Kai NRG

Uncle's Palm Tree Plantation

Most of you reading this probably remember that not too long ago, Guy’s Uncle decided that Eslandians were becoming too cooperative for his taste.  Maybe he jumped the gun a little, but anyhow, he was determined not to stick around.  But in fact, no sooner was he comfortably accommodated in an outbound ship – bound, by the way, for Otoño, that being one of the least civilized places he could run off to without too much danger of pirates – than a brilliant idea occurred to him.

He’d plant a palm tree plantation, and inaugurate it with a tremendous hanging festival.

But when he talked it over with Elaine (his wife), she had an even better idea.  He’d grow these palm trees – a special variety, by the way, engineered to withstand even the heaviest debtors – and then transplant them.  With Guy’s help, he’d get legislation passed to require each city to have a grove of them in the town square.  Then no one would be able to escape the full rigor of debtor’s law!

Well, actually, that wasn’t exactly Elaine’s idea.  The conversation went more like this:

“But, honey, what are you going to do with a plantation of palm trees?  Sell coconuts?”

“No!  They’re for hanging people!”

“Yes, that’s all very well and good, but what are you actually going to do with them?  Bottle the sap for juice?  Or use the fiber to manufacture a line of doormats?”

“No!  They’re for hanging people!”

“Oh!  I have it!  Just grow a pretty variety, and you can transplant them.  People love having palm trees in their yard – it gives such an exotic flavor.  And cities will probably be glad to buy some for their squares and parks.”

From that, to selling the trees specifically as gibbets, was an instantaneous transition for Guy’s Uncle.

So, he planted a palm plantation.

31337357130_f37b7058ae.jpg

Every day, he walked the rounds, hanging a dummy on each palm tree, making sure that they would be strong enough to resist when the time came.

31710373275_434afc5915.jpg

And as soon as his first plant was ready to be transplanted...

31337337170_a04b936338.jpg

...he chartered a ship and headed back to Terreli to find Guy and get him to ram this piece of legislation through the High Council.

He was in for a rude awakening.

To be continued!

One last close-up!

31337349090_7bbc47108d.jpg

A bit of a repetitive build, but fun nonetheless.  I tried to depict the palm trees still in the growing stage, so they're young trees just ready for transplanting!
C&C welcome!

So that's where Guy's uncle went! He does seem to have a one-track mind. :pir-grin:

I really like the water and beach in this build. The kid building the sandcastle is a nice touch.

The trees look a little more like Christmas trees than palm trees to me, but what do I know. They do the job, and it's a fun story! :thumbup:

Nice build and story.  Hanging us in suspense for the next installment. :classic:

For your water, do you separate out the trans clear, lt blue, and blue when you shred your MOC? 

Lovely young plantation, although with such a pretty landscape, probably a beach resort would be a better business! Well done!

And if uncle needs it, I shall happily suggest a few candidates for hanging... :P

On 12/17/2016 at 9:07 PM, Capt Wolf said:

So that's where Guy's uncle went! He does seem to have a one-track mind. :pir-grin:

I really like the water and beach in this build. The kid building the sandcastle is a nice touch.

The trees look a little more like Christmas trees than palm trees to me, but what do I know. They do the job, and it's a fun story! :thumbup:

:pir-laugh:  Yes, they don't look incredibly like palm trees at that stage, and I would have liked to build a forest full of more full grown ones, but I sure didn't have the pieces for that!  So I did a little research, and as far as I could tell this is sort of what some varieties (there are quite a few!) look like in growing stage!

Thanks!

On 12/18/2016 at 3:50 AM, Elostirion said:

Lovely, funny, nice-looking, well-written - a classical uncle.

Waiting eagerly for continuation!

:pir-grin:  Thank you!  

On 12/18/2016 at 8:51 AM, blackdeathgr said:

A nice uncl-ish MOC and story!! Love it!

Thanks blackdeathgr!

On 12/18/2016 at 11:41 AM, dr_spock said:

Nice build and story.  Hanging us in suspense for the next installment. :classic:

For your water, do you separate out the trans clear, lt blue, and blue when you shred your MOC? 

:pir-laugh:  Nice pun!  Thanks!  Yes, I do separate it every time - I think it looks better in a MOC with semi-distinct lines of each color.  As it happened, I bumped this one as I was going out the door, so my lines got a little intermingled, but I did try to keep them more or less separate. :pir_tong2:

On 12/18/2016 at 11:57 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

The plantation looks nice - no matter how dark the inspiration behind it. :pir-grin:

:pir_laugh2:  Thanks!

On 12/18/2016 at 7:45 PM, Bregir said:

Lovely young plantation, although with such a pretty landscape, probably a beach resort would be a better business! Well done!

And if uncle needs it, I shall happily suggest a few candidates for hanging... :P

That'll probably be its destiny some day... :pir-laugh:  And Uncle is always ready to hang people.  Me on the other hand - it can be hard to find time.  :pir-grin:

Thank you!

This is a great in-character build! I was worried for a moment he had already found someone to hang. Fortunately, I read it was just a dummy. The beach front turned out pretty well and of course a boy building sand castles is a great touch!

Great idea for a plantation. I'll have to steal your idea, especially since I already have all the brick needed. :pir-grin:

On 12/20/2016 at 3:31 PM, Mengish said:

This looks like a profitable business. And like a great idea for a BoBS MOC. Congrats!

Thanks Mengish!

On 12/21/2016 at 0:28 PM, SilentWolf said:

This is a great in-character build! I was worried for a moment he had already found someone to hang. Fortunately, I read it was just a dummy. The beach front turned out pretty well and of course a boy building sand castles is a great touch!

Thank you! :pir-grin:

On 12/25/2016 at 0:06 PM, Phred said:

Great idea for a plantation. I'll have to steal your idea, especially since I already have all the brick needed. :pir-grin:

Thanks Phred - this was conveniently simple!

On 12/26/2016 at 0:20 PM, TitusV said:

Nice story, and great NPU on the un-rooted tree! :thumbup: 

Thanks Titus!  Turbans are surprisingly useful! :pir-laugh: