David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

9 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

City was just an example. I wish we would get minfigure packs for all themes! I even considered buying the People Pack - Fun Fair, when it was available, but at the end i don't need yellow minifigures :pir_laugh2:

As for the knights, with the medieval blacksmith, the creator castle, the big castle and the potential upcomming medieval village in mind, a knights battlepack would sell in masses. I am sure.

Well the other themed Battlepacks would be yellow minifigures also ;).

And yeah, they would sell good. I doubt that other themes would sell worse, but all the sets are creator, ideas (and actually running out this year) or Icons. And lego won´t sell any figure packs unless they have an own theme for them sadly.

13 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I never understood why there are no minifigure packs (battlepacks) for all themes on shelves. Why not have a 20€ set with 2 fire fighters, 2 police officers and a doctor and some useful parts for the city theme.

I found this set (40372: Police MF Accessory Set) from 2020 on Brickset but I haven't seen it myself in any store or in a catalog. That is the latest unlicensed minifigure pack I could find. Among licensed sets 40525: Endgame Battle from 2022 is the newest. I didn't know about these minifigure packs before I searched for them but I believe they weren't readily available. I guess the 850839: Classic Pirate Set from 2013, 853219: Pirates of the Caribbean Battle Pack from 2011 and 852747: Pirates Battle Pack from 2009 are the latest pirate related minifigure packs. As far as I know the 2015 wave of pirate sets never got a minifigure pack.

On 8/12/2023 at 11:10 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

Thanks! I like both, BTW, but since we just got new Bluecoats in Eldorado Fortress (and they will presumably reappear in any Pirates sets within the next few years), I wanted to have Redcoats for Pirates' fifth incarnation. 
BTW, these Redcoats would be colour-swaps of the EF Bluecoats, as the originals were. 

I wonder why they didn't use the Imperial Soldier torso from the 2015 wave of pirate sets in the new Eldorado Fortress since they are almost identical to the new torso print? Personally I would have wanted a reissue of the original 1989 Imperial Soldiers in the Eldorado Fortress just like they did in the Galaxy Explorer with the classic astronauts and the Blacktron minifigure (+backprint) in the Blacktron Cruiser. Why do Space get reissues but Pirates and Castle gets updated minifigs?

9 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Well the other themed Battlepacks would be yellow minifigures also ;).

Not when i think about them :pir_laugh2:

6 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

I found this set (40372: Police MF Accessory Set) from 2020 on Brickset but I haven't seen it myself in any store or in a catalog. That is the latest unlicensed minifigure pack I could find. Among licensed sets 40525: Endgame Battle from 2022 is the newest. I didn't know about these minifigure packs before I searched for them but I believe they weren't readily available. I guess the 850839: Classic Pirate Set from 2013, 853219: Pirates of the Caribbean Battle Pack from 2011 and 852747: Pirates Battle Pack from 2009 are the latest pirate related minifigure packs. As far as I know the 2015 wave of pirate sets never got a minifigure pack.

Yep, some nice minifigure packs :thumbup: Something like this i have in mind. Just some minifigs and accessories and maybe a side build with some useful parts.

But as i have said before. Generally my only real hope is a new PotC movie that could bring us a full wave of sets. Since everything takes so long in Hollywood nowadays we might wait forever... :pir-sceptic:

10 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

I wonder why they didn't use the Imperial Soldier torso from the 2015 wave of pirate sets in the new Eldorado Fortress since they are almost identical to the new torso print? Personally I would have wanted a reissue of the original 1989 Imperial Soldiers in the Eldorado Fortress just like they did in the Galaxy Explorer with the classic astronauts and the Blacktron minifigure (+backprint) in the Blacktron Cruiser. Why do Space get reissues but Pirates and Castle gets updated minifigs?

That only Lego can answer ;). But I actually think for the classic Space minifigures, that is actually what people wanted, you basically already have an updated design with the futuron minifigures - which are just less iconic than the classic space ones. So yes, I think it was the right choice there. And I think, that they did with the classic space minifigures might be the reason they did the same with the Blacktron one. I would have loved to see an updated design for that one though. 

On 8/25/2023 at 11:24 AM, Black Falcon said:

That only Lego can answer ;). But I actually think for the classic Space minifigures, that is actually what people wanted, you basically already have an updated design with the futuron minifigures - which are just less iconic than the classic space ones. So yes, I think it was the right choice there. And I think, that they did with the classic space minifigures might be the reason they did the same with the Blacktron one. I would have loved to see an updated design for that one though.  

Yeah, my feeling is that LEGO learned from feedback to some of their previous Space sets and minifigures that to a lot of AFOLs, the Classic Space minifigure's minimalist design (no visor, no torso decorations except a simple logo, and no distinguishing facial features) is practically synonymous with the faction, and see anything else as a compromise. Figures like the Minifigures Series 1 Spaceman and Series 6 Intergalactic Girl may be Classic Space inspired, but Classic Space fans didn't respond nearly as strongly to them as to Benny and his squad from The LEGO Movie and its sequel.

One possible reason for this distinction between Classic Space and other themes (or even many later LEGO Space subthemes) is that the Classic Space uniforms were not based strictly on any sort of real-world clothing. Moreover, they were simple and cartoonish even compared to any real-world spacesuits of their time, and lacked any details aside from their molded helmets and air tanks which would suggest any sort of "materiality". Were they meant to be soft cloth, rigid body armor, shiny latex, rugged pleather, or stretchy spandex? Were they fastened with zippers, buckles, or elastic? Were they made up of discrete articles of clothing like boots, belts, shirts, gloves, and trousers, or were they a one-piece bodysuit? All of those details were left up in the air, and as such any modern, "realistic" take on the Classic Space uniform would also require a level of specificity that would likely alienate (no pun intended) a significant number of old-school fans.

By contrast, LEGO Castle and Pirates minifigures took a lot of inspiration from clothing and accessories from particular real-world historical contexts. As such, it is understood that the Lion Knight and Black Falcon torsos (even with minimalist printed patterns not unlike the Classic Space torso)  represented tabards or tunics (sometimes with a silver breastplate over top), not tank tops or T-shirts. LEGO Pirates minifigures, by virtue of being introduced over half a decade later, went even further with their level of detail. Even the original Captain Redbeard/Roger minifigure's torso can be clearly understood as a layered outfit consisting of a black double-breasted overcoat with gold trim and six buttons, a green shirt and ascot, and a waistbelt and shoulder belt with gold buckles.

As such, while there is little room for LEGO to add greater detail or authenticity to Classic Space minifigures without them inherently becoming less recognizable as such, there are plenty of opportunities of that sort for LEGO Castle and Pirates. Beards can be textured more realistically (even with multiple print colors to add shading or uneven greying, as in the case of the latest Captain Redbeard minifigure). Fabric details can be wrinkled or stretched to give it a more three-dimensional appearance. And of course, some of the obvious drawbacks of the classic Imperial Soldier/Imperial Guard minifigures — that their waistcoat plackets lack a line to indicate where the right and left sides separate, and their coat colors terminate abruptly at their sides — can be addressed.

As for the reason LEGO didn't just reuse the 2015 torsos, which previously addressed these same issues? My guess is that since the 2015 torsos are already long out of production (and thus, any imperial soldier torso would be a brand-new element in terms of manufacturing cost and logistics), the design team saw this as an opportunity to redesign them with more detail (including classic-inspired details), just as they'd done with Redbeard's face and torso in Barracuda Bay. For example, Eldorado Fortress gave the imperial soldiers a square gold buckle/plate where the two belts cross, a feature of the 1989 Imperial Soldier uniform that was omitted from the 2015 version. They also give the governor a Bright Blue coat with white lapels over a white waistcoat, matching the color scheme of his soldiers and officers.

lego-2k-goooal-update-erstes-bild-1030x5

So there is a Lego soccer game which will release in the (near) future. But i want to talk about the promo picture shown above. A pirate captain is prominently featured in the picture and this again shows that Lego has not forgotten about Pirates and that Lego must consider Pirates as a important part of it's very own history as a company. There is also a a knight and a cat custume lady in the background.

So i guess it's still cool to play a Pirates charakter in a Lego video game in 2023/24. Together with the small GWPs, such as the playground or castaway and other hints to Pirates, this again shows that Pirates is not dead yet. I just wish Lego would show more panache and instead of treating AFOLs as cash cows, they would release some Pirates play sets. Or just do some POTC sets, Lego please :pir_laugh2:

I wonder if we'll get any sets to go with the game? Sure they won't be conventional Pirates or Castle or whatever sets, but it might be a good opportunity to get new minifigures for the themes. The pirate in the promo looks like he has a new torso to me (correct me if I'm wrong) but he'd fit in a serious Pirates MOC.

Can you imagine having a hook for a hand while playing a sport like soccer (football). You don't have to use your hands, so it's not going to hinder you. But at the same time, would give you an advantage, lol. 

In all seriousness though, my thoughts on a future pirate set is an Icons remake of Skull Eye Schooner. It's the next logical choice to get a remake, plus we haven't seen a black and white sails ship in quite some time. 

49 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I wonder if we'll get any sets to go with the game? Sure they won't be conventional Pirates or Castle or whatever sets, but it might be a good opportunity to get new minifigures for the themes. The pirate in the promo looks like he has a new torso to me (correct me if I'm wrong) but he'd fit in a serious Pirates MOC.

The stonewars article does not mention any sets but a polybag that was already uploaded to Lego servers last year. The polybag shows a player with a shark custume.

22 minutes ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Can you imagine having a hook for a hand while playing a sport like soccer (football). You don't have to use your hands, so it's not going to hinder you. But at the same time, would give you an advantage, lol. 

In all seriousness though, my thoughts on a future pirate set is an Icons remake of Skull Eye Schooner. It's the next logical choice to get a remake, plus we haven't seen a black and white sails ship in quite some time. 

You mean when the referee looks into an other direction? :pir_laugh2:

I agree with you. After Barracuda Bay and Eldorado Fortress the next logical choice is a ship, either a remake or a new one. Since the latest Indiana Jones sets and Rivendell, a Black Pearl remake also may be possible.

26 minutes ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

You don't have to use your hands, so it's not going to hinder you

Until the hook punctures the ball and deflates it.

I wouldn't get my hopes up here; the minifigure is just the Pirate Captain from the CMF series. Plus almost every multi-theme video game from the last 20+ years has included Pirates in some form, but it's almost never translated into more sets or figures. (We could get something like the 2K Drive set I suppose.)

3 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up here; the minifigure is just the Pirate Captain from the CMF series. Plus almost every multi-theme video game from the last 20+ years has included Pirates in some form, but it's almost never translated into more sets or figures. (We could get something like the 2K Drive set I suppose.)

I see. He is from the 2012 CMF series, that's why i didn't know him. Just checked the series and there were useful 3 minifigs, the pirate captain, conquistador and an "shakespearean" actor. Let's see what we'll get with the 2025 CMF :pir_laugh2:

majisto magic workshop is coming but they really messed up. its a hard pass

LEGO how'd you messed up majisto? one of the icons of lego. whoever messed that up at lego needs to be fired! UNACCEPTABLE!

how is messing up majisto going to rake in money for lego, you're gonna get into the debacle of going bankrupt again!

listen to the fans you'll make money!

Edited by jstarscomm

3 hours ago, jstarscomm said:

majisto magic workshop is coming but they really messed up. its a hard pass

Yep. I was excited and when I saw it instantly deflated.

On 11/8/2023 at 2:54 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

After Barracuda Bay and Eldorado Fortress the next logical choice is a ship

We just had one with the Eldorado Fortress, haha. :pir-devil:

10320_alt5.jpg

Just a joke:pir-grin:, I do wish they would do a remake of some sort of a vessel. Perhaps Imperial Flagship from 2010? 

8 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Just a joke:pir-grin:, I do wish they would do a remake of some sort of a vessel. Perhaps Imperial Flagship from 2010? 

Yeah, i too think that it's one of the candidates! The question is, how long do we have to wait? Barracuda was released in April 2020, Eldorado in June 2023, so we better prepare ourselfs for a big set comming in August 2026 :pir_laugh2:

4 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Yeah, i too think that it's one of the candidates! The question is, how long do we have to wait? Barracuda was released in April 2020, Eldorado in June 2023, so we better prepare ourselfs for a big set comming in August 2026 :pir_laugh2:

It better not be that long :pir_mad:, I think Pirates doesn't sell as well as Classic Knights or Space but Lego is stepping up remakes of Classic sets, so all we can do now is hope and wait. 

If it takes that long for a ship though, it better have some new redcoats :pir_laugh2:

For me the most annoying thing is not that we get barely any sets, but that we never know anything about the future. If only Lego could just say that there will be, for example, a big set comming in spring 2025, it would be a lot less frustrating.

5 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

For me the most annoying thing is not that we get barely any sets, but that we never know anything about the future. If only Lego could just say that there will be, for example, a big set comming in spring 2025, it would be a lot less frustrating.

Maybe yu can crypto-sleep until there is a new pirate set.

Just now, Lion King said:

Maybe yu can crypto-sleep until there is a new pirate set.

You mean cryo-sleep? Lego should just drop the info. Damn marketing :pir_laugh2:

1 minute ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

You mean cryo-sleep? Lego should just drop the info. Damn marketing :pir_laugh2:

Oops,yes i meant to say “cryo-sleep”. 

On 11/12/2023 at 11:03 PM, Jack Sassy said:

I do wish they would do a remake of some sort of a vessel. Perhaps Imperial Flagship from 2010? 

I'd definitely buy a remake of 10210 Imperial Flagship with a new more realistic bow!

8 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

I'd definitely buy a remake of 10210 Imperial Flagship with a new more realistic bow!

Listen to this man !

9 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

1 hour ago, Khargeust said:

Listen to this man !

Hear, hear! It be about time soldiers obtain a vessel to challenge Black Seas Barracuda with.