Forresto

LEGO Star Wars Pricing Discussion Thread

I really wish the famous ''price per part'' of 100 per 10$ could get the hell away. Sure it's simple and convenient but it doesn't tell the whole story. Size, mass and number of figs is really what matters. 

The Snow Speeder looks at least 20-30$ US over priced. Especially since they could have ditched the mini-figs to keep the cost down; I'm not agaisn't mini-figs with over-sized UCS sets when in good taste but these two feel out of place in this case. 

Guys, I hate to break it to you..but the famous 'ten cents per piece' average was going strong around fifteen years ago.  There are so many factors that go into pricing that unless you're working for LEGO...and even then you may not have all the information.

Don't get me wrong, I cannot stand some of their set prices, but if you're smart and able to figure things out, you can always find a good deal.

LEGO prices ain't that bad.  I'm trying to find a limited run bottle of Scotch that came out earlier this month.  Sold for about $110 USD.  It is now well over $250 and it's been less than thirty days.

But hey, everyone has their gripes right?

Just now, Stash2Sixx said:

Guys, I hate to break it to you..but the famous 'ten cents per piece' average was going strong around fifteen years ago.  There are so many factors that go into pricing that unless you're working for LEGO...and even then you may not have all the information.

Don't get me wrong, I cannot stand some of their set prices, but if you're smart and able to figure things out, you can always find a good deal.

LEGO prices ain't that bad.  I'm trying to find a limited run bottle of Scotch that came out earlier this month.  Sold for about $110 USD.  It is now well over $250 and it's been less than thirty days.

But hey, everyone has their gripes right?

You're right. Pricing is one of the more complicated things to monitor and even analyse unless you have insider info. I used to work for a fast moving goods company as a consultant. Saying that price determination is as simple as looking at the size, mass, colour or any attributes simply just won't give the whole picture why LEGO sets are priced like that. Even simple factors like local holidays, current supplier pricing, packaging, freight costs and even promotional exclusives (freebies) can affect the margin of the product -- this can cause an upswing to localised prices. Australia is not the worse market to use an example. I'm not saying this to gain sympathy from "those who got it worse" but that is just the reality when products are available globally.

There are some macroeconomics fundamentals playing as well. For example, the Malaysian Ringgit currency had been devalued a little bit after the global oil price index declined -- now the local pricing are slightly higher than usual (as much as 20% higher). Some would say it's catching up on Singapore's local pricing but I decline to comment about that.  All other factors more familiar to the consumers are always easier to blame, including price per piece.

I don't conform to "limited availability" so I don't get the mentality some collectors employ when buying sets on day 1.... The market will adjust to demand and supply -- if no one buys UCS sets they will be discounted soon one way or another. That already happened many times and it will happen again and again.

I'm surprised by the UK RRP for the Snowspeeder (£169.99) which is the original (pre-Brexit) price for both the Slave 1 & TIE Fighter.  I'd initially expected that TLG would price it at their revised price point of £179.99, so it almost seems quite reasonable.  The £ has remained fairly static against the US $ for the last 6 months, but risen against the € so perhaps the 'baseline' is calculated against that; I guess that's logical.  I'll be happy to order one on 4th May unless there's a cracking deal on something else; I don't expect the 40% discount will be available for more than a handful of smaller sets, but you never know! :classic:

The £169 price for this set seems like a reasonably priced breath of fresh air compared to the recent pricing of exclusives such as Assault on Hoth, 66 Batcave & Death Star all being over £200 and then £400 respectively.

It just looks like really nice, well proportioned and well made model of one of my favourite ships in the SW universe so I'm perfectly happy with how it's all turned out including the price.

Well hello, I just wanted to start a discussion about the recent battle pack price increase 

I honestly think this is rediculous. $15 for the new First Order transport battle pack.

What do you think about this?

why is there such a large increase?

will this continue? 

I'm not going to purchase any more battle packs unless they are Clone trooper battle packs (which Disney does not want to make). Hopefully the lego community has a strong response in revolt of this increase.

Yeah, I don't care for it either. Before it was like getting a minifigure for $3, but now it's closer to $4. Sure, if I'm just getting one at the store I might not mind, but I'll certainly wait until they're on sale before I buy them en masse.

Hello, just a small side note there is a thread here: 

You may find some past discussions on this same topic :classic:

On the topic though, obviously I wish it was the old price, but given the bounty hunter pack having such excellent figures I'm willing to make an exception. On the current battlepacks I feel like its pretty reasonable to just wait a month or two till it goes down $5. The first order Pack isn't bad either, but the bounty hunter pack I'd say is certainly worth the increase per figure.

Oh, and yeah I'm betting the price will stay the same. Honestly compare the old price with a microfighter. The microfighter has only 1 minifig when for $3 more you could get 3 more minifigs. I honestly feel like under those conditions microfighters appear as a bit of a ripoff. I guess this sort of brings things in line. Not saying I like it though, just stating some possible reasoning.

Edited by FishW

Just now, FishW said:

obviously I wish it was the old price, but given the bounty hunter pack having such excellent figures I'm willing to make an exception. On the current battlepacks I feel like its pretty reasonable to just wait a month or two till it goes down $5. The first order Pack isn't bad either, but the bounty hunter pack I'd say is certainly worth the increase per figure.

I think that's exactly what LEGO wants you to think.

It's like the CMF price hikes, with The LEGO Batman Movie series price hike everyone went "oh it's ok, it's licensed" and so LEGO successfully sneaked in a price hike.

I do think this Battle Pack price hike will continue, and LEGO is just giving us the Bounty Hunter BP to appease us.

1 hour ago, Franklinw1234 said:

What were they before this? $13 right?

The new battle packs are now $15 sadly. The ones that will be released in 2017. I hope they don't continue to raise prices

37 minutes ago, FishW said:

Hello, just a small side note there is a thread here: 

You may find some past discussions on this same topic :classic:

On the topic though, obviously I wish it was the old price, but given the bounty hunter pack having such excellent figures I'm willing to make an exception. On the current battlepacks I feel like its pretty reasonable to just wait a month or two till it goes down $5. The first order Pack isn't bad either, but the bounty hunter pack I'd say is certainly worth the increase per figure.

Oh, and yeah I'm betting the price will stay the same. Honestly compare the old price with a microfighter. The microfighter has only 1 minifig when for $3 more you could get 3 more minifigs. I honestly feel like under those conditions microfighters appear as a bit of a ripoff. I guess this sort of brings things in line. Not saying I like it though, just stating some possible reasoning.

Yea I agree you get figures worth more than $3 with that battle pack, however for the sake of army building it is awful. I mean it's not like someone is going to go out and purchase 30 bounty hunter battle packs, but for the sake of stormtrooper/clone battle packs it increases a 25% on the figure. I would rather buy off of eBay. I guess inflation does have some play behind this increase.

I don't think $2 is a huge price increase, but if it increases by the year that won't be very good. I'm still getting the bounty hunter battlepack though. That is definitely worth the $15.

37 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I think that's exactly what LEGO wants you to think.

It's like the CMF price hikes, with The LEGO Batman Movie series price hike everyone went "oh it's ok, it's licensed" and so LEGO successfully sneaked in a price hike.

I do think this Battle Pack price hike will continue, and LEGO is just giving us the Bounty Hunter BP to appease us.

Yes I agree. It's a scam so that when the real battle packs come out with normal figures the increase is not worth it at all. Buying 1 or 2 is fine, but on mass quantity it really hurts your pocket.

Just now, Franklinw1234 said:

I don't think $2 is a huge price increase, but if it increases by the year that won't be very good. I'm still getting the bounty hunter battlepack though. That is definitely worth the $15.

That one certainly is. However when buying dozens of these it hurts. You're missing out on 3-4 battle packs essentially. But for small buyers it is not that big of a deal

46 minutes ago, DarthHank said:

Yeah, I don't care for it either. Before it was like getting a minifigure for $3, but now it's closer to $4. Sure, if I'm just getting one at the store I might not mind, but I'll certainly wait until they're on sale before I buy them en masse.

Yes exactly. For mass quantities now we will have to wait for sale  before buying them. I hope that sends a mesage to lego about the price.

I my region they have cost 20$ USD for years now, I only hope they don't jack the price where I am.  I wish the price would drop to15$ because that sounds dreamy to me tbh. 

7 hours ago, Lobot said:

I'm surprised by the UK RRP for the Snowspeeder (£169.99) which is the original (pre-Brexit) price for both the Slave 1 & TIE Fighter.  I'd initially expected that TLG would price it at their revised price point of £179.99, so it almost seems quite reasonable.  The £ has remained fairly static against the US $ for the last 6 months, but risen against the € so perhaps the 'baseline' is calculated against that; I guess that's logical.  I'll be happy to order one on 4th May unless there's a cracking deal on something else; I don't expect the 40% discount will be available for more than a handful of smaller sets, but you never know! :classic:

I don't think there would be a need to revise pricing just yet on LEGO's part. Once the UK is officially divorced from the rest of the EU and new treaties and laws take effect for trade then perhaps you may see a significant shift in pricing. 

1 hour ago, Japanbuilder said:

I my region they have cost 20$ USD for years now, I only hope they don't jack the price where I am.  I wish the price would drop to15$ because that sounds dreamy to me tbh. 

Oh wow it is really expensive there. I hope we don't become like that 

Hmmm. I don't think anyone cares for price increases! But I get it and I'm with you OP... until you mentioned the boycott. No way am I missing out on these sweet battlepacks coming up. If anything, I'll just buy less of them. 

9 hours ago, darththeling said:

Hmmm. I don't think anyone cares for price increases! But I get it and I'm with you OP... until you mentioned the boycott. No way am I missing out on these sweet battlepacks coming up. If anything, I'll just buy less of them. 

Buying on small quantities, the price has little effect, but as you mentioned people won't buy as many anymore.

They've been €15+ (actually around €18 everywhere) here (Netherlands) for as far as I can remember. You can find them cheaper on amazon, but if you really want to buy 20+ battle packs why don't you find a smaller retailer and ask for discount? If there is nothing in your area you can always try Bricklink sellers and/or online deals. 

I don't mind the price as it is right now. I don't think they can ask more than 18-20$/€ unless they give you an extra minifig, so I don't see them apply another price raise. 

Honestly, raising the prices of battle packs seems less like a blatant cash grab and more like an adjustment to keep the prices of battle packs in line with the prices of other sets in the Star Wars theme (most of which have risen considerably over the last few years).  Objectively speaking, battle packs are still a good deal ($15 per pack equates--to most AFOLs, at least--to $3.75 per minifigure plus a pile of spare pieces, which is a far better deal than microfighters or collectible minifigures).  So, objectively speaking, the price increase is no big deal.

In this case, though, it is difficult for me to be objective.  That's because I'm a bargain shopper.  I typically only buy sets after they've been discounted.  Battle packs used to be the only sets I would pay full price for, precisely because they were such a good deal.  Now that they are priced less competitively, I will wait until they go on clearance before I buy any.

Ultimately, the price increase is an inconvenience to me; but it was probably a necessary change.

The only people okay with this are people who didn't get to buy the originals for their glorious $9.99. Yeah have fun throwing even more money away for the same product.

as far as I'm aware, the price is staying the same in the UK (correct me if i'm wrong). But at the current price of £11.99, which is too much already in my opinion, I hope it doesn't increase again...

As previously mentioned we already have a Star Wars Pricing Thread (link) so I'll merge this thread with it :classic:

And, the simple answer for this is to wait for the sales...  In the UK, you can usually get non-exclusive sets at 30-40% at various times of the year which can be very useful if you're intending to buy multiples of them.  Last year I managed to buy several First Order BPs at 50% off from my local supermarket, so it's well worth looking around.

Battle packs are RRP $23 here in Australia (We can usually find them for $19, or get them for $15 on clearance if we wait until the end of the year). Watching everyone complain about a $15 price tag instead of $12 is kind of funny.

americans are hilarious. they complain about lego bps costing 15 dollars, and then they tip 20% in restaurants. or maybe that's the reason why they complain so much.