SilentWolf

[COR - CH5E] Hidden Beneath the Falls

Previously...

The Curious Case of the Bottled Message - Bregir
The Lost City of Gold, Part 1 - Ayrlego
Mysteries on Cascadia Part 1 and 2 - Bregir
The Lost City of Gold, Part 2 - Ayrlego  (Part 3 follows after my build)

Micah, Montoya, and Colonel Allcock continued up the river in search of the large lake, using as their guide Montoya's curious letter from the bottle. and the Eslandolian Marderian map that Colonel Allcock had acquired at no small sum. Though they were chilled by the evidence that the Eslandolian's had been slaughtered here, they had no intention of turning around. Micah did not trust the Mardierian officer's account at first, but the evidence has been leading him to realize that there are unscrupulous men (and women) in all nations. Times of war seem to bring out the worst in them. It was not that long ago that Mardier had tried to take Micah's life. If it had not been for the secretive Hannah, he would surely not be on this boat today. What does that lady do? How does she do it? Micah pushed all these other concerns out of his mind and returned to vigilantly scanning the foliage for any hostile party. The party was quite large due to the three groups converging on this single quest. However, it is never good to let your guard down due to sheer numbers. 

The journey continued for several days without incident. They did see signs of large cats, but never caught a glimpse of them. Occasionally, one would be heard at night. The women did not seem too thrilled about the cats being that close, but they attempted not to show it. Upon finding the lake, a small camp was set up. It was decided a few of the soldiers would stay behind to guard the boats, but the rest of the party would continue on into the highlands.

34690899325_ac789446a5_z.jpg

Following the map and the letter, the Corrington party arrived at the base of one of Cascadia's many gorgeous waterfalls. Per the sources, there is a cave and passage behind the waterfall. After a small amount of searching, it was determined that a small path on the right side of the falls was the most likely route for access. It was not easy going as some places were suitable only for mountain goats. Following the path, they spied a small opening behind the fall, but definitely not outside its mist. Alas, the information was true!  Behind the opening was a small cavern safe from the treacherous footing and the powerful mists of the falls. The party decided to leave a guard along the path and bring all the supplies with them through the falls. Of course, this was also not an easy feat. 

34690718335_5158d96ae0_c.jpg

Once in the cavern, Montoya and Colonel Allcock began following the written and drawn directions for navigating the pathways inside the mountain. Micah made sure that the entire party made it through the falls and down the right passageway. It appeared that some advanced race of people had widened and secured these corridors and caverns. One could only imagine what kind of people these were. After following the corridors for about an hour, they saw light up ahead. 

34690717905_6d2d10f21f_z.jpg

Hurrying along, they exited the mountain to brilliant sunshine, and a glorious site. The mountain descended quickly on this side to a valley nestled in the mountains. The view was unobstructed for an extremely long ways. In the distance, they saw a large city sprawling out. It was too far to tell what kind of city it was, but it must indeed be the place they are looking for. The letter and the map were also in agreement to this conclusion. 

We all ran out of time on this collaboration so unfortunately it isn't as fleshed out as we would have liked. (I somehow thought I had until Wednesday to finish.) Though this is the beginning of Corrington's exploration of Cascadia with its mountains and big cats, which Lego has been so gracious to release this summer. :head_back: As the challenge simply stated that we could have up to three builds, I am going to have to settle with just one build this time around. My computer is working on a better render of the front view so I will add that once I have it complete. For more pictures, see below. 

34690898355_d8332c4d03_c.jpg
33880950243_00a8e9cfa1_z.jpg

34679010256_778ede5767_c.jpg

34538682312_4365c337b0_c.jpg

Edited by SilentWolf
Added detailed renders

Gorgeous waterfall indeed, good work on the mountain, and is there an owl on the bank of the waterfall?

Cool choice of minifigs, especially the native wearing redcoat torso.

This is a wonderfull and massive MOC you created!

I can assure Milah that we have nothing to do with those accusations of Eslandolans invading Cascadia! Even our tourists are always asking permission first to the right authorities...

We do miss some tourists though, maybe those Mardierian bastards killed our citizens so they can accuse us :sick:

Love the change from light to dark rockwork as you get nearer the waterfall!  Great effect, and the waterfall itself is one of the best I've seen in a while! :thumbup:  I really like the little flowers along the rocks too!  Nice touch!

The top part of the river... Wow. Just wow! And I have to echo KaiNRG on her comments. And your colorful language. A pleasure to read.

Wow the waterfall really turned out great Silentwolf, as did the tunnels and caves. Great job!

9 hours ago, Bodi said:

Gorgeous waterfall indeed, good work on the mountain, and is there an owl on the bank of the waterfall?

Cool choice of minifigs, especially the native wearing redcoat torso.

Yes that is an owl above the falls. The angles slightly prevent view, but there is also a nest in the crags on the left side. Most of the minifigs were part of my party, with inclusion of a couple from each of Bregir (Montoya) and Ayrlego's (Colonel Allcock) partys. The native with the redcoat torso was a cast to Ayrlego's party and I believe they are Tenaxotilian warriors (but he would have to confirm that). Here is what my party looked like before joining the other expeditions. 
33968544140_4d89fb2869_z.jpg
34352510915_811f04a850_z.jpg

8 hours ago, Maxim I said:

This is a wonderfull and massive MOC you created!

I can assure Milah that we have nothing to do with those accusations of Eslandolans invading Cascadia! Even our tourists are always asking permission first to the right authorities...

We do miss some tourists though, maybe those Mardierian bastards killed our citizens so they can accuse us :sick:

Thank you! Micah will have to look further into whose version of the story is correct, Mardiers or Eslandola. OR maybe the Order is attempting to get all three nations to fight so that they can increase their power and influence. :caroler:

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Love the change from light to dark rockwork as you get nearer the waterfall!  Great effect, and the waterfall itself is one of the best I've seen in a while! :thumbup:  I really like the little flowers along the rocks too!  Nice touch!

Thank you! I was definitely trying to portray the mist and its effects and the multiple grays lent themselves to this concept. I definitely intend on doing more waterfalls in the future as it says Cascadia is full of them. The flowers were a necessity from the start. Every waterfall I have been to has flowers or random plants and trees growing out of the tiniest crevices where one would not expect anything to grow. I knew I had to incorporate that idea. 

56 minutes ago, Sir Stig said:

The top part of the river... Wow. Just wow! And I have to echo KaiNRG on her comments. And your colorful language. A pleasure to read.

Thank you for the compliment to the river. It kept growing and expanding as I built it, but I wanted it to be realistic. I just realized this morning that I never got back to placing rocks in the river. I will have to fix that with the future storyline. I appreciate the compliments to the story. It is one of my hardest aspects to each build. 

15 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Wow the waterfall really turned out great Silentwolf, as did the tunnels and caves. Great job!

Thank you, Ayrlego. Though the caves and tunnels were a nightmare to render even with the different accessible views. I should have probably done them as a separate build so I could have gotten good lighting for the render. It was a really fun build to do!

I love the waterfall, and the general height/depth of the build! The river at the top looks to be constructed in an interesting and effective fashion. Is the waterfall buildable in real life, or just in LDD? I also like some of the minifig creations, particularly the native with the redcoat torso, and the woman with the Shakespeare torso. Your LDD skills look like they're coming along!

Lovely! Great looking waterfall, the rock works is amazing as well, the flowers add nice little bits of colour. Combination of the 2 greys is nicely done as well.

16 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

I love the waterfall, and the general height/depth of the build! The river at the top looks to be constructed in an interesting and effective fashion. Is the waterfall buildable in real life, or just in LDD? I also like some of the minifig creations, particularly the native with the redcoat torso, and the woman with the Shakespeare torso. Your LDD skills look like they're coming along!

I was going to stop two layers of rockwork earlier but decided it needed more height thus it ended up as it is which seems pretty good for the minifigure scale. The river is basically blue plates with the transparent tiles placed on top. I did angle the sections to create the rapids type effect. To create the ripples I would place a white transparent plate and then a blue transparent tile on top. Of course I mixed in the studded plates to give it more of a ripple effect. 
It is buildable in real life which was my intention for this build (including that all the pieces exist in the colors chosen). It would need a little more internal support, but the top is held up with technic 1x16 bricks that are pinned together two wide and stretch from the rockwork to the back of the build with supporting bricks in the middle. Plates were then placed on top before adding the design. 
For the minifigures, I need to give some credit to the create indexes for LDD that are here on Eurobricks. I especially enjoy the custom torsos and pants that are available for a lot of the minifigure series. I can take that .lxf and use it to make much better figures. I did think the Shakespeare torso worked really well with the skirt combo. I was a little surprised on how nice it looked. 

2 hours ago, Puvel said:

Lovely! Great looking waterfall, the rock works is amazing as well, the flowers add nice little bits of colour. Combination of the 2 greys is nicely done as well.

Thank you! It was my first attempt at large amounts of rockwork. I think having LDD and the easy ability to delete helped me figure it out. 

Great looking waterfall, Silentwolf. It is a shame time got the better of us so that we botched our timing a bit, but I have to say, this waterfall came out brilliantly, both in terms of size and execution. I like the look of the waterfall itself, and the rockwork is really nice too, both on the front and on the back. I think the shadow below the waterfall works brilliantly, and the landscaping up top is nice. All in all great build that makes a proper entrance for a golden city!

Ahaaaa! That's where I've seen a native dressed in an official military uniform! I was sure I had stolen that idea from somewhere! :tongue: Beautiful MOC btw (great rock and water texturing) even though I've missed it when it was first posted :wink: 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, Bregir said:

Great looking waterfall, Silentwolf. It is a shame time got the better of us so that we botched our timing a bit, but I have to say, this waterfall came out brilliantly, both in terms of size and execution. I like the look of the waterfall itself, and the rockwork is really nice too, both on the front and on the back. I think the shadow below the waterfall works brilliantly, and the landscaping up top is nice. All in all great build that makes a proper entrance for a golden city!

Thank you Bregir. The shadow below the waterfall was one of my favorite intentional additions as I have often seen them beneath smaller waterfalls where the water is deeper right at the base. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Ahaaaa! That's where I've seen a native dressed in an official military uniform! I was sure I had stolen that idea from somewhere! :tongue: Beautiful MOC btw (great rock and water texturing) even though I've missed it when it was first posted :wink: 

LOL. That is indeed where, though as I said earlier the idea didn't start with me. It is hard to keep up with all the posts. I often see them but either don't have time either to examine it fully or comment then forget to come back.