidoll theme follow-up after the sequel, to make usage of whatever other new parts may be introduced by the movie's tie-in sets... :grin:

Pretty much the Unikitty case.

1 hour ago, Dorayaki said:

While we've not yet known whether Friends can eventually have a role in any LEGO film

We know now ---

hearts-fired.jpg

Sweet-Mayhem-comes-in-pieces.jpg

Sweet-Mayhem-talking-to-Lucy.jpg

Sweet Mayhem

:-)

Just now, LegoMyMamma said:

We know know ---

Still we need to take the two things apart. It's more about indicating a franchise than showing a certain type of figures. (Well it's gone offtopic so let's focus on the sets here).

I'm not sure if most here have seen the new reboot cartoon series. It does look like newer Friends sets have become more story-wise thing.

Here are some names and set numbers for a few January 2019 releases, via Instagram:

• 41354 Andrea's Heart Box
  • 41355 Emma's Heart Box
  • 41356 Stephanie's Heart Box
  • 41357 Olivia's Heart Box
  • 41358 Mia's Heart Box
  • 41359 Heart Box Friendship Pack
  • 41364 Stephanie's Buggy & Trailer
  • 41365 Emma's Art Studio
  • 41366 Olivia's Cupcake Cafe
  • 41368 Andrea's Talent Show

The Cupcake Cafe sounds promising, snd the Heart Boxes intrigue me. 

Other than that, it all sounds like the same old, same old. I'm not getting my my hopes up too much for anything spectacular out of that lot.

EDIT: Wow, 700th post and I accidentally write 'Copcake Cafe' . . actually, I'd buy that. A cafe that serves cake to cops . . yeah, I might try building that. XD

Edited by Feng-huang0296

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Thanks for sharing!

Lots of hints for upcoming sets and a new girl themed aimed towards slightly older audiences!  Let’s just hope the outside the city sets aren’t just farm and beach again. :P I think this interview suggests to the above set list being fake. It’s very repetive while this interview suggests Friends is broadening out. 

The news about more advanced builds is very interesting.

As the Creator line has seemingly abandoned the fully-enclosed, detailed residential and commercial buildings (e.g. Apple Tree House, Family Home, Bike Shop and Café and Corner Deli) in favour of the Creator "Modular" style, I wonder if those more advanced Creator buildings could find a home in the Lego Friends line for older fans?

I think they would fit pretty well as some of the Lego Friends sets are edging in that direction, while still utilising the narrow-width and open back design elements from Lego City (and now Lego Creator).

35 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

The news about more advanced builds is very interesting.

As the Creator line has seemingly abandoned the fully-enclosed, detailed residential and commercial buildings (e.g. Apple Tree House, Family Home, Bike Shop and Café and Corner Deli) in favour of the Creator "Modular" style, I wonder if those more advanced Creator buildings could find a home in the Lego Friends line for older fans?

I think they would fit pretty well as some of the Lego Friends sets are edging in that direction, while still utilising the narrow-width and open back design elements from Lego City (and now Lego Creator).

I'd be excited to see that. 

Y'now, as long as they don't keep up this overdependence on the 'pastel' colours. Normal colours are fine, people!

15 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'd be excited to see that. 

Y'now, as long as they don't keep up this overdependence on the 'pastel' colours. Normal colours are fine, people!

Pastel colours sell these sets though. :P I could see older girls being attracted to the “sand” shades though, which are rarely used in Friends.