Ayrlego

[COR - ChVE - Part 2 and 3] The Lost City of Gold

Previously....

The Curious Case of the Bottled Message - Bregir

The Lost City of Gold, Part 1 - Ayrlego

------

Part Two - Venturing up river

After meeting at Camp Isaac, Colonel Dirk Allcock and the rest of the Corlander expedition proceeded on their journey to find the mysterious city and Dr Albert Brickingstone. As Camp Isaac was situated at the base of a large river delta, the expedition set out in small boats up the main river into the interior of Cascadia. The 'Mardierian' map indicates the source of this river will be a large lake in the centre of the island. It is here the expedition plans on setting out overland into the central highlands to find the city. The river is long and alternates between wide expanses and smaller narrower twists. It is in one of this narrower sections the expedition spies a grim discovery. Human remains are sited on the bank, the remains of armour and helmet are confirmed to be of Eslandolan origin. So far the Mardierian story checks out....

34504165882_a08bcb8687_c.jpg

Determined to carry on, Dirk's boat takes the lead, and the expedition continues to forge up the river. 

34625346466_c7a1eb45b7_c.jpg

End of Part Two...

-----

Part Three - Returning the Golden Seal (this section is meant to come after Bregir's and SilentWolf's builds, but we have run out of time to coordinate properly...)

After discovering the lost city and; with the help of Dr Brickingstone; convincing the Myzec that the expedition's intentions were peaceful, the leader of the Myzec, High Priestess Zia, takes the leading Corlanders to the temple complex outside of the city where the stolen seal came from. The return of the seal to Zia shortly after arriving helped convince the Myzec of Corlander good intentions.

As the guide leds Colonel Allcock, Don Montoya and Lord Micah are astounded when the enter a relatively open space in the jungle and are greeted by the sight of massive step pyramids unlike anything they have ever seen before. Myzec soldiers can be seen at the base, and the High Priestess herself is at the top of the long narrow stair case leading to the top.

34488673042_f8f7b3f835_c.jpg

The golden seal has been returned and as the sun sets, the three Corlanders can be found at the base of the temple. The quest to find the city may be over and, although the city is not made out of gold... it is a cultural goldmine which Corlander scientists will sure to be studying for years to come. Colonel Allcock now must find a way to incorporate the Myzec and their city into the Empire, his work here has just began.

34650740385_15818b8d66_c.jpg

-----

As mentioned we kind of ran out of time with Part E, so the story is quite disjointed. We do plan on continuing to build the 'lost' city up over time, and the Myzec are sure to become loyal citizens of the Queen before too long. I'm sure Allcock and Montoya are already drafting the treaty as we speak! When we decide on a name I intend to licence the temple as a large cultural building.

As for the builds themselves, After searching the internet for some Mayan/Aztec style inspiration for the temple, I settled on the Mayan Tikal Temple 1 as the model for this build. Originally I was planning on trying an approx. scale version, but when I calculated that it would need to be around 190 bricks tall I decided I needed to scale back a bit! . I think this version is actually much bigger than it appears - the base is 48x64, but as usual with my larger builds, my photography skills (or lack of) fail me. Any hope everyone enjoyed challenge five as much as I did. It was unfortunate that this year has been super busy for me and I haven't had the building time I had last year and wasn't able to enter all categories. Congrats to those who did!

The forest diorama is nice, I like the trees and the minifugs on the boats, redcoats, scientist and a highlander?

The pyramid is impressive!

Really cool builds Ayrlego, that jungle scene is particularly fantastic with the curving palm trees and the temple is really imposing too!  Glad to see you took my suggestion with the priestess' cape. :pir-grin:  I think it would have helped us get a feel for the sheer size of that temple if you could have taken pictures at a slight angle but that can be tricky when you've got a build that's bigger than whatever background you're shooting against!

Looking forward to reading the rest of the story! :thumbup: 

Stunning work, Ayrlego. That jungle river is great, and the pyramid is beautiful. :thumbup:   I think I know who is going to win this category!

A couple more very nice build, Ayrlego - fantastic jungle scene (though of course I'll maintain that the Mardierians probably just bought that Eslandolan armor and left it their as a fraud :laugh: :tongue:), and very neat step-temple as well!  The zig-zagging of the sides and the colors there are the things that stand out to me most, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the story and more of this civilization! :wink:

Lovely river scene, nice variety of colors in there. Adding the skeleton is a great detail.

Finding a cultural goldmine is a great idea! 

You always do an excellent job at jungle and river scenes. I need to study your builds a little more to try and improve. That pyramid turned out really well. The mixture of colors is excellent and the height seems just right. Also nice job on the minifigure posing!

Excellent entry ! As always you did an amazing job ! Too bad you build it to help Mardier... :cry_sad:

I really like the pyramid ! (and I definitively need to build one myself !) I would have add more colours on the jungle parts by adding flowers and more animal life but the jungle is quite good like this.

And the Myzec minifigs are great !

Just a question : Is Zia inspired from the anime "The wonderfull city of gold" (real title : Taiyo no ko Esuteban) ? Because I've got the Anime song in my head since I read her name. :pir-laugh:

Excellent job !

Thank you all for the comments! Without the pressure of a deadline we'll continue to expand the city. If anyone feels like trying their hand at some meso-American themed builds, feel free to place them in Myzectlan... hmmm maybe a mini-challenge is in order? :pir-wink:

On 5/16/2017 at 5:05 AM, Garmadon said:

(though of course I'll maintain that the Mardierians probably just bought that Eslandolan armor and left it their as a fraud

It's possible... who knows?

11 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Is Zia inspired from the anime "The wonderfull city of gold" (real title : Taiyo no ko Esuteban)

Nice pick up and yes, Zia's name comes from 'The mysterious cities of gold'. The 80's version is pretty much the first television show I remember ever watching...! It came on just before dinner when I was probably around 4 or 5.

17 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Nice pick up and yes, Zia's name comes from 'The mysterious cities of gold'. The 80's version is pretty much the first television show I remember ever watching...! It came on just before dinner when I was probably around 4 or 5.

Ah great ! Sorry for having misspelled the english title, I did not knew it in english.:blush: I really loved that show when I was a kid !

Beautiful riverscape and very impressive pyramid, Ayrlego. As always, your pictures really stand out beautifully, and I very much enjoy your vegetation and landscaping.

As always, it is a pleasure collaborating with you - I only hope we (especially myself... :P ) can do a better job of timely coordination in the future! ;)