What kind of a competition would you like to see?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of a competition would you like to see?

• Purist competition with no third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • Purist competition with no third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • Purist competition with no third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • Two additional functions besides drving and steering are allowed (this will limit the amount of PF channels)
    • Two additional functions besides drving and steering are not allowed
    • Models should be limited by scale or size
    • Models should be limited by minimum weight
    • There should be size or weight limits
    • A bare chassis is ok for me
    • Models should have some minimum paneling
    • There should be a system of points in place in order to reward good looking models
    • Track should be straight and flat
    • Track should be full of turns
    • Track should have some ascends and descends
    • Track should have some slight bumps and obstacles
    • Track should have all of the above
    • All models should have the same pre-built chassis
    • Models should be at least 75% technic
    • I want to join a competition event and race with others on the track (multiple racers at once)
    • I want to set up a predetermined track at home, record the model and post results online

I don't think there should be any rules on how you can build (such as pre-made chassis) because that limits creativity, there should only be rules on what the finished model can be (such as looking like a F1 car, and being a certain scale).

Also, deciding what wins should be done by voting (like the battle-bots competition) on overall performance, not just speed or handling (which would eliminate the need for accurate speed measuring). 

And @Zero (Zblj), you forgot to put the "only allowed one battery box" option in the poll.

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

and if people want handling tested, just a circle of defined size

I think this could work if we take the size thingy out, you could say: handling is steering at speed, whoever can drive the most circles (of any size, determined by the cars turning-circle and speed) within a minute, has the best handling.

Or maybe make it the most figure "8's" so the car will have to steer both ways.

2 hours ago, Marxpek said:

Or maybe make it the most figure "8's" so the car will have to steer both ways.

Yes, that sounds better.

But personally, I think that we should make our own tracks depending on what we have.

4 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

But personally, I think that we should make our own tracks depending on what we have.

What if we each made a test track for our car and we voted which car is the best. By who used most creativity, lightness, speed, handling, and turning radius.

17 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

What if we each made a test track for our car and we voted which car is the best. By who used most creativity, lightness, speed, handling, and turning radius.

good post. I  agree.

Thinking about it, what I posted before is a bit too 'calculated' on the results. what you say, @Aventador2004 leaves variables and thus decisions for the voters which is far more exciting and inclusive. just like the bot battle comp.

5 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I think that we should make our own tracks depending on what we have.

I like the test track idea, but then it should be a predetermined track, (nearly) the same for everyone, maybe something that everyone could draw on asphalt with chalk or something.

If we get to create our own track for our own built car, we can just make a track that suits the car, so it looks like it has perfect handling. Maybe a track with some rules like:

-It has to have 1 hairpin turn,  -it has to have 2x 90 degree turn, -it has to have 2x 45 degree turns, -a track width of 30-40 cm, just some ideas.

This leaves some room to set up your own nice track, but has some restriction and similarities to the tracks others will use, that way we can compare how a car handles for example a hairpin turn.

43 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

I like the test track idea, but then it should be a predetermined track, (nearly) the same for everyone, maybe something that everyone could draw on asphalt with chalk or something.

If we get to create our own track for our own built car, we can just make a track that suits the car, so it looks like it has perfect handling. Maybe a track with some rules like:

-It has to have 1 hairpin turn,  -it has to have 2x 90 degree turn, -it has to have 2x 45 degree turns, -a track width of 30-40 cm, just some ideas.

This leaves some room to set up your own nice track, but has some restriction and similarities to the tracks others will use, that way we can compare how a car handles for example a hairpin turn.

Good, I second this.

14 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@Marxpek A very good idea! 

Just a general question: would the car be judged on its looks also? Are 3rd party stickers allowed or would that break the rules?

3rd party stickers I would probably say are ok, or making your own made up sponsors. hmm, I have a pile of self made brands I made up.

Edited by Aventador2004

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

That's exactly what I meant by overall performance.

Just now, letsbuild said:

Is there a specific scale?

I don't know, but I hope there will be :sweet:, something like 1:16 or 1:18 scale.

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

I don't know, but I hope there will be :sweet:, something like 1:16 or 1:18 scale.

Sounds good!

22 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Hmmm. I'm not sure I could make something that small. Mine is at 1:8 scale. May change later.

That's big! it should at least be restricted to a range like 1:12 - 1:18 scale.

The poll does not seem to work for anyone. Whenever I try to submit my answer, the poll disappears with the results. When logged out and browsing this topic some of the results are at 14.29%. This seems like a bug and as a recall someone already reported it. In the meantime, maybe @Zero (Zblj) should make a new topic just for the poll and figuring out the concrete rules?

Just now, Myers Lego Technic said:

I say at least 1:10 be allowed. 

I just thought to keep the scales on the smaller side - to allow for the "maximum 2 drive motors" rule, and to increase performance.

1 minute ago, Epic Technic said:

In the meantime, maybe @Zero (Zblj) should make a new topic just for the poll and figuring out the concrete rules?

Yes, that would be good! (I want to start building!!!)

Also @Zero (Zblj), can you split the options into three? - Classes, Building, and Deciding winners. 

4 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

3 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

I say at least 1:10 be allowed. 

What if there were scale classes? I think 1:10 is perfect IMO.

please, no restrictions in design, size or scale... it just over complicates things and inhibits creativity... i think this should be a search for the best driving car, in whatever design you like, if you can make a huge jeep design go faster than a small race-car design, unlikely, but go ahead.

More restrictions brings less creativity and less entries, more classes will just make this one idea more separate contests, i do not see the need or use.

Edited by Marxpek

12 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

please, no restrictions in design, size or scale... it just over complicates things and inhibits creativity... i think this should be a search for the best driving car, in whatever design you like, if you can make a huge jeep design go faster than a small race-car design, unlikely, but go ahead.

More restrictions brings less creativity and less entries, more classes will just make this one idea more separate contests, i do not see the need or use.

Amen to that

58 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

Yeah, maybe this should stay a idea for a while.

I am not so sure about this. I cannot find a way to make a small Formula E car with suspension or anything fancy. The track seems to also be a problem. I hope the poll is fixed soon, so we can get things straight! Meanwhile, I will continue working on my car.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer