Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade

Thank you. That's a good tip indeed. I have been struggling with making a frontpage image clickable.

However, please note that changing the embedded image size does not actually make oversized images smaller, because it will still load the oversized image. Instead, upload a smaller image (or use a smaller image size that sites like flickr serve) and embed this smaller image.

Not sure if this a known issue (and being left for when more important things are done) but not all of the smileys are back, and some are duplicated.

When typing a post, pressing "home" or "page up" etc doesn't move the cursor any more, but instead scrolls the page to the top or bottom. I used to use cmd+up (or other direction) for that stuff, now it seems it moves the cursor instead. So no complaints, but I'm sure I'll do the wrong one every time for a while...

On 01/10/2016 at 4:37 AM, Blackpool said:

I have a question and I apologize if its been answered already. Is there a setting for the activity feed so when I click on a thread it takes me to the first unread post instead of page 1?

It has, but all you need to do is click on the icon to the left of the thread name. It should be a Lego brick, a circle or a star. This feature was present before the upgrade.

I just used the site on my tablet for the first time, and I have to say, posting worked a lot better, especially images!

First of all: Thanks a lot to all the maintainers for this forum and your hard work on the upgrade, I do like it very much (well, I've been here only a couple days before the upgrade anyways :grin:) and it's still easy to create posts here. No problems at all on my side...

...well, maybe a minor annoyance: Do we get our customized banner pictures back? I do miss the picture change when I move over to the trains forum, it's a little bit of personality loss to me. Bring back Conductor Charlie please :classic:

whoa what a changes! i don't like everything but i guess thats just a case of getting used to it. thank you admins for all the work you have done! and by the way,j is the upgrade finished already?

I was a bit taken aback by the changes but I got used to the new look quickly enough. I use the site on a pretty basic level, so many of the new features (or lack of the old ones) dont really faze me. Anyway, I want to add my thanks and appreciation to the staff for putting in their free time for such a huge task. Hopefully such updates will remain few and far between, and another one wont be needed for a long, long time...

I do want to ask, will the numbering of posts in a thread return? I sometimes used it to remember if a post was near the top or bottom of a page... not a big deal, just wondering.

Hmmm, is there a way to jump right to the first unread post in a topic? When I open them from the unread content-page, it brings me always to the start of the thread :look:

3 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

Hmmm, is there a way to jump right to the first unread post in a topic? When I open them from the unread content-page, it brings me always to the start of the thread :look:

On 02/10/2016 at 5:03 PM, Artanis I said:

...all you need to do is click on the icon to the left of the thread name. It should be a Lego brick, a circle or a star. This feature was present before the upgrade.

Whoops! Mission accomplished to ask a totally redundant question... next time I will look more carefully.:blush: Thank you! :classic:

In case this hasn't been mentioned:

When your window width is narrower than a certain value which happens to be about half of my screen width, so not small, (in safari 9.1.3 on a mac) then the activity and browse menu bar and the search is not shown in the portal screen. So there are no links , only the articles, and a visitor is left wondering where to go.

Then if you are in the forums you do not see the directory structure Home > Forums > Frontpage... so again hard to navigate.

Overall I do not like the upgrade, the paragraph breaks instead of carriage returns, lots of plain white background, big font, I would hope its some settings I could change but it just doesn't display well for me and it makes it unpleasant to read.

Edit: So the board looks nice on an ipad mini, guess its just my mac settings.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:03 AM, Artanis I said:

Not sure if this a known issue (and being left for when more important things are done) but not all of the smileys are back, and some are duplicated.

When typing a post, pressing "home" or "page up" etc doesn't move the cursor any more, but instead scrolls the page to the top or bottom. I used to use cmd+up (or other direction) for that stuff, now it seems it moves the cursor instead. So no complaints, but I'm sure I'll do the wrong one every time for a while...

It has, but all you need to do is click on the icon to the left of the thread name. It should be a Lego brick, a circle or a star. This feature was present before the upgrade.

Ah thank you!

On 9/26/2016 at 6:58 PM, pittpenguin123 said:

You have to scroll really far to the left to see the mobile menu pop-up on chrome browser on a nexus 5 phone.

This is in landscape. You can't see it at all in portrait

I would like to move that menu to the bottom left, since that is where your thumb is likely to be. I'm not sure why Invision put it in the upper right. That's not best practices for responsive design. I think it's an easy fix... :wacko: I'll see what I can do. Chrome on Nexus, though, I have no way to check and my iPad is old. I may need you to help me test this or anyone on the same platform.

Also, I may lock this thread as I attempt to catch up with the list.

The increased avatar size is jarring and space-consuming on mobile, although the shrunken member badges are certainly an improvement!

Edit: The issue appears resolved. Thank you, Hinkley.

Edited by Sir Gareth

On 9/27/2016 at 11:16 AM, Darkdragon said:

1. Click the menu button on the page (the three bars icon on the top right).

This is called a "hamburger menu." :laugh:

On 9/24/2016 at 10:31 AM, TheWarden said:

But, opinions aside, the amount of light grey text is terrible design. Light grey text on white for signatures, Light grey text on white for times, light grey text on light yellow at the top for Browse, light grey text on light blue under the "activity" pages, light grey on light blue at the bottom for "Accepted file types... something or other." The last two are heinous and actually unreadable!

I've gone through a few pages here and this has been mentioned several times but no admin response on it I saw. Please, please consider changing these if they are not part of the rollout or if there isn't a different template we can use. I can't see myself spending time here if I can't see half the site, and I'd really miss the community.

The control for this is used in several places throughout the site. It's the default in your signatures...so you all have control over it. Edit your signatures to display darker text...and guess what? There will be darker text. I'll see what I can do about where else it appears but I can't change it just for signatures until I catalog where else it appears.

On 9/24/2016 at 9:48 PM, CM4Sci said:

Much better.. front page needs work (too wide) and maybe darken some things if possible. 

Too wide for what? Desktop? Mobile? What device? What operating system? What browser? :wall:

On 9/24/2016 at 4:43 PM, Flipz said:

Urgh...the search function now only goes back a year at most.  That's...that's completely useless. :hmpf_bad:

The site search has always been sub par. Use Google.

On 9/23/2016 at 6:55 PM, nerdsforprez said:

What I wanted to say was "days" doesn't help me.   Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mean "days" from a solution? 

As had been mentioned several times up to that point, I meant it would take days to process the BBcode into HTML for the older posts. At this point, that completed days ago.

On 9/23/2016 at 10:57 AM, JJ2 said:

@Bonaparte

I am pretty sure the signature text has been brought up before but I think its a little to light, maybe something a little darker would be better

Edit your signature and use a darker color.

Ad issue or first item in the frontpage pushing wide? On an ipad mini.

Cant insert the screenshot because its bigger than 0.1MB

Currently the green fort item at the start of the body of the front page pushes all the way over the right menu, outside the page and across the grey border to the edge of the screen. There is a floating ad on top of the article around the location of the right column, however the ad has no x to close it so it covers the article.

I fixed the frontpage post concerned.

The issues on some mobile devices (having to scroll to the right for the "hamburger" menu) are due to the Google ads at the bottom of the page not scaling properly on all devices/browsers. We're looking into this.

The ads should respond to the screen sizes now which should fit the hamburger menu to the size of the screen, no matter what device you're on. If you're still having the problem, update your device OS and the app or browser your visiting the site on. If you're still having a problem, let me know what device and browser, version, as much info you have, please.

Thank you.

@Rick and @Hinckley I can confirm for both Android M and IOS 9, that the hamburger menu position is fixed and that the ads banner sizes are now sized according to the device screen width. Thanks for the hardwork. :thumbup:

Tested using on the latest version of Safari and Chrome.

Yay, some noticable improvements have happened! The Quote button has been moved (I think the new position is so much better for just reading through a topic) and the mobile version is finally working properly! Great work, all you admins :pir-grin:!

10 hours ago, Legostone said:

Yay, some noticable improvements have happened! The Quote button has been moved (I think the new position is so much better for just reading through a topic) and the mobile version is finally working properly! Great work, all you admins :pir-grin:!

I noticed both of those as well.  Good job, Staff!

Not sure where else to put this (I tried searching the forum, honest!), but my post count was reset (and doesn't increase when I make new posts) and my avatar was deleted. Anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks!

19 hours ago, adalric said:

Not sure where else to put this (I tried searching the forum, honest!), but my post count was reset (and doesn't increase when I make new posts) and my avatar was deleted. Anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks!

Weird... I manually set your post count to 102 (the number of posts I could find for you) and your rank to Citizen accordingly. Let's see what happens when you try to post again.