VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

At first I was like "Oh this must just be a Lego Brand Store thing..."

Now I'm fearing the worst...

tahu_issue.jpg

Keep in mind that Tahu has only been out for about 5 months! This better not be the new norm.

Edited by Penkid11

Of course, the latter couldbe interpreted as a result of Tahu selling really well.

Still, the fact that Lambda's tale is at least the third such instance reported here is rather disquieting.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

Just to add to this, here in Austin, I was told something similar-the store will no longer have Bionicle products, and that I could order them online. There was no mention of the theme being discontinued or of it being online-only, but it ties in with what we've been seeing.

See the lego store near me has the entire 2016 line up and the summer 2015 still out, with a store display too. So I wouldn't call it all doom and gloom just yet, I'm not sure that individual stores say much about the future of the line. Maybe they do, but we're only a little over a year into bionicle g2, I think it's too early to tell.

At first I was like "Oh this must just be a Lego Brand Store thing..."

Keep in mind that the Lego Store had a massive promotion all April. And Tahu is probably one of the more popular Toa. And he's the only Bionicle set with the availability disclaimer.

On the physical Lego Store woes, this past weekend I visited one of my Lego stores and the Bionicle section was a bit.... scarce. I didn't talk to an employee or anything, but it was interesting and worrisome that the once-prominent Bionicle section had been moved to the back, squashed in between the Lego stationery and remaining Chima sets.

Honestly, I at least hope we get one final wave in 2017 (apologies if this does not belong to this topic in particular...would be very grateful to be pointed to the direction of that topic) and that it's not a repeat of the Stars...like six toa with new designs and a big Makuta would be completely fine with me....I'm just worried they might not even bother with that wave....but that's probably just my own insecure feelings regarding the theme :( and ill explain the last sentence by saying that I feel the designers for Bionicle have been super awesome...but the sets feel like the ideas were under constant constraints by someone.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

and ill explain the last sentence by saying that I feel the designers for Bionicle have been super awesome...but the sets feel like the ideas were under constant constraints by someone.

Surely all LEGO sets are under the constraints of the market? I never got the impression that Gen2 had notably less design freedom than other themes, the humanoid constant aside.

Just got Pohatu and Ketar today! Ketar is certainly an odd build, but his function is quite fun and effective provided you connect the arm gears at the right angles. Pohatu's back armor leaves a lot to be desired compared to the other 2016 Toa I've built, but I do like his arm build, his color scheme is quite nice (even with the blinding green of his lower arms), and his weapon is loads of fun. They also look much better combined than I had expected, even though I'd still consider it a less effective combination that Lewa and Gali's.

Now Tahu, Onua, and their creatures are the only sets I don't have. I'd been planning on holding off until a sale or promotion, but all these anecdotes about Bionicle's sales might scare me into picking them up sooner. That, and ever since making a much more impressive Wairuha than I'd expected to be able to do with the new Gali, Kopaka, and Lewa, I'm kind of itching to give Akamai a shot.

Just got Pohatu and Ketar today! Ketar is certainly an odd build, but his function is quite fun and effective provided you connect the arm gears at the right angles.

That, and ever since making a much more impressive Wairuha than I'd expected to be able to do with the new Gali, Kopaka, and Lewa, I'm kind of itching to give Akamai a shot.

Yeah, Ketar is awesome. His gear function is my fave of the creatures.

Uniter Wairuha and Akamai? Um yes please! :excited:

Yeah, Ketar is awesome. His gear function is my fave of the creatures.

Uniter Wairuha and Akamai? Um yes please! :excited:

Thanks! This just made me realize that I'd never shared pictures of my Wairuha on this site yet. I suppose it'd be okay to share the pictures in this topic? The pictures aren't the best because my lighting isn't good today, and I might continue to tweak the design (I'd really love to make a Creature Kaita for it, among other things), so I don't feel like making it its own topic just yet. For now, here's Wairuha: Great Uniter of Wisdom!

Front View

Back View

Edited by Lyichir

I got Gali the other day and she's a pretty decent set. The weapon leaves something to be desired but the color scheme is fantastic and the asymmetry works well. She looks even better with Akida on her back with the tail and all. That just leaves Ketar for me, who's coming in the mail along with the 2nd graphic novel everyone is talking about. Hopefully they'll be here in a couple days.

I went and ordered Graphic Novel 2 a few day ago from Indigo. I grabbed Akida so I could get free shipping. I wanted to get her but was going to wait for a price drop. But buying her on indigo along with Graphic Novel 2 so I could get free shipping was just as good a decision

Is it certain that Akida is a she, though? Since the most masculine Protector turned out to be female…

I don't think it's quite clear—on the website I'm fairly sure all the creatures use genderless pronouns, though I don't know if that's canon (since Lego websites are often woefully imprecise when it comes to uncertain character genders).

Edited by Lyichir

We knew almost from the start that the protectors and villagers at least had a gender defined to them, as they have fathers, children etc.

From what we know the creatures have existed for as long as the island itself and are more like manifestations of the elements rather than just being animals with elemental powers.

They have no need to reproduce either, so I doubt they would need a gender to begin with.

One could argue that because Umarak is a manifestation of darkness and is defined as he the creatures should also have gender defined to them.

Edited by GK733

Ok can someone please explain this to me? I went to a local Lego store, they had only two Bionicle sets and told me they would not be getting anymore, using the word 'discontinued' when I asked why this was...this was the same place I asked a few months ago and they said exactly the same thing then. Today, I visited yet another lego store, which only had protectors and scorpios available on sale. I asked about them having more of the sets, they said that Bionicle has become online purchase only to make room for other themes....they did not confirm that the theme would be discontinued however. What does all this mean? I get that Bionicle is likely not continuing beyond 2017, but Im puzzled by the remarks made by different Lego approved stores.

Well, to me the opposite happened; I still see the sets in my local Toys R Us (although there are very few of Terak left), but when I check online there's absolutely nothing. There are no LEGO Stores nearby for me to check, though.

And before anyone asks, I live in Portugal

Frankly, this whole discussion is leaving me worried. So far I've only got Umarak and the Unity set; I was going to wait a few more months and save some money before buying the others, but now I'm afraid there won't be any left...

Conspiracy theory time: LEGO has strategically planned all of this to get us to buy their products.

However Probability of that is not likely in my eyes.

We knew almost from the start that the protectors and villagers at least had a gender defined to them, as they have fathers, children etc.

From what we know the creatures have existed for as long as the island itself and are more like manifestations of the elements rather than just being animals with elemental powers.

They have no need to reproduce either, so I doubt they would need a gender to begin with.

One could argue that because Umarak is a manifestation of darkness and is defined as he the creatures should also have gender defined to them.

This actually makes a lot of sense. I haven't watched JtO yet so I don't know a whole lot of this years story. In fact, I have Lewa, Uxar, Gali and Pohatu but I haven't built them yet. Just too busy lately...

@ Junior Shark: (sorry I can't quote, I'm using Internet Explorer...) Quite frankly, Umarak the Destroyer is a total mess in my eyes... ugly head, loads of gaps and exposed structural bits. If I get any of the summer sets, it'll be Lava Beast... he actually looks kind of interesting, but he's not exactly good. Toa Ekimu just looks weird with that color imbalance, and the other two beasts are too weird and under-armored to consider.

For availability, my Target only has the $20-$25 sets and empty slots for the smaller ones.

Edited by PicnicBasketSam

Neat. But I can't say I'll be getting any. Not really excited for this wave.

Though I'm really interested in seeing Storm Beast's function in action. Don't believe we got footage of that have we?

Yay!!!

http://brickset.com/...images-released

You know, I wasn't too into Ekimu the Mask Maker....but since getting his Protector version....I think I'll pick this one up. He looks pretty solid and fun to play around with.

And I still ain't. But I knew from the start it's gonna be a hit outside us hard-core fans.

It's as good sales magnet as Tahu but it's even cheaper.