Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Not the best picture, but it really is just a slide on a swivel. :)

37450843476_4b7a81ac42_c.jpg

That's brilliant, I think you've managed to build an accurate replica of the real thing, I'm gonna steal borrow your design.:laugh:

Would it be possible for the sides of my ship to be sloped inwards? I have a lack of 1x1 slope pieces and tiles and I can't figure out if it would be worth the effort to make them sloped and just keep it vertical.

Just now, Spud The Viking said:

Would it be possible for the sides of my ship to be sloped inwards? I have a lack of 1x1 slope pieces and tiles and I can't figure out if it would be worth the effort to make them sloped and just keep it vertical.

Yes, that is possible, especially in the size you are building in. The easiest solution would be using the 1x2 brick-hinges for your technique. I would also recommend a slight change which would improve the entire shape of your hull - make the part to about the ladder straight and hinge everything from there (optionally in multiple steps so its smoother). That would look much more realistic, as the widest point of a typical Ago of Sail vessel was usually not that far forward as you have it now.

599_4.jpg

(just a random example, but the shape is accurate)

@Legostone thanks for the advice. I don't have the hinges but I think modified plates would work the same? I'm glad I've foreseen the trial and error of shipbuilding. The side should also go out before coming in using jumper plates too, yes? 

Just now, Spud The Viking said:

@Legostone thanks for the advice. I don't have the hinges but I think modified plates would work the same? I'm glad I've foreseen the trial and error of shipbuilding. The side should also go out before coming in using jumper plates too, yes? 

Yeah, basically all hinges work, those are just my favourite. 

Ideally it would go out a little bit after the bow, but with your bowshape not doing it would still work pretty well; some of the most famous lego vessels (The Persephone for example) don't do it and look just fine as is. Doing it anyways wouldn't hurt off course!

1 hour ago, Legostone said:

Yeah, basically all hinges work, those are just my favourite. 

Ideally it would go out a little bit after the bow, but with your bowshape not doing it would still work pretty well; some of the most famous lego vessels (The Persephone for example) don't do it and look just fine as is. Doing it anyways wouldn't hurt off course!

I'll likely skip this to save on tiles and to simplify the mathematics a bit :pir-grin:

On 10/5/2017 at 2:16 AM, Bodi said:

I'm gonna steal borrow your design.:laugh:

*runs off to the patent office* :pir-grin:

@Spud The Viking: Impressive work so far. I will echo LS in saying that the widest point of the hull should probably be just around the latter where the minifig is currently placed.

Are you working from some particular inspiration? Currently, I am thinking a brig or perhaps a small ship-sloop, but it would be cool to see what you are going for, and a bit easier to give advice, when it comes to placement of masts, type of rigging, etc.

And there are many ways to make the sides slope. You can also fasten your sides on a plate, that is fastened to the hull on a technic hinge a few bricks lower towards the center of the hull. It takes up a bit of space in the interior, but can create a very study construction. In my own schooner, I used old roof hinges, and I quite like how that turned out:

@Bregir I'll change my hull shape and see if I want to slope it inwards, hopefully it will not be too complicated.

A small Bricklink order came in this morning which should help an awful lot (hinges and other pirate-themed goodies)

36858819033_073f779674.jpg

An update to my build, some input required so I don't stray too far from the experts wisdom

37484688566_b5a8f74886.jpg

The white bricks indicate where the masts will be, a bit far apart I think?

37274289430_93884e23a6.jpg

A bird's eye view. Ignore the dust, the plates will be tiled over

Edited by Spud The Viking

7 minutes ago, Spud The Viking said:

An update to my build, some input required so I don't stray too far from the experts wisdom

Looking good Spud! I think you might have some trouble doing the deck, because hinge based ships are hard to deck, but good luck. 

41 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Looking good Spud! I think you might have some trouble doing the deck, because hinge based ships are hard to deck, but good luck. 

Thanks! This was why I was tempted not to do hinges but 'he who dares wins'!

Alright folks. I bricklinked a bunch of parts to build a new ship, and this is what I have so far.

36828228614_95df0d9b27_z.jpgWIP Ship by North White, on Flickr

It's a little, well, awful. I don't know what to do with it because I'm almost out of white and red bricks. The thing on the back is supposed to be a greenhouse, but it sucks. HALP!

10 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

37484688566_b5a8f74886.jpg

The white bricks indicate where the masts will be, a bit far apart I think?

37274289430_93884e23a6.jpg

A bird's eye view. Ignore the dust, the plates will be tiled over

Very nice custom hull, the curve looks good, and I think you can use more hinges on the bow, to have a more roundish effect.

4 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Alright folks. I bricklinked a bunch of parts to build a new ship, and this is what I have so far.

36828228614_95df0d9b27_z.jpgWIP Ship by North White, on Flickr

It's a little, well, awful. I don't know what to do with it because I'm almost out of white and red bricks. The thing on the back is supposed to be a greenhouse, but it sucks. HALP!

A very original design, Count Mesabi. Are you using a specific type as inspiration?

@Spud The Viking Looks like you're going for something like a Cruizer Class Brig. Go ahead and plug that into Google and enjoy a veritable feast of free data! What's going on at the bow though? She's 2 studs thick there and 1 the rest of the way down her gunwale. I won't say its wrong, you may have a good reason, but at this stage it does look awkward. Check out the "about me" section of my profile, you may find "Scorpion" and "Blanid" of particular interest. You may also find @Mr. Townsend's Pinnacle rather handy and inspirational, being of a similar design and build style.

Cheers!

@Bregir Hey that's a neat idea :wink:! If you'r going to tile the deck, as it looks like you gearing up to, why not just go SNOT? Ya know, I've done a lot of work on the style you seem to be adopting and I do find it to be the best way to get a good fit. My decks aren't all that galling, are they :cry_sad:?

@Bodi I'm fresh out of hinges, even after a Bricklink order so I'm afraid it won't be that round. 

@kurigan I'll have a look at the class of ship later and thanks for the links to previous builds, it's always nice to how others have done it. The 2 stud wide bow is a black of thinner black pieces :pir_laugh2:. I'll change the yellow bricks to 4x1s. Should I include an upper deck for the whole ship (probably change the class) or stick to an open gun deck?

Thanks all for opinions and advice, I've never attempted a proper ship at this scale and the more criticism - the better!

Personally, I would take away the upper hull piece at the stern, and lower the cabin to sit directly on the lower hull piece. And then I would lower the cabin a bit too.

In official lego sets, I know the cabin is always placed on top of the deck, but in reality, it would be below the the (quarter or poop) deck. In early age of sail, the curve of the whole hull and the stern and forecastles would place the cabin higher, but it would never be a box on top of the hull.

Look at Bodi's recent silent Mary how the cabin is integrated in the hull, as an example. At this scale and with the bricks available you may not achieve the same, but it shows what I mean. :)

Hope this was helpful /useful :)

Got some new WIP shots of the WTC Judgement. I scrapped everything, and started over. It helped that my giant Bricklink order arrived. :classic:

Only have built the stern today.

37910754901_3bc3a3bcc6_z.jpgWTC Judgement WIP by North White, on Flickr

37862324216_f892592753_z.jpgWTC Judgement WIP by North White, on Flickr

37910753721_b858be6ce3_z.jpgWTC Judgement WIP by North White, on Flickr

I'm thinking she'll end up being a class 8, but I won't know until she's finished.

Thoughts so far? I know I need to do more detailing, and that's why I've got some 90º bricks on the hull. 

So far she looks like a military hispital ship. The colours, that red cross tile...

Edited by Drunknok

Just now, Drunknok said:

So far she looks like a military hispital ship. The colours, that red cross tile...

I mean, I guess. I just had the red cross tile laying around. It's supposed to look like a 74 gun ship,  but with the yellow replaced with red, because we're corries.

Looks like a large merchant ship @Mesabi, maybe a galleon?

I wouldn't limit yourself to red/white/black in the future. Yes, it's our colours, but I'm using yellow and black like Oleon (and it's historical to Britain) and plenty of other Corries use a variety of different colours.

A quick suggestion on top of what I wrote earlier, Mesabi.

"Real ships have curves!" :pir-wink:

I would suggest building in some curvature of the hull. You can do so by maintaining the current bow and stern height (Although I would still suggest lowering the lower part of the cabin), but lowering the middle a brick or two in height, and gently sloping it towards the stern and bow. The current, very straight lines makes her look more like modern steel ships.

A good example of a simple but effective curve can be found here:

And if you really feel like experimenting, widening her a bit in the middle, and perhaps giving her some tumblehome, could add even more to her elegance. :pir-classic:

12 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Got some new WIP shots of the WTC Judgement. I scrapped everything, and started over. It helped that my giant Bricklink order arrived. :classic:

Only have built the stern today.

WTC Judgement WIP by North White, on Flickr

I'm thinking she'll end up being a class 8, but I won't know until she's finished.

Thoughts so far? I know I need to do more detailing, and that's why I've got some 90º bricks on the hull. 

Sorry mate, I'll bummer right now, she is one midsec too short for a class 8 :)

She has 5 midsecs, the same as Margot and that one is a class 7 :)

Class 8 vessels should have 6 midsections.

Also, don't just claim it is a 74 gun vessel... If she is, then we need to see 37 guns at both sides. Ofcourse not all of them need to be molded guns and some of them can be replaced by closed gunports, but we need to see 37 entities at both sides...

Now: 37 guns at both sides, that means 15 guns at every level (considering a class 8 is a big two decker) and 7 guns on the deck, making 30 + 30 + 14.

I am not really seeing how you will cram this all into this vessel, especially since you already have one useless level (the complete white hull). If you would have put already some guns on that level, your dreams would be already more realistic.

What I mostly fear is that you put 2 (or 3 :o ) complete levels above your hull, making your vessel a square with sails instead of a rectangle/saucisse with sails

Edited by Maxim I