Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL] 4A Sleeping Siren

The Sleeping Siren was captured in the Great Pirate Purge of June 616. Captured by a Corrington squadron, she was auctioned off the following month and purchased by Willem Guilder of Eslandola. Much to his dismay, the ship suffered extensive damage when captured, and she has been in dry dock these last six months undergoing repairs. But the work is now done, and the Sleeping Siren is ready to join the defense of Eslandola’s colonies against Mardier.

01_fr_qtr.jpg

The ship is appropriately named, as a look at the figurehead will confirm.

03_figurehead.jpg

The crew is busy readying her for her first voyage under Eslandola colors.

04_main_deck.jpg

The captain oversees things from the quarterdeck.

05_qtr_deck.jpg

Some additional pictures: 

Spoiler

02_fr_qtr_low.jpg

06_fr_tall.jpg

00_profile.jpg

This ship had started out as a sibling to the Far Horizon, but I was working on giving this one a full interior. Alas, that work stalled while my attention moved to other builds, even though the gun deck is properly armed. Eventually I just finished her up to get her into the game.

As always, all C&C welcome.

A classical Capt Wolf ship, really nice work and another great addition (those sails man!) to the Eslandolan (look at the sails!) fleet.

Very nice ship Capt Wolf, the sails in particular look great, and the overall shape of the ship is good also.  One thing I really like about your ships is how you tile the decks - makes them look nice and clean! :thumbup:

For all of us inexperienced ship builders, this demonstrates how awesomelooking ships you can build with prefabs. I love how the yellow contrast helps define her shape. She looks solid, which is something I struggle with, even when I use the prefab. Realistic and representative color scheme. And, yeah, I noticed those sails :wink: Sweet!

That is a very nice ship and certainly embodies the style of classic pirate ships. Your choice of colors is nice and your paint scheme looks fantastic. I really like the printed sails; they are well done and add a unique element to this ship.

I might suggest adding some additional cannons to the upper decks (perhaps just in front of the windows).

Excellent ship, Capt Wolf, that color-scheme is still fantastic, and your sails are superb as well! :pir-sweet:  The slopes are somehow just perfect, the whole thing looks epic-ly Eslandolan, and the mostly LEGO rig is very nice as well! - Keep it up! 

If I had one suggestion it would be that I think the bowsprit could use being a wee little bit longer - but then, I'm actually kind of on the fence about that too, maybe it is better as is.  For what ever that's worth! :grin:

Thanks to everyone for the comments and feedback!

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:13 AM, Elostirion said:

A classical Capt Wolf ship, really nice work and another great addition (those sails man!) to the Eslandolan (look at the sails!) fleet.

I'm glad the sails are a hit. I use paper sails, so printing designs on them is an easy step to give them some character.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:42 AM, blackdeathgr said:

A nice classic ship! Very nice use of sloped bricks and also colors. I even like the size of her somehow!

The size is very similar to the classic '80s and '90s Lego ships, which I've always liked.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, Kai NRG said:

Very nice ship Capt Wolf, the sails in particular look great, and the overall shape of the ship is good also.  One thing I really like about your ships is how you tile the decks - makes them look nice and clean! :thumbup:

Thanks. Once I tiled my first ship, it became very hard to go back to studs on the decks!

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, Sir Stig said:

For all of us inexperienced ship builders, this demonstrates how awesomelooking ships you can build with prefabs. I love how the yellow contrast helps define her shape. She looks solid, which is something I struggle with, even when I use the prefab. Realistic and representative color scheme. And, yeah, I noticed those sails :wink: Sweet!

I enjoy working with the prefabs because it's my connection to those classic early Lego pirate ships. You are correct that the yellow striping really helps define the shape. I use some form of striping like that on most of my ships. And using slopes rather than hinges to get the tumblehome of the sides does make a very solid ship.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, Captain Genaro said:

That is a very nice ship and certainly embodies the style of classic pirate ships. Your choice of colors is nice and your paint scheme looks fantastic. I really like the printed sails; they are well done and add a unique element to this ship.

I might suggest adding some additional cannons to the upper decks (perhaps just in front of the windows).

The decking in front of the windows really doesn't have a place for any guns (hard to see in these pics), so I didn't include gun ports there, but I am on another ship I'm working on. I agree that would be a great place to gun 'er up.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, Mike S said:

That is a really nice ship! Nice work!

Thanks!

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, Garmadon said:

Excellent ship, Capt Wolf, that color-scheme is still fantastic, and your sails are superb as well! :pir-sweet:  The slopes are somehow just perfect, the whole thing looks epic-ly Eslandolan, and the mostly LEGO rig is very nice as well! - Keep it up! 

If I had one suggestion it would be that I think the bowsprit could use being a wee little bit longer - but then, I'm actually kind of on the fence about that too, maybe it is better as is.  For what ever that's worth! :grin:

I struggled with the length of the bowsprit on this one. It's shorter than on the Far Horizon, which is very similar, and I played around with the length a bit. For whatever reason I settled on this length, but it is a short version of the variations I tried.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:37 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

That is a fine ship with an excellent figurehead.

I like the overall shape and colour scheme!

:thumbup:

Thanks. I believe a good figurehead is a must for these captured ships. And I'm glad you like the overall shape; I'm pleased with that as well. And of course the colors are very Eslandola-ey. :pir-grin:

Another great ship from you with a fantastic colour scheme! I would like to see the stern though - it is missing from all your pictures ;)

I think I would really like to see a CGH-Style Frigate in this very same colour scheme. They can also get quite sturdy (if reinforcements are properly placed). 

On 2/13/2017 at 3:31 PM, Legostone said:

Another great ship from you with a fantastic colour scheme! I would like to see the stern though - it is missing from all your pictures ;)

I think I would really like to see a CGH-Style Frigate in this very same colour scheme. They can also get quite sturdy (if reinforcements are properly placed). 

Here's the stern. It was a bit of an experiment and didn't turn out as I had hoped. For some reason it doesn't fit together quite as well as the stern on the Far Horizon.

stern.jpg

Fantastic ship! :wub: It has a nice classic look and the colors are good. I think the period-specific design and figurehead are probably my favorite elements, and those custom sails are really nice. Oh, and the stern pic is a good addition too. Good work. :thumbup: