On ‎5‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Rishab N said:

IMO something about it reminds me of the Jaguar XJ220 not sure why

This is great to hear, because

• that's actually one of my dream cars to build one day
  • I always considered it very hard to build
On ‎5‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Rishab N said:

Also nice that it incorporates pop up headlights

It's good that you bring this up, because these aren't connected to anything yet. Yes, there's a mechanism, but it's not linked to the dashboard and I very much doubt this is still possible (the steering HOG is in the way). I might just use a HOG on the front hood for that, so that at least it's there, because I think it has enough functions already so I don't have to be ashamed :)

Anyhow... there's progress, again! :) It's actually two stages of progress in one go. The first: everything is mirrored, so it's symmetrical again, and there's some paneling on the back. The panel on each side is held up by a pin, so it accidenally hangs down on one side. I have yet to find a nice way to increase the structure a bit there (the whole back is only connected at the very bottom with 4 red pins with bush). Also I wanted to do white grille tiles but I ran out.

largesupercar2017_take6_4.jpgAlso

largesupercar2017_take6_2.jpg

A lot of surface has been covered by the large panels in the back, but a difficult gap remains between them, where you see the battery box. Also I changed the roof to black. I still dislike the light gray pieces, but the 1x5 steering arm doesn't exist in other colors and the 2x4.8 steering arm I only have in white

largesupercar2017_take6_9.jpg

If you carefully follow all axles running from the gearboxes on the side (red 16t gears) then you will see that one of each goes to a door, a third one goes all the way to the front (lifting the hood), and the fourth one is now routed to the back. I'm not entirely happy with the way this is one, but there was just enough room for everything to fit. I'm thinking of trying out improvements digitally, but I'm not sure there's much to gain. They're light functions so the U-joints are no problem.

You might wonder why there are lime pieces, but these are actually key pieces that secure the gearboxes, so I did them in a special color. Unfortunately the 3x3 T beam doesn't allow much color.

The second part of this post's progress is smaller, but important just as much:

largesupercar2017_take7_1.jpg

At the front, the hood has been added. I ran out of 5x7 panels so I had to replace those on the very front. Not sure whether this change gives some opportunities for connecting things better there. The triangular gap in the hood itself probably stays there; the HOG for the headlights may fit there (I hope).

At the back, the gap between the panels is filled with a smaller panel that fits nicely, and an adjustable spoiler base has been added. I'm not sure about the spoiler itself yet. I think 3x11 panels are too big but at least they exist in dark gray. The only other solutions I see are liftarm stacking, or plates/tiles. I'd like to hear your ideas about this.

OK, so it looks like it's almost done now. But there's still a lot to do:

• fixed headlights and indicators
  • pop-up headlights
  • rear lights and indicators
  • fixing the HOG slipping problem
  • adding HOG for pop-up headlights
  • rear spoiler
  • adding BB, finding a way to switch it on/off, and hope it fits and I can tuck away the wire somewhere
  • fixing the sides of the windscreen (this is still very weak)
  • add mirrors
  • add something to secure the switches (green 1x2 cross block in rear side window)
  • improving some bits and pieces in the chassis
  • and anything else I may come up with

Also the chassis right now is two-colored (black in the middle, light gray at the axles). I'm not sure I like this, because black also returns in the body itself. I prefer to use a non-body color for the chassis so that people who see the BOM can know which parts are for where. So I might want to make it all light gray. But I'd like to know how others see this.

All feedback, critique etc. is welcome.

Nice progress! I like the functions and features, but I'm not sure about the bodywork yet. I would like to see some pictures from more natural angles. I mean angles from which you would view a real car. In my opinion that gives a better impression of what the model looks like.

Edited by Didumos69

That is a lot of progress :thumbup:
But I must admit, I am not sold on your top part. The dark grey area feels too long for me (although the angles of the photograph may have to do with that as well as @Didumos69 pointed out). Also the colouring of the doors is a bit of a jungle with the black, dark and light grey.

The windows flow very nice from the white bodywork, but maybe it is even a bit too smooth. A slightly more pronounced change in angle would maybe help?

As usual, these are just my opinions, feel free to ignore them :tongue:

Good idea to taje puctures from more natural angles. I did so, but manipulating them on a ranket us super tine consuming :p

largesupercar2017_take8_1.jpg

largesupercar2017_take8_2.jpg

largesupercar2017_take8_5.jpg

largesupercar2017_take8_7.jpg

largesupercar2017_take8_8.jpg

This is a very good looking car! Really gorgeous! Love the colour combo!

I can already imagine a sunset photo with it's pop up headlights, Petrolicious style :wub:

13 hours ago, jotta93 said:

This is a very good looking car! Really gorgeous!

of course judging a car design is often a matter of personal style - but my i bring in some critics to the table, even harsh sounding critics?

If you call this car a gorgeous looking car: how do you call cars like e.g. The Icarus by Madocca, The Predator by N. Kuipers, the DTM-cars by brunoji, Lipcos supercar, the 42056 Porsche - just mentioning some examples, there are some more) - do you then call them "super hyper gorgeous awesome"? ;-) well, i'm not a native speaker but AFAIK "gorgeous" is already one of the strongest terms you can use for the look of something, isn't it? And do you really say, that this car by Eric looks as gorgeous as some of the examples i mentioned above? If yes, well, than this is your personal taste and of course i respect it -  but am i allowed to say, that i can not understand it?

Eric, i really like your building style and a lot of your models (e.g. the mid scale tow truck and a lot of models more) and i like also the mechanics of this supercar, really well done! But i'm sorry, for this supercar i have to say, the exterior fails IMHO more or less completely (of course its IMHO):

- the tumbler tires do not really fit to a supercar

- the bonnet and actually the whole front looks really really ugly (judged on base of the second pic of your latest posting)

- the rear wheel well looks like a mess - especially the two white Panel Fairing # 5 Long Smooth on top

- the side skirt in combination with the door look very blocky and ithe panneling has a no flow...

- The color combo does not really work in my eyes, but i admit, this probably just my own personal taste...

Eric, pleae do not misunderstand me, nothing is more far away from me than offending you! Please read my posting in the sense of a honest opinion to THIS bodywork because i know from your previous models that you can do it much better... but maybe the current looks are exactly what you wanted to achieve, who knows - then i have to say: not my taste ;-)

BTW: of course i for myself could never design a supercar from scratch, so i admire all of you who are able to do this - but nevertheless i have long time experience in building others creations and MODing them so i have allowed myself to write this honest opinion...

Edited by Kumbbl

@Kumbbl Sure there are some other great looking cars by other great builders, but I'm just giving my thoughts on this one

We each have our own taste :wink:

Edited by jotta93

@Kumbbl I appreciate the criticisms, because that's what we need to improve. I do not agree on everything you say (personally I like it, but I do see many areas that can be improved) but certainly on many accounts I think you are right. (You are certainly wrong on criticizing jotta93, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion and yours is not more valid than theirs :) ) As I said, I'm better at mechanisms, and I didn't build in this scale for quite some time. :) But I really appreciate your critical and detailed view. As for your points:

• I won't change the wheels. I agree it's not what I jad hoped, but I wanted to try it, and also I think it gives a kind of character. Also the scale is built around them. My next car will certainly use other wheels (I ordered the Porsche ones).
  • I agree on the problems with the front. I think the blue part will not change, but I don't like the front white part either, so I'll see how I can improve it. I'm thinking of using large panels #17, #18.
  • The 3x11 panels above the rear wheel can't be lowered, because then the wheel will touch it. It can't be inverted becuase the thin end fits nicely beside the wider part of the dark grey beam. Shorter panels don't work, that will leave a gap that eill be hard to fill. Using flex axles would be good to add 'flow', but I don't have many of those and I'd rather not do another bricklink order... So I agre it's not optimal, but I don't see ways to improve it at the moment.
  • I disagree about the sides. I think it's fairly gap-free and flows nicely (at least the blue/white part. The grey part could be better maybe).
  • Having people dislike the colors is the inherent risk of trying new combinations... I think you will have to get used to that in my builds, because I love all those silly colors and trying to combine them in unusual ways...

I'll see what I can do with the front (that's I think the worst part (@IA creations, indeed)) and if Ican find ways to improve the rear wheel well. But I won't redo the whole bodywork, so I don't think it will be to your tastes this time...

But, again, I really appreciate your feedback, o thanks for writing it out. (I dare to think Eurobricks could use more of this.)

Edited by Erik Leppen

I think the overall design is good, it's a bit like a Le Mans racer from the 70s, maybe because of the wheels. Apart form the paneling at some parts (this is still a WIP, so things will likely improve) the main problem I have with the model is the too low roof profile. I think one stud higher would make the overall shape more proportional.
I also like the color scheme with the multiple colors which is a current trend with real cars too.

4 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

@Kumbbl I appreciate the criticisms, because that's what we need to improve. I do not agree on everything you say (personally I like it, but I do see many areas that can be improved) ....<....>

I'll see what I can do with the front (that's I think the worst part (@IA creations, indeed)) and if Ican find ways to improve the rear wheel well. But I won't redo the whole bodywork, so I don't think it will be to your tastes this time...

Thanks for your distinguished reply - Well, it's your model and of course you should always build what YOU like... and you are right, improving the front and - if possible - the rear wheel well would already help a lot.... i'm sure a talented builder like you will find solutions... ;-)

I don't know Erik. I have to agree with much of what Kumbbl has said. The wheels just don't look right on a model like this and the entire roof looks really rough, especially the very odd looking front windscreen. I don't have a problem with the colors at all, I think they're great, but the design is not very appealing. But if you are happy with it, then I guess that is all that matters. :wink:

Edited by Meatman

Wheels and shape remind me of the Lamborghini Countach, which also brings me to the most important point of critique; the area behind the rear window is too flat and too large IMO. I think it would look much better if the rear window and the area behind it would make a single inclined plane just like in the Lamborghini Countach. Another thing that would give it a little more 'speed' is when to rear bumper would sit one stud higher.

1975LamborghiniCountach_01_1200-700x372.

1976%20Lamborghini%20Countach%20LP-400%20Coupe%20Sv.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I believe it looks more like a Jaguar  XJ220, in which case the rear part should be this long.

jaguar-xj220-buying-guide-review-1993-19

Opinions, opinions...

About the too low roof - that might be a thing, indeed. I'm not sure though about heightening it - the 4x6 beams for the doors work really well now, so having a good replacement for that would be the main concern about raising the roof. But it might improve things elsewhere.

@Meatman: what exactly is  "rough" about the roof and what exactly is "odd" about the windscreen?

@Didumos69: you're compareing to a specific real car, but this isn't a real car. I'm not sure how your critique matches earlier critique about the rear window being too long. That can't be both fixed. So I don't think I'll be changing that.

Anyhow, I'm working on a new front. I think it's better than the old.

The old (both have one pop-up headlight as example):

largesupercar2017_take9_1.jpg

The new (the wheel arches with the #3 angle connectors are pointing the wrong way):

largesupercar2017_take9_4.jpg

Installed:

largesupercar2017_take9_5.jpg

(All #3 connectors should be white, but I don't own many in white)

Edited by Erik Leppen

The roof looks rough with the combination of dark blue gray technic parts combined with system bricks. The windscreen looks odd because of the sharp angles sticking out and those 4L thin dark blue gray liftarms that are connecting the top of it to the sides do not look good at all as they are cutting into the cockpit and look like they would seriously be blocking the driver/passenger's view.

It just doesn't look very good from this angle. I think you should also consider using flexible axles above the rear wheel because the car looks very unbalanced when you view it from front to back.

largesupercar2017_take8_7.jpg

Your new front end design looks much much better.:thumbup:

I like this for its originality.

Bodywork is not clean enough at this moment. For my eye the flex axles on the front pop out too much and feel unnecessary. Have you considered sculpting the front without flex axles? I think the whole model would be more consistent that way. With enough design iterations this will be a classic :D

Edited by drakmin

On ‎13‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 0:25 AM, TechnicRCRacer said:

I like it how it is, but it should really use flex axles in the back IMHO.

I'm afraid these are almost all flex axles I have in white, so that won't be possible right now...

On ‎12‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 11:30 PM, drakmin said:

Have you considered sculpting the front without flex axles? I think the whole model would be more consistent that way.

Yeah, maybe. The hard part here is that usually the front should be as low as possible above the wheels. This is hard in panels because panels are large unbendable things. But I'll see if I can come up with a solution. Because I do agree that the flexes in only one place are a bit out-of-style.

On ‎12‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 5:51 PM, Meatman said:

The roof looks rough with the combination of dark blue gray technic parts combined with system bricks. The windscreen looks odd because of the sharp angles sticking out and those 4L thin dark blue gray liftarms that are connecting the top of it to the sides do not look good at all as they are cutting into the cockpit and look like they would seriously be blocking the driver/passenger's view.

The reason for this was that I wanted the windscreen to increase rigidity, like in reality, but it didn't work because it was too flimsy anyway. So I changed it now.

So, there's again some progress. First, there are some small changes to the upper door connection and the windscreen.

largesupercar2017_take10_1.jpg

The windscreen is now done with axles, so it's less bulky and doesn't hinder the view. I think it's better this way (thanks @Meatman). Second, the light gray part on the door hinge has gone. It's now done with dark gray connectors. It's slightly less strong but not noticeably. Third, I added the switchers in dark gray so they don't pop out too much, and connected them to the rest.

At the front I added lights, under the large white panels. I'm not entirely happy with them though. The connection is a single stud, whch is very weak, and I'm not sure about the style either. Maybe I should ditch the pop-up lights (it's not connected to any HOG) and add nice fixed lights there. But I'd hate to lose a function, even if only a small one. It's Technic, after all.

The biggest change/progress is, I changed the rear.

largesupercar2017_take10_3.jpg

I was very unhappy about the old rear with all the stacked panels, especially the trapezium panels were very ugly, so I designed a "grille" using beams and black grille tiles. Personally I think it's much better. But again, the lights bug me a bit. Also, the large top panels are still connected only in one place, so it's still a bit flimsy there. I haven't yet found a solution to that. I did change it so that the spoiler stand is connected to the frame a bit more, rather than on the paneling. So the modularity of the build is a bit better.

Gr8 progress Erik !

I realley like how this is turning out :) BTW, that is one nice rear end :wink: 

I really like what you did to the windows:thumbup: It is looking much cleaner now. I know you are short on the white grill pieces, but I think the DBG ones are distracting from the (now better looking) rear TBH.

For the front you may want to draw some inspiration from Madoca's Icarus or Charbel's Volcano. Use the flexaxles to curve around the wheels and place some panels above the wheels to cover them.

The rear lights might look better if they are positioned facing backward instead of pointing downwards. Lights are tough details to get right though, in real life you can almost identify the brand of a car just by looking at the shape of the lights. That shows that there is a lot of detail in that shaping that we perceive... I guess it must have something to do with our lizardbrain recognizing the eyes of the predators or something :classic:.

New progress! I think this is the last one before finishing. And I think the body is done - I don't see ways to improve it further. Also, interest is dwindling, I feel like I'm ready for a new project.

A lot has happened over the last week. More precisely, a lot of small changes have been made. I didn't change the roof, but among the things that have changed, are:

• No pop-up lights anymore. They didn't work and I couldn't get it to look nice.
  • New headlights! This was the hardest part indeed; I tried 4 versions or so and picked the one I liked best. It may not be your taste, but it was the best I could do.
  • I tried lots of versions for the front wheel arches, but in the end nothing looked nice, so I kept the flex axles.
  • Side mirrors. Also, in that area, some parts have been connected. It's not an exact fit, so parts are stressed a bit, but it works.
  • The rear lights have changed, so they don't point downward anymore.
  • The battery box has been put in its designated position, with a switch sticking out the rear.
  • The top white panels at the rear are now connected to the rear window for a little bit of extra strength.
  • The rear spoiler has been added. As dark gray is light on panels, I went for slopes and tiles.

The front:

largesupercar2017_take11_1.jpglargesupercar2017_take11_6.jpg

The rear:

largesupercar2017_take11_4.jpglargesupercar2017_take11_5.jpg

Last picture from the side:

largesupercar2017_take11_9.jpg

Digital file is now 99% complete, and it has about 3000 parts... I now understand why supercars on Rebrickable have so many parts... A lot goes into all those details. Also, it's quite heavy. Much more than I expected beforehand, and much heavier than my 1:10 scale cars.

In fact it's not 100% finished, because the HOG problem is still not solved, but this is so deep in the model and probably requires such a small change that I think I wll only do this digitally, when I do instructions. IF I do instructions, because the software I use starts to give bugs over about 2000 parts (I had some problems with my recent orange moblie crane).

Interesting or surprising part counts:

• about 80 gears. Less than 42070, but more than many supercars because it has a gearbox and electric functions.
  • 130 pins with pin hole... 100 axles 2, 80 axles 3, 400 black 2L pins
  • 240 System parts
  • 70 panels

I'm not sure yet what I will do with the digital file. Properly submodeling this beast will be a whole lot of work.

Here's again the Brickshelf folder: Large supercar in 1 to 8 scale, started in 2017.