LEGO Train 12 Volts

Santa Fe 549 GE B40 8W

Santa Fe 549 GE B40 8W

Hello everyone, after finding the gorgeous model realized by Daniel Aubin (known as Dan-147) on railbricks I wanted to make my version 6 studs wide to use the windscreen and the front sticker :grin: of my second set 10020 just intended for the construction of the B unit of Santa Fe Super Chief!

sf549-001.jpg

sf549-002.jpg

sf549-003.jpg

Now the two locomotives form a pair and they enrich my collection of American trains. :wub:

sf549-033.jpg

Credits go to Dan-147 also for its gondola wagon that I wanted to combine with two flat wagons to complete the convoy.

sf549-009.jpg

sf549-028.jpg

The locomotive, for my first time, is controlled by the amazing Sbrick that can be placed deep inside the structure of the MOC without create any receiving trouble.

sf549-021.jpg

sf549-022.jpg

sf549-023.jpg

sf549-024.jpg

sf549-026.jpg

The customization of the command was another fun aspect as the possibility to control the lights with two different buttons.

sf549-015.jpg

sf549-016.jpg

sf549-017.jpg

sf549-018.jpg

sf549-019.jpg

sf549-020.jpg

The stickers are customized and I think they provide a touch of realism to this beautiful locomotive.

sf549-008.jpg

sf549-010.jpg

sf549-014.jpg

Enjoy the pictures! :laugh:

sf549-004.jpg

sf549-005.jpg

sf549-006.jpg

sf549-007.jpg

sf549-011.jpg

sf549-012.jpg

sf549-013.jpg

sf549-027.jpg

sf549-029.jpg

sf549-030.jpg

sf549-031.jpg

sf549-032.jpg

sf549-034.jpg

sf549-035.jpg

sf549-036.jpg

sf549-037.jpg

sf549-038.jpg

sf549-039.jpg

sf549-040.jpg

sf549-041.jpg

sf549-042.jpg

See you with my next locomotive! :wink:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Looks great! At first I thought 8W meant 8-wide. I was looking at the hood thinking to myself, that isnt 8. then I realized it meant 8 wheels.

I'm going to finish my coffee before I try thinking any more today.

I was looking at the hood thinking to myself, that isnt 8. then I realized it meant 8 wheels.

I was thinking the same thing but the model taken as reference was seven 7 wide so I realized (like you) than Dan-147 was talking about wheels! :tongue:

Well done. Looks great on the pictures that loaded so far. That is a lot of pictures. It is still loading... :laugh:

Well done! Color is spot on and makes a good representation of the last of Santa Fe power!

My only critique is when I saw the nose I assumed the model was an EMD GP series locomotive and not a GE B40. If you can tweak the nose a bit it will look a little more accurate.

Nice model.I actually feel your cab is better than my original one. Those wide cabs are so hard to get right. You've made so may changes to it that you can now say that its your own. By the way, the 8 stands for Dash 8 meaning it was the 8th series of locomotives that GE produced (sort of like A4, A5 for Volkswagen Golfs).

I'm glad you liked the bathtub gondola. They're used for coal in large unit trains (long string of identical cars) and are unloaded in a rotary dumper than rolls them on their side. I've been meaning to build a rotary dumper for ages but I couldn't find the right pieces. With this year's release of the Technic Bucket Excavator I'll finally have the perfect curved Technic beams.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

Hallelujah! It looks AWESOME!

Wow! Just wow!

Thanks a lot!

You've made so may changes to it that you can now say that its your own. By the way, the 8 stands for Dash 8 meaning it was the 8th series of locomotives that GE produced

Dan-147

Hey Dan-147 the copyright is yours and I'm glad you like this version. :classic:

Thanks also for your clarification! :thumbup:

First there were these BRs - and so many beautiful engines.

Then you created this yellow UP dream train.

And now this.

And the 4-wide back section - it gives this beautiful engine the exact right proportion.

As always: Masterful!

With very best regards,

Thorsten

What is the switch on the side for?

Can you explain the lighting wiring more.

I'm working on building an engine with my sbrick.

Great locomotive, and I like the lay out on your mobile for controlling the thing :classic:

Thanks for sharing!

First there were these BRs - and so many beautiful engines.

Thanks my friend ...and BRs aren't finished yet! :wink:

What is the switch on the side for?

Can you explain the lighting wiring more.

The switch is used to power on the Sbrick because the battery pack isn't the standard lego battery pack

For the leds I've realized two different diode bridges (one for the front and one for the back) to avoid the lights burning

Great locomotive, and I like the lay out on your mobile for controlling the thing :classic:

Thanks, it's was funny do that interface! :classic:

Good looking locomotive and gondola car. The details on your Dash 8 are quite nice and I like how everything fits into the 4 wide hood.

It is very interesting to me, and which of these two locomotives prefer to the author of this work? :wink:

sf549-033.jpg

Why do I now want to see a blue bonnet engine in the fleet too along with an orange BNSF SD70 rolling by?

...that's the problem were I live; to much Armour Yellow ;)

Wow, very nice looking locomotive! The shaping on it is especially impressive for being a 6-wide engine containing all the electronics in a 4-wide hood.Great job!

Which of these two locomotives prefer the author of this work? :wink:

I love both of them! :wub:

I like how everything fits into the 4 wide hood.

That was the hard part! :wink:

...that's the problem were I live; to much Armour Yellow ;)

Oh I see the lovely UP yellow in your avatar ...where I live there isn't such a beautiful livery for trains! :grin:

The shaping on it is especially impressive for being a 6-wide engine

I agree, my luck was the SBrick this time! :thumbup:

Great work...love it!!

Thanks LegoSjaak! :classic:

Where might I find the stickers for my son? He wants to build this locomotive.

Thanks

Edited by SuperD

Where might I find the stickers for my son? He wants to build this locomotive.

Thanks

Model railroad stores sell decals for train products. O-Gauge is roughly close in scale to Lego Trains, so the stickers can be compatible. When in doubt, use photos of the real engine to see if the stickers are sized right.

A water slide decal produces better looks than a sticker, but it's results are more permenant. I don't know how well they'd work on Lego.