If you choose one of the individual sets, in the small table at the top right of the page there is a link "More Information" :thumbup:

Edited by phool

If you choose one of the individual sets, in the small table at the top right of the page there is a link "More Information" :thumbup:

Yesterday, I did realize it after a few time, me dumb :laugh: .

Edited by Plastic Nurak

Hi Blakbird..

curious why there's no reference at all to the original crown/bevel gear, in your Technical Fundamentals page... especially since it's been around since 1977!

RB

curious why there's no reference at all to the original crown/bevel gear, in your Technical Fundamentals page... especially since it's been around since 1977!

Because from a functional standpoint it is no different than any other spur gear or bevel gear. It works on the same principles. As for why I didn't include it in my list of historical gears, I guess I forgot! One more thing to add to the list.

I only can say: Wow!

Great work!

The Technical Fundamentals helped me to find out if I have all the important technic parts :-D

Keep up the good work, Blakbird!

The Technical Fundamentals helped me to find out if I have all the important technic parts :-D

If you are looking for a list of technic parts, I also recommend Jim Hughes' Technica. He has an element registry that has photos of every type of Technic part up until about the year 2000. It is an invaluable resource. It has not been updated in a long time, but it is still very useful for older parts. Here are a few samples:

73071.gif32009.gif32192.gif

Hi,

If you are looking for a list of technic parts, I also recommend Jim Hughes' Technica. He has an element registry that has photos of every type of Technic part up until about the year 2000. It is an invaluable resource. It has not been updated in a long time, but it is still very useful for older parts. Here are a few samples:

I know Technica and I have it in my bookmarks. But your way of presenting new parts is more appealing to me :-) For referencing, Technica is great. But to see how the parts have evolved I found your Technicopedia more informative. Perhaps because you present new parts introduced each year, on the same page where all the new sets are presented. There I get a better overview and understanding of why a new part was made.

Just few words to say that what you did eric is fantastic et very helpfull, for the community and the no-AFOL. A very good explanation to popularize the mechanism and to present sets. As far as I know, french people like your work and we link several timme your website. So good job Eric, keep working ! :thumbup:

But to see how the parts have evolved I found your Technicopedia more informative. Perhaps because you present new parts introduced each year, on the same page where all the new sets are presented. There I get a better overview and understanding of why a new part was made.

Yes, this is what appeals to me too. The thought that for example, the grooves on the standard inline axle joiner, would have been designed with the driving ring in mind, would never have crossed my mind. However seeing in Technicopedia the first is from 1993 and the second from 1994. As pointed out in the 1993 Technicopedia article, this is probably not a coincidence :)

To be honest, the thing I'd like to see updated the most, is simply the yearly articles on sets and parts in a specific year :)

I really do love your site blackbird please keep up the good work. It is a very valuable recource to the AFOL community and i'm very greatful for it. There are many sets I couldn't get as a kid but after seeing your review of the universal set from 1993 (the one with the micro motor in it) I just had to find one, and the set is amazing. Built the bob-cat first, great model. Thankyou for showing me how great this set is. Can't wait for 1996 (SPACE SHUTTLE!).

Just wondering Blakbird if you had the chance to work as a designer for Lego in the technic team, you could design a set with pieces in new colours and even design completely new elements, so what set would you design? What colours would you have and what new parts would it have?

Just a quick update on some developments...

I'm going to have a Technicopedia related display at BrickCon next week, so as part of that effort I decided to finally register the domain name technicopedia.com which is now working. For the moment, the links with the old address should still work to, but may not work forever. Anyone with links or bookmarks to my site should update them to the new stable address.

Just a quick update on some developments...

I'm going to have a Technicopedia related display at BrickCon next week, so as part of that effort I decided to finally register the domain name technicopedia.com which is now working. For the moment, the links with the old address should still work to, but may not work forever. Anyone with links or bookmarks to my site should update them to the new stable address.

Eurobricks should implement a "Like" button, like facebook. I would "Like" this post :classic:

I have been building many of the old Universal models recently, after Technicopedia's descriptions brought them to my attention. :thumbup: Do you have any plans to add the alternate models for non-Universal sets to the site?

I have been building many of the old Universal models recently, after Technicopedia's descriptions brought them to my attention. :thumbup: Do you have any plans to add the alternate models for non-Universal sets to the site?

Wait until he does all the primary models first! ;)

that's several years in the making as it stands!

2 years ago, I sat down and rebuilt ALL my main Technic Models... but in the last 6 months, I've pulled nearly all of them apart..

over the next year, I might build all the alternates... especially since there's a few I've never built before!

RB

Yes! In fact I've already done so for 1977 and 1978, but it turns out I made them kind of hard to find. There's a link at the top of each model page which says "more information" and leads to the alternate models. I need to figure out a way to make this more obvious. I'll be doing all of the others at some point.

Blakbird, for your BrickCon 2010 display in Seattle next weekend, are you going to promote your "Blakbird's Technical Fundamentals" webpage? The Beta Test Version that you discussed here in June 2010 does not have a link from your Technicopedia website. Even though there are still "Sections in Work" on the "Technical Fundamentals" webpage, you should release what you have to help newcomers understand Technic better. :blush:

Blakbird, for your BrickCon 2010 display in Seattle next weekend, are you going to promote your "Blakbird's Technical Fundamentals" webpage? The Beta Test Version that you discussed here in June 2010 does not have a link from your Technicopedia website. Even though there are still "Sections in Work" on the "Technical Fundamentals" webpage, you should release what you have to help newcomers understand Technic better. :blush:

I'm actually teaching a class on motors and gears, I will draw extensively from the Fundamentals page during that session (along with providing the web address for more information). I don't really have a way to promote it during the public display though. I'm still trying to figure out a good place to link it from the main content of the page.

It seems Technicopedia is about to be updated!

The home page already has links for the Technical Fundamentals and 1996 (it's still not there, though) :grin:

It seems Technicopedia is about to be updated!

The home page already has links for the Technical Fundamentals and 1996 (it's still not there, though) :grin:

Thanks for mentioning that; it is actually a mistake. I updated it to add a link to the fundamentals page since I am showing it at BrickCon, but I accidentally uploaded some of my work on 1996 on the home page as well. Sadly, 1996 is nowhere near ready since I am still rebuilding my collection.

We haven't seen any updates on Technicopedia for a while; so in the words of the great Bugs Bunny: "What's up Doc?"

Due to the massive amount of work required for each update (lots of writeups, a bazillion computer animations showing how everything works and so on) it usually takes several months between updates. However this time Blakbird has had the ENVIOUS task of dismantleing and rebuilding every technic set ever made, so it'll be an even longer wait this time, but i'm really looking forward to 1996 (SPACE SHUTTLE!)

Due to the massive amount of work required for each update (lots of writeups, a bazillion computer animations showing how everything works and so on) it usually takes several months between updates. However this time Blakbird has had the ENVIOUS task of dismantleing and rebuilding every technic set ever made, so it'll be an even longer wait this time, but i'm really looking forward to 1996 (SPACE SHUTTLE!)

That's right. In fact I've just finished building all of the Technic sets about 2 weeks ago. I have about a dozen MOCs to rebuild as well, then it will be back to Technicopedia. I actually have a good start on 1996, but I still need to do the animations.

As long as it takes less than one year to do one year, he'll eventually catch up :grin:

Indeed that's the way I look at it sometimes. In this case, it really has been almost a year, but that should not be a normal trend. I just had a lot of building to do. I'm actually really looking forward to catching up with the present, at which point I will go back and add more features to the web site for older years.

Is Technicopedia under construction, it seems that it can not be open at the moment, or actually can not do it in few days?

http://www.technicopedia.com/

It gives 403:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request".

Any information about this?