Um... I'm kinda lost. Aside from the nonexistent steering and 4-speed gearbox, what else does this thing do? And if there's no HOG, how do you even control the steering?!

1-Not much, and 2-Here's a hint, how do you steer a real car?

Um... I'm kinda lost. Aside from the nonexistent steering and 4-speed gearbox, what else does this thing do?

It has a huge coffeetable book, that makes it ULTIMATE!

Um... I'm kinda lost. Aside from the nonexistent steering and 4-speed gearbox, what else does this thing do? And if there's no HOG, how do you even control the steering?!

its obviously more of a display model, obvious with the amount of qork put into the body, hardly any gaps...truckload of panels covering every square inch. i guess its just something you put in a glass case and look at, not for playing with.

It seems to me that offset if as big as possible

what the hell is offset?....what wheels are these?

what the hell is offset?....what wheels are these?

The new Porsche rims allow the wheel hubs to be inserted deeper than in existing rims. This brings the steering axis closer to the center of the wheel, hence a better steering offset.

Edited by Didumos69

I'm amazed by all the negativity we're seeing here, not only before the set is actually released but before any full reviews have even been published. Apparently it doesn't take a lot to sway public opinion...

Having helped my little brother build the set for his review, I have to say it's quite satisfying. Mind you, I'm not a diehard Technic builder by any means, but I found the turning radius to be sufficient and am in awe of the intricacy of the transmission and paddle shifters. It's a heck of a lot more complex and interesting than any other large Technic set I've built over the years—plenty "ultimate" for my taste.

Oh, and for 1974's sake, the box is gorgeous and sturdy, on par with Ideas sets. The only thing any '80s boxes had over it were flaps and windows, which are a totally impractical feature these days when theft of special parts is common and large expensive sets like this are often wrapped in a security device in most stores anyway.

I'm amazed by all the negativity we're seeing here, not only before the set is actually released but before any full reviews have even been published. Apparently it doesn't take a lot to sway public opinion...

Having helped my little brother build the set for his review, I have to say it's quite satisfying. Mind you, I'm not a diehard Technic builder by any means, but I found the turning radius to be sufficient and am in awe of the intricacy of the transmission and paddle shifters. It's a heck of a lot more complex and interesting than any other large Technic set I've built over the years—plenty "ultimate" for my taste.

Oh, and for 1974's sake, the box is gorgeous and sturdy, on par with Ideas sets. The only thing any '80s boxes had over it were flaps and windows, which are a totally impractical feature these days when theft of special parts is common and large expensive sets like this are often wrapped in a security device in most stores anyway.

I don't care one way or another about the box, but hadn't thought about the security device thing! Thanks for that reminder. :)

Yeah, because nothing spells the height of security like the current cereal box! Besides the stores I see them in don't have the security device, they have staff!

How much negativity is there really? Are there a lot of people with one negative post? OR (as I suspect) just a few people with several negative posts each?

I think the set looks fantastic! The features, great! Who cares about HoG steering, I'm not going to "play" with it anyway. I am looking forward to the complexity of the build (new or interesting techniques) and interesting mechanical functions. Lots of parts and techniques for me to re-use.

Some folks keep calling this an "Ultimate" set, I believe this is a name given here by some posters, not TLG.

Before I comment more about the set, I would like to see Jim and Sariel's reviews... That will tell more of the story than most of the "complaints" we have seen here.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Some folks keep calling this an "Ultimate" set, I believe this is a name given here by some posters, not TLG.
Leaked naming already had word "Ultimate", which came, one or another way, from TLG. So it is not something community has given. And then each person has his own level for ultimacy, which Porsche does keep up, thus the negativity.

Lego has been using the hashtag #LEGOTechnicUltimate on their Facebook page every time they make an update about the Porsche.. They started doing this when they first posted the "911 Hours" teaser video back in April.. They have also been using #LEGOTechnicUltimateDad which is probably a good marketing strategy since Father's Day is June 19th.. I think there is also some type of contest for fathers to win a set..

Edited by Paul Boratko

Lego has been using the hashtag #LEGOTechnicUltimate on their Facebook page every time they make an update about the Porsche.. They started doing this when they first posted the "911 Hours" teaser video back in April.. They have also been using #LEGOTechnicUltimateDad which is probably a good marketing strategy since Father's Day is June 19th.. I think there is also some type of contest for fathers to win a set..

Guess I was wrong...

Sorry...

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Are you a plant from TLG? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding. But seriously are you?

The Price for sure is Ultimate, so the model should be too.

indeed...the Star Wars Hoth UCS set is also getting a pasting......

i will reserve judgement until i see Jim and Sariel's reviews..........

How much negativity is there really? Are there a lot of people with one negative post? OR (as I suspect) just a few people with several negative posts each?

I think the set looks fantastic! The features, great! Who cares about HoG steering, I'm not going to "play" with it anyway. I am looking forward to the complexity of the build (new or interesting techniques) and interesting mechanical functions. Lots of parts and techniques for me to re-use.

Before I comment more about the set, I would like to see Jim and Sariel's reviews... That will tell more of the story than most of the "complaints" we have seen here.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

it looks amazing, has a superb collection of parts....even if one buy it for the parts and creates there own MOC's that should be enough.

i personally will wait to see if i can get it at a reduced price....i am more interested in the BWE tbh.

First teaser by TLG. You tell me who's talking about Ultimate :wink:

Screenshot%202016-04-24%2014.04.30.png

Screenshot%202016-04-24%2014.04.04.png

From the video:

What Paul said :sweet::thumbup:

I did some math on the steering angle. The half stud travel of the gear rack (measured from the center) results in a max steering angle of 14.4°, theoratically spoken that is. Slack dictates us to make rough estimations only. Let's take it positive and give it 15° max steering angle. I've seen MOCs with less.

Not to add to negativity, just trying to find facts. Anyone should judge for him-/herself whether this steering angle suits the car or not.

400x183.jpg

(Measurements from heart-to-heart)

Edited by Didumos69

Received my copy today. That means I really need to do my best to complete my review before the 1st of June. Sleep mode off....review mode on!

Received my copy today. That means I really need to do my best to complete my review before the 1st of June. Sleep mode off....review mode on!

Cool, enjoy :)

I Believe in You Jim :-)

Jim if you need any assistance, I mean just any, call or mail :tongue:

That includes even disposing the bags :tongue:

First teaser by TLG. You tell me who's talking about Ultimate :wink:

Technically (it's only Monday, you should see my puns on a Friday), TLG only claims they're modelling the Ultimate in that teaser: in effect, they state that the Porsche itself is the ultimate, and not their model.

(I do wonder how Ferrari will like that viewpoint :laugh: )

Technically (it's only Monday, you should see my puns on a Friday), TLG only claims they're modelling the Ultimate in that teaser: in effect, they state that the Porsche itself is the ultimate, and not their model.

Jim...dude....I can't argue with that :tongue:

Jim if you need any assistance, I mean just any, call or mail :tongue:

That includes even disposing the bags :tongue:

:laugh:

Still have 3 hours, 3 minutes and 14 seconds left at work....."duuurt lang" as we say in Holland.