Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

What does UCS stand for nowadays? Ultimate Collector's Super Pack?

Sorry but I really don't like the new Assault on Hoth set. It's just a 4 in 1 Super Pack with updated minifigures AND another Snowspeeder :sadnew: The Death Star and Ewok Village are a lot better. That's how UCS Sets should look like!

Is the Vader in the A-Wing set stylized like the Rebels Stormtroopers?

Sorta. Can't quite tell, but the helmet looks a little different, either a different sculpt or maybe just deco? The torso print is different, too, reflecting ANH Vader more.

- Some kind of Silver/Gray Protocol Droid (Episode II 3PO?)

Probably E-3PO. Episode II C-3PO wouldn't just be all silver.

Battlefront is canon too. :wink:

Wookieepedia calls it canon, but that's rather meaningless as there's no story to it. Some used to claim it meant Boba survived ROTJ because they confused his preview appearance at Celebration on Tatooine with being on Jakku, but it doesn't matter what heroes appear in the game, or where... They're just a game function. ROTJ Luke didn't fight in the Battle of Hoth, after all.

Any idea who the black hand that's punching out of the ground at the bottom of the advent box belongs to?

Possibly, the Imperial Navy Trooper.

Sooo I just watched the latest episode of Rebels and who else would love a Rodian-driving modified yellow TIE fighter with a decaled Stormtrooper helmet-wearing Kenan. Oh and of course Ezra with a decaled helmet riding a brick-built space whale. I would so buy that set! Maybe like a $40 set or so.

I like the Hoth set but I think we should disregard the UCS title as this clearly is not one, just a very large and expensive playset. If people looked at it that way, I think they'd be happier. I like Rex's AT-TE, although I really wish he used the short white beard from the CMF line, I fully expected him to so I'm rather surprised it won't be included. The tents and overhangs on the vehicle aren't very well represented I feel, as the bright yellow and blue panels just don't look like fabric overhangs and are a bit too bright. Also, the main cannon doesn't have a crane feature which is surprising considering how prominent it was in the episodes the vehicle was featured in.

Darth Vader's TIE Advanced and the A-Wing is a must have set for sure, excellent vehicles and a pretty good minifig selection. But that price tag, $90 are you kidding me!?! MAYBE $70, more like $40-$50. That is insanely overpriced, even for a Star Wars set, heck for a licensed set. If I can find it on sale I'll get it but not at that price tag, sheesh.

The encounter on Jakku is neat, the figures are good, the building is me but the creature is really cool. I like the combination of brick-built and special creature leg molds, the result looks superb and it lends itself to greater reusabillity, especially since it has studs on the leg molds. The bright blue is a horrible eye sore though, they should have gone with dark grey for greater accuracy, my gosh that is eye-seering.

The resistence X-Wing looks really nice, if not an exact replica of Poe's in a different color. The only thing I would have changed is the inclusion of a turret on the underside of the craft to better represent the scene from the movie. Finn with a bloodstained helmet would have been really cool but would likely never happen for obvious reasons.

Imperial Personel battle pack would be amazing!!

Minifigures could include:

Imperial Navy troper, imperial officer, tie fighter pilot, and a standard stormtrooper

Do they not realize how fast that would sell? Besides we need a set that would allow us to army build the Empire with all the updated prints and molds. Plus that is the very essence of a battlepack, one that entices you to make the emperor's arrival scene if you buy a hundred of them

I thought Lor San Tekka had Aragorn's legs for a minute. :tongue: As pointed out before, it's really funny how there's a fire extinguisher in that set.

Don't worry, Quinlan and Luminara have neutral faces as well. I can't find them in pictures from this toy fair, but pictures from the Nuremberg toy fair showed their alternate heads.

Thank Goodness. :thumbup:

Is the Vader in the A-Wing set stylized like the Rebels Stormtroopers?

I would assume it's the same as the one in the Final Duel set with the two piece helmet.

Sooo I just watched the latest episode of Rebels and who else would love a Rodian-driving modified yellow TIE fighter with a decaled Stormtrooper helmet-wearing Kenan. Oh and of course Ezra with a decaled helmet riding a brick-built space whale. I would so buy that set! Maybe like a $40 set or so.

I'm with you. I love that yellow TIE Fighter.

http://img.lum.dolimg.com/v1/images/ive-got-em-sw_e42a82d8.jpeg?region=0%2C49%2C1560%2C780&width=768

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/star-wars-canon/images/5/57/NBUqmAA.png/revision/latest?cb=20160117052456

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2016/02/09/rebia13355jpg-0d7c75_765w.jpg

Would that be the AAT? Or is the one you're missing the AAT? (There is something here in response, by the way. :wink: I kept it white.)

Overall, the builds for the Advent calendar look really good this year. I can almost tell what they all are. That random stud shooter? Is that supposed to be something?

It's in this photo. There's definitely a brown thing there and I have absolutely no idea what it is. Maybe it's Dooku's speeder bike but even that doesn't seem right.

I will say that there appears to be a surprising lack of weapons racks this year, especially compared to the 2015 AC which was replete with them. Maybe they're finally wising up and including the weapons with the minifigures. There's only a few builds there that I can look at and say that they stink, that random stud shooter included.

Edited by ResIpsaLoquitur

It's in this photo. There's definitely a brown thing there and I have absolutely no idea what it is. Maybe it's Dooku's speeder bike but even that doesn't seem right.

Its the little desert skiff that Luke and Han are on from the sarlacc pit

Meanwhile, New York City: a BEST TOY OF THE YEAR 2016 award goes to The LEGO Group for Star Wars: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon (best boy toy)!

Neat! :excited:

It's just irritating that they have a price for boy and girl toys... I want my daugther to play with anything she feels like without any labling... I don't want her to know there is anything as made for girls or boys...

So from what I'm getting, Rebels Vader hasn't gone as drastic of a change as the Stormtroopers?

I GUESS I'll get that set then :hmpf::tongue:

If vader is relatively the same I might try and get that set! Still annoyed Tarkin has a dark tan uniform

Its the little desert skiff that Luke and Han are on from the sarlacc pit

OK. I guess I can see it compared to larger Skiff pictures, but it's a pretty poor representation at that scale. There are some things that just shouldn't be replicated at that size if you lose that much accuracy. (Plus, it's going to look huge compared to last year's Sail Barge and Sarlaac pit.)

It's just irritating that they have a price for boy and girl toys... I want my daugther to play with anything she feels like without any labling... I don't want her to know there is anything as made for girls or boys...

My nine year old daughter would agree with the Lego MF as toy of the year. I think gender-specific categories should go the way of the dinosaur. Toy type categories such as dolls, construction toys etc would seem more appropriate (and probably exist). Toy companies will still market toys by gender regardless of awards. Even in many retailers I've been to Lego is segregated by "gender" ie. Friends, Elves and Disney Princess are in the dolls section and everything else is in the "boys" section.

I don't have a CTT, so I will be buying it because I don't want to overpay for the older sets. I will also be buying vaders tie vs awing (mainly for the awing) to rebuild my old collection

Bah hahahaha it IS Dengar, what did we tell those doubters.

The blue ship looks a bit chunky to me, might have to wait and see the TV show before I consider the set/minifigs. Probably pass.

X-wing & TIE/A-wing are a "go-ahead" as expected, however I'll be hitting BL for Inquisitor, Hoth droids, Plutt & Teedo. Probably get the calendar. CTT jedi I'm unsure.

Still anticipating the Ahsoka set. I like the idea of yellow TIEs, hint hint TLG. Throw in some recoloured Sabine/Kanan helmets maybe? :wink:

So from what I'm getting, Rebels Vader hasn't gone as drastic of a change as the Stormtroopers?

I GUESS I'll get that set then :hmpf::tongue:

What's wrong with the Rebels Stormtroopers? I quite like them, they have leg printing and their helmets make them look taller than normal OT stormies.

My nine year old daughter would agree with the Lego MF as toy of the year. I think gender-specific categories should go the way of the dinosaur. Toy type categories such as dolls, construction toys etc would seem more appropriate (and probably exist). Toy companies will still market toys by gender regardless of awards. Even in many retailers I've been to Lego is segregated by "gender" ie. Friends, Elves and Disney Princess are in the dolls section and everything else is in the "boys" section.
Agreed, although Elves at least seems to be a bit more gender-spanning. I don't personally like the mini-dolls (over 30 years of getting used to standard mini-figures I guess) but the sets are cool. Interestingly, Toys'R'Us here in Hong Kong doesn't separate them much at all, LEGO is just LEGO. Considering how backwards this place is about other things, I think that's a good thing.

So, having seen all the great pictures from NYTF, it's going to be an expensive summer for me! Not thrilled by the Eclipse Fighter or Star Scavenger sets, but they have desirable minifigures, so I'm sure I'll pick them up at some point. The only other thing I don't like are some of the stickers on Rex's AT-TE - they just seem incomplete, particularly the ones on the blue top deck. Hopefully they're only preliminary stickers.

That being said, there is nothing in this wave that I can envisage buying more than 1 of. I've not said that about a wave since 2012.

Here's a quick price per part comparison for this year's 2016 middle wave.

pXQ6Uyi.jpg

• Blue Squares are the upcoming wave
  • Yellow Triangles are last year's middle wave
  • Black line is the 10c/pc marker. Anything above the line has been considered "good value"
  • Notable standouts are this year's $100-150 sets, which are poor price/part value, as well as the previous two UCS sets, also not great value
  • Basically every Force Awakens set, with the exclusion of the Snowspeeder, haven't been great price/part value

Here's the same chart, adjusted to only show the years

x0U4HAa.jpg

Here's another chart with larger bubbles showing more minfigs in the set

wKNSDcF.jpg

Edited by Scorpus

Here's updated charts with 2016-2011

p9TXEsO.jpg

UCS sets included above

5guEkpF.jpg

Close up of the non-UCS sets

Edited by Scorpus

Expecting LEGO to keep to 10c/piece year on year is unrealistic. Even in a poor economy, there's inflation and fluctuating exchange rates, plus LEGO need to keep investing in new designs, new moulds, ever-increasing energy and material costs. Speaking relatively, LEGO is trending towards getting cheaper compared to the overall cost of living. The prices for the new sets seem pretty fair for what you get.