just2good

Disney Collectible Minifigures Series 1 Discussion

25792555124_3e9187770e_z.jpg

Omg, the perfect Buzz Lightyear! I will get 2 and buy Buzz on Bricklink to do this. So sweet! How hard was it to pop out the arms on the old torso and the new one to put in the old Buzz torso?

Omg, the perfect Buzz Lightyear! I will get 2 and buy Buzz on Bricklink to do this. So sweet! How hard was it to pop out the arms on the old torso and the new one to put in the old Buzz torso?

Surely there's no reason to use the old torso when it's gonna be covered by the suit piece.

Don't want to risk it! I'll try it with the second copy I get. :grin:

Notify the rest of us instantly so we get a chance too when Series 16 pops up. :thumbup::wink:

Alright, fair enough. Actually, last time I had something like this was with Series 13. Only other time a series was up early on TRU.

If that happened, then people would complain about her not having torso printing. There's always something wrong.

I don't see it as much as complaining or that its wrong. I see it as tips/ideas ti improve on future series.

Also, glad to see some people are seeing these be out so early. I won't be relying on release dates anymore :grin:

I didn't get to go tonight but someone else I know has been calling other Minnesota stores - the ones closest to me have them but refuse to sell them until May 1st. We'll see if I go later this week!

For some reason I thought it was Thursday or something, I was confused. :tongue:

There's no need to pop out the arms. The old torso may have more printing on the actual torso, but it's completely covered by the armor; the only printed area on the torso (besides the arms) that remains visible when the armor is on appears essentially identical between the two figures. Getting the perfect Buzz is just a matter of replacing the new head with the old one, if that's what one wants.

Just be happy people who are not usually into lego are interested at all!

Is there really no alternative faces in the whole series? :S

It's nice to see a good ammount of back printing though.

There's no need to pop out the arms. The old torso may have more printing on the actual torso, but it's completely covered by the armor; the only printed area on the torso (besides the arms) that remains visible when the armor is on appears essentially identical between the two figures. Getting the perfect Buzz is just a matter of replacing the new head with the old one, if that's what one wants.

In my opinion, there's no need to switch the head. It's a LEGO figure, so the LEGO head looks best.

In my opinion, there's no need to switch the head. It's a LEGO figure, so the LEGO head looks best.

I agree, with the molded head he sort of looks like you too the head of another toy.

Either one works well. The thing is that "regular" minifigure heads (all of these are minifigure heads, of course; it's just that some are more specific and less traditional) work well for humans, or humanlike characters, but cartoony characters have always gotten specific new molds. The Toy Story characters Buzz, Woody, and Jessie are themselves toys of human characters, but stylized, cartoony ones, and the original, character-specific molds do work well for them. There's nothing wrong with that.

At the same time, though, this whole series follows its own character design logic, which is somewhat different from most other licensed LEGO themes, but it is at least internally consistent. All human characters, or characters with humanlike heads, have traditional minifigure heads. That's why the human Alice, the (super-)human Mr. Incredible, the human Syndrome, the human Aladdin, etc., all have conventional heads - including notably even the human Hook, even though he's a particularly cartoony human with a more stylized head shape than most of the others. It's also why non-humans like Buzz, Ariel, Ursula, and Genie, who all have essentially human-like heads, have traditional minifigure heads here. It works in the context of this series.

However, someone wanting essentially a more detailed version of Buzz Lightyear for the greater overall Toy Story line - one that benefits from the greater printing detail while still retaining design consistency with the rest of the old line (i.e., having a character-specific head mold like Woody and Jessie) - can easily achieve it by simply putting one of the old heads on one of these new figures. That's all. Since this overall Minifigures line has its own aesthetic that differs in a specific, particular way from the Toy Story line, I personally would favor keeping the traditional minifigure head here for Buzz if one is using the minifigure with the rest of these figures, while keeping the molded head from 2010 if one is using it with a bunch of other Toy Story stuff (whether the official sets as-is, or MOCs / MODs using figures and other parts from that line).

Of course, it's all down to one's personal preference anyway; that's what LEGO is all about. My post wasn't about how one "should" play with or display Buzz; it was just pointing out that if one wants a Buzz like I've described now for the purposes I've described, it doesn't need popping arms off a torso, but rather just a simple head swap.

So, about yesterday...

Turns out I was wrong? I called again after the person I mentioned went to go check, and the store that claimed to have them didn't have them I guess?

So I guess still none in Minnesota. Hmph. I will be pretty ticked if this is another S14/15 issue.

It was also revealed a while ago in this thread. Four apiece of Mickey (naturally), Stitch, the Genie, Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, and the Pizza Planet Alien (also naturally), and three apiece of everyone else. A remarkably even distribution, actually.

(That's for a "regular-size" box of sixty, obviously. The proportions may be different for the smaller boxes or the 120-figure endcap units.)

just2good, thanks for the pix! It looks like I'll be combining the head from a 2010 Buzz with the remaining parts from one of these for an "ultimate" Buzz. I wonder whether they'll do Woody and / or Jessie in Series 2...

So Buzz will be harder to get hold of than Mickey and the Genie then?

That's annoying. Why can't there be the same number of each minfiigure made?

It looks like their are two different bags for this series after all...

The first pictures that had them available in the stores was the Donald bag and now just2good's video shows the one with hook. That's so weird.

Because 60 isn't divisible by 18?

Because 60 isn't evenly divisible by 18. But at least this is a much, much more even distribution than some of the "regular" series, which might have anywhere from as few as 2 per box to as many as 6 per box of a particular minifigure (excluding Mr. Gold from Series 10, who was intentionally made substantially rarer than everyone else from that series, with fewer than one per box - only one box out of several would have one).

It's also possible that this is just the distribution in the early part of the production run, and that later in the run it'll change, so that later boxes will have, say, four apiece of certain characters who are three-per-box now, while the ones who are four-per-box now will drop down to three; IIRC, something like this was done with Series 3 of the "regular" line, and perhaps others. I wouldn't count on it, though, but that's mainly because the distribution is already the most balanced one they've ever done. I wouldn't worry too much about being able to get Buzz, though - there are already a ton of the previous Buzz minifigures out there, after all, which should help prevent the demand for this new Buzz from getting too crazy.

My local TRU said they will be in the truck on Friday and will be on shelfs soon. But thats what they said about the last cmf series but instead they just put out more monsters.

Just picked up a full set at Target. I would upload pictures but I am new here, and need to setup an account with an image hosting service.

Edited by coveng

Just picked up a full set at Target. I would upload pictures but I am new here, and need to setup an account with an image hosting service.

Just upload them to Imgur

They're apparently out in Texas, Michigan, North Carolina, and more.

Also Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland Targets have them in stock it seems. If there is a Target in your area I would check it, all the zip codes I've put in have shown multiple stores in the area with them in stock.