Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

So after scrapping the small hull and migrating over to the friends hull ... Originally had 3 mids and was having trouble getting the stearn shape ... So I borrowed a spare black hull bow as Ive seen done before.  Now I just have to figure out a new stern and decking. Then I can order the bricks for final colors.  

Still unsure about the "hawse holes" I think that's what they are called ... I may also change the bow cannons to on top of the deck instead of below

IMG_20180213_125358

Also took the advice on the masts and will be going forward with brig rigging

IMG_20180213_125346

.... Thoughts on the new direction?

I think she looks good, although I liked her proportions better on the small hull. She seems wide for her length now - perhaps adding another hull section in the middle would help?

I think perhaps her bow is getting too tall compared to her sides? Somehow looks a bit out of place.

So quick question ... When I posted the drunken monkey it was mentioned that it could be a class three (it was small prefabs and a center section)  Ive built another of similar construction but I brick built the center half the size of a prefab ... This one has a longer prow but has two flying sails a main and a top and a spanker.  Would that fall under class 2 or 3?

41 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

So quick question ... When I posted the drunken monkey it was mentioned that it could be a class three (it was small prefabs and a center section)  Ive built another of similar construction but I brick built the center half the size of a prefab ... This one has a longer prow but has two flying sails a main and a top and a spanker.  Would that fall under class 2 or 3?

Two or three sounds right, but until we see it, we cannot make a final decision.

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Two or three sounds right, but until we see it, we cannot make a final decision.

Next to The Drunken Monkey

IMG_20180218_173740

My Cranky Parrot is using the small prefab hull pieces, without a midsection. She is comfortably licensed as a class 2, and I still would consider anything with a midsection a class 3.

BUT...

Having said that, this one is quite a bit smaller than the Drunken Monkey and only marginally longer than the Cranky Parrot (which has more "mass" due to a front and aft castle). So for the sake of consistency I would license this one as a class 2 as well.

Nice design, I am looking forward to more pictures once it is finalised! :thumbup:

@Roadmonkeytj they are both very well built, you have here a pair of very decent one masted ships, are they cutters? I like the rounded sails yo used on the grey one.

without looking at the class criteria, I would expect them to be  the same class. 

On 2/19/2018 at 5:42 AM, Drunknok said:

So for the sake of consistency I would license this one as a class 2 as well.

Nice design, I am looking forward to more pictures once it is finalised! :thumbup:

I went ahead and licenced her as a class 2 FTA Redtail ... I really only made a couple changes from the picture here ... It was a trial of "custom sized paper sails" and utilizing the newer mast pieces ...

I like the way its easy to add the yards with technic parts ... But I may marry the two together in the future ... Its hard to see but I statically rigged the yards with string (although there is a center pin for support)

On 2/19/2018 at 8:22 AM, Bodi said:

@Roadmonkeytj they are both very well built, you have here a pair of very decent one masted ships, are they cutters? I like the rounded sails yo used on the grey one.

Thank you ... The one on the left is just a complete rebuild of the renegade runner (how I pictured it should have looked) the one on the right was more a trial and error in rigging and sails ... Im not as pleased with the hull shape on redtail as he monkey but It still a neat little ship imho

On 2/19/2018 at 9:31 AM, Bart said:

without looking at the class criteria, I would expect them to be  the same class. 

I was asking because when I posted The Drunken Monkey as my free class two it was mentioned that its pushing a 3 (you were still mia for that I believe)

1 hour ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Here is my first attempt at a barque style ship. I haven't added the sail yet. C&C are welcome and appreciated!

40408060841_59c0d53b9a_c.jpgBarque 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Im not familiar with barques but just looking at it she seems low in the water on the front and flat on the stern ... Other than that Its a good looking ship ... I envy your ability to crank out builds in LDD ... I struggle with bricks sometimes lol couldnt imagine not being able to hold it

34 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Im not familiar with barques but just looking at it she seems low in the water on the front and flat on the stern ... Other than that Its a good looking ship ... I envy your ability to crank out builds in LDD ... I struggle with bricks sometimes lol couldnt imagine not being able to hold it

Ok, I'll do some revisions then. Thank you!

Yeah, LDD takes a lot of practice to get quick at. I did this ship in an afternoon.

Updated and revised Barque. I raised the hull up two bricks and changed the bow and stern a little but. Put up some sails and rigging and added some more color. It's got 8 small cannons, and plenty of cargo space. She's 4 hulls long with two larger hull pieces on the ends. So I believe that puts her at about a class 5 if I'm correct. 

26540531918_d661ec6994_b.jpgBarque 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

On 2/17/2018 at 3:45 PM, Mesabi said:

Thoughts? I don't think I can make the middle curve with the parts I have, so that's out. But any other general comments?

You don't have any slopes or even plates that you can add a curve to? On the Drunken monkey I just used 1x3 slopes and it appears to have quite a bit of curve ... I question the helm directly over the rudder. And the front mast the yard is very low to the deck.

14 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

26540531918_d661ec6994_b.jpgBarque 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

I like the pattern on the sails ... But for classing Im afraid youll need to wait for the experts to chime in

14 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I like the pattern on the sails ... But for classing Im afraid youll need to wait for the experts to chime in

Lol, thank you! I don't have the Dbs to license it anyway so I've got no problem waiting for the experts.

@Roadmonkeytj: Looks good  - I do believe I agree she would be a class two. :)

@LM71Blackbird: Cool - it is hard to give much feedback when you post them first in such a high state of readiness! I do think what you have here is a xebec, though. A barque would have square sails on all mast apart from the aftmost one, which has fore and aft rig. And if you need funds, I know at least one Corlander TC which would be happy to bid on larger merchants for sale! :D

3 minutes ago, Bregir said:

@LM71Blackbird: Cool - it is hard to give much feedback when you post them first in such a high state of readiness! I do think what you have here is a xebec, though. A barque would have square sails on all mast apart from the aftmost one, which has fore and aft rig. And if you need funds, I know at least one Corlander TC which would be happy to bid on larger merchants for sale! :D

LOL! Yes, Bluerender is almost to easy to use! I knew it didn't look right as a barque, your right, she is a xebec. I'll probably wait until March before I officially post it, but then I think I could part with it! She was probably the most fun to build ship so far!

I've got another behemoth in the works (Don't worry @Bregir, I've got more small ones too!). I was inspired after seeing @Kolonialbeamter's class 10 ship, and while it may never look as good, I will certainly try! Here are a couple of pictures of it, the first one has the hull length for reference. She's pierced for 84 guns so far, but that number may increase after the top deck gets added. After I complete this one, I am planning on refitting it as a merchant ship as well. C&C are appreciated!

40449347401_12c5428ecf_c.jpgSOTL1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

40449347301_aef17a1460_c.jpgSOTL2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

40449347471_d67d231b0a_c.jpgSOTL3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Leviathan is coming to the brick seas, it seems! A very impressive project, BB.

I agree with LS that you should look into some curves in two dimensions.

Your sides are currently completely straight from bow to stern, while a true sailing ship would be widest somewhere in the middle and narrow inwards towards Bow and stern. Similarly, the middle should be lower than the bow and stern ports so you also get a lateral curve. Bodi's vessels do this very well.

Further, gunports should be staggered so they are not directly above each other.

Last, you should divide your bow sprit (and masts). Take a look at some of mine or LS's MOCs for example and notice how we divide masts. Rather than just go narrower, they consist of two (or more) spars overlapping at the tops.

That should give you something to work with ;) Looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Oh, to add to Bregir - a bit more space between gunports doesn‘t hurt on such a large vessel. 4 studs are quite balanced.