just2good

Disney Collectible Minifigures Series 1 Discussion

71011 - Minifigures Series 16

71012 - Minifigures Disney

71014 - Probably DFB

I hope for Monsters Inc characters.

71013 is CMF Series 16

Oddly enough, it seems 71014 will be released before 71013

Where is it confirmed that some of these will have molded heads? I believe it's likely, but since when is it official?

amazingbricks said it a couple of pages back:

Can't wait for this series! Looking forward to hook and pan. Those of you not wanting a head mold for hook, you're in bad luck. More than half the series will have molded heads. There's going to be a small amount of regular heads.

Edited by Robert8

If I recall correctly, someone said it here in this thread a couple of pages back

Just because someone said it, doesn't mean it's confirmed. Considering that LEGO and Disney combined will likely keep this under ultimate secrecy, I'm very hesitant to believe in sourceless information out of the blue.

I think it's quite likely that we'll get molded heads even for the "normal" looking human characters, i.e. the ones that would be face characters in the parks. Disney is tetchy about its trademarked character designs to the point of absurdity. I consider it a minor miracle that we got Princess minidolls with the same head design as Friends.

It's because Hasbro has the rights to superhero action figures, and individual CMFs would violate that contract.

No doubt Lego like you to think that they are tied by action figure contracts, so they can have the simple unconfirmed rumour that they cannot do cheap packs containing licensed minifigs not because they don't want to but because they are not allowed to, as that means people have to buy expensive sets to get them.

Same with the magnets being glued. There was always the rumour that this was down to licensing. I think a more plausible explanation was that people were buying them instead of the sets they came in so Lego put a stop to it.

I think it's quite likely that we'll get molded heads even for the "normal" looking human characters, i.e. the ones that would be face characters in the parks. Disney is tetchy about its trademarked character designs to the point of absurdity. I consider it a minor miracle that we got Princess minidolls with the same head design as Friends.

Yes, I agree, this discussion was had a couple of weeks back too. To all those saying that they want normal heads as it means they can reuse parts in other creations, why would Disney want you doing that? Their characters are their characters - the hair styles, the heads and faces, the dresses and outfits, all of it. I doubt they want you removing parts and using them on other characters. Another minor miracle is that these aren't glued to stop you doing it with body parts.

Edited by MAB

Personally, I don't mind the use of moulded heads :classic: In my opinion, the Simpsons minifigs wouldn't have worked with regular heads (as proven by the TV special) and I think the same applies here, especially for the villains who probably wouldn't look right with normal heads :wink: This whole debate reminds me of the Squidward minifigs:

bob003.jpgbob020.jpg

https://img.bricklink.com/ML/bob003.jpg

https://img.bricklink.com/ML/bob020.jpg

I think it's pretty clear which one represents the character better :laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

I think the Simpsons would have looked fine with normal heads, but they're regular people. As for Squidward, I think any character that has a weird non-human head would probably look better with a molded head.

I'm fine with molded heads for human villians. However if they do that I would much rather they make the face printed and match the Lego style. I think they can make molded heads with standard faces and have them fit into the Lego look.

Seeing that this is a May release I'm really betting on seeing at least a couple Alice characters considering that the sequel comes out that month.

I just hope it'd be the classic animated Alice. I don't like the Burton take on it, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want those films' Hatter and Red Queen.

I just hope it'd be the classic animated Alice. I don't like the Burton take on it, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want those films' Hatter and Red Queen.

An original Mad Hatter would be cool, too. I don't really like the Queen, either version. But animated Alice, definitely.

I wouldn't mind the Johnny Depp Mad Hatter actually. He's brilliant in the role (although I'm of the opposing opinion of liking the live-action version, even if the animated version is better).

The thing about Burton's films is that the style is always impressive, even when the story isn't, so a less-than excellent film could produce some excellent minifigures. The Hatter would look great.

To all those saying that they want normal heads as it means they can reuse parts in other creations, why would Disney want you doing that? Their characters are their characters - the hair styles, the heads and faces, the dresses and outfits, all of it. I doubt they want you removing parts and using them on other characters. Another minor miracle is that these aren't glued to stop you doing it with body parts.

If that's what Disney is like, I'm sorry they even gave a license to LEGO, they could have gone with Playmobil, they can't be disassembled so they wouldn't have a problem.

The Simpsons would have worked with normal heads just fine.

If that's what Disney is like, I'm sorry they even gave a license to LEGO, they could have gone with Playmobil, they can't be disassembled so they wouldn't have a problem.

Would you rather LEGO do the job properly or make it basic and as a result not look enough like the characters (as would have happened with Simpsons IMO)?

You're mistaking Playmobil for a licensing company. But Disney knows what LEGO is and what their sets will be used for. They wouldn't prohibit creative play, they'd just restrict some character-specific molds.

I don't expect to see any character from a live action movie in this series

I feel the same way. It's far more likely we'll see animated characters. Hopefully the molded heads will be kept to a minimum so that they still look like and can work interchangeably with LEGO.

Would you rather LEGO do the job properly or make it basic and as a result not look enough like the characters (as would have happened with Simpsons IMO)?

I don't care about the characters if they are not minifigures, and i believe the lego minifigure is registered as a trademark with the cylindrical head included. I don't like happy meal toys, but i'm sure they are accurate representations.

I don't wish to defend my case further, we simply disagree, nothing to do but wait and see.

Does anyone think that all the minifigures in this series will be only from disney movies? I kind of want them to have a mix of the movies and disney cartoons like Disney's Duck Tales & Disney's Adventure of The Gummi Bears, and even some from the Gargoyles cartoon that was also produced by Disney. The possibilities are endless.

Does anyone think that all the minifigures in this series will be only from disney movies? I kind of want them to have a mix of the movies and disney cartoons like Disney's Duck Tales & Disney's Adventure of The Gummi Bears, and even some from the Gargoyles cartoon that was also produced by Disney. The possibilities are endless.

It's a mixture of classic, modern Disney, and Pixar.

Definitely not getting characters like that in the first series. Maybe if this keeps going for a while we could see some lesser ones like that. Maybe.

When you say modern do you mean people like Elsa, Rapunzel, and Hiro?

Thanks. So there is some variety. It'll be interesting to see what we get for this series.

I don't see why not. Live action is taking over Disney right now. Through the looking glass is a sequel to a billion dollar film, I tend to think there's at least a decent probability that they'll try cashing in on that.

I think at least a few live action characters will make the list, but then again it's hard to say what direction Disney will choose to take this.

I don't see why not. Live action is taking over Disney right now. Through the looking glass is a sequel to a billion dollar film, I tend to think there's at least a decent probability that they'll try cashing in on that.

I think at least a few live action characters will make the list, but then again it's hard to say what direction Disney will choose to take this.

I can see "why not". While a few of the live-action movies have turned out okay they don't even scratch how iconic, magical, and popular the original animations are. Alice may have made over a billion dollars, but the film itself has very mixed reviews and is regarded one of the Burton movies where it shows he is losing his touch. Excluding maybe Into The Woods (which has a handful of characters that have been done in animation anyway) the live-action appearances of the characters just aren't as iconic or even child friendly to an extent (I say "to an extent" because while it is child friendly it does have a much darker, grittier approach than the original) as their animated counterparts. I mean sure it is possible and maybe even preferred (at least with Mad Hatter and Maleficent in my opinion) I wouldn't bet any making it into the series at all...

Edited by Coca-Cola

Disney's live action has been very meh these past few years. Although I heard Cinderella was good. I think Alice in Wonderland figs would be cool though, I actually prefer some of the live action designs over the originals, like Chesire Cat (who would be awesome!)